• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Yamato and Rebellion

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
So what do you guys think about the swords in this version?

For rebellion, I like that it has an organic and simplistic design. It's not overly anime giant sword styled and is more grounded. Though it seems simple, it has great qualities and seems very trusty.

Yamato, I'll admit, I didn't like how it looked so simple and generic, but after a while I learned to like it. It was int resting to see in Vergil's hands and that must be why I like it now.

Downfall

So what do you guys think about the swords in this version?

For rebellion, I like that it has an organic and simplistic design. It's not overly anime giant sword styled and is more grounded. Though it seems simple, it has great qualities and seems very trusty.

Yamato, I'll admit, I didn't like how it looked so simple and generic, but after a while I learned to like it. It was int resting to see in Vergil's hands and that must be why I like it now.

I'll admit it; I didn't like Rebellion when it was first revealed. And Yamato seemed too short for my tastes.

Looking at Rebellion again, however, I grew to like it. Now I prefer it to the original DMC3 Rebellion.

Yamato will still take some time to get used to. Soon enough, I won't even notice the difference. ^_^

And on a side note: The DMC2 costume would have been preferable to the DMC3 costume DLC. Dante even has the DMC2 hair (somewhat). He should have the costume to go along with it.

Gbraga

I love the new Rebellion, not so fond of Ebony & Ivory though, the concept art for them is godlike, but their actual in-game model... eh...

About Yamato, I don't really have a preference, I'm ok with both, not crazy over any.

Downfall

At first, I didn't like the new E&I either. But then, when I went back to watch old TGS 2010 trailer, I thought the old design looked rather boring. I actually prefer the new design, now.

Gbraga

At first, I didn't like the new E&I either. But then, when I went back to watch old TGS 2010 trailer, I thought the old design looked rather boring. I actually prefer the new design, now.
Yeah, you see, I really dig the new design, I think it looks great in the concept art, I like it more than the old one, my issue is more about modeling than art.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I felt by stripping down Rebellion and removing the hand guards they made it look too similar to Yamato in build, and less like an actual Zweihander.

Zweihander.jpg
rebellion.jpg

Rebellion.jpg

"One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just doesn't, belong."

If they wanted New Rebellion to be more realistic they could have made the shaft thinner, but they didn't. Because it's not really about being more realistic. It's about being different. For bad or for worse.

Mister Z

Changes avatars like they were t-shirts
What was so memorable about the original Yamato, though? I thought it always looked like a not-so-special katana to me in all games it has been, this one included.

And I think the new Rebellion looks ok, but I don't think the old one would have been out of place in this one at all, better even.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Another thing that gets me about the New Rebellion isn't so much that it's a stripped down version of the old one, but that...well, it's the Red Queen.

%255CAUTOIMAGES%255CUC2596lg.jpg

Why is "Dante" wielding Nero's sword? Or wearing his coat?

DMC4_nero.jpg

...and why is he grappling all over the battlefield, which is Nero's unique combat trait?

And why does he unlock power through a Blue Rose, which is Nero's signature weapon?

NT really should have done more than play the beginning of DMC4 before designing Etnad. Maybe then they'd have realised that Nero and Dante are separate characters.

Mister Z

Changes avatars like they were t-shirts
NT really should have done more than play the beginning of DMC4 before designing Etnad. Maybe then they'd have realised that Nero and Dante are separate characters.

We agree new Dante has lot in common with Nero, but please, drop the "NT only played DMC4 as Nero!" crap because we all know it's a lie. By that logic, Prop Shredder, Stinger, Trillion Stabs, E&I, Revenant and Eryx wouldn't be in the game at all.

We can be fair and agree it could very well be a mixture of both Dante and Nero, and since a lot of people weren't happy with Nero, it's logical many aren't fond new Dante's similarities with him.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
We agree new Dante has lot in common with Nero, but please, drop the "NT only played DMC4 as Nero!" crap because we all know it's a lie. By that logic, Prop Shredder, Stinger, Trillion Stabs, E&I, Revenant and Eryx wouldn't be in the game at all.

We can be fair and agree it could very well be a mixture of both Dante and Nero, and since a lot of people weren't happy with Nero, it's logical many aren't fond new Dante's similarities with him.

It's still funny because it's basically indefensible. You really can't justify mashing the two characters together on any creative level, and if they wanted to do that they could have just not named their protagonist Dante. It also shows a dearth of creativity too; they could have really gone to town with overhauling Dante's character design and given him unique traits we've never seen before in this series, but instead they just mashed him into a pre-existing character and shipped it.

DragonMaster2010

Another thing that gets me about the New Rebellion isn't so much that it's a stripped down version of the old one, but that...well, it's the Red Queen.

%255CAUTOIMAGES%255CUC2596lg.jpg

I don't remember new Dante's rebellion revving up in the game, so...wut?

Why is "Dante" wielding Nero's sword? Or wearing his coat?

DMC4_nero.jpg

How do you get this confused with this?
$(KGrHqR,!jQE9NoNEh7oBPjvi6d7Lg~~60_57.JPG

Nero's hood is red while the inside of Dante's coat is red.

...and why is he grappling all over the battlefield, which is Nero's unique combat trait?
Unique? So Scorpion doesn't exist then?

And why does he unlock power through a Blue Rose, which is Nero's signature weapon?

Do you know the meaning of a blue rose?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_rose

Just like Capcom should have done more then watch bleach. Maybe then they would realize Nero isn't Ichigo.:troll:

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I don't remember new Dante's rebellion revving up in the game, so...wut?

I'm talking about the overall ergonomic design of the sword, and you know it dingus.

Nero's hood is red while the inside of Dante's coat is red.

Nero's coat is blue with a red inner lining. So is Etnad's.

Unique? So Scorpion doesn't exist then?

Okay then, it's Nero's signature combat trait, because he doesn't have access to the Style system, like Etnad.

Do you know the meaning of a blue rose?

It's internalized Iconography. When you see a pill in a Namco game, you think of Pac Man. When you see a Blue Rose in a game with Devil May Cry in the title, you think of Nero.

Just like Capcom should have done more then watch bleach. Maybe then they would realize Nero isn't Ichigo.:troll:

I know Bleach but I've never understood that reference. Other than it being more rhetoric to deflect legitimate criticism of course.

DragonMaster2010

I'm talking about the overall ergonomic design of the sword, and you know it dingus.

No need for insults. Goodness.:/

Nero's coat is blue with a red inner lining. So is Etnad's.

Dante's coat is a faded black not blue.

Okay then, it's Nero's signature combat trait, because he doesn't have access to the Style system, like Etnad.

Again, does scorpion not exist?

It's internalized Iconography. When you see a pill in a Namco game, you think of Pac Man. When you see a Blue Rose in a game with Devil May Cry in the title, you think of Nero.

And? You see pizza in DMC you think pizza hut. People have different thought processes, especially those who haven't played DMC4, or don't care about what Nero's gun is called. Plus that's just an easter egg mixed with a blue rose's actual meaning.

I know Bleach but I've never understood that reference. Other than it being more rhetoric to deflect legitimate criticism of course.

Okay. Whatever you say then. It seems you can't handle criticism as well.:/

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Okay. Whatever you say then. It seems you can't handle criticism as well.:/

Dingus isn't a real insult, it's a shorthand for when you don't know someone's name. Sorry if I rustled your jimmies.

Now you yourself have just said that it's an easter egg too, and there's still the question of internal iconography. You shouldn't mix character icons from characters who aren't relevant to the context of the scene you're setting.

raiden_00385881.png

In this redesign Raiden has an eyepatch because, within the series, it parallels the character Big Boss, a character who was driven to dark places by the manipulations of those in power and made terrible choices based on the horrors of his past, implying an incoming character arc for Raiden

blueroze_zps49ce7879.jpg

This is Blue Rose. It is a handgun.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
I kinda like the New Rebellion design, it's cool and sleek and it has a simple, otherworldly feel to it. Yamato, well it never really looked special anyway, was just a cool katana which has not changed, just the colors so I am not sure why anyone could even have a real issue with it.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
So...it's just lazy writing on Capcom's part.:/ Did they even look up the blue rose?

Well I guess you're partly right; the name of the pistol references Nero's relationship with Kyrie and it's inherent impossibility due to Nero's demonic lineage versus Kyrie's status as a devoted nun, in much the same way as in DmC the presence of actual blue roses represents Sparda's relationship with Eva and it's legacy. What I'm getting at is that because the symbolism of the item is already an established part of the series when you see the rose in DmC you don't think "Impossible Love", you think "Huge Goddamn Revolver".

Sorry if I've seemed stand-offish, I've nothing against anyone.

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
I like the new swords.
AU Rebellion feels like a part of AU Dante, in a way that OU Dante and OU Rebellion didn't have, so the organic feel is a nice tie in to that.

AU Yamato is pretty much OU Yamato with a new handgaurd.

(notes: AU= Alternate universe, OU= original universe)

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Rebellion was never a zwiehander, it's a claymore. Zweihanders are a lot longer (more than five feet), and Rebellion is not that long. Claymores are around three and a half feet-ish, like the Rebellion. Rebellion also doesn't have that distinct ricasso at the base of the blade where the crossguard meets it.

The DmC Rebellion is still pretty much a claymore, it just lacks the crossguard. I honestly wish it did have a crossguard, too :/

Top Bottom