• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

who is the legendary dark knight?

who is LDK

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyles

Oookkay.

When I first played DMC and got Sparda, I was excited. Then I found out it was just a bonus costume for Dante (since it's made by Capcom [company which created Resident Evil and gives bonuses to their RE fans by adding new features and costumes during a second game play.]), and that's how I viewed it. Yamato was just for show, plus it was a fun "Easter Egg" for the fans when DMC3 came along. Didn't know such a thing would cause two fans to get into each others' e-face.

But honestly, I'd really like to play as Sparda in a future DMC game, not just a costume.

Solidus

Rebellion
First I'll reply to your last argument. A picture of Sparda was shown after you defeated Mundus on mission 22.
And...? As far as I'm concerned, that does not explain why a there is a picture of Sparda in the background when you use a save slot for playing as the LDK. I would like to put a reminder here that 22 isn't the final mission of the game either. (I know you probably know that already but...)

When the game first notifies you that you can now play as LDK after beating Hard Mode, there is again another CG of Sparda in the background behind the message. Again, another chance for them to give us a pic of the Older Dante that we have just unlocked and yet we are given a another picture of Sparda instead...

Also I think that an older Dante sounds less off the wall than 2000 year old dead dude suddenly and randomly resurrcted.
What are you talking about man? I thought I already explained this: Being able to play as Sparda was thrown in by Capcom as a bonus for replayablity. It dosen't have to make sense. It's a bit like being able to control Raiden in the Tanker rooms of MGS2 Substance, even though he has no business being there. He was not resurrected.

And it seems there is a paradox of sorts in this arg. Following your logic of the LDK unlockable having any reference to the story of DMC1, please explain to me how the hell does this older Dante supplant the normal Dante in the space-time continuum? What is this older Dante doing on the Mallet Island that collapsed and was nuked in a big pretty purple cloud.

DMC2 Secret Ending: Dante: "I think I'll go back to Mallet Island and do it all again, whilst cosplaying as my dead father..."

Yeah.

Also you've created another paradox in your arguments, being able to change is to be able to CREATE change so if he has creative powers in one area, why not in more than one. After all he's seen as a god. Like I said before even the, what you call, human Sparda isn't conventionally attractive. He looks like a stiff.
Seen as a god? By whom? Arkham? He's an idiot. Sparda's not a god for crying out loud. I don't know what Arkham was on when he thought he was going to become a god.

About the creative powers thing: I still say what whatever happened to Sparda changing his appearance and clicking your fingers and conjuring up blond women and armies of darkness to invade the human world are two different kinds of feat.

Also Yamato is a sword said to cut anything, it would render a lot of Dante's arsenal obsolete and the last thing Dante wants is to be decapitated by it by some DMC fodder.
I say the "said to cut through anything" text is a load of corny bull to make it sound cool. It is proven in gameplay that there are some things Yamato cannot cut through, for instance the Rebellion sword. Also if some fodder enemy hasn't shown up to kill him with Yamato in neither DMC2 or DMC4, then why the hell should they ever? Why bother?

Anyway I'd hardly describe Yamato as the Holy Grail of Sparda and Dante's arsenal. In DMC1 it does no more or less than Alastor. (in gameplay terms). Force Edge/Sparda is clearly is the weapon fitted to the role being the legendary sword that defeated the forces of evil.

True I don't know in what context "A sparda, was used.
Well I do. He is referred to as simply "Sparda" in the save game menu because that's who he is.

However addressing someone by their second name is something only superiors do so why did even the humans call Sparda by that name if he was superior to them in every concievable way (minus aesthetics).
Maybe he is a demon and has only one name. And what the hell else are they going to call him?
No demons in the real world, eh. So what there are thieves, murderers, terrorists and every other type of scum on this panet but I don't see people flipping off the walls with dual pistols in hand and a stupidly sized sword strapped to their back.
...so?
Your character change argument idea isn't really valid because super Dante and regular are pretty much one and the same so why shouldn't the same follow for LDK.
Not really valid?! You don't find it bizarre that the syntax of the game refers to it as a CHARACTER select and not a COSTUME select. If LDK is Dante shouldn't they have called it a "costume change?"

Also, oh come on if Sparda sealed his power away and became human, he would have lost his immortality to age.
Godamnit, I never claimed he was immortal, I claimed that Sparda being a demon lived a lot longer than humans - source - "Sparda took pity on humans for their brief, transient lives". - from DMC1 manual. Anyway we don't know the chronology of Sparda's various exploits for sure.

So you've gone about your every day life in a trech coat. I'll believe that when I see it.
No for crying out loud, that is not what I said.

You can't integrate two arguments that contradict each other in such a way that, no matter what context they're put in, they don't make sense.
Perhaps I did do that as some point, perhaps I didn't. I was only referring to the various statements I saw that I did not agree with, coming out with reasons why I think it just cannot be. But my arguments I admit are a mix of facts, guesswork, opinion, theories and counter-arguments, those things of which make up the same thing as what yours is. You've used the word "maybe" few times now, for instance below: "MAYBE" MAYBE he's a close shaver later on.
Maybe he's a close shaver later on, we know how osessed he is with himself. I mean "Can't you tell by looking at me" that scene in DMC3 shows you how conceited he is and people stay the same on those fronts.
I don't think of him as vain and conceited, just flippant, witty and sarcastic. You can't judge him that way because of one throwaway one-liner. Self-obsessed? no idea what you mean.

Another thing: Well this is just an opinion but..."Legendary Dark Knight Dante" sounds unbelievably stupid, and I winced the first time I heard Trish say it and could not believe I was watching these stupid corny cutscenes.

To add to that we don't know if Dante and Vergil got any time to get to know their father before he died, and if they did, how long for? Because there's something funny Dante says in the Griffon Death cutscene which implies he never got the chance to get to know him or meet him properly. I say this because, if he didn't, then tell me how does Dante know what Sparda looks like...?
Also LDK features in all of Dante's cutscenes in the exact same way so if your little scenario is true then the game makes less sense than a drunk who's just come out after eleven.
O M G. I am DONE going through this one with you again. Please refer to my statement somewhere above about Mallet Island getting nuked and how neither Sparda nor any Older Dante can go back and "do it all again", since LDK is just a damn BONUS that they threw there in for replay value, and has no basis in the story.

IloveVergil

Demon a$$-kicker
o_O Alright people just chill.....u r getting too excited about this....
Anyway if LDK is Sparda then I'd say Capcom made a huge joke by putting him in the cutscene where he(actually Dante in the costume,u know what I mean) says"He's the one that took the life of my mother for sure." "My mother always used to tell me that my father was a man who fought for the weak. He had courage and a righteous heart. In the name of my father I will kill Mundus!"I is so ****!n' idiotic to hear Sparda address his own wife as"mother" :lol:

Kaihedgie

IloveVergil;8975 said:
o_O Alright people just chill.....u r getting too excited about this....
Anyway if LDK is Sparda then I'd say Capcom made a huge joke by putting him in the cutscene where he(actually Dante in the costume,u know what I mean) says"He's the one that took the life of my mother for sure." "My mother always used to tell me that my father was a man who fought for the weak. He had courage and a righteous heart. In the name of my father I will kill Mundus!"I is so ****!n' idiotic to hear Sparda address his own wife as"mother" :lol:

The argument is only revovling around the identity of LDK, not cutscenes

d4rkn1ght

Devils Never Cry
well..............that Means Sparda had a Legendary job for his Legendary life :p

to do a great and LONG speech for the great Wisers

Solidus

Rebellion
Blood Knight;9029 said:
he was meant to be older dante, but most people just assumed it was sparda

Really. How do you know this? I'd like some sources. Or even some reasons perhaps.

d4rkn1ght

Devils Never Cry
Sparda was the first Demon to defeat Mundus..................and the story will repeat but with his son

Captain Liberty

A True Swordmaster
I think there is a much easier way to settle this. I don't have the picture on me but I know it's on the message board somewhere (I'll look for it later, busy now) but in the artwork book for DMC1 there is a picture of Sparda, and he is FAR removed from the LDK, infact with Eva behind him someone descirbed it as looking at a Beauty and the Beast image :p.

The image showed a man with a large build who looked shorter than Dante, but deffently more muscled. If he is Sparda in human form then no way can LDK be Sparda.

IloveVergil

Demon a$$-kicker
Is it this one??
artbook_23.jpg

Dark Elf

Dagger user
DAMN! When I saw this picture I started to hope that LDK from DMC is Sparda. This guy looks like an ape (just kiddin')

Dark Elf

Dagger user
No, seriously. In DMC 3, Dante said "...my father wasn't so hideous.Can't you say that when looking at me?" That means Sparda looked like Dante. And this gorilla can't be mistook for Dante.

IloveVergil

Demon a$$-kicker
Alastor12;9191 said:
No, seriously. In DMC 3, Dante said "...my father wasn't so hideous.Can't you say that when looking at me?" That means Sparda looked like Dante. And this gorilla can't be mistook for Dante.

That's what came to my mind when I saw that....really Sparda's gotta be more handsome than this big ape >_<

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
The plot makes little if any sense in either scenario. I spite of this I have one more agument to support my theory, if he is Sparda, why can't you be in his demon state all of the time after all the human is his costume, he should be able to show his true form all of the time if he truly is Sparda.

Blood Knight;9029 said:
he was meant to be older dante, but most people just assumed it was sparda

Thanks Steve, can you have a book or web reference for us to see though.

Dark Elf

Dagger user
The Phantarch;9208 said:
.I have one more agument to support my theory, if he is Sparda, why can't you be in his demon state all of the time after all the human is his costume, he should be able to show his true form all of the time if he truly is Sparda.

It would make gameplay too easy.

IloveVergil

Demon a$$-kicker
The Phantarch;9208 said:
The plot makes little if any sense in either scenario. I spite of this I have one more agument to support my theory, if he is Sparda, why can't you be in his demon state all of the time after all the human is his costume, he should be able to show his true form all of the time if he truly is Sparda.
Thanks Steve, can you have a book or web reference for us to see though.

Even though I think it's older Dante,I don't agree with you in this case.Remember,Dante or Sparda,it's only a costume,not a different playable character,and it won't give you the full advantage of being Sparda.
BTW what do u think of the artbook scan on the previus page?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom