• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

don't get why some people made the new DMC such a big deal everything changes for a reason

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I would think it's because the pictures lack the context of the commentary going with them, and the fact that I don't think people actually recognize Andrew from Chronicle, or haven't seen the movie in general >.<

Domenic93

And see, now that's where I get lost, when people think they'd legitimately use an image specifically to denote homosexuality, and to do so with negative connotation. All of those shots of DMC4 Dante was him in many different movies, and Brokeback was not the only one. The idea of that portion of the panel was how Dante's classic design didn't fit with the more down-to-earth setting (goes in line with Tameem having said he'd get laughed out of a common bar). DMC is too stylized itself for that grittier setting, so putting him next to the guys in Fight Club, a very well-known gritty movie of darker tone like DmC's, shows how the classic doesn't quite fit, as well as having him next to the cowboy-types, a very salt-of-the-earth common man.
Of course DMC4 Dante wouldn't fit in he was using the fully activated Gilgamesh. they had 4 different dantes to choose from, DMC3 shirtless Dante would have looked fine in that scene, they just wanted to use dante in a fighting pose with Gilgamesh to try to make it seem extra out of place, they could have very easilly put him in a neutral stance, with rebellion or unhanded, but that would actually work against them, wouldn't it and they can't have that, they have try and make everyone look down on the original series.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Of course DMC4 Dante wouldn't fit in he was using the fully activated Gilgamesh. they had 4 different dantes to choose from, DMC3 shirtless Dante would have looked fine in that scene, they just wanted to use dante in a fighting pose with Gilgamesh to try to make it seem extra out of place, they could have very easilly put him in a neutral stance, with rebellion or unhanded, but that would actually work against them, wouldn't it and they can't have that, they have try and make everyone look down on the original series.

For f#ck's sake.

Of course Shirtless DMC3 Dante would have worked better in that one image, but that's completely beside the point, and that's not the common image of Dante, because it lacks his iconic red coat. They chose a DMC4 render because, well, honestly it's the most recent rendition of him, and is made from the best graphics (being from this generation). His classic designs are just too flamboyant, and the Shirtless Dante is the only one that could be regarded as "normal" only because it literally lacks all of the iconic flair Dante is known for. It's Dante's clothes that are the point of that, as they're what makes him look aesthetically stylish (or what have you), but also what makes him stand out too much from the common man, which is why DmC Dante has a more subdued and man-on-the-street look.

I'm sick of people thinking there's always some sort of stupid ulterior motive that's so obviously happening. Who does that sh!t? Why would anyone bother? At no point have they ever attempted to make people look down on the original series, and if there was, you're gonna have to show something definitive that's not just some bullsh!t interpretation - like pretty much everything I've ever seen someone bring up has been :/

:laugh: Ninja theory isn't a very independent company, the only reason they've survived this long is because they have tax breaks for game developers in england something about cultural or something
Yeah, and so do Google and so do Rocksteady and probably Platinum games and every other damn corporation, semantics my friend, semantics, by independent I mean they are small and have lots of people with strong opinions and views.

And they haven't just survived this long due to tax breaks, its because they get hired to develop stuff... Same as any other independent studio.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah, and so do Google and so do Rocksteady and probably Platinum games and every other damn corporation, semantics my friend, semantics, by independent I mean they are small and have lots of people with strong opinions and views.

I think what you mean is views that are not instantly shared by the entirety of the company, nor representative of them :tongue:

Yeaaah... no.

Yeah, I'm not sure the country that has a luxury tax on owning televisions would give tax breaks to an game company >.<

Actually...do they still have that luxury tax...o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I mean that, but also that they technically one of the few triple AAA studios not owned by a giant publisher.

Yeah, I'm not sure the country that has a luxury tax on owning televisions would give tax breaks to an game company >.<

Actually...do they still have that luxury tax...o_O
Even if it is, it wouldn't make them any different than the rest of the corporations, I'm sure there are incentives for representing game development from UK, since I can only think of two major studios from UK, Rocksteady and Ninja Theory, but its probably insignificant and not something that would actually allow the company to exist if wasn't getting actual contracts to develop games.

Last edited:
BTW, the creative collective logo has nothing to do with tax incentives, its just a UK pride thing for companies if they want to have it.

Yes, its from wikipedia, but it was linked from the official website:

The logo is provided for Made in Creative UK supporters in their games (or digital media) and on their websites. In order to qualify to display the logo, 50% or more of the creative labour must have been produced in the UK. Developers are encouraged to use the logo but never obligated to use it and will never incur costs for its use. Placement is entirely at supporters discretion.

High visibility of this logo will…

• Inspire British students to learn important skills for the digital economy in the UK
  • Raise the profile of the UK Games Industry across the world to increase exports
  • Raise the profile of an important 21st century industry with the general public
Lol, actually it has nothing to do with the government either, and if anything NT might actually donate to it instead of receiving some sort of monetary benefit for using it.

Last edited:

Domenic93

BTW, the creative collective logo has nothing to do with tax incentives, its just a UK pride thing for companies if they want to have it.

Yes, its from wikipedia, but it was linked from the official website:

The logo is provided for Made in Creative UK supporters in their games (or digital media) and on their websites. In order to qualify to display the logo, 50% or more of the creative labour must have been produced in the UK. Developers are encouraged to use the logo but never obligated to use it and will never incur costs for its use. Placement is entirely at supporters discretion.

High visibility of this logo will…

• Inspire British students to learn important skills for the digital economy in the UK
  • Raise the profile of the UK Games Industry across the world to increase exports
  • Raise the profile of an important 21st century industry with the general public
Lol, actually it has nothing to do with the government either, and if anything NT might actually donate to it instead of receiving some sort of monetary benefit for using it.
ok, thanks for clearing that up, I must have remembered that wrong, it has been a while since I read an article about it.
edit: NOW I remember were I heard that, I read an article Where Uwe Boll said that about his movies in Germany.

This_IZ_Sparda!

I would NOT want to look at DmC as a replacement. I may love the reboot despite its flaws but i still RESPECT AND LOVE the classics. Why dont we simply look at it as an alternate game/storyline? NT was wrong to say that they made a "better" game, but the game wasn't THAT bad.. despite the what critics and hardcore DMC fans say whether irrationally or rationally flaming it.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I would NOT want to look at DmC as a replacement. I may love the reboot despite its flaws but i still RESPECT AND LOVE the classics. Why dont we simply look at it as an alternate game/storyline? NT was wrong to say that they made a "better" game, but the game wasn't THAT bad.. despite the what critics and hardcore DMC fans say whether irrationally or rationally flaming it.

True. If I were to give DmC a grade compared to DMC3, it would be a 7/10 against DMC3's 9/10. Part of this also has to do with how good DMC3's graphics were at the time, as well as the gameplay, obviously. And some of the writing. DmC is by no means a terrible game, but it is one that easily polarizes people.

This_IZ_Sparda!

**about DMC3**

I remember playing DMC3 twice. and I remember how i laughed at Dante's humor when insulting Cerberus... and yeah, the friggin' joker-jester character. But from what i remember, as much as i love his character, this one seemed abit, errr, 2-dimensional... for a lack of better term. I have yet to play DMC 4 so i dunno if he's shown any flexibility in character. (i mean not just only showing a side that he's a bad-ass anti-hero). DmC Dante, despite the foul mouth, cocky dick that he is (yet, still cool and badass in my opinion ;), somehow showed a different side where he was concerned about Kat, the human race, and such.
If it weren't for the fact that it's a reboot, i'd consider this as an origin story.. where black haired Dante grows to be the white haired Dante he is in the later games... lets go of the booze, smokes, maybe even most of the time he spends with girls (like i said, most. he could still get it on during his free time ;) ), and even minimalize his foul-mouth attitude. And then he rents a room in an apartment where he can eat his pizza while waiting for business offers of demon-slaying. but, it aint. soooo, yeeeahhhh..

**sorry got a little carried away with the last paragraph.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
True. If I were to give DmC a grade compared to DMC3, it would be a 7/10 against DMC3's 9/10. Part of this also has to do with how good DMC3's graphics were at the time, as well as the gameplay, obviously. And some of the writing. DmC is by no means a terrible game, but it is one that easily polarizes people.

I played it the other night its..fun..and the plot wasnt awful again my compalint was honestly the game play lol i dont like the enemies and dantes moves..annoyed me maybe i have to unlock everything before i can really enjoy his gameplay or maybe its like dmc3 and i wont enjoy it untill im vergil but the gameplay really threw me off

This_IZ_Sparda!

I played it the other night its..fun..and the plot wasnt awful again my compalint was honestly the game play lol i dont like the enemies and dantes moves..annoyed me maybe i have to unlock everything before i can really enjoy his gameplay or maybe its like dmc3 and i wont enjoy it untill im vergil but the gameplay really threw me off

playing DMC3 was intense.. but enjoyable i remember fumbling through the controls just trying to get combos right. and yeah, "farming for XP" in a matter of saying to buy some upgrades. DmC was a much slower pace, but in my opinion, i felt it was meant to set the pace. to make the player feel the story, environment more. but then again, it was meant for a much "larger audience" maybe that's why it was dumbed down. meh, still liked it anyways....

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
playing DMC3 was intense.. but enjoyable i remember fumbling through the controls just trying to get combos right. and yeah, "farming for XP" in a matter of saying to buy some upgrades. DmC was a much slower pace, but in my opinion, i felt it was meant to set the pace. to make the player feel the story, environment more. but then again, it was meant for a much "larger audience" maybe that's why it was dumbed down. meh, still liked it anyways....

Yah i liked it too just..the gameplay lol idk ill def buy it and try it again prolly didnt help i threw it on the hardest diffuculty right away lol

This_IZ_Sparda!

Yah i liked it too just..the gameplay lol idk ill def buy it and try it again prolly didnt help i threw it on the hardest diffuculty right away lol

Maybe borrow it from a friend to just to be sure. lol to save on cash if u want. well it wasn't THAT bad.. really. just another hack n' slash game you could get to enjoy during leisure. I felt the same way with Duke Nukem Forever, (even though DmC was WAY better than that!) where i could just play it for the fun and lols. and it did not really disappoint. :p btw honestly, i find both Dantes cool, although the classic had more grounds covered than the reboot one. but I wouldnt mind trying to cosplay the latter. ;)

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Maybe borrow it from a friend to just to be sure. lol to save on cash. :p honestly, i find both Dantes cool, although the classic had more grounds covered than the reboot one. but I wouldnt mind trying to cosplay the latter. ;)

i perfered dmc3 dantes moves to the reboot but maybe ill get used to it idk lol

Top Bottom