• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Y'know what? I can't accept this.

berto

I Saw the Devil
So Shakespeare is a dumbass?:laugh:

Wasn't Agnus taking part of it in fact he was the one who started it and Dante started to play along.
The only Shakespeare there was the skull, aside from that there is nothing really thespian about it. Besides, it's not Shakespeare he's talking about, it's Dante.

I also don't like the scene, it's silly to the point of parodic. Even in Dante's most goofy it never crosses that boundary to slapstick comedy but this comes pretty close to it. There has always been a serious undertone in DMC and even when Dante acts silly or nonchalant he never forgets what's at stake, here it seems he doesn't give a crap and this scene almost personifies everything I find mediocre about Dante's portrayal in 4. The only time I see him been serious is when Creedo dies, which if he didn't it would've been in very poor taste.

I also hold to the notion that returning to a more serious tone isn't even hard to do but after 4 people seem to think the series has to follow in it's wake if it goes forward at all. The next DMC doesn't have to be like 4, not sure why everyone is so convinced that it does.

EnJ

Shade
To you. To me it just shows how much of a dumbass he's become through out the series.

Because Dante didn't act serious?
Wellp, he does not consider Agnus as serious opponent, so he just taunts him in Shakespeare-like way to show that semi-demon semi-bug how ridiculous he looks with his "philosophy" about humans and demons. Some type of irony.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
The only Shakespeare there was the skull, aside from that there is nothing really thespian about it. Besides, it's not Shakespeare he's talking about, it's Dante.

I also don't like the scene, it's silly to the point of parodic. Even in Dante's most goofy it never crosses that boundary to slapstick comedy but this comes pretty close to it. There has always been a serious undertone in DMC and even when Dante acts silly or nonchalant he never forgets what's at stake, here it seems he doesn't give a crap and this scene almost personifies everything I find mediocre about Dante's portrayal in 4. The only time I see him been serious is when Creedo dies, which if he didn't it would've been in very poor taste.

I also hold to the notion that returning to a more serious tone isn't even hard to do but after 4 people seem to think the series has to follow in it's wake if it goes forward at all. The next DMC doesn't have to be like 4, not sure why everyone is so convinced that it does.

Doesn't slapstick involve rather overly exaggerated physical activity or usage of over top actions such as whoopee cushions or exaggerated physical violence basically Tom & Jerry. All Dante did during that scene that was exaggerated was him moving around church quite quickly (which makes sense in the series that Dante can move at blinding speed) with light on him like in a play (the light would shine on who was speaking).

The whole aspect of thespian is the usage or drama or dramatic action with the use of acting or actors. Ergo over dramatization of a scene to differentiate it from being fake versus reality or over exaggerating of their tone for people in play puts a lot of emphasis on their tone to project their voice to the audience (a play which Dante and Agnus, mostly Dante, did although their encounter with their was real rather than fake).

Like you said that moment was mostly a parody or using parodic elements to put emphasis on a moment in the story. Without the theater styled acting and old English way of talking, the scene between Dante and Agnus was a regular encounter with a good guy (Dante) and bad guy (Agnus) in which the bad guy addresses their reasoning behind their plans and agenda and the good guy questions (and in Dante's case, mocks) it and them (he refers to Agnus "as a being as grand delusion as YOU" meaning he thinks Agnus and the Order as well as their leaders are nutjobs). A regular and common, almost cliche, pre-boss/villain fight banter that the guys behind the cutscenes for DMC4 thought needed an extra flair.

The next DMC will be what the team (or the next team) behind it chooses for it to be. What you, I, or whoever says and wants or won't affect the team's direction.......much.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Doesn't slapstick involve rather overly exaggerated physical activity or usage of over top actions such as whoopee cushions or exaggerated physical violence basically Tom & Jerry. All Dante did during that scene that was exaggerated was him moving around church quite quickly (which makes sense in the series that Dante can move at blinding speed) with light on him like in a play (the light would shine on who was speaking).
Silly string, fireworks, confetti, facing the audience and an interaction that was unrealistic even in the context of the story and it was at odds with the rest of the game's narrative. It was out of nowhere and by no means was it a serious scene that ether progressed the plot or characters. It was silly and goofy, like I said, if not one then damn near a parody.

The whole aspect of thespian is the usage or drama or dramatic action with the use of acting or actors. Ergo over dramatization of a scene to differentiate it from being fake versus reality or over exaggerating of their tone for people in play puts a lot of emphasis on their tone to project their voice to the audience.
Fair enough.

Like you said that moment was mostly a parody or using parodic elements to put emphasis on a moment in the story. Without the theater styled acting and old English way of talking, the scene between Dante and Agnus was a regular encounter with a good guy (Dante) and bad guy (Agnus) in which the bad guy addresses their reasoning behind their plans and agenda and the good guy questions (and in Dante's case, mocks) it and them (he refers to Agnus "as a being as grand delusion as YOU" meaning he thinks Agnus and the Order as well as their leaders are nutjobs). A regular and common, almost cliche, pre-boss/villain fight banter that the guys behind the cutscenes for DMC4 thought needed an extra flair.
And you think that what we got was a stroke of genius, then, because I disagree. Again, the 'it could've been worse' argument doesn't make the subject in question any more appealing than adding an ugly chic to make the other one look good by contrast.

The next DMC will be what the team (or the next team) behind it chooses for it to be. What you, I, or whoever says and wants or won't affect the team's direction.......much.
To an extent that both a good and a bad thing. You will never please everyone so it not healthy for the game to try, look at RE6. At the same time without feedback you can't figure out what the right direction for the game is when you make stupid choices and you aren't called on them.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Silly string, fireworks, confetti, facing the audience and an interaction that was unrealistic even in the context of the story and it was at odds with the rest of the game's narrative. It was out of nowhere and by no means was it a serious scene that ether progressed the plot or characters. It was silly and goofy, like I said, if not one then damn near a parody.

Fair enough.

And you think that what we got was a stroke of genius, then, because I disagree. Again, the 'it could've been worse' argument doesn't make the subject in question any more appealing than adding an ugly chic to make the other one look good by contrast.

To an extent that both a good and a bad thing. You will never please everyone so it not healthy for the game to try, look at RE6. At the same time without feedback you can't figure out what the right direction for the game is when you make stupid choices and you aren't called on them.

I never said it could've been worst or even implied that. I also never said it was a "stroke of genius' just the stunt coordinators and motion capture directors took a rather common scene in fiction (action media) and made it over the top or nonsensical. It sort of fit in considering a majority of DMC4 was over the top and silly even if the tone was serious (Nero savagely punching the floor, Agnus stuttering problem and everyone making fun of him for it, Nero's sparkling tears, the main villain being the pope is a joke in itself, Credo turning into sparkling white light, Gloria, the secret ending with the random ass background explosion, Dante sitting on fire, Trish and Dante making fun of the Savior's design, Dante playing baseball with the Mega Scarecrows, and the fact the thing that Nero was sealed in looked like a vagina.

DMC4 can be serious but its rather tongue and cheek about it....for most of the time.

berto

I Saw the Devil
never said it was a "stroke of genius'
I never said that you did. I didn't say 'You just said it was a stroke of genius!' I said 'And you think that what we got was a stroke of genius' as in I don't think that adding the 'flare' did the game any favors and quite the opposite, in fact.

just the stunt coordinators and motion capture directors took a rather common scene in fiction (action media) and made it over the top or nonsensical. It sort of fit in considering a majority of DMC4 was over the top and silly even if the tone was serious (Nero savagely punching the floor, Agnus stuttering problem and everyone making fun of him for it, Nero's sparkling tears, the main villain being the pope is a joke in itself, Credo turning into sparkling white light, Gloria, the secret ending with the random ass background explosion, Dante sitting on fire, Trish and Dante making fun of the Savior's design, Dante playing baseball with the Mega Scarecrows, and the fact the thing that Nero was sealed in looked like a vagina.

DMC4 can be serious but its rather tongue and cheek about it....for most of the time.
Most of those didn't helped my opinion of the game, ether.

You are not going to convince me that that scene was good or even acceptable. I stand by what I said, I don't like it and I don't like what it represents or where it stands with the rest of the game.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I never said that you did. I didn't say 'You just said it was a stroke of genius!' I said 'And you think that what we got was a stroke of genius' as in I don't think that adding the 'flare' did the game any favors and quite the opposite, in fact.

Most of those didn't helped my opinion of the game, ether.

You are not going to convince me that that scene was good or even acceptable. I stand by what I said, I don't like it and I don't like what it represents or where it stands with the rest of the game.

You did say "you think" as I thought that was a stroke of genius. You just did.
Who says I'm trying to convince you that scene was good (that is not in my agenda)? Posting those points all work out in your favor.

You said that scene doesn't stand well with the rest of the game when in fact the rest/most of the game is pretty much like that.....remember the Lucifer scene?

berto

I Saw the Devil
You did say "you think" as I thought that was a stroke of genius. You just did.
Would a question mark help? As in 'And you think that what we got was a stroke of genius (?)'

Who says I'm trying to convince you that scene was good (that is not in my agenda)? Posting those points all work out in your favor.

You said that scene doesn't stand well with the rest of the game when in fact the rest/most of the game is pretty much like that.....remember the Lucifer scene?
And out of all the things you listed none of them top the ridiculous nature of this scene so I get your point but even with all of that already in place this is still the most unnecessary and dumb thing in the game and I just don't like it. It's so bad.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Would a question mark help? As in 'And you think that what we got was a stroke of genius (?)'

And out of all the things you listed none of them top the ridiculous nature of this scene so I get your point but even with all of that already in place this is still the most unnecessary and dumb thing in the game and I just don't like it. It's so bad.

Really not even Dante talking about ramming a chick while destroying a Hell Gate by forming a heart shape with spectral pink spears to flamenco music and spinning in mid-air and a rose in his mouth?

Also I checked again there was no fireworks just confetti. However, there was weird lightning effects.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Because Dante didn't act serious?
Wellp, he does not consider Agnus as serious opponent, so he just taunts him in Shakespeare-like way to show that semi-demon semi-bug how ridiculous he looks with his "philosophy" about humans and demons. Some type of irony.

Not because he didn't act serious, but because what he chose to do was stupid and I thought he could've done something more...well funny, but still remember why he's there.

Really not even Dante talking about ramming a chick while destroying a Hell Gate by forming a heart shape with spectral pink spears to flamenco music and spinning in mid-air and a rose in his mouth?

Also I checked again there was no fireworks just confetti. However, there was weird lightning effects.

I could never really get use to that scene because one minute it's "Race to the giant demon statue to save Nero and the city" to "What light through yonder demon breaks. It is the demons, and Dante is the hammer."

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Not because he didn't act serious, but because what he chose to do was stupid and I thought he could've done something more...well funny, but still remember why he's there.

I could never really get use to that scene because one minute it's "Race to the giant demon statue to save Nero and the city" to "What light through yonder demon breaks. It is the demons, and Dante is the hammer."

Actually Dante went to the church to get Yamato from Agnus to close down the True Hell Gate so at the moment what mattered most was Agnus and Yamato and the whole theater encounter was basically just a conversation between Dante and Agnus. The city was fine since Trish was evacuating the civilians and Sanctus was wiping out all the demons.

Also, on the way to church Dante found the time to f*ck with both Berial, Echinda, and Dagon, talk about sex to a gate, and commit froggy genocide so its not like Dante was on a consistent mindset on his mission to the church.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Actually Dante went to the church to get Yamato from Agnus to close down the True Hell Gate so at the moment what mattered most was Agnus and Yamato and the whole theater encounter was basically just a conversation between Dante and Agnus. The city was fine since Trish was evacuating the civilians and Sanctus was wiping out all the demons.

You mean the sword that was only brought up once the entire monologue all while they still do a poor man's Shakespearean play? Yeah, I got that bit.

Also, on the way to church Dante found the time to f*ck with both Berial, Echinda, and Dagon, talk about sex to a gate, and commit froggy genocide so its not like Dante was on a consistent mindset on his mission to the church.

And that's what I have a problem with; Back in DMC1 or even DMC3, Dante was still focused on getting to the place he needed to go. At the beginning, he needed to advance through the tower to fight Vergil, but used the whole "party" excuse as another way to put it.

With DMC4 when it came to bosses, he seemed to have forgotten what he was doing and only remembered at the end of his fights when he sees a shiny ball near the hell gate and says "Oh right, I have to save Fortuna."

berto

I Saw the Devil

if that scene didn't exist i think the lucifer scene would be the one i would find to be the most unlikeble. i remember not minding them at first, maybe even liking them, but the more i digested them the less i liked them. they are part of the whole and have have become a big part of why i don't like 4 that much.

Top Bottom