• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

your top 5 games of each three last generations

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
so mine will be based on the console or platform i used, you could do the same just make sure that's it's from that same generation.. and i could've gone back dating to the nes and snes gen, but those part of memories seem blurred, :D

and my list would be,

PSX gen :

1. Final Fantasy 7, from square soft, the first ever JRPG i played, a wonderful experience of gaming, the visuals were nice, the mechanic was occupying, the story was superb and the characters lingers, they leave pleasant memories til now

2. Vagrant Story, another game from square soft, a dark, gloomy action RPG, first impression was, what the eff is with this game, was kinda hard to follow ;the mechanic and the story, but once you've managed further, the game was a work of art, created by the same peoples who created final fantasy tactics i suppose, least that's what the art suggested

3. Final Fantasy Tactics, oh look, another game from square soft, this guy's a square soft homo.. classic turn-based strategy game with panels.. a story about zodiac knights.. and a cameo from cloud and aeris.. oh man, can't describe more, the game was so fun

4. Final Fantasy IX, this guy is surely a square soft homo.. lol, finest visuals on square soft's final fantasy series gloriness on PSX..

5. Xenogears, holy moly, what a square soft homo.. well deal with it, lol.. and as far as i can say, this was a game with the best story i've ever played, none could top this yet

PS2/xbox gen :

1. Devil May Cry 3, no words needed, you know how it was

2. Final Fantasy XII, contrary to others who felt more towards X, i find XII to be awesome and better, love the gambit system, the battle system, the VAs, The world, the direction it was going.. just hated the ending

3. Xenosaga part 3, the best of the xenosaga series, maybe since it was shown to have more liking to xenogears.. and the gears looked better here too compared to part 1 and 2..

4. SMT nocturne, great imagination on the story, lots of sidequests, but the visuals were lacking yet still enough to please.. verymuch time occupying, and demon fusions is the best part, plus it got DMC2 Dante in it..

5. Castlevania curse of darkness, ugly visuals and animations, but it got awesome amount of weapons and the devil forging was the best part from it.. so you spend your time crafting weapons and breeding demons, and exploring fine amounts of area with secrets.. NICE!

PS3/ x360/PC gen, i game on PC on this gen so the list would be :

1. DmC : Devil May Cry, aww yeaaa, dumbed down DMC, casual DMC, unlikable Dante, i dont care, this game made Ninja Theory my new Square enix/soft, FUN.. the animations, Dante's design, combat mechanics, all was perfect.. and i made this game the standard for my H/S taste, none could top this yet, not MGRR, not Lords of Shadow 2, not killer is dead, not darksiders 2.. *my standard wise

2. Castlevania : Lords of Shadow Ultimate Edition, this game was a cinematic and story driven, a darn heavy one at that, a splendid work of art and if you could go pass the clunky, floaty controls, you'll be having a memorable experience.. i was so amazed..

3. Witcher 2 assassins of kings, you dont say no to Geralt, the prologue made the game least likeable but once you move further and went to Flotsam, and sees Iorveth, your journey starts, a not-so-dark-cuz-it-was-filled-with-cool-sense-of-humor journey.. i dunno how to describe this game, my first likeable western RPG, it was great, visuals were beautiful, armors and weapons are cool and visible.. i'm glad i got to know this title

4. Far Cry 3, the number of awards it won describes it verywell

5. Sonic All-star racing transformed, this kind of game is rare on PC, it's a gem, gem, gem..

okay, there you go.. i'm not great with words, not great at playing games either.. come to think of it, i'm not great at anything, nevermind..

and as you can see, i'm a casual gamer, i play games for the fun and relieve stress..

so, what's yours?

*note, was nintendo 64 the same gen with psx? if so, zelda ocarina of time should be on that list replacing Final Fantasy IX

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Well, I have always been mostly (not exclusively) a PC gamer, and in the PC world, the border between a generation and the next one is more faded than in the console world. Therefore, expect some PC title here. However, I will make this list too :)
You'll notice that I start with the PS1 era. That's cause I've never had a PS1 or an earlier console, so never played games from those eras of gaming. Also, it may be quite long, so I'll split this into 2 parts. PS2 era first, and then X360/PS3 era.

PS2 era

1. Neverwinter Nights

NWN-Art.jpg

From the Bioware guys, one of the best RPGs I've ever played, an unforgettable masterpiece, a milestone of its genre.
Featuring the Dungeons&Dragons mechanics, this game is an adventure that will keep you engaged for DAYS non stop. Story is intriguing, gameplay is fun and engaging, the world's mythos and lore are compelling, and the sound design is amazing. Graphics are obviously pretty out of date, but it still does its job of delivering atmosphere, along with the sound. Awesome.

The Witcher

Slovakia_NightOfTheWitcher_1280x1024.jpg

Where did this game come from? This my first reaction when I first saw some materials for this.
The Witcher is inspired by a series of Polish novels and short stories by Andrzej Sapkowski, and actually takes place right after the last book, narrating the deeds of Geralt of Rivia, a mutated monster hunter, master of the sword, afflicted by amnesia.
Now, this game has BALLS. The Witcher's world (both in the games and books) features heavy themes like sex, racism, war, politics. The devs have flawlessly recreated the atmosphere of the books here, and the RPG elements are well implemented into the gameplay. The story and the characters are engaging, and the game features a cool choices/consequences system, where there is "no black and white, only shades of grey". The choices you make influence the story and the fate of the characters, adding tons of replayability.
And I have to make a separate mention for the music, cause it - is - amazing.
Graphics wise, it's made with the Bioware's Aurora Engine, a pretty damn old engine, and they managed to pull off beautiful scenaries nonetheless.
A major flaw for many people, the backtracking during Chapter 3, but I think the storytelling makes for it. Give it a try.

3. Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening

wallpaper_devil_may_cry_3_dantes_awakening_01_1024_11.jpg

Don't take this as an actual 3rd position. I love this game so much that actually, it's like it occupies both 2nd (on par with The Witcher) and 3rd.
Of course, I don't need to say anything about DMC3. Especially in this forum xD

4. F.E.A.R.

fear-1.jpg

From Monolith, we have this game in 4th position. It's awesome. A first person shooter with heavy horror elements that draw inspiration from the eastern concepts of ghosts and phantoms but merge with sci-fi a little bit. The story is twisted and sick, but engaging nonetheless. Might be difficult to understand and follow though.
Gameplay is old school (duh), with med packs, a large amount of guns, the ability to lean (yeah, remember when FPS games had that?) and a cool ass bullet-time mechanic. Enemy variety is a strong point too. Also, this game's enemy AI is notoriously one of the best ever programmed, and set a new standard that many modern games follow, but often don't even come close to this game. You'll see.
Scare is guaranteed. There are a few jumpscares, but most of the fear comes from the excellent visual and sound design. Atmosphere.
You're gonna sh!t in your pants ;)

Spider-Man 2

_-Spider-Man-2-The-Movie-PS2-_.jpg

"Whoa, slow down, babe!" What do we have here? A movie licensed game? Yup. And it doesn't suck balls. It's actually pretty damn fun. It is an action sandbox game with Spiderman as protagonist. Main features of this game, the free roam web swinging and the combat. Bot are FUN. Shooting webs and flying around in New York feels sooo good and fighting thugs and bosses is satisfying. By completing side missions you earn points you can spend to buy cool ass Spiderman style moves you can kick lots of asses with, and I assure you, fun is guaranteed.

King-Sess

The Zelda Fanatic
I'm going to separate each generation into console and handheld, if that is alright with the OP.

Fifth Generation - Console:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
3. Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage.
4. Spyro The Dragon.
5. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped.

Fifth Generation - Handheld:
1. Pokémon: Red & Blue Versions.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons.
3. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages.
4. N/A
5. N/A

Sixth Generation - Console:
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.
2. Sly 2: Band of Thieves.
3. Crash TwinSanity.
4. Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening - Special Edition.
5. Jak 3.

Sixth Generation - Handheld:
1. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap.
2. Pokémon: Emerald Version.
3. Pokémon: FireRed & LeafGreen Versions.
4. Spyro 2: Season of Flame.
5. Spyro: Season of Ice.

Seventh Generation - Console:
1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
2. Devil May Cry 4.
3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.
4. Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus.
5. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time.

Seventh Generation - Handheld:
1. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom
Hourglass.
3. Pokémon: Platinum Version.
4. Pokémon: HeartGold & SoulSilver Versions.
5. Pokémon: Black & White Versions.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Before starting the X360/PS3 era list, here are a few honorable mentions for the PS2 era:

- Prince of Persia: Sands of Time Trilogy

Prince-of-persia-trilogy-collection.jpg

These three games marked my teenager days. Let's proceed with order.

PoP: The Sands of Time is an action-adventure game narrating the deeds of an unnamed young Prince of Persia (yeah... duh) who finds himself unwillingly involved in a story of court plots and magical artifacts, all revolving around the Sands of Time, said to be able to shape time itself.
The gameplay consists of 3D platforming (with wall running, jumping, traps ecc.) and melee combat. Both of those mechanics are affected by the ability of controlling time, thanks to the Prince's Dagger of Time. With it, you can use various powers, that you will unlock throughout the game: you can go backwards in time to cancel a bad move or cheat death, or slow down time, or block time for your enemies so that you can kill them more easily and so on.
The atmosphere is fantastic. Both the visuals and the sound design contribute to create this wonderful arabic fairytale atmosphere that simply sucks you in. Not few were the times I just stood there admiring the scenery and listening to the music. Awesome.

PoP: Warrior Within is set after The Sands of Time and is about the Prince being on a mission to try to undo what he did in the first chapter, while being chased by a mysterious creature. This is the most controversial title in the series. It retains the genre of its predecessor, along with the protagonist. But there are massive and substancial changes.
To start off, the Prince goes from the cool-but-still-naive kind of hero to a bloodthirsty, angry, and darker character. A lot of people hated it. Well, the change may be understandable, given the horrors he had to face during the first chapter, but some fans didn't like such a radical change both in the character and the atmosphere.
We move from the Arabian Nights to a darker, more gothic-like, dirty setting.
So, what's my position about the new design? Well, meh. Didn't love it, nor hate it.
The thing with which this game contributed to the saga, though, is the combat. The new Free Form Fighting System is awesome. You can now carry two weapons, discard them, pick others up, or use only one and have the other hand free for strangle moves, grapples or throws. Using throws you can exploit the environment to kill the enemies, and there are a fairly big amount of moves you can perform. The game also introduces blood and decapitations, while in the first game enemies didn't have blood, being sand creatures (they are here too, but whatever... they just wanted gore). Overall, I really liked this game.

PoP: The Two Thrones is set right after Warrior Within. The Prince has calmed down a bit, and now he's a bit closer to his first incarnation. The story now revolves around... the same villain of the first game (yeah). The events occurred in WW changed the timeline so... sh!t happened. I won't spoil more.
The game keeps the platforming of the previous chapters and the combat of WW. Except this time no blood. Sand again. The rest is pretty much unchanged from the previous games, except some section where we get to control the Dark Prince, basically an alter ego of the Prince, a remain of the dark nature of the protagonist in WW.
Personally, I liked The Two Thrones, but not as much as The Sands of Time and Warrior Within. Still worth a try, imo.

-
Tekken 5

2114383-box_tekken5.png

Well, I can't tell much of this game nor judge it properly, cause honestly, I don't know sh!t of fighting games, I'm not praticularly into that genre xD
However, this game still managed to suck me in and keep me occupied for a long time. I think this is a fair indication of how good it is. Ahhh, those days... nostalgia, guys.

-
Call of Duty

Codbox.jpg

Yup, the first one. Man, you can't imagine how much time I spent on this game. The singleplayer, I replayed it A LOT of times, that's how much I liked it. Multiplayer, tons of fun. That's all I have to say about it.
This is another game I've got nostalgia for.

- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi

Dragon_Ball_Z_Budokai_Tenkaichi.jpg

Well, as a teenager I was a massive fan of Dragon Ball Z. This game couldn't not to be in my collection. Do I need to say more? xD

Stay tuned for my Top 5 games from the X360/PS3 era!

absolitude

I'm going to separate each generation into console and handheld, if that is alright with the OP.

Fifth Generation - Console:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
3. Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage.
4. Spyro The Dragon.
5. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped.

Fifth Generation - Handheld:
1. Pokémon: Red & Blue Versions.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons.
3. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages.
4. N/A
5. N/A

Sixth Generation - Console:
1. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.
2. Sly 2: Band of Thieves.
3. Crash TwinSanity.
4. Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening - Special Edition.
5. Jak 3.

Sixth Generation - Handheld:
1. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap.
2. Pokémon: Emerald Version.
3. Pokémon: FireRed & LeafGreen Versions.
4. Spyro 2: Season of Flame.
5. Spyro: Season of Ice.

Seventh Generation - Console:
1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
2. Devil May Cry 4.
3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.
4. Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus.
5. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time.

Seventh Generation - Handheld:
1. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom
Hourglass.
3. Pokémon: Platinum Version.
4. Pokémon: HeartGold & SoulSilver Versions.
5. Pokémon: Black & White Versions.

dude, you're a zelda man, i wish i could play more zelda games, darn exclusives.. how many gaming platforms have you had btw? you must be one happy dude, lol..

Well, I have always been mostly (not exclusively) a PC gamer, and in the PC world, the border between a generation and the next one is more faded than in the console world. Therefore, expect some PC title here. However, I will make this list too :)
You'll notice that I start with the PS1 era. That's cause I've never had a PS1 or an earlier console, so never played games from those eras of gaming. Also, it may be quite long, so I'll split this into 2 parts. PS2 era first, and then X360/PS3 era.

tried the witcher on friend's PC, the visuals and style aged alot.. but like DMC2, this is something i gotta visit.. and the first call of duty along with medal of honor was fun memories, single campaign or going LAN with buds, lots of silly moments and laugh there.. oh, good times..

it's always fun knowing differents tastes from people, thx for the replies guys

Poroner

I,Buki,Mio,Da
Here they are (not in a specific order and no description because I am too lazy)

PC for first gen since I never owned a ps1:

• Command and conquer
  • Age of Empires
  • Sacred gold
  • Half life 1
  • Deus Ex
(Some other games would probably be on this list but I don't recall them)

PS2 / PC:
  • Shinobido
  • Prince of persa games (Don't want them taking up 3 spots on this list)
  • Destroy all humans 2
  • Witcher
  • Dynasty Warriors 2 (as well as the rest of the franchise but that was the starting point for me)
PS3 / PC:
  • Witcher 2
  • Dragon age origins
  • Counter strike global offensive
  • Deus Ex human revolution
  • The last of us (I guess because I need to mention a game I actually played on the ps3)
All of the games that were available on pc I played on pc.
And 5 is a really small number for me since I play pretty much everything I can't really choose between so many games.
And these games are not in a particural order.

King-Sess

The Zelda Fanatic
dude, you're a zelda man, i wish i could play more zelda games, darn exclusives.. how many gaming platforms have you had btw? you must be one happy dude, lol.

Yeah, I've been a major Zelda fan since I played Ocarina of Time back when I was six. lol

I don't recall how many consoles I've had in my lifetime, as I've broken countless of them, but currently I have quite a few.

Game Boy Advance SP. x3 (one flame red and two pearl blue) - One pearl blue has a non-working screen.
Nintendo DS Lite. (crimson/black)
Nintendo GameCube. (purple) - Not sure if it works.
Nintendo 3DS. (flame red)
Nintendo 64. x2 (black)
PlayStation. (grey)
PlayStation Portable - PSP-1000 x2 (black) - One has no battery.
PlayStation 2 - original. (black)
PlayStation 2 - slimline. x2 (one black and one silver) - Silver one no longer reads disc.
PlayStation 3 - slimline. (charcoal black)
Wii. (white)

Sorry if this is off-topic.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Huh... Let's see.

5th Generation

PIC1.png
5th:
Heart of Darkness:
I like puzzles. I may not be good at them but I like them. This game was one of the first PS1 games we played and it made an impression on me and I really hope to get the chance to play it again.

Silent-Hill-PS1.capa.jpg
4th:
Silent Hill:

I don't know if I'll ever beat this game. Scares the crap out of me but I still load it up from time to time.

52519-Wild_Arms_(E)-8.jpg
3rd:
Wild Arms:
Haven't gotten around to beating this one but I really had a blast playing this. It's a reminder that the PS1 era was awesome. There is something that we lost when the machines got more powerful and it's kind of a shame.

Castlevania.jpg

2th:
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night:
I don't really need to go into detail here, do I?

624px-MMX4Promo.jpg
1st:
Megaman X4:
I was a huge MegaMan fan so this was one of the most awesome games in the PS1 library to me. I think I played this game more than any other in the PS1.

On a note.
I played a bunch of other PS1 games I liked but I never played those games enough to call them the best. I played FFVII and VIII and they were great, but I didn't get far enough to say they belong on my list. I'm sure there are better but none that I played.

Last edited:

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I swear i made a thread like this a year ago!

PsOne generation :-
> Resident Evil 3
> Tekken 3
> Megaman Legends 2
> Alundra
> Grim Fandango

PS2 Generation :-
>
God of war 2
> Hitman Blood Money
> Resident Evil 4
> GTA San Andreas
> NFS Most Wanted

Seriously its impossible for me to pin down only 5 games.. i love so many PS2 games >_<

Ps3 Generation :-

> Burnout Paradise
> Assassins Creed 1
> Batman Arkham Asylum
> Prototype
> GTA 4

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
PSX
Final Fantasy VIII Don't care if somebody hates it. It was my first FF and I still love it about all others. I beaten it up to 4-5 times and learnt everything there was about it, spent countless hours playing minigames and still not bored of it.

Silent Hill While many saying SH2 suppose to be THE best SH and where SH became real good, I still love SH1 more than it, since without it SH2 didn't even existed and it borrows lot of concepts from the first game, while first what made it fresh and awesome with terrific story and brilliant art direction.

Xenogears RPG with probably the best story I ever saw. Even though technically it was only half-made, that half was as good as most whole games today.

Legend of Mana I dunno why but I love this game. It's just has such awesome walkthrough system with 3 giant arcs spread across levels and many smaller arcs spread all around the game

Metal Gear Solid Probably my most favorite MGS with best villains cast and game that got me on the hype train for MGS franchise

PS2
Devil may cry well duh...pretty self-explantionary

Okami now THIS is immortal classic for me. Many can argue all they want how it suppose to be "zelda's clone", but after playing it first, I just can't enjoy any Zelda games to the full.

Persona 4 In the age where I rarely play JRPG, that became a shining gem that returned me on their train. One of the last games for Ps2, became one of the best for me. I love P3, but being huge detective story fan, it really stand out for me.

Guilty Gear XX Probably my favorite fighting of all time. I loved it's weird character cast, weird references, awesome track and well written story.

Devil May Cry 3
another pretty obvious game on the list :p

Ps3
Bayonetta
I love this game, being closest to DMC franchise as far as HnS goes. Starting with enemy design, gameplay, cheesy and awesome at the same time one-liners and awesome looking visuals. Another game i played for many, many hours.

Devil May Cry 4 Incomplete DMC? Well I still loved it, more than 90% of HnS. As far as gameplay goes it's best DMC for me out there, and if DMC5 ever sees day of light, I'm fine with it being upgraded version of DMC4

Dark Souls
Now this is game I can return over and over and over and over again and enjoy it. IT has most magnifying world for me and best boss design for a long, long time

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Another of my top 3 of HnS. Fast paced, flashy, responsive and challenging :D

Uncharted Trilogy

Being fan of pulp stories and Indiana Jones, it's really became my guilty pleasure franchise.

Ps4/VITA
Evil Within
It's pretty much RE I always dreamed of mixed with SH for a pure win. Mystery story and surrealistic places made it best Ps4 games I played so far.

Dragon Age Inquisition
Now at first I hated this game, but after it's grown on me I learn to love it and couldn't put it away for a long time.

Binding of Isaac Rebirth
Well to little game on Ps4? Who cares, since I sunk about 500 hours in this game alone >_<

Muramasa Rebirth (VITA)
I love Kamitami's drawn style, It's pretty, it's nice to play and it based on mythology. It's enough for me to put it high on my list.

Grim Fandango
Not released? So what. It's one of the best satire stories in games, and I know I love to play it again.

There is much, much more awesome games on all generations I loved, so i just put small
honorable mentions list:
Psx- Vagrant Story, FF VI-IX, Valkyrie Profile, Symphony of the night, Alone in the Dark: New Nightmare, Resident Evil 1-3
Ps2 - Onimusha 1-4, SH2-4, MGS 2-3, God Hand, Parasite Eve 1-2, Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven, RE4, Odin Sphere, Kingdom Hearts 1+2, FF XII
Ps3 - SH downpour, Max Payne 3, TLOU, Heavenly Sword, Folklore, Tekken TT2, Dragon's Crown, Batman Arkham Asylum, Mass effect trilogy, Dragon Age 1+2, Alice Madness Returns, Metro, Condemned 1-2, Demon's souls...
....and many more that i like.

berto

I Saw the Devil
6th Generation

awjeJaLDuEezvAhIjgUwZlddEygagBxceUYiQY-l_-0T9GXXx9QiphX0FvJU7SBgd3L9mUEVZfNA5C3Ds_OZd8DDee0=w426-h240-n
5th:
Beyond Good & Evil:
Another game that reminds me of a different generation. When games were different. Their narrative, their gameplay, their worlds and their characters. Games like this one will never be made again.

tVGG_6864.jpg
4th:
Ico:
Just like the Beyond Good and Evil, this is a game from a previous generation. Most people prefer Shadow of the Colossus but I fell in love with Ico first and it's that one that made an impression on me of what the team had to offer.

okami-51cb4c8b3b283-600x342.jpg
3rd:
Okami:
This is a game that when I was playing I didn't want to finish it because it meant that I wouldn't get to play anymore but just when I thought I was getting to the end it turned out that I wasn't even half way done. I have very fond memories of this game.

jogos-de-terror-131432-2.jpg
2nd:
Resident Evil 4:
Yeah, I know. Who didn't love this game, but let's face it, there is a reason for it.

0a1fc4464f36b8e255e271c71bee1dc9
1st:
Devil May Cry:
What a shocker, Right? Still, as I said about Ico and Beyond Good and Evil, it a game from a different time. For better or worse, there will never be another game like DMC1 and those of it's kind.

absolitude

And 5 is a really small number for me since I play pretty much everything I can't really choose between so many games.
And these games are not in a particural order.

i believe so too, we gonna have to be reaaaaally picky with them, and that way posts won't be too long.. your first gen truly are pc gaming, lol..

Game Boy Advance SP. x3 (one flame red and two pearl blue) - One pearl blue has a non-working screen.
Nintendo DS Lite. (crimson/black)
Nintendo GameCube. (purple) - Not sure if it works.
Nintendo 3DS. (flame red)
Nintendo 64. x2 (black)
PlayStation. (grey)
PlayStation Portable - PSP-1000 x2 (black) - One has no battery.
PlayStation 2 - original. (black)
PlayStation 2 - slimline. x2 (one black and one silver) - Silver one no longer reads disc.
PlayStation 3 - slimline. (charcoal black)
Wii. (white)

Sorry if this is off-topic.

mother of.. dude! and your current must be ps4

Silent-Hill-PS1.capa.jpg
4th:
Silent Hill:

I don't know if I'll ever beat this game. Scares the crap out of me but I still load it up from time to time.

Castlevania.jpg

2th:
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night:
I don't really need to go into detail here, do I?

On a note.
I played a bunch of other PS1 games I liked but I never played those games enough to call them the best. I played FFVII and VIII and they were great, but I didn't get far enough to say they belong on my list. I'm sure there are better but none that I played.

poroner was right, 5 was too small, SOTN and silent hill was one of the best of their gen.. i was eating all of the final fantasy series back at ps1.. before them, gaming was just fun, it got serious then..

I swear i made a thread like this a year ago!

Seriously its impossible for me to pin down only 5 games.. i love so many PS2 games >_<

yea, PS2 will always be my best of console and gaming years.. for my part, it was the vast amount of JRPGs

and lol, sorry i did not browse enough through forum man..

PSX
Final Fantasy VIII

Xenogears RPG with probably the best story I ever saw. Even though technically it was only half-made, that half was as good as most whole games today.

Persona 4 In the age where I rarely play JRPG, that became a shining gem that returned me on their train. One of the last games for Ps2, became one of the best for me. I love P3, but being huge detective story fan, it really stand out for me.

There is much, much more awesome games on all generations I loved, so i just put small
honorable mentions list:
Psx- Vagrant Story, FF VI-IX, Valkyrie Profile, Symphony of the night, Alone in the Dark: New Nightmare, Resident Evil 1-3
Ps2 - Onimusha 1-4, SH2-4, MGS 2-3, God Hand, Parasite Eve 1-2, Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven, RE4, Odin Sphere, Kingdom Hearts 1+2, FF XII
Ps3 - SH downpour, Max Payne 3, TLOU, Heavenly Sword, Folklore, Tekken TT2, Dragon's Crown, Batman Arkham Asylum, Mass effect trilogy, Dragon Age 1+2, Alice Madness Returns, Metro, Condemned 1-2, Demon's souls...
....and many more that i like.

so there were 4 of us in a room, 2 friends that are cousins of eachother, and me and the other guy.. these cousins are arguing about ff vii and ff viii, so hard they ended up almost, like almooost beating eachother, me and the other guy was just, oh fudge.. didn't want to seperate them, but oh well..

and our taste for games are almost similar, the rest that did not made your list most are also the ones i like..

6th Generation

awjeJaLDuEezvAhIjgUwZlddEygagBxceUYiQY-l_-0T9GXXx9QiphX0FvJU7SBgd3L9mUEVZfNA5C3Ds_OZd8DDee0=w426-h240-n
5th:
Beyond Good & Evil:
Another game that reminds me of a different generation. When games were different. Their narrative, their gameplay, their worlds and their characters. Games like this one will never be made again.

tVGG_6864.jpg
4th:
Ico:
Just like the Beyond Good and Evil, this is a game from a previous generation. Most people prefer Shadow of the Colossus but I fell in love with Ico first and it's that one that made an impression on me of what the team had to offer.

beyond good and evil are getting a remake right? how's the development? haven't heard bout it again.. and i read somewhere here that NT will probably do ico sequel, was that confirmed?

+
ths again for replies guys..

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
so there were 4 of us in a room, 2 friends that are cousins of eachother, and me and the other guy.. these cousins are arguing about ff vii and ff viii, so hard they ended up almost, like almooost beating eachother, me and the other guy was just, oh fudge.. didn't want to seperate them, but oh well..

and our taste for games are almost similar, the rest that did not made your list most are also the ones i like..

Yup :D I noticed we have lot common favorite games :) As for FFVIII...I have to say, I like most of FFs. starting from FFVI. So I rarely argue with somebody over FF, since even if it's not my favorite I still love them :)

King-Sess

The Zelda Fanatic
mother of.. dude! and your current must be ps4.

I don't even have a PS4 yet, I'm trying to get a Wii U first. xD #waybehind lol

There are more exclusives that I'm interested in on the Wii U than the PS4 atm, though I still plan on getting a PS4.

I'm also considering getting an Xbox One at some point, mostly because of the Master Chief Collection and Halo 5.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
As promised , the list continues.

Xbox360/PS3 era

- Fallout 3

1420280262320.jpg

This is one of the few games I played for a lot of hours, but never got tired of. Big map with interesting places and quests, nice humor, interesting story and universe, a great variety of armors and weapons, freedom to be what you want and do what you want. Just awesome.
I remember some people saying, when the game came out, that it's a sh!tty game cause they turned Fallout into another generic FPS. Fools.

-
Crysis

828.jpg

This game really sealed the transition between the previous gen and this one. Unparalleled graphics and big ass levels with beautiful scenaries. When I first played this I was jaw dropping, it's beautiful. Seeing screenshots, you could easily mistake them for real life shots. However, graphics are not the only strong point of this game, oh no.
You play as an Elite soldier equipped with a special nano-suit that gives you a range of powers you can use to your advantage. This, combined with the awesome level design, creates a unique feeling of freedom during missions. The game is not open world, but the levels are big enough to incourage you to try different tactics to pursue an objective. You can play Rambo style, activating the armor function of the suit (though it's way less efficient on the hardest difficulties) combined with the "super strength" to wipe an outpost out, or you can sneak past everyone using the invisibility power, or maybe using invisibility to kill a sniper from behind, steal his rifle and, thanks to super strength, jump up to a vantage point to snipe everybody, or, when detected, use the super speed to get away quickly for a while so that the guards loose your tracks and become less suspicious. Sooo many approach possibilities. The greatly programmed AI helps a lot in this sense too.
As for the multiplayer, the Power Struggle mode is awesome, I spent tons of hours into it, it is REALLY fun. Unfortunately though, since GameSpy was shut down, multiplayer is dead on PC. A shame.

-
Devil May Cry 4

header.jpg

If I could f*ck with this game, I would.

-
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

The-Witcher-2.jpg

CD Projekt RED does it again. After the big surprise in 2007 with their The Witcher, they come back in 2011 with the sequel. Amazing graphics, awesome story, awesome characters, awesome dialogues, awesome combat. The franchise's characteristic of treating heavy themes is mantained here (of course), although I gotta say, the dark and gritty atmosphere of the first game, I felt it was a bit lacking here. However, it's still an adult game and they improved a lot in the storytelling department. This time, the choices you make not only affect the characters and the plot, but also split the campaign into two separate paths, each one with its unique quests, characters, locations, enemies, and bosses! Goddamn! How many games do that? The game is a GREAT value for your money. Bravo, CD Projekt RED!

-
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

Enemy-Territory-Quake-Wars_wallpaper.jpg

A gem in the tactical FPS genre. This game takes place before the events of the main Quake saga, during the Strogg invasion of Earth. Now, this game doesn't feature a story at all, and that premise is just there to explain why the game is set on Earth. Period.
But it doesn't matter, cause the game doesn't want to focus on storytelling, but rather, its purpose is to offer a deep team based multiplayer experience, and yes it delivers.
You can choose to play as human or Strogg, selecting one of the classes available for each faction. Every class has its importance, and its fundamental to have a balanced team to win the matches, which are objective based.
I won't go deeper describing the mechanics, cause they are so deep I would write a poem, but trust me, this game is where the team actually matters, and in my opinion, no other game has managed to match this level of depth, when it comes to team play. A shame that multiplayer is pretty much dead now, there are just some passionate players online. On PC at least.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
CAUTION: INCOMING FANBOY GUSHING

Ah, I’ve finally been asked the golden question: “what are you favorite games of the past generations?” Well, to make this an accurate list, I can’t limit each list to just five games…so, in a shameless attempt to flaunt my favorite games, I’ve assigned a number of games with the corresponding number of the respective generation (i.e., 5 games for the fifth gen, 6 games for the sixth gen, and 7 for the recently-deceased seventh gen). Mind you, I absolutely adore and cherish a lot of the games that are not on this list, but the following ones you’ll see are games that I absolutely cannot part with, and cling to with obsessive talons to preserve in my gaming collection.

Now, only read this if you’ve written a sizeable will, and are ready to clean your dentures and check into your arthritis appointment afterwards, because I can’t guarantee you’ll be the same age once you’ve finally reached the end of this post’s absurd length.

5th Generation

Bulk%20Slash%20(J)%20Front.jpg

5. Bulk Slash (Sega Saturn)

This game is one of the best unsung gems of the woefully-overlooked Sega Saturn. For all of its 3D failures like Sonic R, the system had some really awesome 2-D games…and this is one of them. One of the biggest things that draw me to this game is how much like a Star Fox game this is. Your fellow pilots buzz in repeatedly through comm. transmissions, and you have specific targets and objectives to destroy in each stage. But the biggest similarity can be found in its ship transformation mechanic. Remember how your Arwing could transform into a mech in Star Fox 2? You can do that in this game. The game is kind of rare, and was never released outside of Japan…but if there’s any worthy import to be found on this list, it’s this one.

Suikoden2-Group01.jpg

4. Suikoden II (PlayStation One)

In a lot of ways, this game is the closet we ever got to a Berserk: Golden Age Arc-themed RPG, and I honestly can’t say what I love about this particular title without spoiling everything in the story. You really have to experience the game for yourself to immerse yourself in the dynamic tension, camaraderie, and medieval-political drama that makes up the plot. Now, a while back, I would’ve never recommended this game because, well…this game is rare and outlandishly expensive. Seriously, this game was only released for the PSOne (unless you live in Korea, in which it was ported to the PC), and you’d only be able to get ahold of it by auctioning off your Neo Geo and donating a spare organ. However, by a sweet stroke of fate, the game has FINALLY been released to PSN, so it’s a lot easier to pick up. Do I recommend the game? Let me answer that question with another question: Do you know of any other RPG’s where you can recruit over 108 characters?

7553_front.jpg

3. Star Fox 64 (Nintendo 64)

Well, we all knew this was coming...although I can’t really elaborate on this game in ways that haven’t been done by other people. The game is considered a classic, even the best Star Fox game by some people…but I don’t. I think it’s a fun game, and it was the reason I bought my first N64, but I don’t think it’s THE best. I’m also in the tiny fraction of the Star Fox fanbase that don’t think the voice acting and dialogue have aged particularily well. Regardless, it’s probably the slickest balance between arcade dogfighting and brutal shmup difficulty that you’ll find. And although I find it somewhat inferior to both past and future Star Fox games, I still love it to this day.

castle.jpg

2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PlayStationOne)

Many people remember this game as the entry that ushered in a new era for Castlevania, and I’d be compelled to agree—but in my experience, for all the good things this game brought about, this game also brought about a new generation of repetition. Outside of a few brave ventures on the PS2, almost every single Castlevania game after this fell victim to the REAL curse of the series: every single game playing like Symphony of the Night. And in the midst of over-hyepd nostalgia and ridiculous anticipation, every Metroidvania-type game had the horrendous burden of living up to the magic and wonder of SotN—kind of like when EVERY James Bond game after GoldenEye was neglected and left to rot, because it wasn’t everyone’s favorite clunky, blocky first-person, hilariously-overrated multiplayer N64 game. Ironically enough, the only game to tower above all the games spawned by this lustful Metroidvania craze was the very same game that started it. No other game has managed to match the immense scale, weapon variety, replay-value, and game length of Symphony of the Night, even after almost twenty years. The graphics are superb, the music is a legendary monolith even amongst the PSOne’s library of awesome VGM’s, and it’s the one Castlevania game that I’ve actually only beaten once due to its immense length. I just hope that Konami releases an HD remake or something to shut people up, and the series can continue to go to new places…like it did recently, but we’ll get to that later…

1. Super Mario 64…
MarioExpert01.png

Super-Mario-64-DS-Widescreen-Wallpaper.jpg

…on the DS

Yes, Captain Obvious, I know…this is technically not a 5th-Gen game since it’s on the DS. You’re very perceptive…but here’s the thing: the DS Remake retains the mechanics of the original game. The platforming, the jump physics, things like the level arrangement and obstacles are unchanged from the original N64 game. So by definition, it’s a 7th-gen game with 5th-gen mechanics…so it’s virtually the same game, minus some graphical tweaks, and the addition of new characters. I can still recall playing this on my friend’s N64, and then abducting my sister’s Pink DS Lite and remaining hunched over this game for every hour of one entire summer. The game was and is my favorite Mario game, which is ironic considering I almost never play as Mario whenever I go back to play it. And why would I? It’s Wario who can turn into metal and wreck everything in one hit.

6th Gen

return-to-castle-wolfenstein-2.jpg

6. Return to Castle Wolfenstein: (PC)

There’s a lot of praise and bowed heads for the “untold majesty” of Doom, Quake, and the original Wolfenstein. And each time I hear all the gushing acclaim for all three, and how they “revolutionized shooters as we know it”, I think to myself: “Yeah, that’s nice and all…but they’re no Return to Castle Wolfenstein.” In terms of old-school shooters devoid of modern traits like sight-aiming and quick-scoping, this game wins. The shooting is meaty and empowering, the weapons get bigger and more ridiculous with each level, and there are even levels that require actual stealth. Oh, yeah…and then there’s that RotcW multiplayer that’s still actively modded and supported to this day.

toontown_09_1024x768.jpg

5.ToonTown Online

None of you judge me: this was an awesome game and you know it. Why have a Buster Sword, or an Elemental Summon when you can obliterate all before you with a water hose and a birthday cake? And Disney can bathe in pirhanna-infested waters for shutting this down.

68602acb.jpg

4. Soulcalibur II (GameCube)

A little-known fact about myself that actually might surprise some of you: I actually don’t play a lot of fighting games. You’d think that someone who enjoys racking up combos and juggling enemies in Devil May Cry would love fighting games, but the truth is…I only play Soulcalibur, and I’m probably not even that good. I just play it for the visceral satisfaction of the single player. This game really is a blessing for those of us who flee at the sight of competitive multiplayer, and salvage the single-player experience. There’s SO MUCH to do in this game: Arcade Mode, Survival Mode, three tiers of hope-crushing Time Attack Mode, a full-blown RPG item harvest called Weapon Master Mode…and Extra versions of all the prior-mentioned modes where you can USE the weapons you find. Not only that, but this is by far one of the GameCube’s most gorgeous titles. On a widescreen TV with component video, this game still blows most modern games out of the water with the sheer amount of detail and designs. Every character looks and embodies the culture they hail from (in contrast to Modern Soulcalibur games that embrace more flamboyant and anime-esque designs), and is only rivaled by its immediate successor. My uncontested favorite fighting game, and one of my favorite GameCube games ever.

Link-looking-hot-the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-25046406-1400-1000.jpg

4. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GameCube)

This game has kind of a lukewarm reputation in the Zelda community, and every complaint leveled against it is completely valid. Yes, it borrows a lot of ideas from Ocarina of Time. Yes, not all the Wolf parts were that great. And yes, this game has quite possibly the most padded opening of ANY game in the series. But all these flaws are like, well…like the flat chest of Keira Knightly, or the overtly rich frosting hiding a splendorous cake, or the ****ty acting in your favorite Arnold Schwarzenegger explosion-filled testosterone-fest: it doesn’t stop the item in question from being a thing of bliss. And I absolutely love this game: the horse combat, the massive landscape, the dark and demented art style, the conflict between the Light Spirits and the Twilight, and literally everything said or done by quite possibly the best companion in any Zelda game: Midna. And then, there’s just those purely epic moments in the game, from little things like the way Link slings his sword back into his sheath after a successful attack, to those terminally-badass boss fights. It’s a black sheep of the series for sure, but it’s one that I have an uncontested love for, and was overjoyed to see how much tribute it got in the Easter Egg party that was Hyrule Warriors.

kotor2_wallpaper_1600x1200.jpg

2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (PC)

Believe it or not, I actually prefer this game to the original KOTOR. Heresy, I know—but as much as I love the first game, there were areas I found it kind of lacking. That, and I had the massive plot twist SPOILED for me by a friend (something he’d live to regret on the day I beat BioShock Infinite before him). Now, I’ll go on record and admit that this is by no means a finished game. A lot of locales are rehashed from the first game, the plot unravels at a viscous pace and is paid off with a quasi-ending…there was even an entire planet and quest removed from the game. However, even with all these omissions remedied by fan restoration mods, I still love this game for a lot of reasons. For one thing, the sense of empowerment as a Sith was much stronger in this game, and the classes you can adopt later in the game are nothing short of awesome. The combat has more options, the crafting system is more robust, and when the story finally unravels past the unbearable Peragus and Telos quests, it actually has you partake in some really epic quest lines. From either conquering or liberating a Republic Capital City, to earning the trust of a lost Mandalorian Clan, to being targeted as a prized bounty by a conclave of competing bounty hunters in the film-noirish cityscape of Nar Shadaa, the game makes you feel like the center-piece of an epic plot. Not to mention that the plot-twist for this game, I’m not going to lie, is something I never ****ing saw coming. Out of all the RPG’s and JRPG’s I’ve played over the years, Skyrim very much included, I still find myself coming back to this one the most.

maxresdefault.jpg

1. Star Fox Assault (GameCube)

Quite possibly the most underrated and viciously over-hated game on this list. ****ing really? “Fox McCloud belongs in the Arwing?” Did every pretentious ****wit on IGN and Gamespot’s editorial board suddenly forget that Fox McCloud is a MERCENARY? He’s a jack-of-all trades, suited for any kind of combat for any mission he’s hired to perform—why else would he know how to fight a Starfighter, a tank, and a submarine? He’s not exclusively a PILOT, you DROOLING, IMBECLIC DOLTS. Anyway—you’re looking at quite possibly the last great revival of the Star Fox series. After the lukewarm reception of a perfectly-fine game that should’ve remained Dinosaur Planet, this game was released to the up-turned noses of every gamer who blasted the previous game for NOT being a carbon-copy remake of Star Fox 64—which was ironic, considering the abysmal sales of the 3DS remake when it finally gave the shrieking man-children what they finally wanted. But I played the game and saw it for what it was—an honest little 3rd-person shooter with an emphasis on vehicle-swapping and combo racking—kind of like a Lylatian take on Earth Defense Force. The game ditches the goals of cover-based shooting, and instead relies on sprinting through enemy swarms, and blasting through them Contra-style with various weapons and power-ups. The emphasis on building up your score, and frantically racking up points almost makes the game seem like—GASP, an arcade shooting game? You know, the genre this series was ****ing BUILT upon? But the gameplay is coupled with a lot of nice additions that truly make it stand out amongst other Star Fox games. The game has a much more thematic, sweeping and cinematic feel—feeling less like a Saturday-morning TV serial like its predecessors, and adopting the tone of a big-budget sci-fi space opera like StarChaser or Guardians of the Galaxy. The ship designs, architecture of levels, and character models are absolutely superb, and the voice acting is a vast improvement over both Adventures and 64, with the personalities and emotions of each character matching the emotion and quality of their Japanese counterparts. And speaking of which, every character was given their best roles in this game: Fox finally emerging from his Mark Hamhill syndrome and becoming the Leader he was always supposed to be, Slippy finally ceasing to be an annoyance and actually being kind of funny, (Falco being less of an ungrateful dick), Krystal being a helpful asset instead of a damsel in distress, and the persona of the Star Wolf Team’s very own Wolf O’Donnell exchanged for a more anti-heroic tone (a change of which, you can tell, I was immensely infatuated with). Among the game’s best qualities is the godly soundtrack provided by the New Tokyo City Orchestra, who with thunderous drums and sweeping woodwinds turned catchy 64 tunes into epic symphonic themes that still give me chills to this day. By the end of the day, the game is a solid action title and a grossly-overlooked gem in the Star Fox series. I played it to death at launch and a thousand times over since, earning each medal, flag, high score, weapon stage, and unlockable the game had tucked away. It’s by and large my FAVORITE in the series, and if you haven’t played it—buy it, steal it, download it or ransack Nintendo’s Headquarters for it. If you have even a slight interest in the Star Fox series, you OWE it to yourself to play this game.

7th Gen

22d704ed244c91ed550de1c074ac5ac7-d51smf9.jpg

7. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PS3)

I remember reading about this game in one of those 2007 issues of Game Informer, and almost ****ting my pants. Keep in mind: this was a younger and more noobish version of myself, back when I thought Bleach was the second coming of anime Christ, and my favorite movie was Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. And when I saw this game, I almost puked in excitement. The gameplay, the graphics—this was the first instance of a game that, to me, embodied the phrase ‘next-gen.’ Looking back, I think my expectations and my perceptions of how good the game actually was were a little overblown. But that said, I still think this game is a cool novelty. I really dug the story, and how it wedged between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, and the sheer size and scope of everything in the game blew me away. Snatching Tie Fighters out of space in the gigantic, echoey bowels of a starship factory, destroying a Bull Rancor force powers alone, and diving into the half-constructed depths of the unfinished Death Star were all awesome to behold, even when I go back to play it. It’s not an amazing game, but it’s more of a guilty pleasure…and hey, it’s what got me into this generation.

d6e80230d3e93b8e407a44e8b5901ea8b2156f77.jpg

6. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)

Alright, Jensen. Your target lies ahead and you have a set options to take him down: you can turn invisible and sneak up on him, before either spinning his skull off his neck, or slamming your hidden elbow blades into his eye-sockets. You can crawl through the air ducts and slide down to the wall behind him, and smash through the concrete to grab him. You can hack the nearby turrets to rip him to shreds, or you jump off a high-place and use the glowing Icarus jet that materializes around your robotic feet when you land on him, cushioning your fall. If you don’t feel like killing him, try to interrogate him instead. Use your cerebral scanner to check his pulse, heartbeat, and eye dilation. Analyze his speech patterns and emotional vulnerabilities to determine what personality he has, and how it can be used to convince him to lower his weapon or tell you where the hostages are.

…or you can just shoot him. But, **** that.

setu002.jpg

5. Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS3)

Alright, in all honesty, this is a recent addition. I’ve sunk so many hours into this game, and I honestly have no idea why: the story and characters are stale, lackluster, and practically non-exsistent. The English voice-acting is hilariously bad and achingly-exaggerated. The NPC’s offer nothing to the game, the quests are time-consuming and obviously artificial attempts lengthen the game, with no real purpose, and outside of looking pretty, there’s not much to the open world other than the same respawning enemies. But within minutes of encountering the next Chimera, Griffin, Hydra or Ogre in my path, I forget all of these things. I’m too caught up in the heat and excitement of launching machine-gun-like volleys of arrows at my enemy, before sprinting up and leaping on to him, and stabbing him repeatedly with my bastard sword…all while my pawns yell completely obvious advice like: “Ice is vulnerable to fire” and “Strength in numbers, Arisen!” Couple that with DMC-style combat and a bitching soundtrack, and you have my favorite Souls-type game of this generation. Now let’s just pray this mysterious Dragon’s Dogma Online trademark isn’t what we all fear it to be…

sjmv856.png

4. DmC: Devil May Cry/Devil May Cry 4 (PC)

I know, right? The two most polarizing entries in the Devil May Cry series, both of which I place on equal footing for my favorite action game of this generation…what a bizarre blend THAT is, especially given how Western one is, and how Japanese the other is. I’ve already gone in great detail about what I like about each, and I’m grinding my teeth in horrible disdain that I won’t be able to afford a PS4 by the time both get their respective remastered editions.

Call_of_Juarez__Bound_in_Blood_by_Cali9fiftyone.jpg

3. Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood (PC)

If you grew up watching gritty, testosterone-imbued spaghetti westerns ripe with tobacco and blatant stereotypes like Fistful of Dollars, Once Upon a Time in the West and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, chances are, you wanted to simulate the experience through gaming. You wanted to feel like a cigar-smoking, duster-bedecked , squinting badass that blasted his enemies’ guts against the wall with his Colt or double-barreled shotgun of choice. You wanted to immerse yourself in the exaggerated, pulp environment of these movies. Now, many herald Red Dead Redemption as the definitive Western experience, but I personally feel that the game exchanges much of its potential in an attempt to achieve realism. The game takes itself way, way too seriously, constantly bombarding the player with heavy-handed cutscenes and conversations about morality, changes in the West, and the oppression of minorities like the Mexicans or Native Americans—because the one thing you want most out of your Clint Eastwood movie is for the action and atmosphere to come to a dead stop, and spend five minutes preaching to you. Instead, Bound in Blood goes out of its way to capture the essence of old-school spaghetti westerns, while preserving a solid gameplay experience. The story is wrought with all the classic Western archetypes and stereotypes: the Civil War, Southern Plantations, the Sheriff’s daughter, the Indian Chief’s son, brotherly feuds, drunken pistol duels, Aztec gold, and Mexican bandits whose vocabulary consists mainly of the word “gringo.” The story itself adopts a serious tone occasionally, but most the narrative is tongue-and-cheek, riddled with some funny dialogue and some hilariously dark humor. You can play as either of the two main characters, both of which have a very distinct play-style. The first character, Ray, dual-wields all the in-game weapons, can toss dynamite and wield a gatling gun, and can take more damage thanks to his Conquistador cuirass. He can’t aim down the sights when dual-wielding, and he has to reload more due to his expanded arsenal, but is great for up close and personal encounters. The other playable character, Thomas, is nimbler, faster, has better aim, and can access high areas that Ray can’t reach with his lasso and climbing skills. He can also sneak up on enemies using the silent bow and throwing knives, offering some stealth in the heat of Western gunfights. However, he is EXTREMELY susceptible to damage, and can die in one or two hits. Both play-styles offer an excellent challenge, and the multiple approaches to countering enemies harkens back to old-school shooters like Blood, Doom, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. It’s a solid game to the average bystander, but a bullet-filled ecstasy of goodness to the true Western fan. It was the first game I ever bought on Steam, and I’ve sunk over 200 hours into it.

FireEmblem_wallpaper_Dusk_1280x1024.jpg

2. Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)

Truth be told, this was actually my first Fire Emblem. I had never found a copy of the first GBA game when I was young, and I didn’t have Bruce Wayne’s fortune on hand to buy a copy of Path of Radiance. But when the time came to buy my first 3DS, I just picked it up because I liked the artwork on the box, and I was curious why Marth looked so young on the cover. And it just so happened, that I was leaving with my family on a trip to Washington D.C. the next morning. The entire week we were there, my parents were irking me to “look at the White House”, or “take this picture with this monument”, all while I was shouting: “QUIET! Tharja and my character are in the midst of a support conversation! If I screw this up, they’ll NEVER get married!” I spent that entire trip, and over 70 in-game hours (according my save file) playing this game. And I regret absolutely nothing.

castlevania-lords-of-shadow-ipad-4-wallpaper.jpg
1. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

“THE GAME IS A PRETENTIOUS GOD OF WAR CLONE!” “THIS GAME ISN’T ANOTHER ONE OF THE SEVEN CARBON COPIES OF SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT!” “HOW DARE THEY STRAY AWAY FROM THE ORIGINAL CASTLEVANIA STYLE!”

Let me cut down all these misinformed, self-assured presumptions that I constantly hear about this game:

a) God of War stole nearly ALL of its in-game elements from Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, so I don’t want to hear ****ing PEEP about originality in this scenario. You can’t rip off a rip-off anymore than you can kill a corpse.

b) As I’ve stated before, we’ve had plenty of games that play in the EXACT SAME STYLE as Symphony of the Night—none of which sold particularly well—and not a single one of them have matched SoTN in length, scope, charm, or nostalgia. Making more would be a fruitless endeavor that would only waste even more of Igarashi’s talent and effort.

c) Symphony of the Night is NOT the original style. The original style involves a Belmont diving head-first into enemy territory, slaughtering monsters with a whip and various sub-weapons, traversing obstacles with tricky platforming, and engaging in a straight, linear, and level-based structure. Which is extremely ironic, considering Lords of Shadow, for all the vicious backlashing against the game for ‘being different’, is actually a lot closer to Classic Castlevania than Symphony of the Night or any of its sequels.

But now that I’m done discussing the problems of yet another fanbase blasting a game for being different (which has almost become my staple job in life, now, given how many of those fanbases I’m apart of)…what do I think of the game?

Simply put, it was the closet I ever got to an immersive, and overtly-cinematic experience in this console generation.

For every Heavy Rain, The Last of Us, and Metal Gear Solid that claimed to be the definitive experience for a ‘cinematic game’, this lowly reimagining of the Castlevania franchise did everything those games did abysmally WRONG. It provided a substantial, rich, weaving narrative at the centerpiece of an intriguing lore, without compromising the gameplay or the player’s immersion in the game. Unlike Heavy Rain, the characters aren’t one-note dolts that make face-palm-inducing decisions that only a slack-jawed moron would sympathize with. Unlike The Last of Us, its story actually boasts some originality, without being a word-for-word reproduction of one of its many ‘influences’, peppered with needless shock value and plot twists you can see from a mile away. And unlike the astronomically-overrated Metal Gear Solid series (whose place on my hate radar is wedged somewhere between the third Devil May Cry and the fourth Indiana Jones), the story doesn’t just dump paragraphs of exposition on the lifeless protagonist’s lap, and have him accept this newfound information with all the expression of a rock. When Gabriel is constantly being fed new knowledge about the Brotherhood of Light, the Lords of Shadow, and the conspiracy linking the two, he finds himself questioning everything he’s been led to believe. Over the course of the game, he becomes cold and disdainful towards the Brotherhood and God he had always trusted, demanding why “humanity should suffer because of their mistakes.” His journey from a self-assured hero to a confused, morally-conflicted servant of darkness is ten times more engaging, enthralling, and emotionally-touching than the baffling ending to Metal Gear Solid 3, even with its five different plot twist. And that’s really what completely baffles me to this day: the fact that not only did Hideo Kojima work on Lords of Shadow, he lent considerable participation to the game’s story and core gameplay. In that case, may I politely inquire as to why on Earth doesn’t he apply the same kind of approach to his own series? It’s almost hilarious, given how well-executed Lords of Shadow is with such a simplistic premise, and how mortifyingly-horrible Metal Gear manages to be due to how needlessly over-complicated Kojima makes it. It’s like watching a chef prepare the tastiest peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich in the world, and then stumbling head-over-heels to sloppily prepare a flamboyant and complex filet mignon. But Lords of Shadow takes advantage of its simple plot and uncomplicated characters…and uses this to deliver some truly gratifying twists on the direction of the story. The gameplay is a healthy balance between combat, exploration, puzzle-solving and platforming. The combat is even sometimes woven into the cinematics, a technique that would be adopted by a certain hack-and-slash reboot years later, one that I also enjoy. And admittedly, the combat itself is fairly simplistic, and boils down to just gratifying the player with barbaric finishers and sweeping area moves. It’s not Ninja Gaiden, but it controls well, and works fine. The real star of the game is the sheer production value of this game. Even in 2014, this game still looks absolutely astounding—from both a technical and artistic perspective. Lush forests, rain-drenched villages, and fog-laiden swamps all play as the appetizers to the more bewildering levels, like the labyrinthine halls of Carmilla’s castle, or the haunting bowels of the Music Box. The real beauty isn’t in the realism or the polygon count, but in the design of the character models, monsters, and enormous back-drops. I remember watching Gabriel reduced to a speck when crossing the bridge towards the Castle, and feeling my jaw collide with the ground at how massive the world looked—like if Shadow of Colossus had immense detail to fill in every cavernous space of the immense size it’s often credited for. The monsters and bosses in particular are grotesque and skin-crawling, with their designs resonating a strong influence from Guillermo Del Toro’s dark fantasy, Pan’s Labrynth. In fact, what I love about the whole game—something that quite a few people hate, actually—is that the game looks more like a Dark Fantasy than a Gothic Horror flick. Off-putting to some, maybe, but certainly not enough to keep me from adoring it…and eventually picking up the gorgeous artbook that lent its designs to the project. The voice-acting and motion-capture for the game’s characters are just awesome. Not a single actor sounds like they’re just phoning in a half-hearted or lazy performance: from the emotionally-stricken and suspicious Robert Carlyle, the menacing quiver of Sally Knyvette, the doddering cackle of Eve Karpf, and of course…the cryptic baritone of one Sir Patrick Stewart. Every character sounds extremely convincing, and authentic with the accent attached to each voice. I can’t tell you how fun it is just to watch dialogue exchanges between characters in cutscenes—constantly having to remind myself that this isn’t a conversation between two real people, but two actors in a booth somewhere in Mercury Steam’s headquarters. And the music...Odin’s flowing Norse beard, the godly ****ing music. You know, when I heard there were people actually COMPLAINING about the game’s score, and why, I was almost flabbergasted and ashamed to consider myself part of the Castlevania fanbase. You people are going to sit there and tell me that songs like this and this aren’t good enough, because you want another remix of horrendously-overrated and even more so overused tracks like Vampire Killer or Bloody Tears? It’s songs in the Lords of Shadow soundtrack that remind me of more neglected songs from Castlevania history, melancholy and chilling melodies that resonate from the Gothic tone and influences that the series was founded upon.

Now with all of this gushing, I’m not going to sit here and tell you that the game is anywhere near perfect. As I’ve stated, The combat is really, really simplified…perhaps too much so for its own good. But if you can stomach the stealth and the weaker story, the sequel has a VERY robust combat system to remedy that hindrance for hack-and-slash aficionados like myself. The levels can get overly-linear sometimes…but by far the worst fault the game actually has is some of the obnoxious, irritating, disgustingly-tedious puzzles that it throws at you later in the game. You all know the ones I mean, so you’ve probably shared my agony and rasped voice from screaming in frustration at the game. There’s even a puzzle later in the Castle that almost made me stop playing the game…something I’m happy didn’t deter me from completing the experience.

By the end of the day, though, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is just an awesome experience to behold. It resonated with me more than almost any game I played this generation, probably because it provided the perfect storm of meaty gameplay, gorgeous visuals, a Dark Fantasy setting and a well-acted, emotionally-tugging story. If I have one lamentation about the game, it’s that my love for it set some extremely high standards for the sequels to live up to. Oh, they’re fun games in their own right, and far more playable and acceptable than the legions of bespectacled hipster trash that make up the Internet’s professional reviewers will have you believe…but they never reached the heights of the first game. But whatever the case may be, I still have and always will have the first Lords of Shadow, the best entry in the series and some worthy sequels that remedy some of its existing problems. I actually try to avoid playing it on a regular basis, because…well, investing myself in the game’s world and story makes me subconsciously sit in front of my TV for an untold plethora hours. If I played Lords of Shadow regularly, I’d probably lose a good chunk of my daily life to it. And believe me, I weep for Gabe as much as the next person, but I have a college to attend, a foreign language to learn, other games to play, a novel to write…

…oh, yeah, and Berserk. You know, because it’s being updated CONSTANTLY, you know? Ha ha…SIGH…

berto

I Saw the Devil
7th Generation

FF13-650x350.jpg
5th:
Final Fantasy XIII:
Yeah. Nobody liked this one. Understandably so, too. It's a very heavily flawed game But underneath all the flaws is a fantastic experience. I know it was a lot to ask to sit through a 20 hour tutorial but I thought it was worth it.

child-of-eden-e3-reveal-530px.jpg
4th:
Child of Eden:
Totally underrated. It's a game that almost no one played. I tried it with the motion controls and with the controller, and it's a fun title, with or without. the 3D is also pretty fantastic. It's a game best played with high capacity headphones.

persona-4-golden-580x331.jpg
3rd:
Persona 4: The Golden:
Legally an 8th Generation title, or 6th, but I played this the most during this generation and I always associate it with this period. It's just P4 but more of it, and that's is fantastic.

2525231-box_puppeteer.png
2nd:
Puppeteer:
Not a famous game, either, but I also got a huge kick out of this. It was creative, solid, and a whole lot of fun. Another 3D game where the 3D really adds to the experience.

02173630560733.jpg
1st:
Bayonetta:
It was either this or Vanquish. The two action games I played from P* in that generation were just bad ass. No way around it.

It a bit unfair that I'd have to pick 5 with so many other great games this generation, or even the previous ones, that you have to pick. We do have a recommendations thread and it's full of good stuff, but if we have to, then it's fine. Unfair, none the less.

Top Bottom