• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why the Yamato is the way it is in DmC

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I believe ANY game can have a good story, or at least a enjoyable one regardless of the genre, FPS like the Bioshock series, H&S like DMC1,DmC and maybe Darksiders,cover-shooters like Uncharted and platformers like Jak or Ratchet and Clank are pretty good examples of not amazing-yet-well-put stories in several genres

Again, this is all in my opinion, but Im sure you can find some of your own examples within your favorites genres

That's exactly the thing here, Fran: i enjoy DMC stories, i like the characters a lot (Dante and Vergil are among my favourite characters from all videogame story, along with X and Big Boss, for example), i like the context and the morals behind it, i like Dante's family issues, i like his " funny uncle" acting towards Nero in DMC4, his over-the-top action moments in DMC3, i like how he express his personality and how he endured a ****ed life with no one around to care for him and he still smiles, jokes and party in every situation he can do it. I enjoy DMC story and plot too, even if they are much less "deeper" or complex as another franchises that i love like MGS, i know if i'm looking to a story-driven game i should look into different genres and franchises. In the end of the day this comes to a difference of what you value more and enjoy seeing in a videogame. I don't like DmC context, story, morals, characters; therefore i don't find the story to be enjoyable as for the most part of the game i feel disgust towards Dante and Vergil's acts, even with all the plot going on that abortion scene was not enjoyable to me at all, later in the game i was able to even laugh at Dante using it to provoke Mundus because i realized how the writters tried to take this story in a serious manner but ended creating a thing in the same level of the previous DMCs but with a more social tone.

Zey

I came here to laugh at you.
:/ I think I answered the question, it looks fine to me, and it looks pretty much like the picture of the weapon I posted.

You did nothing though. Search for the complete model in-game.
They also get stuck in the sheath. How much help is it when you can't draw your sword? If you don't have to yank too hard on the sword, you're ready for the fight even faster. That's one thing I like about a lot of western style swords, you don't have to hold the sheath in order to get the sword out. It's much smoother. This is why I said they were being more realistic. The design really doesn't matter. The function does. And since a lot of physical activities teach to conserve energy or air, it stands to reason that the less energy used to draw a sword is going to be more helpful in the long run.
There are various reasons to get stuck in the sheath, but something like that won't fix it. And again, is not realistic, every katana should fit the sheath.

You guys are crazy. Its like saying Buzz lightyear armor is white and green. Do you care that his armor is white and green? No so why are you worrying about how a weapon look in a video game. You cant even see most of the time because your too busy killing demons. When i play video games I look at the enemies im killing i dont stare at the weapon im using. You dudes are crazy man. This is worse than the argument of Dante's hair being black. At least that was noticeable. An average Joe that would start playing this game wouldnt even notice how Vergil's sword looks like.

If the design is ugly yes, is a good complaint. Artistic choices are part of the overall outcome, sorry for not being conformist.

That's exactly the thing here, Fran: i enjoy DMC stories, i like the characters a lot (Dante and Vergil are among my favourite characters from all videogame story, along with X and Big Boss, for example), i like the context and the morals behind it, i like Dante's family issues, i like his " funny uncle" acting towards Nero in DMC4, his over-the-top action moments in DMC3, i like how he express his personality and how he endured a ****** life with no one around to care for him and he still smiles, jokes and party in every situation he can do it. I enjoy DMC story and plot too, even if they are much less "deeper" or complex as another franchises that i love like MGS, i know if i'm looking to a story-driven game i should look into different genres and franchises. In the end of the day this comes to a difference of what you value more and enjoy seeing in a videogame. I don't like DmC context, story, morals, characters; therefore i don't find the story to be enjoyable as for the most part of the game i feel disgust towards Dante and Vergil's acts, even with all the plot going on that abortion scene was not enjoyable to me at all, later in the game i was able to even laugh at Dante using it to provoke Mundus because i realized how the writters tried to take this story in a serious manner but ended creating a thing in the same level of the previous DMCs but with a more social tone.

I see where you're going.I still feel this way even now after I played it plenty of times,however,I can appreciate the reboot for the realistic tone when it comes to political aspects and the more development it has,even though I prefer the old DMCs for the amazing action it has,for its atmosphere which played a great part when I saw the games,for the feeling it brought me,and how can I forget about the literary aspect? By this,I mean how it had a lot of elements from Divine Comedy: Dante's Inferno by Alighieri,and since I love literature I took a great liking towards it,of course the names: Dante,the protagonist,and Virgil (In the game known as Vergil,Dante's brother,but in the Divine Comedy he was a poet),the fact the demons represented the 7 sins,Cerberus for e.g. , the quote "Abandon all hope.." in DMC4 etc.
And for the simply fact it made me feel good,this is what matters afterall,if you enjoyed it and made you feel great.
Of course I can enjoy both,but for different aspects,If I prefer one more it's because of my preference towards certain aspects,circumstances and characters of the game.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600

vergil uses that exact same style in DMC3 without suffering a nerf to his sword, although it should be noted that neither of them are actually doing Iaido. Iaido doesn't have the user hold their sheath in their hand the entire time; the sheath is tucked into the belt, and the majority of Iaido is two-handed strikes, although it does still incorporate hilt and scabbard strikes. Iaido is not a one-handed sword style.

Absurd weapons are kind of a running theme with devil may cry, and rebellion is a great example: it's longer than a zweihander, wider than a broadsword, and dante swings it faster than a saber, one handed. In a devil may cry game, the fact that yamato is slightly too long for convenient Iaido barely registers as a problem. It's visually impressive, and the fact that vergil can rapidly draw and sheathe a sword that's almost as long as his body just makes it that much more so. Reboot vergil's sword length looks to be on the conservative side of a proper Iaido sword length, which would be great if devil may cry was a game about using realistic weapons.

Classic vergil's style and aggressive personality is present in all of his moves (double the aggression for his beowulf combos) including the full sheathing after an attack: I don't need to draw my sword again; you're dead. Even the way he yells is full of power. Just listen to classic vergil executing his attacks, he sounds like he's going to **** you up bad. New vergil is practically a mute while fighting, which is very strange for a character whose fighting style is based on an eastern sword style.

Rapidslash and helm breaker are my two least favorite of DmC's adaptations. In DMC3, helm breaker is a two-handed sword slam that just screams visual power, but in DmC, it's a one handed attack that carries no leverage. It looks like if he actually hit anything with it, he would drop his sword. Even without force edge, there's no reason vergil couldn't have just held yamato in both hands and swung it down properly. Rapidslash is worse; the wind-down animation makes it look like vergil can't actually control his own sword when he swings too quickly, causing him to end up in an awkward pose, and he's forced to take an extra few moments to recover himself before he can sheathe his sword.

Then there's new vergil's habit of twirling around like a ballerina while swinging his sword around him. These are not Iaido strikes, or even something as flowery as one of the chinese styles. These are not any kind of proper sword strike, and in some cases when he's doing this twirl (mainly the ground based twirls), he's hitting his target with the side of his sword instead of the blade. I've started rambling so I'll cut myself off here.

TL;DR
Iaido is not a one-handed style, new vergil's attacks lack the brutality and expertise that old vergil had, an exaggerated weapon is acceptable for a devil may cry game, a lot of new vergil's kit looks very awkward.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
TL;DR
Iaido is not a one-handed style, new vergil's attacks lack the brutality and expertise that old vergil had, an exaggerated weapon is acceptable for a devil may cry game, a lot of new vergil's kit looks very awkward.

DmC don't give a sh*t. Past DMC games will give you over the top weapons like an electric guitar scythe, triparite nunchaku, dual talking flaming/wind swords, transforming suitcase, and to this day I still can't describe Lucifer because that is how awesome and creative it is while DmC gives you basic weapons (oh a scythe, oh an axe, oh a glaive...well the glaive was the most creative weapon in the game....still not saying much). Man even the gloves boxing gloves (Eryx) looks bland and uninspiring.

Hammerfist_menu.png

Compared to past fist weapons.....well at least the giant magma fist effects looks cool.

But hey DmC tried to be more realistic and down to earth....har har har har har har!

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Then there's new vergil's habit of twirling around like a ballerina while swinging his sword around him..
CGfk4tC.jpg

Lol'd hard at the way you said it, i wasn't able to play the VD DLC yet (but when i do, i'll remember your post for sure), but from what i've seen in videos i had the same impression, he kinda lacks the virility to swing a sword properly and to be visualy impressive with his attacks.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
CGfk4tC.jpg

Lol'd hard at the way you said it, i wasn't able to play the VD DLC yet (but when i do, i'll remember your post for sure), but from what i've seen in videos i had the same impression, he kinda lacks the virility to swing a sword properly and to be visualy impressive with his attacks.

Since when is spinning around like a dumbass a sword technique.....wait Bayonetta does it too....Bayonetta has the most unrealistic and ridiculous fighting style. Congrats NT you made Vergil fight like a stripper, pole dancing, giraffe from a game you said you didn't want to be like...ohhhh the irony.

EllDawn

You did nothing though. Search for the complete model in-game.

There are various reasons to get stuck in the sheath, but something like that won't fix it. And again, is not realistic, every katana should fit the sheath.

If the design is ugly yes, is a good complaint. Artistic choices are part of the overall outcome, sorry for not being conformist.
It at least makes for less to get stuck. And does it really matter? The Japanese modify katanas, too. Why should this matter so much?

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
Since when is spinning around like a dumbass a sword technique.....wait Bayonetta does it too....Bayonetta has the most unrealistic and ridiculous fighting style. Congrats NT you made Vergil fight like a stripper, pole dancing, giraffe from a game you said you didn't want to be like...ohhhh the irony.

I still maintain DmC would have been infinitely more successful if it had been a parody of itself instead of an attempt at serious social commentary. Pole dance fighting vergil would have been perfect

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Plus the way Vergil and Dante (in DmC) fights with their respective swords seems amateurish especially Dante's (like how he would trip or stumble in the Death Coil combo by the weight of his sword which isn't even that massive). Tripping or even stumbling like that in sword fight would guarantee you a quick beheading.

Meh, I find your argument extremely unpersuasive. I think Vergil is a legitimate badass in DmC, and I'm not quite sure if you have played him in DmC, because you stated you hadn't in our earlier conversation. You often state your words as if they are fact when discussing purely subjective elements within a game. What you may think is bad ass is not what others do. I think everything about Vergil in DmC fits who he is as a person, he is a man of few words, a man without excess, he is the opposite of Dante. Dante is about style and loud big moves. Vergil's fighting style is the literal evocation of the phrase "END OF THIS." . Everything is straight the point. Yelling grunts is wasting energy, why would he do that, Vergil doesn't need to grunt to show how powerful he is. He shows it through his actions and movements. You can feel the weight with which he swings the Yamato in demon mode.

Also, you bring up helm breaker as if its the only downward move he has. Vergil has a move called Stomp you know, which is his heavy downward attack and even with a one hand stomp he makes it feel like a meteor hitting the ground. And I don't know what you're talking about with his rapidslash move, you can cancel that move at anytime, hell you can cancel into rapidslash over and over. You don't need to wait for him to sheath his sword. That's just DmC's way of having taunts for players. There are various ways he sheathes his sword, but you don't have to wait until he sheathes for the moves to be useful.

It's like details are missing here for some of you guys, but then there are too many details elsewhere, it's just like a moving target as to what your complaints are regarding this game's various design choices.

Do you honestly think after watching Vergil in this clip, that he doesn't look like a powerhouse coming to annihilate his enemies?

A quote about DMC3 vergil.
*Although sharing the other reviewers' opinion that playing as Vergil made the game easier, 1UP.com noted how "bad ass" was to playing as him since the character stays quiet during most of the gameplay.[17]

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
strength, no. But all around style during gameplay and more movement, yes.

......Can't argue with that.

DMC3's plot amazing?

At best DMC3's plot is equivalent to Sword Art Online; It's not that well structured, but hey, sword fighting.

Okay, i know that to many people DMC 3's plot is not that amazing but don't compare DMC 3 to Sword art online. Just don't. At least Devil may cry 3 had character development for dante even though the execution is kinda weak. Sword art online had NONE of that. The main character is by no means interesting and a straight gary stu and the main heroine is a mary sue turned into a damsell in distress. Princess peach is even better than Asuna.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
......Can't argue with that.

Okay, i know that to many people DMC 3's plot is not that amazing but don't compare DMC 3 to Sword art online. Just don't. At least Devil may cry 3 had character development for dante even though the execution is kinda weak. Sword art online had NONE of that. The main character is by no means interesting and a straight gary stu and the main heroine is a mary sue turned into a damsell in distress. Princess peach is even better than Asuna.

What? I thought Sword art online was a okay anime despite a few flaws.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Hammerfist_menu.png

Compared to past fist weapons.....well at least the giant magma fist effects looks cool.

But hey DmC tried to be more realistic and down to earth....har har har har har har!

Hammerfist and Eryx aren't really the same. hammerfist are what you use to slam into the ground and are more organic looking with the biomass. Eryx are more hard metal melted into fist with fire on it.

The only real comparisons is that they're big hulk hands. Though I made the comparison in a thread, I discovered that they're only the same in looks, and not in actual gameplay.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Hammerfist and Eryx aren't really the same. hammerfist are what you use to slam into the ground and are more organic looking with the biomass. Eryx are more hard metal melted into fist with fire on it.

The only real comparisons is that they're big hulk hands. Though I made the comparison in a thread, I discovered that they're only the same in looks, and not in actual gameplay.

I was talking more about design and not usage. I know they're not the same in usage considering the 2 games aren't really similar.

However I used to Hammerfist to help classify Eryx as generic "hulk hands" as you stated (minus generic) because well they're generic hulk hands.

Top Bottom