• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Better Stance Switch

What do you think?

• Total voters

asurai

Let us not forget with DmC you have 3 weapons to choose from "on the fly". Instead of the two in DMC3. And the game is not "dial a combo" as has been confirmed. And with being able to switch between any of the three however we wish the combo possibilities are up there quite a bit. Also due to how weapon switching is on the d-pad (assuming left arrow is for angel weapons and right arrow is for demon weapons) we can customize further our combos. However here is the beauty of this system - we don't have to worry so much about cycling. It is still a concern however it is less so. Because if we happen to cycle past the wrong weapon on accident we have two other stances to combo with until we get the right weapon we want. So extended combos will be slightly easier to manage. This all combined with jump canceling, parrying, and enemy step being confirmed this could easily be the diverse and versatile toolbox in the series in my opinion.

Of course this is all dependent on how good the enemies we have to face are. Of course this is the primary concern but we will have to wait and see on that one. There are far too many factors involved at the moment to tell how that will go.

Also in case it was not clear, yes I'm in favor of the control scheme by NT. Yes, it could posibly be a bit streamlined. However far as I can tell at least, if it works as intended it will be just fine.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
Let us not forget with DmC you have 3 weapons to choose from "on the fly". Instead of the two in DMC3. And the game is not "dial a combo" as has been confirmed. And with being able to switch between any of the three however we wish the combo possibilities are up there quite a bit. Also due to how weapon switching is on the d-pad (assuming left arrow is for angel weapons and right arrow is for demon weapons) we can customize further our combos. However here is the beauty of this system - we don't have to worry so much about cycling. It is still a concern however it is less so. Because if we happen to cycle past the wrong weapon on accident we have two other stances to combo with until we get the right weapon we want. So extended combos will be slightly easier to manage. This all combined with jump canceling, parrying, and enemy step being confirmed this could easily be the diverse and versatile toolbox in the series in my opinion.

Of course this is all dependent on how good the enemies we have to face are. Of course this is the primary concern but we will have to wait and see on that one. There are far too many factors involved at the moment to tell how that will go.

Also in case it was not clear, yes I'm in favor of the control scheme by NT. Yes, it could posibly be a bit streamlined. However far as I can tell at least, if it works as intended it will be just fine.

well put m8, and as for the enemies, well we have difficulty settings for that so no problem :D

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
NT's is better. HS was very easy to use. DMC4, as good as i am at it, i still randomly toggle through certain weapons too fast. DMC3 with vergil was alright except you had to always keep in mind which weapon was where and sometimes i would forget instantly and have to just button mash for a lttle.

Yea, you held the lock on button for the past 4 games so why would holding another button be so hard. IF you want to play an entire walkthrough with Osiris then you'll have to really dedicate yourself to holding that button.

Nelo_Vergil

wait someone explain dail a combo >_< if it means its like the old DMCs series easy automatic, or enslaved, where you can easily do combos without much effort then yeah its not dial a combo.

asurai

No I do believe it has been confirmed that it is not dial-a-combo. The fact that there is weapon switching mid-combo and that it does not break your combo is proof enough since otherwise your combo would restart from the beginning if it were dial-a-combo.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
wait someone explain dail a combo >_< if it means its like the old DMCs series easy automatic, or enslaved, where you can easily do combos without much effort then yeah its not dial a combo.
HS had a dial a combo, but by the end of the game or fully upgraded Nariko, it basically let you press box or triangle in whatever order and she would do a completely different combo. DMC combos were very basic, and most weapons had a delay which was not a dial a combo since there was only one attack button.

asurai

Dial-a-combo is where you have to do something like square-square-triangle for a certain combo and have to fully commit yourself to it. You can't suddenly switch out and do another combo - it doesn't work that way. You put in the commands you desire for a certain combo basically and it happens. At least that is probably the easiest way I can put it from how I understand it.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
@choco,neither do I see the clunkiness. Just free your trigger fingers, hit square/x and viola!!! Bullets everywhere...
Why the hell should anyone complain about holding down a shoulder button. You held on to lock-on throughout every ******* battle in previous dmc's,wtf is the problem with the holding down a button,huh?
I thought it was tap it to change stances, not hold it

Tiran

The great pretender.
I was thinking about the stance system and how unnecessarily convoluted it's getting. You have to hold on to either trigger to stay in the respective stance and switch weapons with the D-Pad. It's not horrible, but it still seems a little clunky.

So how could they streamline it a bit? This is what I imagined (with the Xbox controller and only Devil Arms in mind):

LT<--Switch between by Pressing (Not holding)-->RT__LT<--------Switch------->RT
Angel----------------------------------------------------------------Normal----------------------------Demon
Once in Angel, continue pressing LT for weapon changes.
Once in Demon, continues pressing RT for weapon changes.

That way you won't have to hold on to the triggers to stay in your stance, and it's only a simple press of the opposite button to switch back to normal. Also, the D-Pad (which, on the Xbox at least, is not the best D-Pad in the world) won't have to be used as heavily. The response time has to be precise, though, or else the system will lose its fluidity.

So what do ya think? Think you can think up a better one? If you can, post it in your comments!

The stances make it easier to select weapons with the press of a button. Your idea would make instant weapon selection impossible. Having to click through twelve different weapons to get to the one you want is counter intuitive and breaks the flow of instant switching. That's why the stance system was created. With rebellion selected, I can turn it into an axe or a scythe simply by activating the devil or angel stance and the same would be true for any weapon in the game. Your system makes it so that I must click through all the weapons. This new system Ninja Theory created eliminates weapon cycling. That's the whole point of the system.

ReRave

smug jerk
im pretty sure a preview\hands confirmed it was dial a combo
How can it be "dial", when you can interrupt a combo halfway through to start another move?
It's funny how people don't see, that this combo system is nowhere near as rigid as, say, NG. The trailers make it obvious, that we still have the same gameplay as in DMC before, the button-layout is different, that's all.

Tiran

The great pretender.
I'm not sure most people who criticize this game negatively or positively have played the previous ones or know enough about games in this genre. Their info knowledge and experience seems to come from watching combo vids on YouTube.

Top Bottom