• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Will DMC 4: SE sell well?

scionicspectre

Another more dreadful question you could ask is if any amount of money would convince Capcom to continue either series. It could well be that Capcom isn't planning to pursue Devil May Cry in any fashion regardless of sales and these releases are their way of 'breaking even' on their investment.

Of course, if they somehow made more money than with the original DMC 4, they'd have little choice but to consider a sequel. Even then, that would hardly help the chances of another DmC.

Last edited:

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
There is one thing to note though..capcom recently sold some of its stock... and with proof SF 5 is coming to ps4... what im guessing is how DMC 4 is willing to make to cater another game...I am sure that if sony or microsoft have the rights they are waiting to see the outcome on how to move forward with the franchise...well its my input...but I wont think it being digital will hurt it on the long run because there are fans that even though they are really disappointed that its not coming out with a physical release they hate DmC so much that they wouldn't care and still buy it to see it succeed... I mean the games announcement took the spotlight from DmC the second it was showed...also it is good to note that the game will be released the week of E3...so I know im just over thinking things but I guess its not just a coincidence?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
There is one thing to note though..capcom recently sold some of its stock... and with proof SF 5 is coming to ps4... what im guessing is how DMC 4 is willing to make to cater another game...I am sure that if sony or microsoft have the rights they are waiting to see the outcome on how to move forward with the franchise...well its my input...but I wont think it being digital will hurt it on the long run because there are fans that even though they are really disappointed that its not coming out with a physical release they hate DmC so much that they wouldn't care and still buy it to see it succeed... I mean the games announcement took the spotlight from DmC the second it was showed...also it is good to note that the game will be released the week of E3...so I know im just over thinking things but I guess its not just a coincidence?

Street Fighter is a whole other monster compared to DMC as a series. It's one of Capcom's biggest cows so of course that did well. The problem with DMC4: Se's case is that it's a series that's lying in the pit of a genre that's not as popular anymore. At best, Capcom would probably hope for sales in the millions for these SE for there to be a continuation. If not, then that'll probably be it for both series.

You are right on the digital release though. This is post DmC, and fans are desperate. They'll fly to the PS4 store and download in the hundreds. But whether the 100's will be enough to break a million for Capcom is another story.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I think it will sell well considering the genre it belongs to, and the franchise.

I believe the main reasons are the fact that it is classic DMC, which fans have been wanting a return since 2010, and, as said somewhere earlier, the content it offers blinks to a wider audience than DmC DE, and it's more substantial for those people.

The only things I can think of that will be obstacles are the fact that it's a hack and slash (not so popular genre), there is a fair amount of people who hated the original game and most likely won't by the SE, and the most anticipated game of 2015 is coming out in May (The Witcher 3), so people may be too much into that to pay attention to DMC4 SE, I dunno.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I think it will sell moderately well.
But considering the fact that it is indeed an old game and does recycle levels without new ones (as far as we know at this point), I think a lot of people will reconsider buying it. Especially the people who played the game at it's original release and play more casuallly. For the hardcore front the 3 new characters might be a good reason to get the game again.

I think it all depends on how Capcom will do it's marketing concerning the game. If they play their cards right and announce DMC5 or something I'd say more people will buy it, but as it stands I don't think it will sell half as much as the original game.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I think it will be selling less than 1 million.
Hmmm... I don't know if I agree or disagree. Usually I have an opinion but to be honest I don't know how this will turn out. I want you to be wrong but I don't have enough information to make a guess. The petition is about to hit a thou and people here are excited as all hell but none of that equates to real numbers. It's internet numbers and they are hardly indicative or real potential sales figures. My guesses, while not perfect, kinda hit here and there, more often than not, but I am so uncertain about this title I can't even guess.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Independent of sales, i'd say, If DMC4 flops, we can kiss DMC franchise goodbye. Since NT confirmed not planning DmC2 anytime soon, I think DMC ends up like Darkstalkers if DMC4 bombs.

Jyrro

Well, I think there is two points to discuss on this topic :
Why do Capcom use Digital Copy outside Japan ? or why do Capcom use Physical Copy inside Japan ?
It's basicly the different mindest of japanese culture which prefere physical retail rather than digital. And I can suggest that Capcom Marketing Surveys show that Digital Game consumtion is a thing in occidental countries.

Second point for Capcom may also be, not the volume but the value. Digital Copy give Capcom more money than printing CD, send them to all local stores etc...
I'll point out also that PS4/One are new consoles and perhapse the number of owners is not important enough to make a sequel of a serie sells well in physical copy (that's why other company create new name to new console generation i think, like bloodborn).

I personnaly think that Dead Rising 3, Phoenix Wright 5, DmC: DE and RE:R2 were great testing campaign for Capcom.
I think DMC4:SE will be profitable to Capcom, and fulfill their marketing expectations.

(and sorry for the grammar)

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Well, I think there is two points to discuss on this topic :
Why do Capcom use Digital Copy outside Japan ? or why do Capcom use Physical Copy inside Japan ?
It's basicly the different mindest of japanese culture which prefere physical retail rather than digital. And I can suggest that Capcom Marketing Surveys show that Digital Game consumtion is a thing in occidental countries.

Second point for Capcom may also be, not the volume but the value. Digital Copy give Capcom more money than printing CD, send them to all local stores etc...
I'll point out also that PS4/One are new consoles and perhapse the number of owners is not important enough to make a sequel of a serie sells well in physical copy (that's why other company create new name to new console generation i think, like bloodborn).

I personnaly think that Dead Rising 3, Phoenix Wright 5, DmC: DE and RE:R2 were great testing campaign for Capcom.
I think DMC4:SE will be profitable to Capcom, and fulfill their marketing expectations.

(and sorry for the grammar)
10aafd1949cd4feeeab533bed0d32568.jpg

Judge

Digital copies mean that Capcom makes profit from every copy of DMC4 sold.

They can't lose money from preowned sales, which I think might have been a big reason for the decision of a digital only release.

scionicspectre

They also can't lose money from printing copies of the game that won't sell. Nintendo used to actually pay developers based on the cartridges made, not on how many were sold, which was part of what made developers flock to their platform in the N64 era. That kind of behavior is now a pretty big risk.

Depending on how much they're paying to print discs and box the game, they could be negating an actual sale for every 10 or 20 copies sitting on the shelf. In Japan, it's easy to say, "hey, they'll be buying it like this." In the west, they really don't know how much they could be losing. I'm sure this conversation has been had a thousand times already, so this isn't news to anyone.

Essentially, I'd say there's a difference in between pure greed and trying to make decent sales, and sometimes a physical release could cause unacceptable losses. Even in their situation, however, I think doing a limited physical release for people who really want it would make sense. Just sell it online and only print as many copies as are sold- done deal.

Top Bottom