• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

don't get why some people made the new DMC such a big deal everything changes for a reason

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
It's the voice acting, the way certain characters react to things and some of the characters personalities.

Alright, that I can agree with. There are, perhaps, a few stereotypes in there. I don't really care about that, though. The voice acting seems mostly perfect to me. Certainly better than Dante from DmC, who seems to respond to everything in a monotonous voice, except for when he's shouting. But that's a debate for another time :p

Kaim Argonar

It's the voice acting, the way certain characters react to things and some of the characters personalities.
Any examples? Not that you have to explain yourself or anything, because it is your opinion.

Yeah, but the voice acting is pretty good, too. It fits the things that happen perfectly (well, aside from maybe DMC1 Dante's ''Fill your dark soul with LIIYIIIIIGHT!''). Meh, maybe I'm just used to it or something.
I should have been the one to quench your thirst with sprite!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaim Argonar

Look at any Japanese developed video game (Excluding MGS and maybe some others) and compare the characters to western developed ones. You see anime archetypes all the time.
True a lot of Japanese media games have obsurd and inappropriate lines of dialogue though games like Nier and FFXII are quite great in that regard.

kelvin

i put the post up just to say my opinion because i did have alot of people trolling me because of it. if i offended anyone then i am sorry and i do see were everyone is coming from they did change it to much but i still enjoyed it but am glad that u can have a civil conversion on here with out being threatened or spammed

...you are so cute, can I adopt you?

And welcome to the forum! :3

haha thanx

Look at any Japanese developed video game (Excluding MGS and maybe some others) and compare the characters to western developed ones. You see anime archetypes all the time.
Just like you can see those western typical games filled with American stereotypes which are even more annoying than the japanese ones or just as annoying the japanese ones.
This doesn't aply to all the games,just the majority of them.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Any examples? Not that you have to explain yourself or anything, because it is your opinion.

I'd say one of the best examples of "japanese" voice direction would be the incessant use of character's gasping at everything. It's like in Japan they figure "We paid them this much! We're gonna have them make noises till it's paid off!"

For example...

...I've always hated it, because it's never been something that people do, at least not in the US >.<

AcidX_Y

I'd say one of the best examples of "japanese" voice direction would be the incessant use of character's gasping at everything. It's like in Japan they figure "We paid them this much! We're gonna have them make noises till it's paid off!"

For example...

...I've always hated it, because it's never been something that people do, at least not in the US >.<
This, It just isn't natural.
Just like you can see those western typical games filled with American stereotypes which are even more annoying than the japanese ones or just as annoying the japanese ones.
This doesn't aply to all the games,just the majority of them.
The western stereotypes are usually more natural/real than the Japanese ones.

SugarMoon

It's One on One.

For example...

Nonsense, I do that about 40-50 times a day.

And only a handful of people stare at me like I'm crazy.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
This, It just isn't natural.

But Oak Express is.

...sorry...

I think it comes from how Japan loooooooooooves melodrama, and possibly that gasping was from a time when they couldn't do a whole lot with facial animation in the past, so it worked out well to depict more reactions from the characters, and now...it's...just become a staple. A very silly staple >.<

You must be very proud of yourself.

I thought we weren't supposed to listen to vgchartz? Or is that only when it's inconvenient to one's argument...?

Nonsense, I do that about 40-50 times a day.

And only a handful of people stare at me like I'm crazy.

No, what you're doing is called hyperventilating, Sugar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaim Argonar

For example...

The whole gasping thing another story but they aren't so stacked together that they be become annoying noticed in XII. Only really Ashe and Vaan.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It's pretty apparent in a lot of anything Japanese, I feel. I notice it a lot more than not in a lot of the anime/japanese-developed games I enjoy.

However, what was said before is also true - Japan is stuck in this idea of shoehorning characters into specific archetypes, because they see everything that was good for the longest time had things that followed those archetypes, instead of y'know...those things being written well.

I'm beginning to see a trend with the way Japan thinks...they see something is popular, but then completely misconstrue what actually makes it popular. Games by western developers were popular, so they start giving their IPs to western developers. Or, on the flipside, Namco Bandai thought that because CoD and shooters sell so well, that nobody cares about RPGs like their Tales of series anymore...

To this I claim that Japan has gone retarded...

Last edited:
I hate them just as much,even more.

Care to give me an example? All I've seen as stereotypes for the western ones were like this: guns,guns,more blood,some muscular gross-looking character,everything has to be done with guns,I don't give a f*ck attitude because I'm the superior one etc.
These aren't the only ones,and of course that Japanese have their own pathetic ones too,some were taken and made in a more japanese style.
Annoying cliches.
But let's put these aside and look on the bright side,some are really good on both sides.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
By the way, I'm not sure what 'everything changes for a reason' means. No offense intended. It's just that video games don't have to change at all. Nobody is making it obligatory for developers to reboot or remake games. If Capcom was planning to reboot Devil May Cry anyway, they could've at least done it at a more decent time. Like, when the series ends, instead of just deciding not to develop DMC5 at all. Once you've made no less than four games in the series, I think your right to reboot something willy-nilly is lost - you've got fans to think of, after all. I think DMC should've been rebooted after DMC2, but Capcom decided to mess things up, so here we have a nonsensical character called Nero, and a reboot that does everything all over again (not that well), only tries to do it in one game. Again, no offense, just my thoughts on the game. Hoping nobody will blow stuff out of proportion.

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
By the way, I'm not sure what 'everything changes for a reason' means. No offense intended. It's just that video games don't have to change at all. Nobody is making it obligatory for developers to reboot or remake games. If Capcom was planning to reboot Devil May Cry anyway, they could've at least done it at a more decent time. Like, when the series ends, instead of just deciding not to develop DMC5 at all. Once you've made no less than four games in the series, I think your right to reboot something willy-nilly is lost - you've got fans to think of, after all. I think DMC should've been rebooted after DMC2, but Capcom decided to mess things up, so here we have a nonsensical character called Nero, and a reboot that does everything all over again (not that well), only tries to do it in one game. Again, no offense, just my thoughts on the game. Hoping nobody will blow stuff out of proportion.

But see, the series did end. It was all but done with DMC4! It wasn't a decision to make DMC5 or DmC, DmC was the first and only thought when they decided to pick up the IP again when they did.

Top Bottom