• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Yamato and Rebellion

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
...Dante is 6'1", and classic Rebellion(as well as New!Rebellion) is DEFINITELY more than five feet long. And yes, it is a Zweihander, because zweihander literally means "two hander", and they were typically 4 and a half feet long or so. Claymores also tended to be four feet or more, since they were two handed swords traditionally crafted in Scotland, and are essentially the same thing as a Zweihander, it;'s mainly a different in style and the national culture.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Rebellion was never a zwiehander, it's a claymore. Zweihanders are a lot longer (more than five feet), and Rebellion is not that long. Claymores are around three and a half feet-ish, like the Rebellion. Rebellion also doesn't have that distinct ricasso at the base of the blade where the crossguard meets it.

The DmC Rebellion is still pretty much a claymore, it just lacks the crossguard. I honestly wish it did have a crossguard, too :/

Blah, shows what I know. i always get Claymores and Zweihanders mixed up.

I've always been a Ram Dao man myself for when i need to decapitate a horse as well as the pillock riding it.

tumblr_m1fmovWxun1rrjmgoo1_1280.jpg

It's a crime that we haven't seen one of these bad boys swung in a DMC.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Zweihanders were mostly stabbing weapons, like polearms because of their length, and had the dulled base for trying to dent enemy armor. Claymores are slashing and crushing weapons that have no dulled ricasso. Even Rebellion's crossguard is angled like most claymores.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Blah, shows what I know. i always get Claymores and Zweihanders mixed up.

I've always been a Ram Dao man myself for when i need to decapitate a horse as well as the pillock riding it.

tumblr_m1fmovWxun1rrjmgoo1_1280.jpg

It's a crime that we haven't seen one of these bad boys swung in a DMC.

Haha...that sorta reminds me of the Capra Demon's sword...*shudder* "Hey! Let's fight in my closet! And I'll use two of these!"

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Haha...that sorta reminds me of the Capra Demon's sword...*shudder* "Hey! Let's fight in my closet! And I'll use two of these!"

Oh god don't remind me. Now there was a boss who didn't screw about. I shudder at the thought of those kids playing DmC and thinking that the Dream Runners are tough while the Capra is out there...

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Dude, Dark Souls totally gives you a knew outlook on what "hard enemies" are, haha. I do have to say, it's served me well in handling some of the higher difficulty enemy waves in DmC, though. As of now, I shudder to think of fighting several Tyrants in the Virility Mixing Room with acid spewing all over the floor - on Hell and Hell mode! At least we can fight in the air in DmC :p

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Dude, Dark Souls totally gives you a knew outlook on what "hard enemies" are, haha. I do have to say, it's served me well in handling some of the higher difficulty enemy waves in DmC, though. As of now, I shudder to think of fighting several Tyrants in the Virility Mixing Room with acid spewing all over the floor - on Hell and Hell mode! At least we can fight in the air in DmC :p

So much potential wasted...Imagine if those Tyrants could DT like in classic DMD. That'd put hair on your balls.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Oh dude, they totally DO DT on DMD and higher T_T And they have an enraged mode even on the normal difficulties!

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Oh dude, they totally DO DT on DMD and higher T_T And they have an enraged mode even on the normal difficulties!

It's still kid-gloves compared to how merciless it was back in the day, although it is nice that they amped up rage a bit for DMD. I just wish they cracked out new abilities too so you really had to switch up your tactics. Remember when you went up against Shadows in DMC1 on DMD, and they'd start cracking out that melee/counter magical attack even when you hadn't hit them with a sword, and how you filled your pants with crap?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Remember when you went up against Shadows in DMC1 on DMD, and they'd start cracking out that melee/counter magical attack even when you hadn't hit them with a sword, and how you filled your pants with crap?

No, I retain dominance over my bowels :p I am no slave to my butt.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
DMC Rebellion and DmC Rebellion are both good weapons in design, they reflect both Dantes. DMC Rebellion had the skull guard with a horned side and a un-horned side. It reflects Dante's duality; his demonic and human nature. Also, when the sword's guard opened up and the same thing happened in The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and then later in Skyward Sword, DMC Rebellion felt like DMC Dante's own Master Sword, but with skulls and we all know skulls are awesome.

DmC Rebellion feels ethereal; it's not part of the human world. DmC Dante being the angel/demon hybrid he is, really reinforces this. Almost everything about him is inhuman, except for his appearance of course. He just doesn't belong with human, or even angels and demons for that matter. The blade itself looks clean, but the hilt looks warped. DmC Dante looks normal, but most people do as well, what's inside of him is pretty messed up.

DMC Yamato (Ya-mot-toe) and DmC Yamato (Yea-mat-toe) just look like plain katanas, especially DmC's which was literally a plain katana. While DMC's Yamato is more elegant with the ribbon, white-wrapped hilt, dragon emblem on the pommel, and I think a trimmed sheath. But I think most of this has to do with the nature of katanas; you can't really make them look all that different. Maybe jagged edges, different wrapped hilt, different tsuba (guard) or no tsuba, designs on the blades, but it'll just end up as a katana. Straightening the blade, shortening or lengthening the blade changes it into a differently named, but similarly looking blade.

Theme-wise, they go great with both Vergils. DmC Vergil uses it almost like a cane, and as he states: "All war is fought with deception and you have been deceived." Yamato can, in supernatural cases common with books, films, anime, cartoons, games, etc., slash without being drawn fully, meters away from the wielder, and through dimensions, etc. The two Vergils don't have to work hard or even be next to you for you to be dead. By drawing slightly, the enemy will never know what hit him; deceived by his opponent. However, DMC Vergil appears to be honorable than DmC Vergil. Thinking on that, I think DmC Vergil should of had a shirasaya, a katana without a tsuba, and maybe a dagger inside of the sheath like Mugen from Samurai Champloo. It'd make DmC Vergil more deceptive, dishonorable, and a very true to his own words. Otherwise, they both are simple, effective, and dangerous blades, everything the two Vergils need. Afterall, they both have different styles compared to both Dantes.

Edit: How David de Latour pronounces Yamato, is that an accent thing?

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Haha I was right. Hearing David say Yamato like that did throw me off guard.

Lucky you, it made me hurl a little in my mouth.

I'd have liked it if they'd made the effort to have Yamato change during DT, to symbolize how Vergil has explored Devil Trigger longer than Dante and is therefore a worthy adversary one should be intimidated by in a final battle. You know, because that might have been exciting.

versus003.jpg

Some projects, such as Ryuhei Kitamura's Versus (Which is such a fun dumb CUHRAYZAY film it's much more of a DMC spin-off than DmC is, go see it) have been able to give katana design changes which make them like the classic imagery of the sword while making them otherworldly and bizarre. Note the spiked grip on the foreground one.

But yeah, nothing wrong with keeping the design totally normal.

SuperDante007

Loved the new Rebellion even though I didn't think I would, had a very nice feel to it and was a lot more usefull than the old one (grappling etc) :)

SuperDante007

Loved the new Rebellion even though I didn't think I would, had a very nice feel to it and was a lot more useful than the old one (grappling etc) :)

zarion

The weapon Sparda is seen holding in his portrait in home truths isn't Rebellion, it has a curved guard

Top Bottom