• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

don't get why some people made the new DMC such a big deal everything changes for a reason

He shouldn't start what he can't finish, but fine. I'll stop.
It's better to leave it as it is.
At some point you all people should get tired of getting into arguments with each other.Some people are entitled to their opinions and can't be convinced otherwise.
(well,I was like this at first too,but then I got more open to other points of view too)

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
But see, the series did end. It was all but done with DMC4! It wasn't a decision to make DMC5 or DmC, DmC was the first and only thought when they decided to pick up the IP again when they did.

How did it end, exactly? What conclusion have the games built up towards? Last time I checked, Nero was a loose end, and Dante's fate was unknown, because DMC2 still takes place after DMC4. DMC4, meanwhile, did not conclude anything - in fact, it introduced Nero and left it at that.

I'd say one of the best examples of "japanese" voice direction would be the incessant use of character's gasping at everything. It's like in Japan they figure "We paid them this much! We're gonna have them make noises till it's paid off!"

For example...

...I've always hated it, because it's never been something that people do, at least not in the US >.<

I don't know where you come from, but I'm pretty sure gasping is a fairly normal response to a distressing situation. Obviously, it's not something people do all the time - but it's not like it's weird behavior like you're making it out to be. If FF XII had too much of that, alright, but I haven't played any Japanese game lately that had their characters gasping all the time.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It's not a matter of how it ended in the stories, even though each game possesses a mostly self-contained narrative, it's that Capcom was done with Devil May Cry with DMC4.

Even speaking of the characters, many of them in each game have been introduced and left to whatever in the end; Nero follows in Lucia's footsteps, and even Trish and Lady were relegated to extras with little narrative impact beyond the games they debuted in.

And technically no, Dante's fate after DMC2 isn't unknown, it's very much implied that he's the one driving up to his office on the motorcycle, where Lucia was waiting for him.

EDIT: And unfortunately for how Japan treats fanbases outside of their own borders; we knew about Nero, too. His lineage was all but implied in the novelization of DMC4 called Deadly Fortune, and it also mentions how Nero settles down with Kyrie and opens up his own Devil May Cry office.

From Capcom's standpoint, there isn't really much of left untold in DMC4, regardless of how we feel in the West :facepalm:

I don't know where you come from, but I'm pretty sure gasping is a fairly normal response to a distressing situation. Obviously, it's not something people do all the time - but it's not like it's weird behavior like you're making it out to be. If FF XII had too much of that, alright, but I haven't played any Japanese game lately that had their characters gasping all the time.

Then you're just not really paying attention enough to it, or finding stuff that fortunately has gotten out of it. Or you haven't seen nearly as much stuff as I have, I dunno. It's a common thing that pretty much any time the camera pans to a character for some reason, they are making some sort of overly-exaggerated grunts, gasps, or breathing. It's something that once I found that it bugged me, I noticed it far more often than I used to - and it's not just in "distressing situations" as you say. It's for happy times, sad times, and everything in-between.

It has gone down in recent years (at least when localized), but it is a very common thing in a lot of Japanese content.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Then you're just not really paying attention enough to it, or finding stuff that fortunately has gotten out of it. Or you haven't seen nearly as much stuff as I have, I dunno. It's a common thing that pretty much any time the camera pans to a character for some reason, they are making some sort of overly-exaggerated grunts, gasps, or breathing. It's something that once I found that it bugged me, I noticed it far more often than I used to - and it's not just in "distressing situations" as you say. It's for happy times, sad times, and everything in-between.

It has gone down in recent years (at least when localized), but it is a very common thing in a lot of Japanese content.

Normally, if somebody gasps, it's because of a distressing situation. But now that you mention it, I have noticed it in Final Fantasy XIII a few times - I think it was mainly Vanille who did it.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Normally, if somebody gasps, it's because of a distressing situation. But now that you mention it, I have noticed it in Final Fantasy XIII a few times - I think it was mainly Vanille who did it.

Yeah that >.<

I guess it's not so much just a "gasp" as it is just like...really melodramatic breathing in response to things. The same thing happens when like, someone gets ready to battle, and they let out this like "Hng!" from gritted teeth.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
It's not a matter of how it ended in the stories, even though each game possesses a mostly self-contained narrative, it's that Capcom was done with Devil May Cry with DMC4.

Even speaking of the characters, many of them in each game have been introduced and left to whatever in the end; Nero follows in Lucia's footsteps, and even Trish and Lady were relegated to extras with little narrative impact beyond the games they debuted in.

And technically no, Dante's fate after DMC2 isn't unknown, it's very much implied that he's the one driving up to his office on the motorcycle, where Lucia was waiting for him.

EDIT: And unfortunately for how Japan treats fanbases outside of their own borders; we knew about Nero, too. His lineage was all but implied in the novelization of DMC4 called Deadly Fortune, and it also mentions how Nero settles down with Kyrie and opens up his own Devil May Cry office.

From Capcom's standpoint, there isn't really much of left untold in DMC4, regardless of how we feel in the West :facepalm:

If Capcom was done with Devil May Cry, why make DmC, then? DmC is still a Devil May Cry game.
Yeah, but Trish and Lady are not the main character. I think it's pretty weird to introduce a main character (THE protagonist, in fact) only to leave his fate unknown.

It's implied that Dante is the one who drives to his office, but it could be Trish or anyone else who found his motorcycle, really. DMC2 didn't conclude anything.

I never read Deadly Fortune, and I don't think it's fair to expect people to read it. Aside from that, I think it was written after DMC4's writer was sacked, so technically it isn't even canon. The thing is, they started a storyline in the video games, so now they have to end it in the video games.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Unless Capcom makes a DMC5 with the ideas left in DMC4 material collection where Dante is taken by his demon side, kills Trish and Lady, becomes an hermit, to reappear later in human society, since DMC2 is the last game in franchising.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Yeah that >.<

I guess it's not so much just a "gasp" as it is just like...really melodramatic breathing in response to things. The same thing happens when like, someone gets ready to battle, and they let out this like "Hng!" from gritted teeth.

Aahahah! Isn't 'hnnngh' the sound of imminent orgasm? :laugh: I think I've seen it on memes a few times XD

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
If Capcom was done with Devil May Cry, why make DmC, then? DmC is still a Devil May Cry game.

I mentioned that before, you must have missed it :x

During DmC's development, they had said that if not for DmC, there would be no more Devil May Cry games. The franchise had essentially died after DMC4 within Capcom, but after a few years, they figured "No, why not give it another try. Let's do all the things we wanted to do but never got a chance, and try something new to appeal to a greater audience, get DMC out of its niche circle."

Yeah, but Trish and Lady are not the main character. I think it's pretty weird to introduce a main character (THE protagonist, in fact) only to leave his fate unknown.

Sure, not main characters, but still protagonists important to the narratives they were in. Speaking of, Lucia was a main character. Ironically, she had more screentime than Nero did >.<

It's implied that Dante is the one who drives to his office, but it could be Trish or anyone else who found his motorcycle, really. DMC2 didn't conclude anything.

Well sure, if you want to just completely deny any possibility of who it is for the sake of convenience to your argument, but it's implied to be Dante because he was seen on a goddamn motorcycle at the end of his scenario and he's the only other person in the game besides Lucia who would come to the office (Trish doesn't count because she's not in the game's narrative, just an unlockable character). I'm pretty sure Matier wouldn't be rolling up on that hog, and if anyone else found the motorcycle that Dante was explicitly using when he was popping wheelies through Hell, there's no inclination that they'd come to the Devil May Cry office.

I never read Deadly Fortune, and I don't think it's fair to expect people to read it. Aside from that, I think it was written after DMC4's writer was sacked, so technically it isn't even canon. The thing is, they started a storyline in the video games, so now they have to end it in the video games.

Well, I'm with you there. It's like how there's an ocean of information in Square's Final Fantasy Ultimanias that give great insight into so much, but they're never released outside of Japan. Even if Bingo wasn't part of Capcom, that doesn't mean it isn't necessarily canon, considering he was still contracted by Capcom to write it - there's no way it could have been published otherwise.

Kazushige Nojima who wrote many of the scenarios for Final Fantasy left and was a contract worker for Square for quite a while, and his content is still considered as canon, too. Granted, that's somewhat besides the point, as Capcom can have a wholly different view of things that Square.

However, Bingo is the man who wrote DMC4, and is the man who also wrote the novelization, which expands on things that the game didn't have time to touch upon. While the novel has some inconsistencies from when and what weapons are used where, the insight gained from Bingo writing on things that could not be conveyed without text like from a novelization still have a very important meaning to the canon. That DMC artbook that released also seems to point to agreeing with the validity of the things written in the novelization, too.

Also - there's nothing that says that a game's storyline must both start and end with a video game. That's your own thought on the matter. Don't be upset if others disagree or don't conform with it. In all reality, Japan loves making their franchises multimedia, especially novelizations and such.

Aahahah! Isn't 'hnnngh' the sound of imminent orgasm? :laugh: I think I've seen it on memes a few times XD

It can be >.< It was the only thing I could think of for that vocalization. It's like *grunts of readiness*

Last edited by a moderator:

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
It can be >.< It was the only thing I could think of for that vocalization. It's like *grunts of readiness*

Pffffwaahahh :laugh:
Somebody should totally spoof that, like, have a character go ''yeeeeah... I'm going over here now'' XD

The DMC story line is a wreck because the games aren't chronological. At least with a reboot they can make direct sequels.

True, but it hasn't been chronological since... forever. So I think it's weird timing to make DmC after DMC4. It was an odd choice to just keep Nero a mystery to the people who play the DMC games.

*Sure, not main characters, but still protagonists important to the narratives they were in. Speaking of, Lucia was a main character. Ironically, she had more screentime than Nero did >.<

*Well sure, if you want to just completely deny any possibility of who it is for the sake of convenience to your argument, but it's implied to be Dante because he was seen on a goddamn motorcycle at the end of his scenario and he's the only other person in the game besides Lucia who would come to the office (Trish doesn't count because she's not in the game's narrative, just an unlockable character). I'm pretty sure Matier wouldn't be rolling up on that hog, and if anyone else found the motorcycle that Dante was explicitly using when he was popping wheelies through Hell, there's no inclination that they'd come to the Devil May Cry office.

*Also - there's nothing that says that a game's storyline must both start and end with a video game. That's your own thought on the matter. Don't be upset if others disagree or don't conform with it. In all reality, Japan loves making their franchises multimedia, especially novelizations and such.

*Alright, but I don't think it's acceptable for any character to just be left as a loose end. Whether it's Lucia or Nero doesn't matter.

*The fact is, nobody knows who it is who comes driving back. I'm not denying any possibility, but I'm not willing to jump to the conclusion that it was Dante. For all I know, the motorcycle could've had engravings on it saying who it belonged to. I don't know if Deadly Fortune says anything about Dante, but if it doesn't, doesn't that leave a good possibility that Dante never came back and that Nero took over from him?

*Well, this is a game series. If it sort of started within the games, shouldn't it end within the games? I mean, if I read a book by Ernest Hemingway, I would not expect it to conclude in a video game. What if I didn't even play video games? I'd be f*cked. I'd just have to read something about how it ended - and make an incomplete mental picture.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
The DMC story line is a wreck because the games aren't chronological. At least with a reboot they can make direct sequels.
If they were to continue the original series, then they would have to have a seriously well-written retcon in the works.
****remembers that this is Capcom that we're dealing with here****
HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Ok..........
Let's not put a start to this.
Should have left out the "nice try" part out of his comment, then.
As for "leaving it how it is"...

No. Otherwise they'll just run amok, and claim that it's all in the name of "opinions" and "free speech" while condemning anyone else who does the same thing but doesn't happen to agree with their personal thoughts on the matter.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
If they were to continue the original series, then they would have to have a seriously well-written retcon in the works.
****remembers that this is Capcom that we're dealing with here****
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Should have left out the "nice try" part out of his comment, then.
As for "leaving it how it is"...

No. Otherwise they'll just run amok, and claim that it's all in the name of "opinions" and "free speech" while condemning anyone else who does the same thing but doesn't happen to agree with their personal thoughts on the matter.

The trick is not to just start flaming. If somebody starts calling all DMC fans 'sheep', get ready for a lot of flak. No offense, but it's just like with some of your comments - you can come across as very sarcastic sometimes, and sometimes respond hatefully to comments when you could've responded normally, or not at all. There's been one or two times when you insulted people by posting hurtful small print under your comments, as though people weren't going to get annoyed by that. Or you showed how you disagreed with comments by posting snarky responses. People generally don't like that, and so you really have to take responsibility for your own actions.
I'll admit that I don't respond well to certain comments, but if those comments had been more civil, I would not have responded that way. It's that simple.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
True, but it hasn't been chronological since... forever. So I think it's weird timing to make DmC after DMC4. It was an odd choice to just keep Nero a mystery to the people who play the DMC games.

Just like "Dude, what the hell are you DOING?"

Like this...

*Alright, but I don't think it's acceptable for any character to just be left as a loose end. Whether it's Lucia or Nero doesn't matter.

Oh definitely, but that's par for the course of the classic's not-too-good writing. They make everything as a self-contained adventure, and they like to do the Bond-like narrative, where it's as self-contained as possible, with very few characters crossing into the other adventures.

*The fact is, nobody knows who it is who comes driving back. I'm not denying any possibility, but I'm not willing to jump to the conclusion that it was Dante. For all I know, the motorcycle could've had engravings on it saying who it belonged to. I don't know if Deadly Fortune says anything about Dante, but if it doesn't, doesn't that leave a good possibility that Dante never came back and that Nero took over from him?

DMC2 was made well before DMC4, and the safest conclusion is it was Dante driving up to the office, giving the game one of those hopeful/happy endings.

DMC4 and Deadly Fortune have no part in DMC2's ending, although it can totally retcon it - like I've said that for a DMC5 they could say Dante has been in Hell, and it is Nero driving in to make contact with Dante, which kicks off his portion of the adventure. However, that's just an idea in my head.

*Well, this is a game series. If it sort of started within the games, shouldn't it end within the games? I mean, if I read a book by Ernest Hemingway, I would not expect it to conclude in a video game. What if I didn't even play video games? I'd be f*cked. I'd just have to read something about how it ended - and make an incomplete mental picture.

In a perfect world, sure, but it's not, and the IP holders can do whatever they want with it. The problem with your analogy is that most books, like something Hemingway has done, are self-contained or completed in literary form. Video games are an odd media, and as I mentioned, Japan loves commercializing franchises in any way they can, especially with novelizations. Some if it, however, like Deadly Fortune, offers more information just by virtue of the kind of medium it is. I love writing over drawing comics because I can say and convey a lot more to the reader than with comic panels.

And your mention of a Hemingway story ending itself in a game? Well, that's how marketing works. Getting you into an entirely new medium that they can get some of your phat coin from. Although Japan is a lot less shameless at it than Americans can be. Usually, Japan is content to get money from you for buying the novelization of something you've already experienced some other way.

I'm not saying the practices are right, just that unfortunately, that's what has been done :/

Top Bottom