• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

30 Fps, Problem?

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
I hope I don't regret posting this :/

I don't think 30fps is a problem in DmC. The combat doesn't seem like it would be affected by a raise in framerate (I'll explain what I mean if people want) and I can't imagine many (any realy, apart from Angel dash links but that's prob possible anyway) links with the current moveset that would only be possible at 60fps.

I've played DMC on all sorts of framerates (from slowly upgrading PCs) and never really noticed too much of a difference in the basic advanced stuff (SkyStars, double weapon switching JC, Guard Flying etc) but there is an issue with harder things like Side/Reverse Raves and some RG stuff (I swear RGing the 9 hits of a Blitz' beam is impossible at 30fps)

But like I said I don't think the fps will make much of a difference in DmC as it is a different concept of battle and would be approached in a different way.

There are a few links I could think of in DmC that would be possible at a higher frame rate but it is things that are so ridiculous the fps would need to be like 100fps and would prob be impossible execution wise.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
what about rising? I personally have enjoyed my gameplay sessions with DmC more then rising but you seem like a more experienced player so ill ask you your opinion on it
I'm not truestyle material but, Gbraga basically mentioned the only combat action games that have tons of depth to them. I just got ZoE HD with MGR, and that game is fun, but not in the way i want to play my hack and slash games. I won't be playing that game to master the combat, and not for the story either, but i will play it just because it looks cool. And i'm sure it will have a lot of cool, um.... old school cinematic moments with super powers and all that jazz. I believe MSR is running at 60fps just because of how nothing on screen is moving and how beautiful Raiden looks. I'm sure when DmC releases a demo, i'll be practicing everyday until the game release, just like bayonetta. As for MGR, i still haven't finished the demo yet.

berto

I Saw the Devil
No, it makes a difference. I realiced this when I played Bayonetta on the 360 for the first time. I've owened that game on the ps3 and have only played it on the PS3 fo the last few years. The PS3 version runs at a lower frame rate than the 360 so when I played the 360 version the combat changed in a way I didn't expect. Now I was dodging at fractions of seconds, my reactions now had to be more exact, much more perfectly timed. It was a hard thing to get used to but the difference was undeniable.

majeh116

I'm not truestyle material but, Gbraga basically mentioned the only combat action games that have tons of depth to them. I just got ZoE HD with MGR, and that game is fun, but not in the way i want to play my hack and slash games. I won't be playing that game to master the combat, and not for the story either, but i will play it just because it looks cool. And i'm sure it will have a lot of cool, um.... old school cinematic moments with super powers and all that jazz. I believe MSR is running at 60fps just because of how nothing on screen is moving and how beautiful Raiden looks. I'm sure when DmC releases a demo, i'll be practicing everyday until the game release, just like bayonetta. As for MGR, i still haven't finished the demo yet.
my issue with rising (though i still enjoyed it) is i feel that are relying on the cut anything mechanic to carry the game and are devoting more resources to cutting anything then to combo strings and the overall combat which i don't like since the cut anything mechanic dosent personally interest me

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
ive played the game and i saw no issue at all with the 30fps. the gameplay was smooth and flawless. there was no lag no rate drop or any point where i thought "damn the fps is too low" infact playing it made me have to double check that it was 30fps as it seemed just as fast as the original.

and sometimes mixing new with old gives the best results
sof8s.gif

Gbraga

what about rising? I personally have enjoyed my gameplay sessions with DmC more then rising but you seem like a more experienced player so ill ask you your opinion on it
Still didn't play it, but I don't find it very surprising at all. From what I've seen of Rising, it's pretty much Vanquish 2 with swords and crack, it's more about playing effectively then playing with style, it would be like Bayonetta vs Ninja Gaiden. Some people will say Ninja Gaiden is far superior, but I like Bayonetta a lot more.

But I'm a Raiden fanboy so I'll probably like Rising more because of that (and not the framerate).

But from what I've seen of it though, Platinum is fantastic for making such an incredible game with so little time. It's all fantastically polished.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
my issue with rising (though i still enjoyed it) is i feel that are relying on the cut anything mechanic to carry the game and are devoting more resources to cutting anything then to combo strings and the overall combat which i don't like since the cut anything mechanic dosent personally interest me
Thats exactly what i thought when i played it. Since this game is MG, your asking for hours of cutscenes. Not an interactive game, but you literally will set your controller down and eat popcorn in the middle of your game

Paexie

Well, I just want to add my two cents. The game is built around 30 frames. Hence why we get visual cues for pause combos. The human eye can't even capture all those frames but it can tell when something is clipping/dropping, which I haven't seen in any of the demo vids so far. Most of those where even in a lower frame rate (about 20-25) so I don't really see a big problem because the game is far more accessible when preforming combos. It wants the player to experiment and now that person has no excuse not to.

Frames does not equal speed at least that's clear to most people now and any animation enthusiast/artists would now that. It equals timed precision.
While I'm terribly worried about how it will perform in the PS3, I never had a game breaking glitch in Enslaved or HS so I still have my hopes up.

berto

I Saw the Devil
While I'm terribly worried about how it will perform in the PS3, I never had a game breaking glitch in Enslaved or HS so I still have my hopes up.
I played the PS3 version, I saw nothing different from the 360 version on the floor.

I am, however, going to try both when the demo's out, now that I can use my brother's 360 to test them out, to see if there is any difference.

Paexie

I played the PS3 version, I saw nothing different from the 360 version on the floor.

I am, however, going to try both when the demo's out, now that I can use my brother's 360 to test them out, to see if there is any difference.
Please keep us updated and try to compare the two! I would seriously appreciate it as most game journalist aren't giving this fact about video games too much importance, which really, really ****es me off.

Noel

Well, I just want to add my two cents. The game is built around 30 frames. Hence why we get visual cues for pause combos. The human eye can't even capture all those frames but it can tell when something is clipping/dropping, which I haven't seen in any of the demo vids so far. Most of those where even in a lower frame rate (about 20-25) so I don't really see a big problem because the game is far more accessible when preforming combos. It wants the player to experiment and now that person has no excuse not to.

Frames does not equal speed at least that's clear to most people now and any animation enthusiast/artists would now that. It equals timed precision.

Also people should take account that no matter if a game is running 30 or 60fps, you gonna get tunnel vision. Where after a while playing the game, you not gonna take notice of the animation at all.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
Please keep us updated and try to compare the two! I would seriously appreciate it as most game journalist aren't giving this fact about video games too much importance, which really, really ****es me off.

you shouldnt worry as so much. at eurogamer i played the ps3 version much more (about 3-4 times) than the xbox. not once did any of the ps3 systems fail on me.

berto

I Saw the Devil
What a too much time for me to wait, Im going to play some older DMC games
I recomend 4 since it more closely resembles DmC.

Anyway, I've been playing those for a while. I been trying to Platinum DMC1.

That's a little surprising. Considering how much time people here spend talking DMC I figured people had been playing DMC.

EllDawn

So mabye I'm the minority. Mabye I'm about to ask a question that makes me look like a total newcomer to the Devil may cry brand but it's something I need to ask. One of the biggest point i her put against DmC is that it runs at 30 frames per second. Now from a technical side i can kind of understand why this matters as you are losing half the precision to do things that you could do before (oh no what will i do without those precious miliseconds) now I want to ask does the averrage DMC player really utilize those 60 frames or is it something that is easy to hold against the game but dosen't really matter. Are all of you jump cancelling and just guarding and all the other terms or is it just me who dosen't do that?

The way I understand it, they're basically saving room for everything else they wanted to include. Images take up a lot of memory, so taking out half gives you more to work with. I really don't have a problem with them putting it down to 30fps. With so much going on, on screen, it makes a lot of sense to me. It's the complaints that don't make sense to me since the human eye can see a perfectly smooth video at 30fps. I don't know how low it has to get before you can tell there are missing frames, but since they aren't pushing that limit it really doesn't matter to me.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
I recomend 4 since it more closely resembles DmC.

Anyway, I've been playing those for a while. I been trying to Platinum DMC1.

That's a little surprising. Considering how much time people here spend talking DMC I figured people had been playing DMC.
I have!!! only dmc3 and dmc4 with Nero only. But since i got ZoE HD, i'm on a whole different drug now. Castlevania: LoS seems to be a good way to test your shoulder skills and other things too like Forward, Forward, moves.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Not I, I haven't played 4 in a looooong time! I've been playing 1 and 3. I'll provably give it a go after I earn the trophie I'm working on.

Razyel

Soul Reaver
The way I understand it, they're basically saving room for everything else they wanted to include. Images take up a lot of memory, so taking out half gives you more to work with. I really don't have a problem with them putting it down to 30fps. With so much going on, on screen, it makes a lot of sense to me. It's the complaints that don't make sense to me since the human eye can see a perfectly smooth video at 30fps. I don't know how low it has to get before you can tell there are missing frames, but since they aren't pushing that limit it really doesn't matter to me.
24 fps is the limit, below that you can see the separate frames .

Top Bottom