• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Better Stance Switch

What do you think?

• Total voters

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
I was thinking about the stance system and how unnecessarily convoluted it's getting. You have to hold on to either trigger to stay in the respective stance and switch weapons with the D-Pad. It's not horrible, but it still seems a little clunky.

So how could they streamline it a bit? This is what I imagined (with the Xbox controller and only Devil Arms in mind):

LT<--Switch between by Pressing (Not holding)-->RT__LT<--------Switch------->RT
Angel----------------------------------------------------------------Normal----------------------------Demon
Once in Angel, continue pressing LT for weapon changes.
Once in Demon, continues pressing RT for weapon changes.

That way you won't have to hold on to the triggers to stay in your stance, and it's only a simple press of the opposite button to switch back to normal. Also, the D-Pad (which, on the Xbox at least, is not the best D-Pad in the world) won't have to be used as heavily. The response time has to be precise, though, or else the system will lose its fluidity.

EDIT: This is all assuming it's two weapons at a time per stance.

So what do ya think? Think you can think up a better one? If you can, post it in your comments!

Nelo_Vergil

hmmm why not Press L2 once he stays in the stance, this makes it less clunky, but you can still switch it by clicking R2 or L2 once more to go back to normal. How would that feel vs the current click and hold. Also ment to vote could be better.

Vezild

hmmm why not Press L2 once he stays in the stance, this makes it less clunky, but you can still switch it by clicking R2 or L2 once more to go back to normal. How would that feel vs the current click and hold. Also ment to vote could be better.
That's exactly what I said o_O You press LT/L2 once, for example, and you're an angel. Press RT/R2, and you'll switch back to normal. Press it again, and you're a demon.

ReRave

smug jerk
I was thinking about the stance system and how unnecessarily convoluted it's getting. You have to hold on to either trigger to stay in the respective stance and switch weapons with the D-Pad. It's not horrible, but it still seems a little clunky.

So how could they streamline it a bit? This is what I imagined (with the Xbox controller and only Devil Arms in mind):

LT<--Switch between by Pressing (Not holding)-->RT__LT<--------Switch------->RT
Angel----------------------------------------------------------------Normal----------------------------Demon
Once in Angel, continue pressing LT for weapon changes.
Once in Demon, continues pressing RT for weapon changes.

That way you won't have to hold on to the triggers to stay in your stance, and it's only a simple press of the opposite button to switch back to normal. Also, the D-Pad (which, on the Xbox at least, is not the best D-Pad in the world) won't have to be used as heavily. The response time has to be precise, though, or else the system will lose its fluidity.

So what do ya think? Think you can think up a better one? If you can, post it in your comments!

Sorry, but yours is way more complicated, not simpler.
Holding down a button and pushing another one is more intuitive and practical for combat. At least on PS3, NT's control scheme seems better than yours to me.

Vezild

Sorry, but yours is way more complicated, not simpler.
Holding down a button and pushing another one is more intuitive and practical for combat. At least on PS3, NT's control scheme seems better than yours to me.
Eh I don't know. To me, it's not that it's complicated, it's that it's clunky and easily fixable. Maybe it's because of the games I play xD

ReRave

smug jerk
Eh I don't know. To me, it's not that it's complicated, it's that it's clunky and easily fixable. Maybe it's because of the games I play xD
I didn't say it's bad, it just seems more prone to causing frustrating situations: One might push a stance-button twice accidentaly and skipping human form altogether, therefore robbing you of a precious second of combo-making. Of course, this is just a very specific instant, where it might come across odd.

Gbraga

I really don't like it to be honest. NT's way is better for switching actively during the combo, since you can start a combo with one weapon and switch into another, so you could like 2 hits of aerial rave, pause, the roullete spin-like move with Osiris, and then Drop with Arbiter. That would be just 2 trigger presses, in your system you would have to press twice every time you changed forms, so 4 presses and you'd have to do it much faster so the enemy wouldn't drop too much.

Dantino

That crazy dude on the internet...
i feel NT's version,is way better and far less complicated. Yours is meh... NT's version:
Hold RT-Demon stance
D-pad up=axe,left=hammer,right=mace,down=spear(don't know the demon weapons just an example). While holding RT(demon stance) i can switch from spear to axe to hammer with ease by just pushing a d-pad button.
Your version(if i get you correctly):
Press RT once=demon stance(axe)
Press RT 2x=spear,3x=hammer,4x=mace.
Lets suppose i want to go from a mace to hammer then spear. I'd have to press RT 4x then 3x then 3x...if i now want to switch between the 4-angelic weapons then mix it up with demon then normal stance....mehn i might lose my two trigger-pressing fingers.(supposedly we have 4 angelic,4 demonic and the 2 human weapons)
Not to be an ass or anything but compared to NT's yours would be a frigging maze.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
I love how they just got rid of the perfectly good "Style" system, for this clunky "Stance" system, and all for an aspect as pointless as story, epic fail on Capcom's part if you ask me.

But NT's is better than youts

So it's

Style>NT>Vezild

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
i dont see wats wrongs with NTs system, plus until we try it on 1st hand i dont think we can really understand how it handles

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
agreed. how is it clunky?
going by what we have heard so far, if I want to use ebony and Ivory, I HAVE to be in human stance, I didn't HAVE to be in Gunslinger to use Ebony and Ivory, not to mention the D-Pad to switch weapons is just stupid considering how in DMC you have to switch them fast in order to chain a combo.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
going by what we have heard so far, if I want to use ebony and Ivory, I HAVE to be in human stance, I didn't HAVE to be in Gunslinger to use Ebony and Ivory, not to mention the D-Pad to switch weapons is just stupid considering how in DMC you have to switch them fast in order to chain a combo.
true, but the guns are still at your disposal and never leave your arsenal.
i actually think the stance system may work better than both dmc3's and dmc4's style system.
the reason i think it's better than dmc3's, well i will take the example you gave me mrrandomlulz. in dmc3 you might not have to be in gunslinger style to use ebony and ivory, but you did have to choose what style you wanted at the beginning of the mission, so therefore all the moves in swordmaster, trickster, and royal guard styles you had to sacrifice and give up. however in DmC they have incorporated all these moves into the stance system which you have at your disposal all the time and it is simple to use.
and i think the stance system is better than dmc4's style system because despite giving you all the styles on the fly, it made the weapon switching confusing and very hassling. incorporating three weapons to one button made it annoying when you were switching weapons and if you accidently chose the wrong one, then you had to cycle through all the weapons again, but with DmC's stance system you have one button for one weapon and that's seems much simpler to me.
so yeah i don't see the clunkiness yet.

berto

I Saw the Devil
YOu know that the scheme your sudgesting is like the weapons cycling for Vergil. YOu push the triger buttons to go left or right on the selection you want. If you click left it goes from normal to Angel and if you push again it goes to demon and if you push right it goes from normal to demon to angel and back to normal.

It's hard to imaginewhich is better because they both have advanteges. NT's is like holding the shift botton, quick and simple, but if you want to do prolonged usage of your other forms it's more combiniant to have a simple one push switch rather that prolonged hold.

Dantino

That crazy dude on the internet...
@choco,neither do I see the clunkiness. Just free your trigger fingers, hit square/x and viola!!! Bullets everywhere...
Why the hell should anyone complain about holding down a shoulder button. You held on to lock-on throughout every ****ing battle in previous dmc's,wtf is the problem with the holding down a button,huh?

Top Bottom