• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ask the Staff Anything

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
eh... well this is kinda awkward situation i'm presenting you guys but my friend needs to do an operation actually he badly needs it as he's having this eh spasmodic torticollis or something like that basically his head is getting titled to one side

well i don't know how to help him as a friend but his parents are really being sensitive about this issue they're not letting him take his own decision about his health and also i feel really sorry about him

I can't do anything about this situation tho.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Sorry Mods but I have a serious question this time.
My cousin dropped out of school some time ago and he is trying to obtain his GED. He passed everything but the Math so he has gone back several times to pass the Math portion to no avail. No matter how much the kid tries he can't pass the Math because its not his strong suit. So my question is should I tell him to endlessly keep trying which costs him 10 USD a pop or give up and know he tried and get a little job like Kmart, Best Buy because he can lie on his job application and they won't check. He's done this before and succeeded. What should I do? I'm asking you Mods because you guys and gals are and seem like parents and your input would be valid.

NOTE: I would like only the staff to answer this so everyone please refrain. If non staff really want to give their two cents than PM me. But only if you have serious reason to speak your mind no trolling. Thank you everyone. :)

Math was never my strong suit either and I retook my GCSE at college to get a higher grade. I dont know what a GED is or what its equivalent is over here but im sure not all employers even take grades into account. They normally just see if your capable of doing a job rather than hiring you because you have some grades on a piece of paper. Ive never been given a job because of my qualifications, in fact my qualifications sometimes worked against me as employers kept telling me I was overqualified for the job.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
The best course of action is to first ask him what HE wants to do.
(Post shorted)

Well the kid is torn because we wants to get his GED to make everyone else happy and at the same time to make himself happy personally. The kid is young and the world is hitting him in the face and the poor lad is dumbfounded by all this. However I do like the pro and cons idea you spoke off I'll try that with him and see how that goes. Thank you T to the Redgrave. :)

Math was never my strong suit either and I retook my GCSE at college to get a higher grade. I dont know what a GED is or what its equivalent is over here but im sure not all employers even take grades into account. They normally just see if your capable of doing a job rather than hiring you because you have some grades on a piece of paper. Ive never been given a job because of my qualifications, in fact my qualifications sometimes worked against me as employers kept telling me I was overqualified for the job.

A GED is the equivalent to a High School Diploma. (Basically if a person drops out of HS they go get their GED and it acts as their HSD)
That is also true, employers just want the dude or girl who can do said job. The lad is new to working in the real world so he's taken back by how harsh the real world is. In other words, he's learning and he's coming to me for help and I'm more than happy to help him but I can't do much because I'm learning myself. However I do appreciate you taking time to post on this subject. Thank you for that Dark Drakan. :)

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Yup, what's already been said. I haven't got any maths qualifications (which probably explains the whole too many kids thing I got going on) but it never did me any harm. In the current climate as well, people just need employees who can do the job and stick to it rather than degrees and qualifications coming out of their ears.

Sometimes you get thrown into the deep end of the adult life pool and whilst it can be a bit tricky at times, it can be the best place to learn. If he can get any extra tuition for this aspect of his qualification that will definitely help then he should by all means give it another shot. But if he's still going to struggle, let it go. I'm numerically dyslexic myself and I can't even do Jessica's maths and she's 10. But I can do other things and so long as there's a calculator to hand, I'm ok. Wouldn't recommend lying on a resume though - it has a way of biting you in the backside later on at some point. A bit of creative wording that's still truth but better-sounding is more preferable.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Yup, what's already been said. I haven't got any maths qualifications (which probably explains the whole too many kids thing I got going on) but it never did me any harm. In the current climate as well, people just need employees who can do the job and stick to it rather than degrees and qualifications coming out of their ears.

Sometimes you get thrown into the deep end of the adult life pool and whilst it can be a bit tricky at times, it can be the best place to learn. If he can get any extra tuition for this aspect of his qualification that will definitely help then he should by all means give it another shot. But if he's still going to struggle, let it go. I'm numerically dyslexic myself and I can't even do Jessica's maths and she's 10. But I can do other things and so long as there's a calculator to hand, I'm ok. Wouldn't recommend lying on a resume though - it has a way of biting you in the backside later on at some point. A bit of creative wording that's still truth but better-sounding is more preferable.

Fair enough. My cousin has retaken the Math portion of the test 6 times or so and he just can't nail it. (Its 4 years of HS Math in one big test) I don't blame the kid Math is hard. Its just he's so close to the finish line, if he passes the Math the GED is his no questions asked. So he is not sure how to go about it.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Perhaps his study method needs revising? Sometimes we know the stuff, we just can't recollect it correctly because the study method we choose isn't helpful for that particular subject. I'm a visual person so I recall stuff via images - for example, if a question involves any sort of imagery such as "there are 60 boxes. What is the percentage of boxes remaining when three are taken away, thirty are burned to the ground and a pigeon explodes overhead?" I find it easier to picture the boxes, fire, pigeon and explosion. Other people need figures or facts to help them recall. For some it's a formulaic approach.

He could also try little and often when studying - rather than evening missions of revision, 15-20 minutes every day might be better. Stuff goes in - he won't lose it, he just has to figure out the best way to recall it when it matters. If he doesn't understand it, get someone to talk him through it first and then revise it however way suits him best.

Not saying that's what he should do, but it might help?

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Perhaps his study method needs revising? Sometimes we know the stuff, we just can't recollect it correctly because the study method we choose isn't helpful for that particular subject. I'm a visual person so I recall stuff via images - for example, if a question involves any sort of imagery such as "there are 60 boxes. What is the percentage of boxes remaining when three are taken away, thirty are burned to the ground and a pigeon explodes overhead?" I find it easier to picture the boxes, fire, pigeon and explosion. Other people need figures or facts to help them recall. For some it's a formulaic approach.

He could also try little and often when studying - rather than evening missions of revision, 15-20 minutes every day might be better. Stuff goes in - he won't lose it, he just has to figure out the best way to recall it when it matters. If he doesn't understand it, get someone to talk him through it first and then revise it however way suits him best.

Not saying that's what he should do, but it might help?

"Pigeon explodes overhead." Your awesome Angel!! ^_^
Hmmm perhaps that could help him. I like it!

darkdeamon92/dmc3/

hay guyz......i need help with something......ahh ok well all of threads i made aren't getting that much success so am i doing something wrong or what?? any idea?:(

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
hay guyz......i need help with something......ahh ok well all of threads i made aren't getting that much success so am i doing something wrong or what?? any idea?:(
It's not a case of you doing anything wrong - there are lots of threads people don't post in or even read them; it's not something you can have a lot of control over. I've made threads that don't get many replies, if any at all, and it's just not been something other people want to discuss or comment on.

Don't sweat it - it won't be anything personal :)

Dark Drakan

Admin

As Sharon said, it happens to everyone at some point and I too have took time to write long threads which have taken an age to write up and edit then recieved no replies. Just have to accept that it happens and sooner or later your threads will get comments, just have to find topics people are interested in and that generate more interest.

darkdeamon92/dmc3/

As Sharon said, it happens to everyone at some point and I too have took time to write long threads which have taken an age to write up and edit then recieved no replies. Just have to accept that it happens and sooner or later your threads will get comments, just have to find topics people are interested in and that generate more interest.
thx bro im gonna focus on that more :)

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I haz one very significant question:
Will we have spoiler tags made available to us in the (hopefully nearby) future?

darkdeamon92/dmc3/

hay guys i want to ask 2 thing....1:i would like to make my account gold but i have never done this before on the internet so help...:) and 2: where does all the money go? is it for improving the site or something?? and btw for me 10$ isnt that much if it helps improve this awesome site :)

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Will we have spoiler tags made available to us in the (hopefully nearby) future?
I really really hope so. It's annoying that we don't, personally speaking, and I know that there are mods out there that provide spoiler tags but they are unsupported and that puts us in a bind if something goes wrong. Also, the more modifications you have on your site, the more clunky and resource-hungry it is.

hay guys i want to ask 2 thing....1:i would like to make my account gold but i have never done this before on the internet so help...:) and 2: where does all the money go? is it for improving the site or something?? and btw for me 10$ isnt that much if it helps improve this awesome site :)
All donations go towards my cake fund.

Nah, they go directly towards the cost of the server - we actually run all our sites at a loss so that means it costs Steve more to keep them going than it brings in. The money has never gone to anything else.

To make your account gold you will need a PayPal account - we only accept donations and subscriptions via this method because not only is it simpler for everyone as it converts money accordingly, it's also safer - we never know your bank details or personal information and vice versa. Click on the Gold Account link at the top of the page, follow the instructions on your screen and that's all there is to it. Everything is automated - same with the donation button.

Dark Drakan

Admin

We have been hoping to get them back for some time but Sharon already covered the reason they havent returned yet.

Goes towards our Christmas Party *cough* I mean feeding the starving staff... :shifty:

Again Sharon has covered that question as well as it can be answered.

darkdeamon92/dmc3/

We have been hoping to get them back for some time but Sharon already covered the reason they havent returned yet.

Goes towards our Christmas Party *cough* I mean feeding the starving staff... :shifty:

Again Sharon has covered that question as well as it can be answered.
thank u :p and keep you hands up.....just encase :p:p i have my eyes on you.....:shifty::p

Top Bottom