• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom Halves Forcast: Blames "Excessive Outsourcing"

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Well a company like Capcom may listen to some of those reviews.

They also may be looking around forums and videos to see fan reaction to it.

I myself played the game to form my own opinion on it as well as talked to many others who have played it on youtube videos and various Resident Evil forums and yea, "mixed" would be the right term to use here.

If it wasn't "mixed" than Capcom would have no reason to even consider going back to Resident Evil's "horror roots" with the next game.
Oh I despise RE 6 because I am a Resident Evil fan and a horror fan. It was the worst game of 2012 I played. Although if you watched the video I linked then that guy hits the nail on the head, they are bending reality thinking it will magically come true and honestly looks like they are trying to compare their sales to the CoD amount for it to be considered a hit. Watch the Jimquisition video I linked. He explains it quite well.

IncarnatedDemon

That is true. Lack of action alone doesnt mean much. But it's not alone.

1. Expressing they will "go back to DMC if fans want"
http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/14/capcom-100-behind-new-dmc-original-style-may-return-in-future/
“We want to emphasize that we’re firm believers in that opening one door does not mean that another has to close automatically,” he said. “We are leaving all options on the table, so to speak. We are excited about this new iteration of DmC and are eager to get this into your hands, and we want people to play it and enjoy it. If people are still interested in exploring the other world of DmC that exists, we’re happy to go back to that as well.
This is also a indication of them not considering to create DmC and DMC. Because going back to DMC from DmC means they are leaving DmC behind.

Despite stating they will explore original DMC, there have been no statements or actions saying they will as of now. And this is important because they said "We will if fans want", and fans clearly do. So why have a DMC game not been announced yet?

2. Speaking of DmC as the successor
http://gamingbolt.com/capcom-didnt-want-the-series-to-die-explains-why-dmc-was-outsourced
“With DmC this time, we wanted to avoid the problem that befalls some series where you keep making it with the same team, same hardware, and it tends to decrease and fans move away from it. We wanted to avoid that. We don’t want the series to die,”

“What we decided to do was to add new elements and look for a new developer. Specifically a Western developer that could bring something new to the series, keep it fresh and maybe attract new fans as well.”
There is no sign of them talking about DMC as if it has any relevance for the future in this quote.

3. DmC sequal hinted at
http://www.gamespot.com/news/capcom-aims-for-more-devil-may-cry-in-2015-6378261

"For DMC Devil May Cry, development will require five years due to the time needed to select development companies because of our decision to switch to external development," Haruhiro Tsujimoto said. "But our goal is to reduce the cycle to 2.5 years for subsequent titles in this series."

Here Haruhiro Tsujimoto expresses himself about what serie (DMC or DmC) that is relevant.
DmC being result of outsourcing to Ninja theory
And they want to create DmC sequals every 2.5 years but can't for now because of outsourcing takes time.
Take notice of "DMC Devil May Cry". I mean when we talk about DMC serie, we either say "Devil May Cry serie" or "DMC serie". Here it's clearly speaking of DmC Devil May Cry sequal. Because "DmC Devil May Cry" came with the reboot not the original serie.

4. DMC developers working on Dragon's Dogma?
I read something about that. So wouldn't it make sense to let NT continue making DmC instead of a DMC sequal or prequal?

5. Possible continue collaboration with NT
http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/09/dmc-devil-may-cry-ninja-theory-have-been-amazing-say-capcom/

I then asked Jones for his thoughts on Capcom’s drive to collaborate with Western developers and to create a family of worldwide partners, to which he replied, “There are very few good independent developers, and if you get the chance to lock one or two down and continue to work with them, as a publisher you have to do that.
“Because firstly you’ll never have enough internal capacity – given the expense involved in making games – to keep your portfolio level where it needs to be. Guys like Ninja Theory and Dontnod who – in the case of Ninja Theory have a proven track record of delivering quality products more or less on time, and at an expected level of quality – I mean yeah, you have to keep working with those guys.”

6. DmC Dante being in Playstation allstar (marketing game), while DMC Dante wasn't a second option (excluded out)

7. DmC itself
DmC reboot is repeating DMC story with different implementation and more focus on story and graphics.

8. DmC character
In beginning DmC Dante smoked and was pretty angry and angsty. Let's ignore his mood. But why did he "quit smoking" if we were to see original Dante again?
I'll tell you: Because if people don't like DmC Dante the serie will go down. And this is a indication of them wanting DmC to replace DMC.
And Dante in DmC is far from a independt character. He's basically a different clone of DMC Dante.

Which is stupid, why do that if its a reboot?

There are probably more statements from Capcom but its hard to find.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Oh I despise RE 6 because I am a Resident Evil fan and a horror fan. It was the worst game of 2012 I played. Although if you watched the video I linked then that guy hits the nail on the head, they are bending reality thinking it will magically come true and honestly looks like they are trying to compare their sales to the CoD amount for it to be considered a hit. Watch the Jimquisition video I linked. He explains it quite well.

I wouldn't say RE6 was "bad" per say, it just had a different feel to it.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium

actually, not to long before its release I recall capcom saying that they want to reach out to the COD crowd and gain COD sales with RE6.

It was in a interview not long before it came out and after that I immediately felt Resident Evil 6 would head down the more "action oriented" route.

DragonMaster2010

http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/14/capcom-100-behind-new-dmc-original-style-may-return-in-future/

This is also a indication of them not considering to create DmC and DMC. Because going back to DMC from DmC means they are leaving DmC behind.

Despite stating they will explore original DMC, there have been no statements or actions saying they will as of now. And this is important because they said "We will if fans want", and fans clearly do. So why have a DMC game not been announced yet?

http://gamingbolt.com/capcom-didnt-want-the-series-to-die-explains-why-dmc-was-outsourced

There is no sign of them talking about DMC as if it has any relevance for the future in this quote.

3. DmC sequal hinted at

Here Haruhiro Tsujimoto expresses himself about what serie (DMC or DmC) that is relevant.
And they want to create DmC sequals every 2.5 years but can't for now because of outsourcing takes time.
Take notice of "DMC Devil May Cry". I mean when we talk about DMC serie, we either say "Devil May Cry serie" or "DMC serie". Here it's clearly speaking of DmC Devil May Cry sequal. Because "DmC Devil May Cry" came with the reboot not the original serie.

I read something about that. So wouldn't it make sense to let NT continue making DmC instead of a DMC sequal or prequal?

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/09/dmc-devil-may-cry-ninja-theory-have-been-amazing-say-capcom/

6. DmC Dante being in Playstation allstar (marketing game), while DMC Dante wasn't a second option (excluded out)

7. DmC itself
DmC reboot is repeating DMC story with different implementation and more focus on story and graphics.

8. DmC character
In beginning DmC Dante smoked and was pretty angry and angsty. Let's ignore his mood. But why did he "quit smoking" if we were to see original Dante again?
I'll tell you: Because if people don't like DmC Dante the serie will go down. And this is a indication of them wanting DmC to replace DMC.
And Dante in DmC is far from a independt character. He's basically a different clone of DMC Dante.

Because I want DmC. Simple

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I wouldn't say RE6 was "bad" per say, it just had a different feel to it.

Chris's part of the game was definitely the worse and proof that Capcom was trying to slowly step into the "military shooter" market with it.

90% of the enemies had machine guns and other weaponry.

Jake's wasn't much better in this regard.

And Leon and Ada's campaign where the only saving grace for me since I did get SOME enjoyment finally.

IncarnatedDemon

and you use Metacritic as a source of fair analysis
I don't. It's just you taking what i said out of context:
Metacritic user reviews are below 8. Thats a failure.

And i dont think the reviews are very valid but i cant think the "real" critics i.e IGN, Destructoid would review a game as it is.

So really mixed reviews vs user reviews?
And if you want to really know if the game was a success from a review standpoint, then best way to find that out is finding relatively unbiased Youtube reviewers who doesnt have a site or channel for gaming that is monetarized or whatever.

But going based on "critics" (IGN, Destructoid, Gamespot. etc) is no better than going based on metacritic. Id say its worse.

I was simply making point that IGN, Destructoid or sites that get the "critics" label aren't anymore reliable than metacritic.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

3. DmC sequal hinted at

7. DmC itself

8. DmC character

So you're complaining now how DmC conserved things that made Devil May Cry Devil May Cry? What is this I don't even....

DragonMaster2010

Oh it was bad. It's a mediocre action game. And when you look at its name, you know that's not right.

Huh. So I guess this is why people make fun of its six.
re6crppd.jpg

Dante47

As someone who enjoyed Ninja Theory's take on Devil May Cry, it's sad that Capcom is essentially pointing fingers at them, even though they've halted the development process and made numerous changes to the final product, bad ones at that.
Not to mention Resident Evil 6. It was made by their developers, and arguably the worse out of their recent batch of titles, so blaming the companies they outsourced too due to the games' bad quality is just plain wrong.

Capcom, I've got a plan. Yes, it requires you to understand and comprehend what fans desire.
Firstly, a new, legitimate, Mega Man title. No more of the retro throwbacks, no more cancellations, and no more fighting game shoe-ins of his character. If Metroid, Zelda, Mario, and others have made a successful leap to three-dimensional gaming, then Mega Man must as well, but stay in tune with it's previous traditions.

Then, fulfill the promise of a true Resident Evil title with horror elements. Resident Evil 6 was not scary, not even a little bit. The first three (or four, depending) games were fulled with tension, playing off out worst nightmares.
I want to enter a world of survival horror again, Capcom. Just open the door.

As for there other IPs, like Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, and others, I'm not sure. If they will not let Ninja Theory continue DmC, then we need a long break from the series. Otherwise, there is no point if they won't finish what they started.
I want DmC2, damn it.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
As someone who enjoyed Ninja Theory's take on Devil May Cry, it's sad that Capcom is essentially pointing fingers at them, even though they've halted the development process and made numerous changes to the final product, bad ones at that.
Not to mention Resident Evil 6. It was made by their developers, and arguably the worse out of their recent batch of titles, so blaming the companies they outsourced too due to the games' bad quality is just plain wrong.

Capcom, I've got a plan. Yes, it requires you to understand and comprehend what fans desire.
Firstly, a new, legitimate, Mega Man title. No more of the retro throwbacks, no more cancellations, and no more fighting game shoe-ins of his character. If Metroid, Zelda, Mario, and others have made a successful leap to three-dimensional gaming, then Mega Man must as well, but stay in tune with it's previous traditions.

Then, fulfill the promise of a true Resident Evil title with horror elements. Resident Evil 6 was not scary, not even a little bit. The first three (or four, depending) games were fulled with tension, playing off out worst nightmares.
I want to enter a world of survival horror again, Capcom. Just open the door.

As for there other IPs, like Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, and others, I'm not sure. If they will not let Ninja Theory continue DmC, then we need a long break from the series. Otherwise, there is no point if they won't finish what they started.
I want DmC2, damn it.
I think if DmC2 does happens, it'll be Capcom that will continue it and they'll just bring a few people from Ninja Theory to help out. I'd hate if they did a DMC5 and just gave up on the whole reason for a reboot in the first place.

Maybe a DMC5 would be good, but without seeing anything, the only mental image my brain is giving me is DMC4 with 5 stamped on it right now and it's scaring me.

And you're right, Resident Evil 6 wasn't scary. They tried to do a retake on Racoon City with people being attacked and turned into zombies during Leon's playthrough and I felt nothing. I think Resident Evil 3's opening sequence with the army trying to kill the undead carried more atomsphere of horror :( which is a shame. It's mostly just the action, RE's become too 'kill as many things as you can'.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Maybe a DMC5 would be good, but without seeing anything, the only mental image my brain is giving me is DMC4 with 5 stamped on it right now and it's scaring me.

Now now, I think it would only be fair to give them the benefit of a doubt here and not just automatically assume it will be like DMC4.

If there is anything the transition from DMC2 to DMC3 showed it is that Capcom CAN learn from previous mistakes and make up for a previous bad experience.

The only question would be would they be willing to get their **** together first...

IncarnatedDemon

I think DmC 2 will happen.
1) Cliffhanger

2) Capcom have no choice. They seem fed up with DMC and Kamiya's Dante.

+ it would be counterproductive to not use Ninja theory who they tutored and guided.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I think DmC 2 will happen.
1) Cliffhanger

2) Capcom have no choice. They seem fed up with DMC and Kamiya's Dante.

+ it would be counterproductive to not use Ninja theory who they tutored and guided.
o.o I got a question. If Capcom were the ones who took charge and made DmC 2 instead, would you, as your personal opinion, feel it was in safer hands given they've had more experience in making games?

AlchemistFromEden

Yeah, seriously, the japanese are even more known for a lack of originalityy as they just reuse the same ideas over and over and over all the time. DMC1 was in essence BioHazard/RE with demons and a cambion hero, while DMC3 was...a modern InuYasha to be honest, abnd DMC4 was an episode of Bleach...
lol, japan and originality, if that were true, we wouldn't be yet another mario game or yet another carbon copy of the tales of series or any games with anime protagonists and anatomies that are just terribly disproportioned

IncarnatedDemon

o.o I got a question. If Capcom were the ones who took charge and made DmC 2 instead, would you, as your personal opinion, feel it was in safer hands given they've had more experience in making games?
May i ask why you ask that question?

First of all DmC took charge of DmC 2 and to a small degree have helped developed it:
The next instalment of the multi-million selling Devil May Cry™ franchise, DmC sees Capcom collaborating with UK based Ninja Theory to explore new frontiers for the series. DmC is in development for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3.

From its debut on PlayStation 2 in 2001, the Devil May Cry series has been synonymous with stylish action, rewarding combat and a brash, smart-talking protagonist. This ‘Devil May Cry DNA’ remains but is now injected with a dark and brutal gameplay that promises to redefine the franchise. Set against a contemporary backdrop, DmC will depict a duplicitous world where nothing is ever as it seems and the line between good and evil is constantly blurred. Spurred into action by the promises of a trusted relation, Dante bursts into this world intent on revenge at any cost. DmCwill retain the series’ signature mix of sword and gunplay but add additional weapons, all new powers and a revitalised gameplay system as players encounter the game’s devilish mix of enemies and navigate the rich, interactive environment. A true collaboration, DmCsees the team at Ninja Theory joined by key staff from Capcom’s R&D division. Creative direction for the title will be undertaken by Ninja Theory’s Tameem Antoniades and overseen by Hedeaki Itsuno, who has worked on all previous titles in the series. DmC is being co-produced by Capcom’s Japanese and North American development operations.

And answer to question: Yes and No.

Capcom have shown their lazy side. DMC 4, RE 6 AI
DmC (no Bloody Palace for Vergil , cartoonish cutscene)

I think for NT it can get better.
They have gotten to know DMC gameplay. And DmC 2 will probably be more polished.

But if they dont learn from their mistakes:
Story, Taunt , etc

it will end up with DmC meeting a dead end.

DragonMaster2010

Yeah, because I love a sappy plot, no care for characters, a whiny protaganist who thinks he's a rebel and tough, yet seems to work hours on his hair being fabulous, the same areas for the entire game, and our real protaganist getting the side treatment, and acting like a douchebag showoff old man in the process.

Yeah, DMC5 being like DMC4 is PERFECT! -_-

In the gameplay aspect; yeah it would prosper greatly.

In environment, story, character development, fashion, and script:
ceaser_nope.gif

Top Bottom