• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

NT hiring for a new AAA game using UE4.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Interesting post over at the Escapist:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...stop-ignoring-gamings-screams-for-help?page=2

CO Maestro (Post #52)

I have a lot of friends in game development and one of them wrote out the following FAQ once when asked about the cost of creating a game. I found it an interesting read and it really does explain where a lot of the money goes. This is from the developers point of view, so realize when it comes to a publisher who dumped a bunch of money to cover all these costs and needs to cover all its expenses and still make a profit, the numbers likely double.

"So let's get started. It is REALLY hard to explain this without going into a ton of detail, but here's how it works in the simplest possible explanation (and this is still really long):

Ignoring for a second how hard it is to make a good game, let's just focus on how much it costs to make all the "things" (assets) that go into a game. We'll assume that everything you try goes right the first time you try it, that you make no mistakes and get everything done precisely on time.

If you're an average development studio in a place like Los Angeles or San Francisco, it costs a lot just to keep your doors open and your lights on (rent, insurance, employee benefits, power, government fees, bank interest, etc). But let's ignore that and just assume that all costs $0.00 somehow.

Normally you have to look around for a while and try to get a publisher to pay you to make a game for them. During this time, you're making no money and every month you're still paying bills. But for now, let's assume that somehow you already have a game deal, so you have $0.00 losses before you even start.

A note: the publisher has people working for them who cost money, too. For the sake of our example, let's assume they don't exist and cost $0.00.

So now you've got a deal with a publisher where they pay you a certain amount of money each month in exchange for you making a game for them. Usually, the amount you get changes every month (it costs more to make a game in the middle and at the end then it does at the very beginning), but let's assume that somehow you've already done all that cheap pre-production work for $0.00 and all you have to do is the expensive production work.

Development deals of this type usually pay the development studio a generic amount of money per month for every employee that the developer has that is actively developing the game. Anyone your company has that isn't a developer, like HR, IT, Lawyers, QA Testing (sometimes), CEOs, CFOs, CTOs, etc... don't count in that amount that you get. So for the sake of this example, we'll assume that every single person working at your company is a developer.

According to the 2011 Game Developer Magazine salary survey, the average salary for the four most basic development roles: Design, Programmers, Art/Animation, and Audio is about $81,000 per year (or about $6,750 a month). Remember also that this amount is probably including money the developer doesn't get that goes to state and federal income taxes, social security taxes, or benefit deductions (which can take about 30%-40% of that number away).

Now you need to figure out how many developers it takes to make your game. This depends on how big your game is and a number of other things. These days, it can take hundreds of people to make a big-budget AAA title, but let's take a smaller one: We had around 70 developers (probably more) actively working on Ratchet and Clank 2, so we'll go with that number.

70 developers at the average of $6,750 each will cost you $472,500 per month that you're making the game.
How long does it take to make this game of yours? That depends on the game you're making. These days, it can take 2-3 years to make a AAA high-quality game, but the shortest time I've ever personally seen it done (factoring out pre-production) was about 9 months for Ratchet and Clank 3. Voila! It just cost you more than $4,250,000 to make all the things that go into your game!

Well what if we imagine that the game your company is making is an inexpensive phone game or a facebook game? You could make that with a team of maybe 10 people with 3 months (not counting pre-production time) if you're really booking it. That's more than $200,000! And remember, this is all JUST to pay your employees to make the things that go into your game.

Keep in mind that, as I already pointed out, this is not including any extra costs incurred besides those employees making things that go into your game - extra costs such as Marketing, Customer Support, Publisher QA, Certification, User Testing, Packaging, Shipping, Servers and IT, PR, Human Resources, Taxes, Government Fees, Accountants, Lawyers, Retailer/E-Retailer costs, and so forth (Gamestop or the Apple Store get about 30% of the sticker price).

All of these (and the countless other things I didn't mention) bring a ton of value to the table, and are worth spending money on - so you can imagine how expensive things can get once you get out into the real world, but this might help explain a part of it."

It'd be hilarious if this were DmC2... and that this were the new Dante, blue hair and all. I can't wait to hear the screams and see the Cheetos flakes flying off the keyboard.

What's interesting is that only 90 full time employees worked on DmC from start to finish, and 10 of those were from capcom. So the game probably had a remarkably good budget for a title with such a high quality presentation and final result. I mean lets take the average of 7000 x 80 x 24 to see an approximate budget cost for the game.

The game probably cost somewhere around 10-14 million dollars. That's actually damn good for such a high quality product. I know people sometimes think the game was being developed for 5 years, it wasn't, I think actual development started in summer 2010, and was pretty much finished by April 2012, at this point they refined the game and did QA testing with a much smaller and less expensive team. So, that's probably why the game might get a sequel and be a success, it doesn't require as much to be profitable and successful.

The only thing I wonder is how much Capcom spent on marketing. That was what destroyed Tomb Raiders profitability the massive marketing budget.

Edit: Apparently, the DmC marketing budget was lower than DMC4. Read below.

"I won't get into exact numbers but I also believe your statements about PD or marketing budgets between DMC4 and DmC to not be factually correct (details of which I doubt IR would ever make public since we never disclose exact title level budgets for anything).

That said, I'm really happy you perceive the DmC marketing budget to be "much, much larger". :)"

Christian Svensson,
Corporate Officer/Senior Vice-President
Link to comment.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Or a rebooted Nero... I'd love to see people's reactions. :lol:
I dont think he would have the backlash as Dante or Vergil did:cool:.

On topic- I hope its a new ip or something they've already done because its less baggage.

A guy on the old nt forums, A203d was recommending they throw their hat in the ring for the mgs1 remake but i think its a whole lot of baggage they dont need right now.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
What's interesting is that only 90 full time employees worked on DmC from start to finish, and 10 of those were from capcom. So the game probably had a remarkably good budget for a title with such a high quality presentation and final result. I mean lets take the average of 7000 x 80 x 24 to see an approximate budget cost for the game.

The game probably cost somewhere around 10-14 million dollars. That's actually damn good for such a high quality product. I know people sometimes think the game was being developed for 5 years, it wasn't, I think actual development started in summer 2010, and was pretty much finished by April 2012, at this point they refined the game and did QA testing with a much smaller and less expensive team. So, that's probably why the game might get a sequel and be a success, it doesn't require as much to be profitable and successful.

The only thing I wonder is how much Capcom spent on marketing. That was what destroyed Tomb Raiders profitability the massive marketing budget.

Edit: Apparently, the DmC marketing budget was lower than DMC4. Read below.

"I won't get into exact numbers but I also believe your statements about PD or marketing budgets between DMC4 and DmC to not be factually correct (details of which I doubt IR would ever make public since we never disclose exact title level budgets for anything).

That said, I'm really happy you perceive the DmC marketing budget to be "much, much larger". :)"

Christian Svensson,
Corporate Officer/Senior Vice-President
Link to comment.
I didn't see a very big marketing campaign for DmC at all. There was like no TV spots and I think the most public eye that game had was the CG trailer that premiered before that latest Resident Evil movie. I didn't go see it but, my friend said that's where he saw it.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Actually it's pretty believeable. The hardest part and most important part of DmC, the gameplay, was made in 2001 and was more or less perfected from 2003-2008.
Well, all that had to do was make a better goddamn game but, they just sat on their asses copy and pasting because actually working on it and doing a job was too much. At least NT refined this new streamline combat system for DmC and it works. There's nothing wrong with how DmC plays. It's probably the best in the series mechanically. I just wish the difficulty was racked up and it didn't have stuff like color coded enemy restrictions. Vergil's Downfall got rid of all that crap I was complaining about so at least it's good that they also listened to the constructive feedback and supported the game post release.

IncarnatedDemon

Well, all that had to do was make a better goddamn game but, they just sat on their asses copy and pasting because actually working on it and doing a job was too much. At least NT refined this new streamline combat system for DmC and it works. There's nothing wrong with how DmC plays. It's probably the best in the series mechanically. I just wish the difficulty was racked up and it didn't have stuff like color coded enemy restrictions. Vergil's Downfall got rid of all that crap I was complaining about so at least it's good that they also listened to the constructive feedback and supported the game post release.
I don't take DmC's gameplay seriously. On one side i hear it's spectacular gameplay thats pushed forward the gameplay of DMC.

But then i watch videos and reflect on whats not in DmC. I don't think its necessary to list whats not in DmC.
Anyway i consider DmC "Capcom teaching Ninja theory how to make a DMC game" or "Ninja theory producing a DMC game". And note by producing i do not mean inventing or creating, but making something that has been done before.
If you had put NT to make a completely new IP (new attacks, character, story etc) with "DMC DNA" where DMC DNA treshold is roughly same level of good gameplay as what you see in DmC, then they would have serious issue. They would have to come up with new concepts and do more work.

Anyway whether DMC's gameplay is good or not, DmC's gameplay is certainly not better than it. I would say that its worse and to a certain degree my opinion is a fact.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I don't take DmC's gameplay seriously. On one side i hear it's spectacular gameplay thats pushed forward the gameplay of DMC.

But then i watch videos and reflect on whats not in DmC. I don't think its necessary to list whats not in DmC.
Anyway i consider DmC "Capcom teaching Ninja theory how to make a DMC game" or "Ninja theory producing a DMC game". And note by producing i do not mean inventing or creating, but making something that has been done before.
If you had put NT to make a new IP with "DMC DNA" where DMC DNA treshold is roughly same level of good gameplay as what you see in DmC, then they would have serious issue. They would have to come up with new concepts and do more work.

Anyway whether DMC's gameplay is good or not, DmC's gameplay is certainly not better than it. I would say that its worse and to a certain degree my opinion is a fact.
]

Yadda yadda blah blah blah

I get it. You hate EVERYTHING about DmC and thinks the game does absolutely nothing right. I don't care. I don't even know why I even quoted you. Why do I even bother?

IncarnatedDemon

Yadda yadda blah blah blah

I get it. You hate EVERYTHING about DmC and thinks the game does absolutely nothing right. I don't care. I don't even know why I even quoted you. Why do I even bother?
That's not true. I think DmC has pretty nice art design compared to DMC 4.
DMC 4 is very bland. While DmC is pretty nice art style, reminds me of DMC 1.
Plus there are more to be said about DmC.

Nice enviroments
Pretty good motion capture

But if you ask me, even though those are really good things, its not good in a hack and slash context. Especially since it came at a price e.g 60 fps was sacrificed for dynamic enviroments.

Would be awesome for a adventure/Mystery game.
Maybe thats what NT is working on with their new AAA game?

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
How long did Capcom take between DMC3 and DMC4 announcements? I"m just curious. I just think its sort of like this with any big game, you don't normally announce a sequel only months after release. I think as gamers we should be happy that more companies aren't able to follow the release schedules of activision and ubisoft, because they're the only ones that seem to immediately start selling a sequel for a game before its even released. It's like they're saying "what you didn't like what we did with the last version of this game? Doesn't matter Part 2, 3, 4 and 5, and 6 are already in production, PRE-order now!"

As for Tameem, I really don't think he's worth the amount of hatred some people give him. I have to see more stuff from him to really see if he's worth defending, but I think he did bring some interesting design choices into DmC, but then again, its hard to know what kind of influence he has over design decisions. IS he someone like Kojima, Levine, or Miyamato, someone who really determines the final quality and overall vision of the game, or is he just a good manager with some programming experience? (btw, I"m not implying he's anywhere near their level of pedigree or skill, just saying, in order for him to deserve the amount of vitriol he gets, it would require him to be that influential and significant over the games he designs).

Anyway, he seems like a nice dude, from someone who had no idea who he was before DmC was released (Me). Here's a recent clip I found of him, you have to go to 3:52 to see the infamous Tameem talking about QTE events and where he feels they are appropriate and not appropriate, his views on this issue definitely make me admire him.

The infamous TAMEEM talking about QTE's on some British show. (move to 3:52)

Just for you to have one idea: DMC3 was released in 2005, and in 2005 they already had a teaser for DMC4, DMC and DMC2 where released with 2 years of difference (2001/2003). I mean, things changed in the industry and all that things (games are much, much more expensive in this generation we are leaving behind now compared do the PS2 generation).

I don't think it's bad or good, to be honest. I think that a talented team can make things and listen to feedback at the same time, see their mistakes while even making the game; this is basically what happened in the transition DMC2-DMC3, i mean: Capcom had high standards for Devil May Cry in the last generation, they were expecting it to be a success (and it was, for its time) and they were milking from it. But they've milked it right with DMC and DMC3, with DMC2 and 4 it was too rushed and became something lacking, even if the DMC4 gameplay is miles away from DMC3 in every given possibilty and player mechanic, it still feels like one "incomplete" game and i think this is kinda a consensus with all the DMC community, even those who love (myself included) DMC4.

About Tameem: i'm not even a professional about game design and if i was in charge of DmC i'm 100% sure that i would handle a lot of things better than him, given the exact same game, the exact same idea. Some basic balancing, some mechanics that could be more polished (jump-cancel itself) and some little things that would make the difference for those who want to enjoy the game in the long-run like people have been doing with DMC3 and DMC4. But, still, my dislike comes mostly for the kind of person he is, he made some jokes and allowed even some things in the final product that was clearly a way to poke at those who disliked their game and the direction a franchise they loved took. People can try and justify this in a million ways: but he's a professional, and he's just plain retarded to "buy" that fight with consumers and fans from the old series. But that's it, i'm done with all this Tameem thing, and i'm boycotting NT until they fire him or until they make a game without him, simple as this; just my personal take on that subject.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
It was just a comment, nothing to take offense too. And regardless of who they are, it's still pretty damn awful that people should lose their jobs. I've seen first hand just how difficult it can be to find a new job.

Yeah, I'm sure it's going to be very hard for AAA developers or whatever to find new jobs. And if it is, then they should've just picked a job they were good at in the first place. No Captain Hindsight stuff here.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Looks like someone has a stalker.

Dark Drakan, would you mind looking into this? This person's motives seem suspect at best.

Personally, I think this thread should be closed before this gets out of hand.

Could you please just let this guy do what he wants? As long as he brings good arguments to the table, or simply shows his opinion, you have no right to delete his account or whatever just because you don't like what he's saying, i.e. being offended by it. It's not his job to make sure you're not offended by anything. If he's here to start a flame war, then you can get rid of him, but not before.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Yeah, I'm sure it's going to be very hard for AAA developers or whatever to find new jobs. And if it is, then they should've just picked a job they were good at in the first place. No Captain Hindsight stuff here.
This post isn't being made in defense of NT, it's to just clear a few things up.

The game industry is, and almost always has been, a cutthroat business. Even before the crash of 2008.

I believe that it is actually very hard not only for game developers, but for almost everyone else as well to find a job.

However, I don't think I'll really get anywhere by saying this. Whenever I bring it up, someone else just brings up the fact that RE sold 4 million and Tomb Raider sold 3 million.

But, believe it or not, there's a huge economic problem out there. And it's only going to get worse.

When it hits you (when, not if), just try to remember what I said. And that I tried to warn everyone else ahead of time.

I say this with no malice, and am really trying to post this in the calmest tone possible.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
DMC 4 sucks. DmC is better than 2 and 4 hands down. I'm going watch Spider-Man and Rescue Rangers. I'm tired of this silly back and forth about trivial aspects of a video game.

Another argument between two people who feel the opposite way, without presenting actual logical, cogent arguments for both their views. In this case, if it goes on like this, maybe this thread should be closed.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Could you please just let this guy do what he wants? As long as he brings good arguments to the table, or simply shows his opinion, you have no right to delete his account or whatever just because you don't like what he's saying, i.e. being offended by it. It's not his job to make sure you're not offended by anything. If he's here to start a flame war, then you can get rid of him, but not before.
This was waaay back before we cleared things up. I don't know why you feel the need to start another argument.

I don't want to get into one. And this guy's motives are indeed suspect. If you join a forum just to harass another member, then something is seriously wrong here.

Please, can we not get into this?

Top Bottom