• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

would platinum games have made a better DmC?

would platinum games have made a better DmC?

• yes

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • no

• maybe

• Total voters

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Even though I HATE Raiden with a fiery passion. Let me repeat that, I ABSOLUTELY HATE RAIDEN AND HE NEEDS TO DIE A HORRIBLE PAINFUL DEATH. You see how I feel about him? Get it? Ok now that you understand how much I hate him I'll go as far as to say this, Raiden deserved a better game than this. Now I have to go vomit for saying that.

You seriously need to chill the eff out, bro. You're that riled up over a fictional character.
fictional-characters.gif

Dominus

But Rising fails to capture the Metal Gear Awesome in execution and sure as hell doesn't live up to the Metal Gear that lies in it's name. The bosses in MGR are absolutely pathetic and just compare it to the epic, original, memorable, and innovative boss fights the Metal Gear series previously had.
For Example:
-Psycho Mantis
-The End
-The Sorrow
-The Boss
-Liquid Snake
-Gray Fox
etc. etc. etc.

And you're going to sit there with a straight face and tell me Rising actually lives up to the Metal Gear name? You've got to be kidding me. You might be fine with the "all style no substance" approach to developing games but Metal Gear was never known for that and had a substance and charm that made it so special and unlike any video game in the history of games. I believe I have more right to be upset with Rising than you have to be with DmC.It's not even my massive hatred for Raiden, it's how the Cyborg Ninja game should have been SO MUCH BETTER than this crap.

Even though I HATE Raiden with a fiery passion. Let me repeat that, I ABSOLUTELY HATE RAIDEN AND HE NEEDS TO DIE A HORRIBLE PAINFUL DEATH. You see how I feel about him? Get it? Ok now that you understand how much I hate him I'll go as far as to say this, Raiden deserved a better game than this. Now I have to go vomit for saying that.
I had more fun fighting MGR's bosses than any of the bosses I fought in MGS2 and MGS3. **** that last battle against Solidus with those stupid sword controls.

But in reality I think unless they did a DMC Bayonetta crossover its best to have a plurality of H&S's as opposed to continually outsourcing DMC. I'd prefer Itsuno direct DMC5...

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
You seriously need to chill the eff out, bro. You're that riled up over a fictional character.
fictional-characters.gif
Yea. Raiden is like one of the only characters I have kind of an unreal hatred for and I am quite aware of that lol. Kind of like how my friend has an unreal hatred for Carrie Kelley in the Dark Knight Returns.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I had more fun fighting MGR's bosses than any of the bosses I fought in MGS2 and MGS3. **** that last battle against Solidus with those stupid sword controls.

I liked the bosses in MGS titles as well, but granted...they're a different genre than MGR, so I tackle them with a different mindset.

And I LOVED that final sword battle :3 Slicing missiles out of the air without a slow-motion Blade Mode was fun.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Metal Gear Solid 3 is a goddamn masterpiece and I thought no boss could possibly top the epicness that was Psycho Mantis. Then I fought The End which is one of the coolest and most unique boss fights in video game history. That fight can literally last for hours and it is just as much a test of endurance as it is skill. It's a freaking sniper battle. Then also you have a boss fight with the Sorrow which is not even technically a boss fight but so memorable by sheer uniqueness alone. Whoever you killed up until that point literally comes back to haunt you.

You probably enjoy the hack n slash genre more than any other genre out there. To be honest my favorite video game genres are horror and platformers but that's not the point. It's good enough for you but as a massive Metal Gear fan through and through, I have Metal Gear standards and Rising failed to meet them.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Metal Gear Solid 3 is a goddamn masterpiece and I thought no boss could possibly top the epicness that was Psycho Mantis. Then I fought The End which is one of the coolest and most unique boss fights in video game history. That fight can literally last for hours and it is just as much a test of endurance as it is skill. It's a freaking sniper battle. Then also you have a boss fight with the Sorrow which is not even technically a boss fight but so memorable by sheer uniqueness alone. Whoever you killed up until that point literally comes back to haunt you.

What you're missing is the difference in genre. Due to the fact that Rising is a hack and slash game it doesn't provide the developers with the same broad tools for gameplay/narrative that a slower, more ponderous game such as MGS3 might provide. Rising emphasizes quick combat and simplicity of control whereas most would say that MGS is rather lax in the cohesive combat controls department, thus Rising's gameplay has to present boss fights which allow you to use the game's primary mechanics effectively rather than creative solutions in order to triumph over them.

Mistral uses dwarf geckos to mob and immobilize you as well as her staff to overwhelm your defences, so you have to evade being surrounded and pick the right moment to sever her staff using Blade Mode to leave her vulnerable. Monsoon is impervious to sword attacks while his EM field is operational and makes quick decisive ambush attacks, so you have to master parry/counter in order to break his defences. Sundowner uses his blasting panels to protect himself, so you must master precision cutting in order to render him vulnerable and make the fight more fair.

While most would say that The End was more engrossing and I was more original, I think Rising's bosses perform quite well when compared to various other Spectacle Action game bosses. I'm certainly happy to put the duel with Sam above Nelo Angelo 3 on my list of favourite boss fights.

Also, keep in mind everyone, Platinum is more than just Kamiya. We're considering what the entire studio would do with the property, not just one man.

DarkSlayer54

I think they may have been able to. MGR seems pretty similar to DMC1, in the sense that the gameplay doesn't revolve around combo's and the player can focus on maximum efficiency.
I also think they would have been able to capture the same atmosphere from DMC1. I have no idea what kind of combat they would of had... a Bayonetta combo system would have been neat.

Dominus

You probably enjoy the hack n slash genre more than any other genre out there. To be honest my favorite video game genres are horror and platformers but that's not the point. It's good enough for you but as a massive Metal Gear fan through and through, I have Metal Gear standards and Rising failed to meet them.
I'd agree that Kojima comes up with neat concepts for the bosses, but they never were really that fun to fight in my opinion. How can it be a test of endurance when you can just shut your console off and beat him (lol). At least in MGR:R the boss concepts transferred over to the gameplay in a more direct and fun way.. And all the boss fights in MGS2 were boring.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I think a lot of the propblem is that people assume that if P* as involved, it automatically means "OUR LORD SAVIOR AND GRAND CREATOR" Kamiya, when it really wouldn't be a default. add to teh fact that most of Platnium are former and disgruntled Capcom employees who left on bad terms...and it's not likely Capcom would bring DMC to them.

Kishido

Hunter
Gameplay wise? For sure, For sure... Story wise DmC wasn't that good as well, but who knows... Presentation wise... Maybe not.

But well... Bayonetta is by far still my favourite game in this genre gameplay wise... and in this gen my favourite as well.

So I vote for yes

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I think a lot of the propblem is that people assume that if P* as involved, it automatically means "OUR LORD SAVIOR AND GRAND CREATOR" Kamiya, when it really wouldn't be a default. add to teh fact that most of Platnium are former and disgruntled Capcom employees who left on bad terms...and it's not likely Capcom would bring DMC to them.

That's why it's a hypothetical question.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
What you're missing is the difference in genre. Due to the fact that Rising is a hack and slash game it doesn't provide the developers with the same broad tools for gameplay/narrative that a slower, more ponderous game such as MGS3 might provide. Rising emphasizes quick combat and simplicity of control whereas most would say that MGS is rather lax in the cohesive combat controls department, thus Rising's gameplay has to present boss fights which allow you to use the game's primary mechanics effectively rather than creative solutions in order to triumph over them.

Mistral uses dwarf geckos to mob and immobilize you as well as her staff to overwhelm your defences, so you have to evade being surrounded and pick the right moment to sever her staff using Blade Mode to leave her vulnerable. Monsoon is impervious to sword attacks while his EM field is operational and makes quick decisive ambush attacks, so you have to master parry/counter in order to break his defences. Sundowner uses his blasting panels to protect himself, so you must master precision cutting in order to render him vulnerable and make the fight more fair.

While most would say that The End was more engrossing and I was more original, I think Rising's bosses perform quite well when compared to various other Spectacle Action game bosses. I'm certainly happy to put the duel with Sam above Nelo Angelo 3 on my list of favourite boss fights.

Also, keep in mind everyone, Platinum is more than just Kamiya. We're considering what the entire studio would do with the property, not just one man.
Do you just not get why I say P* doesn't get Metal Gear? It doesn't matter if it's a different genre. Rising still carries the Metal Gear name. P* has always been about all "all style and no substance." That is the defining theme throughout every aspect of this game. While Metal Gear has always had a rather colorful cast of characters and since the older characters practically do not exist here the newer ones should fill that void and they sure as hell don't as they are all very uninteresting and not well developed at all.

Quit freaking praising P* because they don't know how to make anything rather compelling as every single one of their games never go beyond the decent mark. They always seem to approach games with a "style over substance" state of mind. The substance that is gone is the special Metal Gear substance that makes it so goddamn memorable and special to its fans. The plot can get absurd but the overall deliverance stays in the kiddie pool. Even the overall combat of Rising is not as deep as P*'s own Bayonetta which I am not particularly a fan of but, I did have more fun with it.

I started replaying hack n slashers like Ninja Gaiden for X-Box and that PS2 title Shinobi again. I'm having more fun with those than I did with Rising. Even by hack n slash standards Rising is not the best I have seen and it isn't even P*'s best. I'm pretty sure I made clear here on this site how much I don't particularly enjoy Bayonetta but even that was better than Rising. This is not a Metal Gear game and also it sure as hell isn't the best hack n slasher I've ever played. The Blade Mode gimmick comes of as nothing more than a little game that looks cool and satisfying but overall had way more potential. You attack until you see the blue sh!t which indicates you can now slice em up. Rinse and repeat. The overall formula for success is rather simple once you get the hang of it.

I know so many stupid fanatical Devil May Cry fans ride P*'s D to ridiculous extents but even I think they have dished out better than Rising and it sure as hell doesn't live up to the Metal Gear expectation. I'm also with any other Devil May Cry fan feeling DmC can be rather easy but I appreciate the overall creative liberties DmC took with the series. With an incredible art direction more interesting that the previous setting. To the overall controls for DmC. It is the most comfortable and fun mechanics the series has seen yet which is why I would rather see a more polished DmC2 and think it deserves to continue. Playing DmC feels good. I had fun playing DmC and I really think they are sitting on something good at this point in the Devil May Cry life. It shares room for improvement but the heart was in the right place to do something worth while. Ambition shows you have soul. Rising honestly does nothing special. It sure as hell doesn't do the Metal Gear special.

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.

Your entire argument falls apart when you realise that Rising was originally being developed by Kojima Productions and if you watch what they made compared to Rising, there isn't THAT much of a difference. The only difference actually being the scale of the fights showcased and you can't say for certain those fights wouldn't have been in the final version. You can blame Platinum for the imperfectons in the gameplay, you can blame Etsu Tamarai for the game's (quite terrible in places) story but you CANNOT blame them for the game's concept which seems to be what you have a problem with.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Your entire argument falls apart when you realise that Rising was originally being developed by Kojima Productions and if you watch what they made compared to Rising, there isn't THAT much of a difference. The only difference actually being the scale of the fights showcased and you can't say for certain those fights wouldn't have been in the final version. You can blame Platinum for the imperfectons in the gameplay, you can blame Etsu Tamarai for the game's (quite terrible in places) story but you CANNOT blame them for the game's concept which seems to be what you have a problem with.
The only thing that was ever released on Rising when Kojima was directly involved was one teaser trailer and the idea was going to be a game that that would bridge the gap between MGS 2 and 4 showing how Raiden became who he is now. Knowing damn well it was going to be a Raiden (even though I really HATE Raiden) centric game I was still interested in it because I trust Kojima more so than P*. Not to mention this was also the 2nd incarnation of Rising. Why they didn't go with the first idea and the game Kojima wanted to make is beyond me.

The original idea was going to be a Gray Fox game. I don't care what you think but a Gray Fox game is the Cyborg Ninja game everyone wants. I guarantee if you hold a vote to see who deserves a game between the 2, Gray Fox would win by a landslide, no contest.

Meg

I think Platinum Games could make an awesome DMC game. I'd want to know how they did it though. Would it take the style of DMC1 but with improved gameplay? Would the style be more DMC4-ish? What would the story even be about? Would it be a direct sequel?

The thing about Ninja Theory rebooting the series is them being free to just go nuts with the story and characters and really experiment. But if Platinum Games made a DMC game, would it be more of the same but better? Worse? Something else?

I guess what I'm trying to say is: would I want PG to make a DMC game? It depends. @.@ But it would most likely, if not absolutely be better than DmC.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I think Platinum Games could make an awesome DMC game. I'd want to know how they did it though. Would it take the style of DMC1 but with improved gameplay? Would the style be more DMC4-ish? What would the story even be about? Would it be a direct sequel?

The thing about Ninja Theory rebooting the series is them being free to just go nuts with the story and characters and really experiment. But if Platinum Games made a DMC game, would it be more of the same but better? Worse? Something else.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: would I want PG to make a DMC game? It depends. @.@ But it would most likely, if not absolutely be better than DmC.

It could also potentially be yet another DMC4 style half-assed rehash and thrown together mess, and possibly worse than how you regard DmC. The question would be, would you accept that it was terribley flaw, or blindly defend it because itw as made by platnium? Because there are some P* fans who will refuse to see any fault even if something is a steaming pile of dung.

Not saying you would, I'm just posing the question.

Top Bottom