• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

don't get why some people made the new DMC such a big deal everything changes for a reason

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Oh definitely, but that's par for the course of the classic's not-too-good writing. They make everything as a self-contained adventure, and they like to do the Bond-like narrative, where it's as self-contained as possible, with very few characters crossing into the other adventures.

I know. So they can do one last game that has no connection to the other games. But make it conclude something. Make it conclude DMC4 - that still seems like a plan.

DMC2 was made well before DMC4, and the safest conclusion is it was Dante driving up to the office, giving the game one of those hopeful/happy endings.

Why is that the safest conclusion? Just because you like happy endings?

DMC4 and Deadly Fortune have no part in DMC2's ending, although it can totally retcon it - like I've said that for a DMC5 they could say Dante has been in Hell, and it is Nero driving in to make contact with Dante, which kicks off his portion of the adventure. However, that's just an idea in my head.

I've thought about that too. Seems like an idea. It could be a way to end the story that started with DMC4.

Whatever happened to "leaving it as it is"?

I guess that's best. I'd have to do something about comments I feel are inflammatory, though. Guess I'll report them in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I know. So they can do one last game that has no connection to the other games. But make it conclude something. Make it conclude DMC4 - that still seems like a plan.

Pretty much what I'd say too. They quietly "stopped" the franchise with DMC4 until they decided to try DmC, when they should have made one last game to let it go out with a bang, so to speak.

Why is that the safest conclusion? Just because you like happy endings?

It's the safest conclusion because of the small amount of information we're given (Dante was the last one seen on a motorcycle, and would be the one to return to his office, where Lucia is waiting), and the context of the whole scene even having a hopeful song playing instead of something somber.

Sure, it could be anyone, but...it's probably the most obvious person. I mean, c'mon, when someone calls your phone, it could be anyone, but the chances of it being someone you expected a call from are pretty high.

I've thought about that too. Seems like an idea. It could be a way to end the story that started with DMC4.

Yup, giving it some sort of actual conclusion isn't really a "necessary" thing, but it's certainly one of the best things they could do for the franchise, or at least the classic series.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Sure, it could be anyone, but...it's probably the most obvious person. I mean, c'mon, when someone calls your phone, it could be anyone, but the chances of it being someone you expected a call from are pretty high.
It'd be funny if it were Trish and she came to tell Lucia that Dante died.

I mean, he did go to hell after all. Can't really think of a more fitting end than that.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It'd be funny if it were Trish and she came to tell Lucia that Dante died.

I mean, he did go to hell after all. Can't really think of a more fitting end than that.

Dude, he goes to Hell in every game except DMC4, that's no big deal to him >.< It's like commuting through the south side of Chicago to get to work every day.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Dude, he goes to Hell in every game except DMC4, that's no big deal to him >.< It's like commuting through the south side of Chicago to get to work every day.
Can't think of a good response to that, so I'll just say this:

The last time he went, he said "all the way," so I figured there's a certain "point-of-no-return".

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Well in my opinion, it's because;

1.) Ninja Theory made it.
2.) Dante looks different.
3.) Tameen said stuff.
4.) The gameplay isn't as complicated as the past games.
5.) It runs on 30FPS.
6.) It might replace the original series.

aoshi

Because, like Lionhart said, it was too soon for any kind of reboot to come. Hell, if they'd make a DMC5 instead their sheep fanbase would flock to it in seconds. But that wouldn't do much in terms of sails because it would be looked at as just another DMC game.

Its sales and not 'sails'.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Well, it's definitely not because of those six reasons you posted. I don't see why anybody would even care about 30 fps. It's enough to make the game run smoothly, so what's the problem? New Dante looks fine to most people, as evidenced in this entire forum, so saying it's because of Dante's looks is just not true. Ninja Theory made it? So? They're fine developers, right? I think their company name is stupid, but other than that, I have nothing against them. Nor should anyone. 'It might replace the original series' is a fair assessment of why people dislike it, though. I mean, the series had no conclusion (not with DMC2, not with Nero), so replacing something that hadn't ended yet is a big deal.

I think it's pretty obvious why some people dislike DmC. It's not because of the fact that Devil May Cry changed: for me, it's because of the fact that it changed too soon, and also because of the type of change. And some things going down in quality.

Like I said in my first post, although I appreciate DmC for what it could've been, I don't appreciate it for what it is. I dislike the characters, its style, its atmosphere, its script is terrible, etc. I think many things DmC does are childish and of low quality, while others are of a higher quality than in DMC. So I don't intend to hate on DmC, but rather lament the missed opportunity, the developers' stance, and the reboot's terrible timing.

Last edited:

Caiden

For me it was NT itself that put me off. The images that showed at GDC 2013 were pretty childish. I understand that they got a lot of crap from fans along the way but that doesn't mean you create images to make fun of your SOURCE material.

AcidX_Y

For me it was NT itself that put me off. The images that showed at GDC 2013 were pretty childish. I understand that they got a lot of crap from fans along the way but that doesn't mean you create images to make fun of your SOURCE material.
I'm pretty sure it was just playful banter, after all they were just responding to insults thrown at their character design. Not like they started the whole thing.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot

True, though. And then there's still people who think NT showed a picture of Dante in Brokeback Mountain because they 'just wanted to show that Dante was meant as a cowboy type of thing'. No, if that were the case, they would not deliberately use Brokeback Mountain (two gay cowboys) in that setting as an example. They could've used anything else. Kind of disrespectful, yeah, and I certainly hope they only meant it as a joke, but it doesn't seem like it.

EDIT: No, they did not use Brokeback Mountain because it portrays ''salt of the earth, common men'' or anything. Don't you think it's a little too huge of a coincidence that they'd compare Dante to two gay cowboys? AND saying 'Dante is not... Dante IS' with the two pictures? They chose to show what they thought was cool. They thought old Dante was not cool, and showed a picture of Fight Club with the words 'Dante is' above it. Come on, they could've chosen any other example, and yet they chose Brokeback Mountain? You've got to be kidding.

Last edited:

Caiden

I'm pretty sure it was just playful banter, after all they were just responding to insults thrown at their character design. Not like they started the whole thing.

I can understand if you are responding to insults but you shouldn't be using what your entire game is based around as a way to fight back. It's your source material and you should show it respect as such.

True, though. And then there's still people who think NT showed a picture of Dante in Brokeback Mountain because they 'just wanted to show that Dante was meant as a cowboy type of thing'. No, if that were the case, they would not deliberately use Brokeback Mountain (two gay cowboys) as an example. They could've used anything else. Kind of disrespectful, yeah, and I certainly hope they only meant it as a joke, but it doesn't seem like it.

Not only is it disrespectful to the source material but it is also disrespectful that they would use being gay as an insult. It's kind of offensive even if they didn't mean for it to be.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Well, it's definitely not because of those six reasons you posted. I don't see why anybody would even care about 30 fps. It's enough to make the game run smoothly, so what's the problem? New Dante looks fine to most people, as evidenced in this entire forum, so saying it's because of Dante's looks is just not true. Ninja Theory made it? So? They're fine developers, right? I think their company name is stupid, but other than that, I have nothing against them. Nor should anyone.

Ho-leeeeeee CRAP! Oh man, if you had seen what I've seen, you'd go insane. I have seen exactly those complaints cited as major reasons, some without any further explanation, just vapidly saying that it's bad because of it.

Like...honestly!

673.jpg

It's half the reason why I'm so adamant about stamping out misinformation - people threw out sooooooo much bullsh!t and others were actually believing it.

They weren't responding to anything actually. They were talking about their process of making Dante fit in a occidental world. It was also to other industry devs, so fans weren't even there, let alone the ones who hated DmC for so long. Looking at the pictures themselves also lacks a great deal of context that was part of the entire panel.

Not only is it disrespectful to the source material but it is also disrespectful that they would use being gay as an insult. It's kind of offensive even if they didn't mean for it to be.

And see, now that's where I get lost, when people think they'd legitimately use an image specifically to denote homosexuality, and to do so with negative connotation. All of those shots of DMC4 Dante was him in many different movies, and Brokeback was not the only one. The idea of that portion of the panel was how Dante's classic design didn't fit with the more down-to-earth setting (goes in line with Tameem having said he'd get laughed out of a common bar). DMC is too stylized itself for that grittier setting, so putting him next to the guys in Fight Club, a very well-known gritty movie of darker tone like DmC's, shows how the classic doesn't quite fit, as well as having him next to the cowboy-types, a very salt-of-the-earth common man.

And see, now that's where I get lost, when people think they'd legitimately use an image specifically to denote homosexuality, and to do so with negative connotation. All of those shots of DMC4 Dante was him in many different movies, and Brokeback was not the only one. The idea of that portion of the panel was how Dante's classic design didn't fit with the more down-to-earth setting (goes in line with Tameem having said he'd get laughed out of a common bar). DMC is too stylized itself for that grittier setting, so putting him next to the guys in Fight Club, a very well-known gritty movie of darker tone like DmC's, shows how the classic doesn't quite fit, as well as having him next to the cowboy-types, a very salt-of-the-earth common man.
Also, that was a presentation by the art guy, not all of NT. NT is a very independent company, where everyone has strong viewpoints and ideas. So it is important to keep in mind, that the way he presented his little presentation, which was for "industry" people only and not PR, isn't reflective of the company as a whole. Anyway, I feel like I'm having deja vu, haven't we had this conversation about the 10 minute art talk thingie, and it always ends the same way, we weren't there, we don't know the tone in which those images were presented.

Last edited:
Top Bottom