• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

would platinum games have made a better DmC?

would platinum games have made a better DmC?

• yes

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • no

• maybe

• Total voters

AngelMode

I said maybe because Platinum games tend to be too over-the-top... and I mean WAAAYYY too over the top. DMC has a more... say, mysterious feeling to it... like you're playing a horror game, except it's action. It only gets freaky and crazy at the last stages in DMC games. But you never have stuff like "run on the wall at 150 mph slashing buildings in half with an approximately four feet long sword while dodging missiles" type of deal. Bayonetta had that too, especially that one level where you are actually on some sort of missile shooting stuff.... I don't even... remember what that was about... but yeah.

I mean, don't get me wrong, that is some blood pumping awesome stuff. But I think it actually deviates from the main core gameplay, and that is not DMC's way of dealing with situations.

Blacknerd

Personally Id like them both to do it so it can be balanced out for both story and gameplay. At the same time again the original creator would have changed dante back to being more of his first version and then combat would be different again ****ing off more people :D

m100t8s

I personally don't like the idea of over-scripted boss battles with Quick Time Events inserted in between.

The boss battles of Bayonetta & Metal Gear Rising are heavily scripted and Platinum will most likely pull the same crap if they ever made a DMC game.

In an interview regarding Bayonetta, Kamiya acknowledged that what he did on the first DMC is most likely outdated and admitted that he played DMC4 (half of it) for research.
I agree with Kamiya, DMC1 Dante was a pretty good character, But not cool or awesome as Itsuno's version in DMC3-4. And you can obviously tell that Kamiya played the first half of DMC4 by Bayonetta's first chapters :)

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
It could also potentially be yet another DMC4 style half-assed rehash and thrown together mess, and possibly worse than how you regard DmC. The question would be, would you accept that it was terribley flaw, or blindly defend it because itw as made by platnium? Because there are some P* fans who will refuse to see any fault even if something is a steaming pile of dung.

Not saying you would, I'm just posing the question.

I know you didn't pose the question towards me but i hope you don't mind if i give an answer to that as it's quite a valid question, one i thank you for making.

If Platinum had made a game, ANY game, that i didn't feel was up to par i'd happily discuss on what points it fails on and why i feel like it was a bad game overall.

Now if it were a DMC game they screwed up on? Oh you better believe i'd be upset, even more then i was with NT, you can actually make quite a few cases for forgiving NT but Platinum? Not so much.

Again i'm not answering for anybody else but i like to consider myself a fair person, if somebody does something wrong or something right i will react appropriatly, regardless of who made it.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Rayl, thank you for your complete and total honesty, that is exactly WHY I posed that question.

I recognize flaws and faults in DmC...I recognize them in the previous games as well...(looks at DMC2 and 4.)
But I still enjoy them. However, I am noticing a patern with DMC games; odd ones tend to be over blown and over hyped and not deliver as much as they promise, kind'a like how before Star Trek 2009. it was always odd numbered movies that seemed to fail despite hordes of hype...

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
why_not_both-1.jpg

Winterfrost

Shadow-of-Sundered-Star
While I agree with DragonMaster.
I think no, in my opinion P* needs to do what they do best, their own games and ideas. Instead of taking on the burden of an old franchise..sure they sort of did that with MGR, but you don't seem them completely re-doing MGS and others as well, correct?
Basically I'm saying that they would have..but that wouldn't give them enough time to make their own ideas if that makes sense.
in my opinion.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
It could also potentially be yet another DMC4 style half-assed rehash and thrown together mess, and possibly worse than how you regard DmC. The question would be, would you accept that it was terribley flaw, or blindly defend it because itw as made by platnium? Because there are some P* fans who will refuse to see any fault even if something is a steaming pile of dung.

On the topic at hand of P* making a better Devil May Cry, I doubt it. Thing is I think P* would make the SAME Devil May Cry. It would still suffer from the same obvious shortcomings the series always had and I can see it just being ok at best. I'd also probably not pay much mind to it because after DMC 4 and they hit a creative dead end and Devil May Cry just became uninteresting.

The fans can say what they want about DmC but there is no denying that DmC surpassed the originals in aspects. Just look at the incredible art direction and aesthetics to the overall design. The controls incorporate a very comfortable control scheme and mechanics that all flow well. DmC is the most original game out of the bunch as it has it's own distinct identity and visual flare. Seriously they are sitting on something good for this almost 12 year old series that did hardly anything innovative or fresh as the years went on. It could use some work but the sheer creative integrity and actual effort that went into this game is enough for me to commend NT for going forth with creative confidence despite being bashed at every turn by this stupid fanbase. I'll give credit where credit is due. This isn't a lazy piece of sh!t like DMC 4. Capcom doesn't care about Devil May Cry. At least NT gave a f*ck.

DragonMaster2010

On the topic at hand of P* making a better Devil May Cry, I doubt it. Thing is I think P* would make the SAME Devil May Cry. It would still suffer from the same obvious shortcomings the series always had and I can see it just being ok at best. I'd also probably not pay much mind to it because after DMC 4 and they hit a creative dead end and Devil May Cry just became uninteresting.

Yeah, but P* Didn't make DMC4. Koboyashi did. And he's not part of P*. If Kamiya and his crew could get back into the DMC grove, then DMC could have a chance. But seeing Bayonetta, and MGR, I have doubts.

The fans can say what they want about DmC but there is no denying that DmC surpassed the originals in some aspects.

Fixed.

Just look at the incredible art direction and aesthetics to the overall design.

Yes, they did surpass that.

The controls incorporate a very comfortable control scheme and mechanics that all flow well.

Yes and no. I still have troubles with doing a few techniques not because I don't practice, but because the game can get pretty iffy. Though not enough to make me drop it.

DmC is the most original game out of the bunch as it has it's own distinct identity and visual flare.

DmC isn't THAT original you know. To me its Rebel without a Cause, meets Blade, meets They Live, meets Underworld, meets Inception. (Which makes for a cool combination)

Seriously they are sitting on something good for this almost 12 year old series that did hardly anything innovative or fresh as the years went on.

Um...DMC3?

It could use some work but the sheer creative integrity and actual effort that went into this game is enough for me to commend NT for going forth with creative confidence despite being bashed at every turn by this stupid fanbase. I'll give credit where credit is due. This isn't a lazy piece of sh!t like DMC 4. Capcom doesn't care about Devil May Cry. At least NT gave a f*ck.

No. NT did it for fun. Capcom did it for money. Though both did it for that extra money in their wallets. I see you quoted my "give NT credit" thread. Well let me explain my opinion on that;

The thread to me was that even though NT is hated on and beaten down by the fanbase while Capcom sat back from the fire, NT still fought on to make this game and really get it out there. they put a lot on this game and were caring enough to get great music, put amazing artistic flare to it, and create a shifting world that moves greatly. That's why I thanked NT. Not for recreating Devil May Cry, but for making an all around great game that people said would fail.

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
It would be really nice to have one of each series every now and then, since I actually like the style of DmC's combat quite a lot too.

I mean, likely there is no other action/hack n' slash game I like quite as much (I used to like samurai warriors more, but that was on the ps2, when I pirated the games for a low price), so the more Devil May Cry the merrier.
Having two different teams working on these games would also allow the possibility of more games comming in less time, and that would be really awesome.

Meg

What you're basically asking me is if I'm a blind loving/hating fan who bases her opinion on stupid things.

Now here's the problem with asking me (or anyone) such a question. If I was such a fan, I would not realize it because in my mind my opinions would be completely justified. So the answer to your question would be "no, I am not defending it because it was made by PG. But I do think it is good for *insert blind love here*."

Now let's look at the opposite: me not being a blind fangirl. If I was a rational fan capable of examining a game on its own merits, then the answer to your question would be "well, duh, I wouldn't blindly love it just because it was made by a developer who has yet to put out a game I really cared about."

Assuming option two is true (which it is) we are left wondering why this question was made in the first place. Have I not always carried myself as someone who is more than capable of examining something as it really is and not just loving/hating it for superficial reasons?

And that concludes Meg's patronizing post of the day. ;)

DragonMaster2010

What you're basically asking me is if I'm a blind loving/hating fan who bases her opinion on stupid things.

Now here's the problem with asking me (or anyone) such a question. If I was such a fan, I would not realize it because in my mind my opinions would be completely justified. So the answer to your question would be "no, I am not defending it because it was made by PG. But I do think it is good for *insert blind love here*."

Now let's look at the opposite: me not being a blind fangirl. If I was a rational fan capable of examining a game on its own merits, then the answer to your question would be "well, duh, I wouldn't blindly love it just because it was made by a developer who has yet to put out a game I really cared about."

Assuming option two is true (which it is) we are left wondering why this question was made in the first place. Have I not always carried myself as someone who is more than capable of examining something as it really is and not just loving/hating it for superficial reasons?

And that concludes Meg's patronizing post of the day. ;)

Gotta side with Meg on this one.

But with me, it all depends on What P* would have done. But since they don't have DmC, and NT and Capcom do, then...there's nothing left to say except hopeless dreams and wishful thinking.

But hey, don't let me stop you
24931729.jpg

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
"But it would most likely, if not absolutely be better than DmC."

This is why I posed the question, because that statement assumes that P* would automatically put out something better. Hence why i posed "but it could easily be even more of a mess, would you still defend it just because it's Platnium?"

because I have run into P* fanatics who say that their vaulted studio can do no wrong and is automatically better, especially with OUR LORD AND SAVIOR Kamiya...and I **** you not, he has fans that treat him like the coming of God even as he insults and belittles them to their faces...

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I could write long paragraphs on how I think about this matter, but I guess I'll keep it short and simple because of my own lazyness.
I don't think that P* would have made a better game. And with the term game I mean what games are nowadays, forms of entertainment which are not only about gameplay anymore, as strange as it sounds. It's a medium in which you tell stories, things that people keep in their head. And that is why God of War for example is so popular, it told a story which is memorable, even though the main character was morally questionable at best.
That point alone would've been a reason for me to not get the game or get it used, I know there are people that play games soley for the gameplay, but I for one do not only want a game to be good at that. When a game has a story which I found lacking, then I don't find myself going back to it anytime soon. That is also why I never played Bayonetta on hard mode and above.
Keep in mind, it's my opinion, so have a good day.

Meg

This is why I posed the question, because that statement assumes that P* would automatically put out something better. Hence why i posed "but it could easily be even more of a mess, would you still defend it just because it's Platnium?"

because I have run into P* fanatics who say that their vaulted studio can do no wrong and is automatically better, especially with OUR LORD AND SAVIOR Kamiya...and I **** you not, he has fans that treat him like the coming of God even as he insults and belittles them to their faces...
That was more an insult to NT than a compliment to PG. ;)

MegaMad9

The Mad Man
I was not a big fan of DMC1, I prefer the combat of DMC3 and DMC4 a lot more, so I don't know. I'm sure that Platinum Games and NT both could come up with great ideas for DmC, but I'll stick with NT. Not saying PG is bad, but I think the ideas would sound better on paper than in game.

Dominus

Kamiya hasn't really had many missteps in his career and most of the titles he has directed have been pretty DAMN good, so why again should people doubt Kamiya might make an amazing game? He isn't a god, but you are basically undermining his great directing ability just because others hold him up so highly. NT on the other hand, up until DmC had some pretty mediocre action games with stories that were outsourced. Their games were plagued with performance issues and lackluster combat (and input lag..). Now with the help of Capcom's combat expertise, and probably learning from the past faults, they were able to craft a good combat engine (but the story was lacking imo). It sure didn't redefine the action genre, but it was a good effort on NT part.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Kamiya hasn't really had many missteps in his career and most of the titles he has directed have been pretty DAMN good, so why again should people doubt Kamiya might make an amazing game? He isn't a god, but you are basically undermining his great directing ability just because others hold him up so highly. NT on the other hand, up until DmC had some pretty mediocre action games with stories that were outsourced. Their games were plagued with performance issues and lackluster combat (and input lag..). Now with the help of Capcom's combat expertise, and probably learning from the past faults, they were able to craft a good combat engine (but the story was lacking imo). It sure didn't redefine the action genre, but it was a good effort on NT part.

See, Kamiya does get good games done, but he's not the god of gaming a number of his fans try to make him out to be. Shegiro Miyamoto has done more for various genres and games than Kamiya ever will, and he's not put on a damn golden pedestal for his efforts. And that's my point. Kamiya's good, but he's not always "THE CHOICE" for everything, and NT's efforts and what they have learn should not be brushed aside just to go "well, if KAMIYA and P* had done this, all would be perfect!"

I can tell you a major fault of Kamiya's method of "all flash and style"...storytelling and character suffers horribly as a result. Bayonetta was a fun game, but the story was so derivitive and Bayo herself was not even a character. So unlikeable to me to teh point I'd rather have Jeanne be the person we were playing and following...

Dominus

See, Kamiya does get good games done, but he's not the god of gaming a number of his fans try to make him out to be. Shegiro Miyamoto has done more for various genres and games than Kamiya ever will, and he's not put on a damn golden pedestal for his efforts. And that's my point. Kamiya's good, but he's not always "THE CHOICE" for everything, and NT's efforts and what they have learn should not be brushed aside just to go "well, if KAMIYA and P* had done this, all would be perfect!"
He's not the choice for everything but we are specifically talking about the game series he created. I personally would prefer that Itsuno be given a chance at DMC5 to make up for DMC4 being rushed.

I can tell you a major fault of Kamiya's method of "all flash and style"...storytelling and character suffers horribly as a result. Bayonetta was a fun game, but the story was so derivitive and Bayo herself was not even a character. So unlikeable to me to teh point I'd rather have Jeanne be the person we were playing and following...
Then you are in the wrong genre son. You obviously have been a long time fan but practically all the games in the H&S genre have always been about crazy action and tight gameplay as opposed to some kind of coherent story. I mean DMC series did have novels and mangas to try and fill in the details but I never expected the games themselves to have great stories when you are trying to pop in sequel after sequel after sequel. Usually when H&S games aim for simpler stories they end up being better... like DMC3.. and hell NG1's story was alright because it was pretty basic (NG2 was wtf). But throughout the H&S genre defining the story around the gameplay as opposed to trying to explain the video gamey elements always came off better.
Despite NT's efforts I don't think they really made a great story. They had good presentation early on but the villains were weak and 1-dimensional, and the only redeeming characterization was Kat's.. Dante was alright, but if you really wanted to develop his character it would basically lead to less action and gameplay sequences (aka less playing a video game). Vergil sucked but at least Vergil's downfall makes him look more interesting (though some people may not like him treading back into his anime roots).

Top Bottom