• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom and Ninja Theory announce DMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

The crazy demon

Metal Gear Vindicare.
moseslmpg;274451 said:
I seriously doubt Capcom would pursue both series at the same time, which is why I think this is a oneshot.

But, BD is right basically. Whether or not this game is good, Capcom has left us hanging with the real DMC and that is something that can't be forgiven.

And that is why I believe DMC5 is still in development and we'll hear more about it as we get closer to the 10th anniversary.

Well if that is the case at least i hope that this DmC can continue after the main series has ened.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
moseslmpg;274451 said:
I seriously doubt Capcom would pursue both series at the same time, which is why I think this is a oneshot.

But, BD is right basically. Whether or not this game is good, Capcom has left us hanging with the real DMC and that is something that can't be forgiven.

And that is why I believe DMC5 is still in development and we'll hear more about it as we get closer to the 10th anniversary.

I certainly hope so.

Kittn

Dante's Lapcat
moseslmpg;274451 said:

I wish I could have that kind of optimism, got any to spare? This new DmC seems like a huge catch 22 for anyone who loved the old series and wants to see it continue.

If this does well: The new fans move in - The ones who are attracted to this gritty, dark, emaciated smoker version of Dante. Judging from the ones who are already on the capcom unity forums they'll start Calling everyone who wants the old series back trolls and haters. They'll convince Capcom that this was a good decision in spite of all the backlash we're seeing now, so what incentive do they have to continue the old games?

If this game bombs: They could shelf the franchise entirely.

To be honest, the more I see the trailer, the more I look at the pictures, the more it feels like Capcom is really trolling us. It just seems too blatantly -not- what anyone I know was asking for. Especially after they kept promising to give fans what they wanted. And the Capcom mods begging for the old fans to stick around and not give up on them yet?

If this is a reboot. Why should we? I don't see anything about the new game that catches my fancy. And if the old story and old Dante are gone, well that seals it for me. Nothin I want there. They got to give me more than 'trust us, stick around, we never let you down before' kind of answers.

Its fine to like this game. It doesn't bother me that people do. As a game on its own merits, that would be just peachy. I care that they called it Devil May Cry.

I really don't like saying "I was a fan of the old Devil May Cry." Is 4 really going to be the last? Really? This is starting to feel like Firefly. Maybe we can hope for another game/movie or something in 2-4 years where they try to answer everything in one go to give us 'old fans' closure like they did with Serenity.

But even that is a pretty sad thought to me. I'm fresh out of optimism at this point.

icmasticc

In my opinion, I just feel like the series was built and developed so deeply, leaving plenty of plotholes for speculation, and then possibly forgotten in favor of a complete 360 turnaround. That is the sole reason I am angry at this new "DmC". In all actuality, I could care less if they decide to make this game as a "what if" type game and envision this new type of Dante. The point, for me, is that it seems like Capcom is showcasing "DmC" in favor of the original Devil May Cry Series as opposed to showcasing it alongside a new game or concept for the main series.

I know alot, if not most, people didn't like Nero. I was one of the few who found him to be likable. You can't tell though that, even the people who didn't like him, didn't want to know his origins and how he got his demonic arm. Even if they wanted to know so they could ridicule him in some way, we all still wanted to know. Most of us wanted to see Vergil mayboe one last time. Most of us were waiting for the day when Capcom would FINALLY make a true sequel to DMC 2, as terrible as it was.

The point is that even if we have our gripes with the series, most of us fans still want at least a true ending to the original series before you go and decide there's a need to reboot. The series doesn't have to go forever and Dante doesn't have to stay white-haired or even half-demon for 10 more games, but, in my opinion, at least tie up the loose ends that YOU(The company, Capcom)created so we can have actual closure to the real Devil May Cry and begin this new generation of "DmC".

moseslmpg

Kittn, a note of optimism: Even if DINO does very well (very unlikely), it is probably not going to be the case that they will continue the series beyond one or two more games. Why? Because NT is a small, separate developer that has its own vision and wants to make its own games. It wasn't shopping around to get attached to some big name company, and it sure won't cripple itself by being "the Western DMC developer."

The way I see it is like with Retro Studios and Metroid Prime. They signed on to do, presumably, one game, and it was popular so they wrapped up a trilogy and have now moved on to other things. But this analogy isn't perfect since Retro wasn't really an independent developer already, and it was looking for a company to get attached to. And because I doubt NT and Capcom can come up with enough new ideas to float 2 sequels to a reboot of DMC, it doesn't seem like it has that much potential.

So, all of the reasonable indicators point to this being a oneshot at best and a trilogy at worst, but not Capcom just dropping the real DMC.

dimashi

i have the perfect explanation on who this person.*drum rolls*BAYONETTAS AND DANTES SON :D*random motorcyle crash thru my window*IM DEAD

dimashi

perosonly the only way they would get me to buy this game is if they brought the old voice bk.cause this guy sounds like christian bale

Asmodaius

I can't wait to see more. I think people are judging this game too fast, because they are afraid of the changes. Well, wake up and smell the coffee, people, because it is happening! Deny it all you want, but this is how Dante is going to look like from now on and in my opinion, I think he looks great!

Cat

Vergil-ologist
Here's what they should do: take this new game and give it a NEW title!! Anything else but "Devil May Cry." Then, Capcom can continue to develop the real DMC 5 game.

The way it is being presented now has FAIL written all over it. Poochie Dante cannot pass as THE Dante. If anybody doesn't know what I mean by "Poochie," then I'll explain...

Poochie was a character in a "Simpsons" episode many years ago, who was supposed to parody what TV producers do to their television programs that run for a long time, and they try to liven things up with a new, "cool" and "hip" character. They were trying to do this with "Itchy & Scratchy," a classic violent cartoon in the "Simpsons" universe that has maintained it's fan base for generations.

But, it NEVER goes over well with the fans of the shows, and the backlash is brutal. In this episode, Homer was voicing Poochie, the new dog character who rapped and talked like a jackass, really, and was the ONLY person who liked him. Everyone else demanded that lame, trying-too-hard-to-be-cool Poochie be killed off immediately. Homer was mislead to believe that he would be staying in the show, but when he watched the second Poochie episode, they made up some crap about him going back to his home planet and being killed on the way there, lol!

Point is, it didn't work, and this isn't the first time a media group has tried in vain to enliven what they THOUGHT was a stale franchise. This is simply what Capcom is doing, which is CLICHE in and of itself. It's totally laughable!!! :p

DMC is a fun, silly series and this "Poochie Dante DMC" game is clearly taking itself too seriously. That always spells doom.

Asmodaius

Cat;274493 said:
Here's what they should do: take this new game and give it a NEW title!! Anything else but "Devil May Cry." Then, Capcom can continue to develop the real DMC 5 game.

The way it is being presented now has FAIL written all over it. Poochie Dante cannot pass as THE Dante. If anybody doesn't know what I mean by "Poochie," then I'll explain...

Poochie was a character in a "Simpsons" episode many years ago, who was supposed to parody what TV producers do to their television programs that run for a long time, and they try to liven things up with a new, "cool" and "hip" character. They were trying to do this with "Itchy & Scratchy," a classic violent cartoon in the "Simpsons" universe that has maintained it's fan base for generations.

But, it NEVER goes over well with the fans of the shows, and the backlash is brutal. In this episode, Homer was voicing Poochie, the new dog character who rapped and talked like a jackass, really, and was the ONLY person who liked him. Everyone else demanded that lame, trying-too-hard-to-be-cool Poochie be killed off immediately. Homer was mislead to believe that he would be staying in the show, but when he watched the second Poochie episode, they made up some crap about him going back to his home planet and being killed on the way there, lol!

Point is, it didn't work, and this isn't the first time a media group has tried in vain to enliven what they THOUGHT was a stale franchise. This is simply what Capcom is doing, which is CLICHE in and of itself. It's totally laughable!!! :p

DMC is a fun, silly series and this "Poochie Dante DMC" game is clearly taking itself too seriously. That always spells doom.

Well, this -is- Devil May Cry, and this -is- how Dante is going to look like from now on. I get the Poochie reference, but this is somewhat different. In The Simpsons, they tried to rekindle the Itchy and Scratchy show by putting in a whole new and unnecessary character. That is more like what they did in DMC4 with Nero, in my opinion.

What Capcom is doing is giving the game a make-over to expand their fanbase which has their current fanbase raging without even giving it a chance. And I think that's sad.

Cat

Vergil-ologist
In response to your signature, a REAL Devil May Cry fan would never embrace this garbage. Even Kamiya, the INVENTOR of Devil May Cry is hating this new abomination. This is NOT Devil May Cry, and therefore, it only stands to reason that you must not even like Devil May Cry at all.

moseslmpg

Asmo, they aren't trying to expand their fanbase, because they already did that with DMC4. Rebooting the series in such a way doesn't have any demographic in mind, it is purely a creative endeavor apparently.

And Cat, he has already admitted he only cares for DMC for its name only. He said that if they changed the name, then it wouldn't be DMC, so content is irrelevant to him. Don't bother arguing about it.

Cuervo

Cat;274907 said:
In response to your signature, a REAL Devil May Cry fan would never embrace this garbage. Even Kamiya, the INVENTOR of Devil May Cry is hating this new abomination. This is NOT Devil May Cry, and therefore, it only stands to reason that you must not even like Devil May Cry at all.

How patronizing and condescending.

moseslmpg

I don't believe that was patronizing or condescending, according to my dictionary. Asmo's sig is more condescending than that, by implying that people who don't accept the new game aren't real fans.

Cuervo

moseslmpg;274925 said:
I don't believe that was patronizing or condescending, according to my dictionary. Asmo's sig is more condescending than that, by implying that people who don't accept the new game aren't real fans.

I saw the sig, and I don't agree with it either.

Asmodaius

It's supposed to be a provocative nudge to the raging fanboys and girls out there. Nothing more, nothing less. Hate it or love it, that's up to you. ;3

Dragging my sig into this discussion was however quite unnecessary and seemed a bit like you just wanted to bring me down because I simply disagreed with you. I could be wrong though, but that's how it seemed to me.

So please stay on topic. ^^

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Is there anychance that anyone is allowed to like this game.

I would've checked out the trailer had it not been labelled DmC.
And i would've like the style too.

You are gonna have to lump it because Capcom have called it Devil May Cry when they announced it.

I can't believe a trailer has kicked out so much negativity, if it was the game, i could understand.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
You guys are being total jerks to the people who want to like this game. Is it such a sin to like this game?

God, I feel like how I did when I told my friends I liked Other M...

Asmodaius

Vergil'sB*tch;274992 said:
Is there anychance that anyone is allowed to like this game.

I would've checked out the trailer had it not been labelled DmC.
And i would've like the style too.

You are gonna have to lump it because Capcom have called it Devil May Cry when they announced it.

I can't believe a trailer has kicked out so much negativity, if it was the game, i could understand.

What I don't understand is why so many keep saying "This isn't a Devil May Cry" game. All the signs are there, and I know many will kick me for repeating this, but I'll do it anyways.

First of all, the game is called Devil May Cry. That's the first hint. The main character is called Dante. That's the second hint. Capcom made it, along with Ninja Theory. Third hint. They officially announced it as a Devil May Cry game. Fourth hint. And we are now discussing the game on a forum made for Devil May Cry games on a site about Devil May Cry. Those are some pretty big hints right there.

And before people go "Oh, so if they call Super Mario for Dante and call the game he's starring in Devil May Cry, does that mean you will see that as a Devil May Cry game too??" I will just say that it is not the case. But to think this game is something completely else is just turning a blind eye to the big flashing signs and to me sounds like denying the known facts.

Some fans are disappointed with this game... it is a big change from what they originally know and they crave answers to the many plotholes that are left in the previous games of the DMC series. It is totally understandable, I too would like to get some answers as well! Because all in all, Capcom is kinda leaving us here with a huge questionmark in our hands. And that is why so many people are rather dismissive to this new game and doesn't acknowledge it as a 'real' Devil May Cry game.

Capcom has stated that this is a reboot which basically means they are starting anew. We have yet to see if they will bring in known story-elements, such as Sparda, the legendary demon hero, will be Dante's father, if Dante has a twin brother called Vergil, if he is a demon hunter or eventually will turn out to be one, if other known characters will make an appearance and so on. They could be telling the same story, but in a different way and in a different setting, or they can make a whole new story all together - we don't know that yet! But hopefully we will find out soon enough.

So it is not a continuation of the series we know and love. It is more or less a do-over. Some people hate it, other people love it, but the negative voices are those who are easier to hear which is why it seems like everybody is just hating this upcoming game... However, from what I've seen in the thread I made earlier, there are some positive voices out there as well, people who embrace these changes, are curious to know more and generally seem more open-minded about it. And I hope this positivity will spread out and that fans all over the world will eventually come to like and accept this game for what it is - the next Devil May Cry game.

And yes, I am aware that the last couple of lines made me sound like a peace-loving hippie... but that's because I am. XD

Storm Silves;274998 said:
You guys are being total jerks to the people who want to like this game. Is it such a sin to like this game?

God, I feel like how I did when I told my friends I liked Other M...

Mangoes? ;3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom