• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

With itsuno gone do you think we could see another reboot

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Well i would still pass on a nero only future, just does not click for me. Nothing against others being a fan of him or enjoying him, but i will always be a fan of the series over dante and vergil. They just have that charisma and charm and likeability that nero does not (at least for me).

So if he became the sole protagonist, i am unsure if i would get behind that.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
We have yet to actually see Nero carry these games by himself.
i disagree as he is a key part of 4 and 5's stories and the main playable character of both entries.

thats enough to judge him on. If I didnt click with him so far, why would I want a whole game with him?

I'll accept a solo Nero game but its not high on the preferred options list.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I don't see them rebooting the series again. I feel like after last time, that must feel like dangerous territory for Capcom.

So I think a DMC6 is more likely. As for Nero being the lead. Look, we all know he wasn't popular when he got introduced in DMC4. Ironically though, it was DmC that started to warm the fanbase up to him. Back then, there were a lot of posts in the veins of "Oh nevermind, I'm sorry Nero, I want you back now", and I always thought that was kind of a knee jerk reaction to DmC Dante and stuff. However once DMC5 came out, I dunno, interacting with other fans I got the decisive impression their general opinion on him genuinely flipped. Felt like fans generally were pretty pleased to see him back and they actually liked him now.

I think people's positive reaction to Nero returning proves that he can be the protagonist. The question is, without any Dante at all? I think yeah, it's time to retire the guy. The ending of DMC5 sets up his passing of the torch to Nero and that's fine. Personally, I'd like a DMC6 with Nero as the sole protagonist, with his own side cast (Nico was already a W on that front, she was received very well), and possibly Dante being relegated to a DLC that shows what he's being up to in the underworld with his bro.

Could Capcom do a Sparda game instead? I can see them go that route though honestly, I wouldn't want them to. Not because of fear that they wouldn't do it justice, but simply because I'm tired enough of hearing about the times of his deeds, I don't wanna play through it too. I once would have been excited about a Sparda game, now, not so much anymore. I'd still play it, but, eh, I'd prefer focusing on the future.

Last edited:

windleopard

I don't see them rebooting the series again. I feel like after last time, that must feel like dangerous territory for Capcom.

So I think a DMC6 is more likely. As for Nero being the lead. Look, we all know he wasn't popular when he got introduced in DMC4. Ironically though, it was DmC that started to warm the fanbase up to him. Back then, there were a lot of posts in the veins of "Oh nevermind, I'm sorry Nero, I want you back now", and I always thought that was kind of a knee jerk reaction to DmC Dante and stuff. However once DMC5 came out, I dunno, interacting with other fans I got the decisive impression their general opinion on him genuinely flipped. Felt like fans generally were pretty pleased to see him back and they actually liked him now.
Yeah, I've said that the reboot was the best thing to happen to Nero. It made him more popular among fans without the developers actually having to make any changes to him before DMC 5.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
As someone who liked Nero in 4, it pains me to say that 5 did irreparable damage to his character and they gave him an excruciatingly annoying sidekick to boot. Therefore I will have to side with ef9dante_oSsshea and say that a game with Nero as the sole protagonist would not be something I could get behind.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Nero works better as a team player and mediator between Vergil and Dante. Sticking with the other two is a decent compromise for me.

A bigger issue is potential plots. DMC never mastered the case of the week structure. The only story they excelled at is Dante versus Vergil. Even the reboot suffers this problem.

Here's hoping DMC6 can introduce another memorable villian.

As someone who liked Nero in 4, it pains me to say that 5 did irreparable damage to his character and they gave him an excruciatingly annoying sidekick to boot. Therefore I will have to side with ef9dante_oSsshea and say that a game with Nero as the sole protagonist would not be something I could get behind.
They turned him into DmC Dante

windleopard

They turned him into DmC Dante
Aside from the hair cut and dropping the f-bomb a few times, he really isn't that much like Reboot Dante.

Nero works better as a team player and mediator between Vergil and Dante. Sticking with the other two is a decent compromise for me.

A bigger issue is potential plots. DMC never mastered the case of the week structure. The only story they excelled at is Dante versus Vergil. Even the reboot suffers this problem.

Here's hoping DMC6 can introduce another memorable villian.
I think the case of the week structure can work in Trish and Lady spinoffs. Since they aren't going to be the ones doing the save the world plots without Dante or Nero involved, their games can have relatively lower stakes.

What damage?

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
5 was a chance for nero to grow as a character, and while he did somewhat in the finale, in the entire game he gets hung up on being called a light weight by dante in a passing remark and behaves like a moody child.

He should have matured by now, and yet he is still just as big of a whiny man child or possibly even worse. At least in 4 it could be explained that it was his love interest at risk. Dante in 3 had much more natural progression and maturity by the later half than he did in the opening. The writers may have done nero an injustice in that regard, but either way i just can't see myself liking him as the sole and only lead character.

His gameplay is pretty good, but these games are about story too. Nero is just not compelling and likeable enough to take over fully for me. New writers could change that, i would love it if they did. As it stands though, i would pass up on it.

windleopard

5 was a chance for nero to grow as a character, and while he did somewhat in the finale, in the entire game he gets hung up on being called a light weight by dante in a passing remark and behaves like a moody child.

He should have matured by now, and yet he is still just as big of a whiny man child or possibly even worse. At least in 4 it could be explained that it was his love interest at risk. Dante in 3 had much more natural progression and maturity by the later half than he did in the opening. The writers may have done nero an injustice in that regard, but either way i just can't see myself liking him as the sole and only lead character.

His gameplay is pretty good, but these games are about story too. Nero is just not compelling and likeable enough to take over fully for me. New writers could change that, i would love it if they did. As it stands though, i would pass up on it.
Nero only starts acting moody towards the final mission when he has to deal with Vergil. He's pretty restrained for most of the story, especially considering he lost an arm to a stranger he was being kind to and far more mature than Dante was in for most of 3 and 4.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
That may be your take on it, but for me and many others

He was focusing on something trivial for a lot of the campaign, like a p*ssed off teenager.

Also dante went from being a party animal, to finding his humanity and his cause in 3. In 4, he was just having fun and that was nero's story anyway.

I respect your take from 5, but that is the beauty of opinions being widespread. I think in 5 nero was a wasted oppurtunity for real character progression and gaining traits to change the minds of people who were not fans of his beforehand. While they may have reached some and turned them to his side, they didn't for plenty too at the same time. Throughout 5 outside of his gameplay and bossfights where he has fun, he has a tone and attitude in the majority of scenes. He is in his 20s now, and has been through enough that the immature moany stuff should be gone.

windleopard

That may be your take on it, but for me and many others

He was focusing on something trivial for a lot of the campaign, like a p*ssed off teenager.

There's memes and there's what actually happened in the game. Many others also disagree with you.
Also dante went from being a party animal, to finding his humanity and his cause in 3. In 4, he was just having fun and that was nero's story anyway.

I respect your take from 5, but that is the beauty of opinions being widespread. I think in 5 nero was a wasted oppurtunity for real character progression and gaining traits to change the minds of people who were not fans of his beforehand. While they may have reached some and turned them to his side, they didn't for plenty too at the same time. Throughout 5 outside of his gameplay and bossfights where he has fun, he has a tone and attitude in the majority of scenes. He is in his 20s now, and has been through enough that the immature moany stuff should be gone.
We'll agree to disagree. In my view, Dante regresses far worse than Nero and for far less justification. With the way he acts in 4 and 5, the events of 1 may as well have never happened. The Dante in 1, the anime or even 2 were better examples of a mature Dante since they actually seemed like they took things seriously and didn't feel the need to undermine the severity of a situation with incessant humor.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Ya that is fair enough, as i said everyone will have their own opinion which is cool (y)

Also for clarification what i mean by immaturity in the case of Nero , is him acting like he is going through puberty still and having an attitude and tone when speaking and being hung up on stupid things. Dante is immature in the fact of not taking things seriously which i agree with. Though at the same time he does not b*tch and moan about things and is serious when he needs to be. If Dante moaned and whined and had an attitude, i would dislike him too.

As i said previously, i just don't like that character trait in any character. It is not limited to just nero.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm more interested in a fresh new cast but if we keep the current cast, I'd push Vergil as the central focus.

His potential redemption arc and growing pains working with the others is what im interested in seeing. Sadly none of the other characters have anything left to offer for me. By the end of 5 everyone is super tired or never found their footing.

Here's hoping Netflix's take can recapture that spark that 3 had. Who knows, maybe they will do a version of Nero and Patty that Id actually like.

;)

Im still hoping DMC6 can wow me but i need to see a trailer first.

Last edited:
I'm more interested in a fresh new cast but if we keep the current cast, I'd push Vergil as the central focus.

His potential redemption arc and growing pains working with the others is what im interested in seeing. Sadly none of the other characters have anything left to offer for me. By the end of 5 everyone is super tired or never found their footing.

Here's hoping Netflix's take can recapture that spark that 3 had. Who knows, maybe they will do a version of Nero and Patty that Id actually like.

;)

Im still hoping DMC6 can wow me but i need to see a trailer first.
Do you get paid to have the most normie textbook opinion ever?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
With the way he acts in 4 and 5, the events of 1 may as well have never happened. The Dante in 1, the anime or even 2 were better examples of a mature Dante since they actually seemed like they took things seriously and didn't feel the need to undermine the severity of a situation with incessant humor.

I'll have to disagree about 5. He very much showed seriousness when the situation called for it. I don't remember disproportionate and over the top jokes when he was getting dogged by Urizen, or when he had to spill the beans to Nero, or when he was trying to reach out to what little was left of Urizen's humanity in the pocket dimension or whatever that was.

And his motivation throughout the whole game spelled the same empathy and maturity he showed in 1, trying his damnest to handle everything himself risking his life (especially at the beginning when he wasn't nearly powerful enough to face Urizen even with help) just to spare Nero the act of killing his own father.

Top Bottom