• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Better Stance Switch

What do you think?

• Total voters

Nelo_Vergil

DMC4s combat was shiat compared to DMC3s. After playing it, and getting all of dantes moves, it just feels like a cheap knock off of DMC3 in almost every aspect. Dante is older yet acts like DMC3 Dante only less mature. The combat actually feels somewhat slower with less weapons and combos. The story left plot holes, some that could be filled like vergil being neros dad; though thats a plothole in itself.

Gbraga

I agree that overall DMC3 is a better game, but I like the combat in DMC4 better. I won't even comment about the story because honestly it was always garbage. When DmC was first announced I already hyped it, but in my head I was like "Ok, the combat will probably suck but the story will be pretty good", I'm glad that even the combat seems good.

Being able to style change on the fly was great, made me think "why the hell DMC3 didn't do it?"

Nelo_Vergil

Between DMC4s and DMC3s style change i honestly believe their about the same. What i mean is with one style, DMC3, i can really build alot of combos based off the style; Plus the amount of weapons in DMC3 made the locked style bearable. In DMC4 as i said their were less combos, for whatever reason :\, but it allowed you to switch on the fly so could focus on multiple combos with different weapons.

One thing i'd like to mention however, which i feel will be the biggest difference between the two series'; If DmC has a great storyline but medicore\decent gameplay the gameplay can always be improved with time, sequels. But DMC has great gameplay and a bad story, plot holes and character development being the main reason imo. Granted DMCs story is PRESENTED well its actually quite bad. My main point was no matter how good\bad gameplay is it's almost always improved. But if the stories bad then its going to become much harder to improve the game without rebooting.

asurai

Actually DMC4 was to a degree slower then DMC3. Since in DMC4 you had no control over which weapon you swapped too you could potentially not get the weapon you wanted and be rather quick. And the styles being locked onto the d-pad and having to make you take your thumb off of the analog stick (which for many, including myself, was the default position for it), meant that style switching on the fly was unintuitive. Overall it was simply slow and not the greatest. DMC3 gameplay wise was better not even because of the higher weapon count, but because of it's elegance and overall simplicity that did not lack-depth. Simplicity in itself is not bad, at all. DMC4 gameplay wise was fine and had a nice innovation and it's execution wasn't horrible. However the way DmC's control scheme is it looks like it may fix the issues in DMC4's gameplay. However it all comes down to execution which is to be seen. We'll need a demo of the game for us to determine that since most of the press are usually not very hardcore gamers who like to go very in-depth with games like DmC or even the original DMC's.

As for the story that is a wait and see type deal. Even if Ninja Theory are good at stories, there can always be mistakes made and all. So it's something we'll have to wait until the game is out to see just how good it is.

AngelMode

The only major downside of NT's button set up is the fact that you need to hold the triggers to use some weapons that you might want to use constantly. Because that would mean you have to keep pressing the button nonestop, to the point where your fingers might hurt. But I'll also note that holding the triggers is usually nicer than holding any other type of button, and many games have done this before (like how you sprint in Prototype or how you aim in CoD).

Another thing would be dodging while in demon mode. RT is demon mode, and RB is used to dodge. I don't know why, but I've always had a hard time pressing corresponding triggers and bumpers at once. This reminds me of DMC3 whenever I built up my Trigger Bomb (the explosion thing you do when you go DT, I forgot what it was actually called) and when I tried to switch a gun using LT at the same time. That was a nightmare, I just couldn't do it. Either I would take too long to switch a gun (like a second, that's pretty long for a DMC game) or I would randomly burst out into DT and didn't hit anybody with it.

Otherwise, nice change of pace, I must say. Changing all these weapons on the fly without the need to cycling through them is a wish come true for me, I've always wanted Capcom to make a DMC where they had a control layout where I didn't have to cycle through things and keep track of what guns or weapons I was currently holding in order to get to the next one.

That brings up a good point though... what about the guns? We covered the weapons but we don't know how to switch between guns. Unless we have only two weapons in each mode and two guns/whips which makes a total of 6 weapons and 6 guns, and we switch guns by pressing up and down and weapons by pressing left and right on the D-pad... I don't know.

Btw, yes, I'm "new" but I've been lurking this forum for as long as DmC was announced XD

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
I think my style is better--and I might be biased--because I don't like the idea of having to hold a button down to do something in an action game. I understand if it's like the freerun system in Assassin's Creed or Prototype, but for a game that's supposed to take cues from a fighting game, I don't think it's a good idea.

Still, I can see why some people would prefer NT's XD

Just a heads up: I made this assuming it's the old "two weapons at a time" system (like in DMC 3)

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I think my style is better--and I might be biased--because I don't like the idea of having to hold a button down to do something in an action game. I understand if it's like the freerun system in Assassin's Creed or Prototype, but for a game that's supposed to take cues from a fighting game, I don't think it's a good idea.

Still, I can see why some people would prefer NT's XD

Just a heads up: I made this assuming it's the old "two weapons at a time" system (like in DMC 3)

Didn't you have to hold the lock on button to shoot the demons in DMC3 and didn't you have to hold the attack button to do "Drive"?

AngelMode

Didn't you have to hold the lock on button to shoot the demons in DMC3 and didn't you have to hold the attack button to do "Drive"?

Correction, you didn't have to press the lock on button in DMC3 to shoot. Just by pressing the shoot button, Dante would shoot the demon closest to him with the game's own auto targeting system. The only reason why you had to hold the lock on button was to use moves like Stinger or a launch. Also worked to tag demons and keep locked on them even though you were far away.

I believe you DID have to hold the lock on button to shoot while on the ground in DMC1... go wonder.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
I'm sorry for the disturbing images you had to witness...
Don't worry about it, I've had worse... though this comes quite close....
fluttershy%20is%20not%20amused%20-%20Copy.JPG

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
Hold the attack button to do a Drive is different. It's a specific attack, not an entire system. Besides, it was a slow attack that kind of went against DMC and it's lightning fast combat anyway.
Locking on was really just for keeping track of enemies and specific attacks like Stinger or certain Trickster moves. Those were optional...DmC's system on the other hand isn't.

Gbraga

Hold the attack button to do a Drive is different. It's a specific attack, not an entire system. Besides, it was a slow attack that kind of went against DMC and it's lightning fast combat anyway.
Locking on was really just for keeping track of enemies and specific attacks like Stinger or certain Trickster moves. Those were optional...DmC's system on the other hand isn't.
If you really think launcher, stinger and other moves that requires lock on are optional, I don't see why wouldn't you think that Angel and Demon stances are optional as well. You'll only be actually required to use them on platforming, nothing's stopping you from completely ignoring both stances.

And I honestly think that you'd lose more by not ever using lock on on DMC3~4 than by not using stances in DmC.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
If you really think launcher, stinger and other moves that requires lock on are optional, I don't see why wouldn't you think that Angel and Demon stances are optional as well. You'll only be actually required to use them on platforming, nothing's stopping you from completely ignoring both stances.

And I honestly think that you'd lose more by not ever using lock on on DMC3~4 than by not using stances in DmC.

I would use rebellion E&I when fighting demos cause those are the weapons I only use in EVERY DMC I've played. It's fun that way.^_^

izaya___cool_story_bro_by_yukinekomura-d4ezylt.jpg

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
I'm actually amused by the name "Fluttershy" so we're even.

In retrospect, I would be quite scared if a real life pony with pink hair looked at me like that. Actually, I would probably be running for my life at that point.
But really if you guys think bronies are bad than get off of the internet, you are clearly not prepared for it

Top Bottom