• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

would platinum games have made a better DmC?

would platinum games have made a better DmC?

• yes

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • no

• maybe

• Total voters

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
So with the new MGR we can see just how capable they are of producing a worthwhile hack and slash game. So do u think Platinum games would have made a better choice over NT for the reboot?

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
I personally think they would have been the better choice. However, the question would be now if they would have made it in similar fashion to how DMC3 was made or if they would put their own style to it.

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
As far as i know, the last time Kamiya was asked if he'd make another DMC game he said "I want to do what all fans want." but the thing is the guy, while he doesn't care either way about DmC would rather have DMC1 Dante back and that's not exactly the way forward either.

Sure the game might actually gain a sense of style, some crazy moves in there and some greath combat depth... it would probably be a step back in some other fashion.

I'd still take it over DmC though. No question about it.

8BitHero

Scrub
The weird thing is, both Platinum Games and Ninja Theory are two underrated developers with a crap ton of creative ideas, but their games never hit the big time. Platinum Games are have top notch, excellent gameplay however Ninja Theory have a strong emphasis on story telling
DmC being developed Ninja Theory isn't bad whereas Metal Gear Rising being developed by Platinum Games isn't bad either. But Metal Gear fans want story compared to DmC fans who want combat.
Basically, switch the developers and the ****storm wouldn't have nearly been as bad.
But I don't care much since the games turned out great either way.

m100t8s

Obviously yes.
But remember, Capcom wanted a reboot, so anyway they would've make a new story and a whole new look for Dante. Those old Dante fans will still be ****ed off.

But anyway, It would've been alot better Hack and Slash game.

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
Obviously yes.
But remember, Capcom wanted a reboot, so anyway they would've make a new story and a whole new look for Dante. Those old Dante fans will still be ****ed off.

But anyway, It would've been alot better Hack and Slash game.

Kamiya would have rebooted Dante back to being more like DMC1 Dante as i said, so the ****storm would have likely lessened but not by much.

The weird thing is, both Platinum Games and Ninja Theory are two underrated developers with a crap ton of creative ideas, but their games never hit the big time. Platinum Games are have top notch, excellent gameplay however Ninja Theory have a strong emphasis on story telling
DmC being developed Ninja Theory isn't bad whereas Metal Gear Rising being developed by Platinum Games isn't bad either. But Metal Gear fans want story compared to DmC fans who want combat.
Basically, switch the developers and the ****storm wouldn't have nearly been as bad.
But I don't care much since the games turned out great either way.

I think this is probably the best answer this thread could have come up with really, i'm having trouble imagining how Rising would have turned out with NT at the helm but it couldn't have been THAT bad.

Martius

SSSmokin!
I believe they'll give better visuals and more fluid combat. The bosses would've have been better, and an impressive soundtrack. Other than that, no.
So overall a better gameplay, you know what is important in games.
Of course they would make better game, they have bigger catalog of better games.

m100t8s

Kamiya would have rebooted Dante back to being more like DMC1 Dante as i said, so the ****storm would have likely lessened but not by much.

I think this is probably the best answer this thread could have come up with really, i'm having trouble imagining how Rising would have turned out with NT at the helm but it couldn't have been THAT bad.
Yeah. Kamiya probably didn't really like how Itsuno and his team made Dante in DMC3-4.
DmC with Kamiya being the director will makes Dante to more like how he was in DMC1.

But still, Capcom asked for a whole new look so I don't really think they would've kept the original look anyway.

(I hope Kamiya or Itsuno make a new original DMC game for the next-gen, I loved DMC1 and DMC3-4 Dante and will do anything to see any version of classic Dante again)

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
I really don't care actually. As long as we get Devil May Cry, and it's still about arcadey stylish combat, I'm still getting it anyway.
I would LOVE if platinum made a proper DMC game, and that means, bringing back the gothic atmosphere (none of that Final Fantasy twist of 4) like in 1 and 3, and having a great, memorable story like DMC3.
I'm not really sure if platinum would do that. If Metal Gear Rising is any tip, they are too in love with the wayoverthetop gamestyle they created for Bayonetta, and I don't have anything against it, but IMO, a Platinum DMC right now would be just as much a departure from the original series as the one Ninja Theory did.

I'm not even talking about gameplay alone, I'm saying the whole package, you know? Don't get me wrong, but DMC3 is SO MUCH better in everyway possible than DMC1.
What I'm trying to say it's while the fans would like it more (since the mention of Kamiya's name alone is some kind of fan-service it seems), the perfect DMC right now would be a game like DMC3, with the gameplay of dante from DMC4.
I don't think Platinum would bother to do that, they would most likely just do it's own thing with it. Only Dante would have white hair from the beginning.

But like I said, I would still get any Devil May Cry that comes out. So far, even the worst(DMC2) was likeable to some extent, and I've never seen a DMC game that didn't have at least some new features that made me play it again and again.

Goldsickle

I personally don't like the idea of over-scripted boss battles with Quick Time Events inserted in between.

The boss battles of Bayonetta & Metal Gear Rising are heavily scripted and Platinum will most likely pull the same crap if they ever made a DMC game.

Yeah. Kamiya probably didn't really like how Itsuno and his team made Dante in DMC3-4.
In an interview regarding Bayonetta, Kamiya acknowledged that what he did on the first DMC is most likely outdated and admitted that he played DMC4 (half of it) for research.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
The boss battles of Bayonetta & Metal Gear Rising are heavily scripted and Platinum will most likely pull the same crap if they ever made a DMC game.

...so it would be a lot like DmC then.

When you come down to it, there isn't much difference between seeing a red glow on a boss telling you "Use Demon Ophion Now!" or seeing a button prompt come up saying "Use Ninja Run to jump between incoming missiles!". It's still visual conveyance, even if Rising feels the need to put a button prompt on the screen. At least Blade Mode provides an additional layer of interactivity into the QTE, even if it's a bit shallow.

Personally I'd have loved it if Platinum had handled DMC5, but I don't think the answer would necessarily be to give it to Kamiya. The team is bigger than just him, and Saito has demonstrated that he understands Spectacle Action very aptly. Another element of whether or not it would work comes down to budgetary constraints: Platinum can't throw the ludicrously massive amount of money into their projects that Capcom can, so DMC5 would have to cut down on elements such as the intrusive cutscenes, expensive music licensing and top-of-the-range Public Relations management that DmC had.

And who would want that?

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
Short answer: No

Long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Actual Answer: They would have continued Kamiya's Vision of DMC, and fans would have hated to have an actual character in the game instead of a wiseass cowboy making dumb jokes...so It would have failed even with 60fps and crappy visuals. Also, they would have NEVER EVER let Itsuno touch their ideas. They hate capcom

Martius

SSSmokin!
Short answer: No

Long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Actual Answer: They would have continued Kamiya's Vision of DMC, and fans would have hated to have an actual character in the game instead of a wiseass cowboy making dumb jokes...so It would have failed even with 60fps and crappy visuals. Also, they would have NEVER EVER let Itsuno touch their ideas. They hate capcom
Damn, too bad my magic glass ball is in service now.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda

Actual actual answer: Like DMC2 and 4, the actual main character with Kamiya in charge again would not have been Dante at all, which would have AGAIN ****ed "fans" off who want more of the same rehashed again and again...they don't want DMC5, they want DMC3.5.5.6. At least that's what the "true fans" seem to say. Either way, no one is happy...again.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
You're asking this question in a forum that have quite a few people who are rather biased and think P* is one of the greatest game companies in the industry just because also ONE man is over there. Also I find it rather funny how the fanatical fans toss Hideki Kamiya's name around as if he is a god amongst men and he's only made ONE Devil May Cry game. The very first game which actually for the most part never is even considered their personal favorite in the series.

I don't know how many times I've seen the people who use the "Hideki Kamiya and original DMC series is the best" logic and also just talk about DMC 3 and 4. I've been accused of not being a "true fan" because I massively dislike the 4th game and don't care much for Dante in 3 or the style system. Yet I enjoy both takes on the series and my personal favorite in the series and in my opinion the best Devil May Cry game of them all is the original game which again is the ONLY Devil May Cry Hideki Kamiya was responsible for. I really enjoy DmC and want to see more of it but, DMC 1 is still the best to me and I still get accused of being a hater and not a "true fan" of the series. Oh well :/ .

Goldsickle

...so it would be a lot like DmC then.

When you come down to it, there isn't much difference between seeing a red glow on a boss telling you "Use Demon Ophion Now!" or seeing a button prompt come up saying "Use Ninja Run to jump between incoming missiles!"
In every DMC, including this one, the boss fight is where they give you the boss and a health bar and the game basically tells you "deplete it however you see fit".

In the likes of, Bayonetta, MGR or God Of War, it goes like:

Deplete 20% of boss's health > QTE > Deplete 20% more of boss's > button mashing sequence > QTE > Deplete 20% more of boss's health > change field > Deplete 30% more of boss's health > finisher sequence QTE.

And yeah, the scripted stuff is strong in Rising, like in the battle with Mistral and Monsoon.
Deplete Mistral's health a little and there's a compulsory sequence where she grabs you and you have to cut free, where you both move to a different place either way.

Now this is really subjective.
Some people may prefer over-scripted stuff but I like a more flexible combat.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
In every DMC, including this one, the boss fight is where they give you the boss and a health bar and the game basically tells you "deplete it however you see fit".

In the likes of, Bayonetta, MGR or God Of War, it goes like:

Deplete 20% of boss's health > QTE > Deplete 20% more of boss's > button mashing sequence > QTE > Deplete 20% more of boss's health > change field > Deplete 30% more of boss's health > finisher sequence QTE.

And yeah, the scripted stuff is strong in Rising, like in the battle with Mistral and Monsoon.
Deplete Mistral's health a little and there's a compulsory sequence where she grabs you and you have to cut free, where you both move to a different place either way.

Now this is really subjective.
Some people may prefer over-scripted stuff but I like a more flexible combat.
But Rising fails to capture the Metal Gear Awesome in execution and sure as hell doesn't live up to the Metal Gear that lies in it's name. The bosses in MGR are absolutely pathetic and just compare it to the epic, original, memorable, and innovative boss fights the Metal Gear series previously had.
For Example:
-Psycho Mantis
-The End
-The Sorrow
-The Boss
-Liquid Snake
-Gray Fox
etc. etc. etc.

And you're going to sit there with a straight face and tell me Rising actually lives up to the Metal Gear name? You've got to be kidding me. You might be fine with the "all style no substance" approach to developing games but Metal Gear was never known for that and had a substance and charm that made it so special and unlike any video game in the history of games. I believe I have more right to be upset with Rising than you have to be with DmC.It's not even my massive hatred for Raiden, it's how the Cyborg Ninja game should have been SO MUCH BETTER than this crap.

Even though I HATE Raiden with a fiery passion. Let me repeat that, I ABSOLUTELY HATE RAIDEN AND HE NEEDS TO DIE A HORRIBLE PAINFUL DEATH. You see how I feel about him? Get it? Ok now that you understand how much I hate him I'll go as far as to say this, Raiden deserved a better game than this. Now I have to go vomit for saying that.

Top Bottom