• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why the Yamato is the way it is in DmC

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
A simple design change/choice can mean a lot. Making a weapon lighter makes it easier to use or making a weapon easier to draw makes it easier to use or pull of quick draws in perfect succession.

Its practically putting on training wheels.

Ahhh...yes the NT DmC forums, practically the last safe haven for DmC fans (maybe this one too).

Idiocy comes in all shapes and forms my friend.
I have'nt joined yet, but I've been following the forums there for awhile. Hardly any threads get closed.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
And no, dont BS me on how amazing Dante's motivations were in DMC3, he was basically going to a party until Lady made him (For some weird reason since they had absolutely no real contact or communication) change his mind and protect the human world from Vergil

DAT self-denial.

6tp1gia.png

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Well this forum has more than 3x the amount of the members and seems practically small at this point.

The amount of members today are nothing compared to the old days. The only reason why i'm still in this forum is because Vampirewicked reach gaming news faster more so than the gaming sites that i'm following lol

Man, i miss people like Chocolateghost and ReRave xD

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
The amount of members today are nothing compared to the old days. The only reason why i'm still in this forum is because Vampirewicked reach gaming news faster more so than the gaming sites that i'm following lol

Man, i miss people like Chocolateghost and ReRave xD

Yeah I'm going to leave this forum sometime in the summer due to well preparing for college (maybe later like mid-August if nothing relevant at E3 motives me to stay).

Durr, I was tired when I posted the original post, lol, but the fact that so many hardcore fans supposedly didn't notice that I misspelled Iaido to Laido does say something :p. Good job Baz, Macabre, and twoxacross for noticing :).

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
Did New Vergil ever cut a hell vanguard or at least just a demon in many pieces without the demon even noticing?
Did New Vergil ever speed blitz an enemy he encountered in DmC? Ala beowulf slaughter?
Did New Vergil can even do what DMC 3 Vergil did in the Vergil campaign opening? Those are real swordsmanship feats by DMC 3 Vergil.

The answer to all is no. Saying that New Vergil is a bit superior to DMC 3 Vergil is a bit too early.
You said it bro. Take my like
thumbs.gif

DMC3 vergil is the best

EllDawn

Soooooo.....DmC's Yamato sheath doesn't cover all of the blade because it would be easier to draw and put back in.

DmC Rebellion isn't as big as the old Rebellion so its easier to use.

So what your saying is DmC Dante isn't as physically strong as classic Dante and DmC Vergil isn't as skilled (in Iaido) as classic Vergil?
More like they went more realistic in what would make their attacks faster. Besides, it's not like it really matters to anyone that isn't being nit-picky about every little thing in the game. Plus strength isn't always what counts in a fight. You trip, you're still screwed no matter what you are. It's the same with the weapon. If you lose it, you're still vulnerable.

Edit: In case you say something about it not being realistic, I'll tell you what I meant. In a fight, the least energy you have the use the better. If you have to use extra energy just to draw a sword or swing it, that's wasted energy. In DMC3 Dante and Vergil proved they could be tired out. It's better to preserve energy rather than use it needlessly which is how the rebooted swords are more realistic. I never did see the point of having a sword that was as big is a shield and probably ten-times as heavy. It's useless if you can't even lift the thing.

Zey

I came here to laugh at you.
It's called a design choice, nothing more and nothing less. Just because the art style is different, doesn't change the overal mythos of the game.
Then it's a bad design choice.
More like they went more realistic in what would make their attacks faster

Faster? The speed would be barely noticeable, the distance isn't large for that. And no, is not realistic, those sword were used in war and they fit the sheath.
Durr, I was tired when I posted the original post, lol, but the fact that so many hardcore fans supposedly didn't notice that I misspelled Iaido to Laido does say something :p. Good job Baz, Macabre, and twoxacross for noticing :).
Ignoring real arguments to focus on misspelling (that you did first) isn't very nice, is funny too read "many" and "hardcore fans", worst since you're the creator of the thread itself.

All of this doesn't answer everything though. No one has mention why the steel isn't sharped at all or why the curvature and the edge are so "irregular". It looks very bland overall (like it was some weird machete fused with a katana).

Then it's a bad design choice.

Faster? The speed would be barely noticeable, the distance isn't large for that. And no, is not realistic, those sword were used in war and they fit the sheath.

Ignoring real arguments to focus on misspelling (that you did first) isn't very nice, is funny too read "many" and "hardcore fans", worst since you're the creator of the thread itself.

All of this doesn't answer everything though. No one has mention why the steel isn't sharped at all or why the curvature and the edge are so "irregular". It looks very bland overall (like it was some weird machete fused with a katana).

:/ I think I answered the question, it looks fine to me, and it looks pretty much like the picture of the weapon I posted.

EllDawn

They also get stuck in the sheath. How much help is it when you can't draw your sword? If you don't have to yank too hard on the sword, you're ready for the fight even faster. That's one thing I like about a lot of western style swords, you don't have to hold the sheath in order to get the sword out. It's much smoother. This is why I said they were being more realistic. The design really doesn't matter. The function does. And since a lot of physical activities teach to conserve energy or air, it stands to reason that the less energy used to draw a sword is going to be more helpful in the long run.

TheNoHeartedBeing

You guys are crazy. Its like saying Buzz lightyear armor is white and green. Do you care that his armor is white and green? No so why are you worrying about how a weapon look in a video game. You cant even see most of the time because your too busy killing demons. When i play video games I look at the enemies im killing i dont stare at the weapon im using. You dudes are crazy man. This is worse than the argument of Dante's hair being black. At least that was noticeable. An average Joe that would start playing this game wouldnt even notice how Vergil's sword looks like.

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
DAT self-denial.

6tp1gia.png

Care to expand on the deep and meaningful reasons for Dante to go to Temen-Ni-Gru? Cause All I got is "party!" and "Wooo!" a and an implied "I wanna fight Vergil"

DMC1 and DMC4 at least made Dante's reasons to fight simple and understandable, he was offered a job, he took it. Lady asked for his help, he went there.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Care to expand on the deep and meaningful reasons for Dante to go to Temen-Ni-Gru? Cause All I got is "party!" and "Wooo!"

DMC1 and DMC4 at least made Dante's reasons to fight simple and understandable, he was offered a job, he took it. Lady asked for his help, he went there.

>your twin brother revives a ****ing gigantic demonic tower in the middle of a city
>a bold man with cancer in his face says he have a invitation to you and talk about your father that even you don't know much about
>you just sit there and eat pizza while watch all things happen

Seems a pretty reasonable attitude to take, huh? It's obvious why Dante goes to Temen-Ni-Gru, he was even "invited to the party", all this self-denial just look a rationalization to make DmC look less worse of a DMC game because "MUH STORY" is the only way to defend DmC in this point, because it's highly subjective to judge a story.

The game shows all Dante's development. You're the one who need to address the **** you state, bring your reasons why it "lacks" and then someone will answer them to you. But you've already showed evidence that you're not willing to admit you understanded the story or you just skipped all cutscenes from DMC3 because the game is so good that you can't wait the cutscenes to end to play more :troll:.

But seriously: there are several threads were i already seem people with the exact same attitude, and in the end most of them sticked with the "IT'S MUH OPINION AND U WILL NOT CHANGE IT". So excuse me, but i'll don't bait this troll anymore and i'll leave the subjective endless discussion to people who plays games for the same reason they read books or watch movies.

Fran0823

>your twin brother revives a ******* gigantic demonic tower in the middle of a city
>a bold man with cancer in his face says he have a invitation to you and talk about your father that even you don't know much about
>you just sit there and eat pizza while watch all things happen

Seems a pretty reasonable attitude to take, huh? It's obvious why Dante goes to Temen-Ni-Gru, he was even "invited to the party", all this self-denial just look a rationalization to make DmC look less worse of a DMC game because "MUH STORY" is the only way to defend DmC in this point, because it's highly subjective to judge a story.

The game shows all Dante's development. You're the one who need to address the **** you state, bring your reasons why it "lacks" and then someone will answer them to you. But you've already showed evidence that you're not willing to admit you understanded the story or you just skipped all cutscenes from DMC3 because the game is so good that you can't wait the cutscenes to end to play more :troll:.

But seriously: there are several threads were i already seem people with the exact same attitude, and in the end most of them sticked with the "IT'S MUH OPINION AND U WILL NOT CHANGE IT". So excuse me, but i'll don't bait this troll anymore and i'll leave the subjective endless discussion to people who plays games for the same reason they read books or watch movies.

Sorry bro, Im not gonna make DMC3 bad to make DmC look better, DMC3's plot is BAD. just like DmC's combat is INFERIOR to previous entries.Don't take me for another fanboy.

Everything you said is true, those are strong points to make one decide to make the trip however NONE of those were actually expanded on, or even shown to have ANY impact on Dante whatsoever, he's just kinda there trying to look cool.

The only moment when the elements arround him start to make him care is after his incredibly forced talk with Lady, seriously, I've seen bad interactions between characters, But Dante and Lady take the cake, even Trish's relationship with Dante was more believable.

Dante and Lady were too busy looking cool and doing cool stuff while saying cool one-liners to actually interact with each other. The trust and "friendship" she shows to him at the very end is as disgustingly forced as Vergil's heel turn in DmC.

And that's the reason why I prefer DMC1 and DmC, to me DMC's plot potentiAL started to go downhill the moment the plot started to revolve around looking "Cool" and over-the.top cutscenes, the gameplay is amazing obviously, but I´m a gamer that cares for stories and me, CAPCOM and most critics agree that the "cool" element in both DMC3 and DMC4 was starting to get amazingly stale.

IMHO I can't imagine anyone over 12 telling me DMC3's plot is amazing, it's like when people try to tell me DBZ has a good, well thought plot...just...NO

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Did New Vergil ever cut a hell vanguard or at least just a demon in many pieces without the demon even noticing?
Did New Vergil ever speed blitz an enemy he encountered in DmC? Ala beowulf slaughter?
Did New Vergil can even do what DMC 3 Vergil did in the Vergil campaign opening? Those are real swordsmanship feats by DMC 3 Vergil.

The answer to all is no. Saying that New Vergil is a bit superior to DMC 3 Vergil is a bit too early.

strength, no. But all around style during gameplay and more movement, yes.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Sorry bro, Im not gonna make DMC3 bad to make DmC look better, DMC3's plot is BAD. just like DmC's combat is INFERIOR to previous entries.Don't take me for another fanboy.

Everything you said is true, those are strong points to make one decide to make the trip however NONE of those were actually expanded on, or even shown to have ANY impact on Dante whatsoever, he's just kinda there trying to look cool.

The only moment when the elements arround him start to make him care is after his incredibly forced talk with Lady, seriously, I've seen bad interactions between characters, But Dante and Lady take the cake, even Trish's relationship with Dante was more believable.

Dante and Lady were too busy looking cool and doing cool stuff while saying cool one-liners to actually interact with each other. The trust and "friendship" she shows to him at the very end is as disgustingly forced as Vergil's heel turn in DmC.

And that's the reason why I prefer DMC1 and DmC, to me DMC's plot potentiAL started to go downhill the moment the plot started to revolve around looking "Cool" and over-the.top cutscenes, the gameplay is amazing obviously, but I´m a gamer that cares for stories and me, CAPCOM and most critics agree that the "cool" element in both DMC3 and DMC4 was starting to get amazingly stale.

IMHO I can't imagine anyone over 12 telling me DMC3's plot is amazing, it's like when people try to tell me DBZ has a good, well thought plot...just...NO

DMC3's plot amazing?

At best DMC3's plot is equivalent to Sword Art Online; It's not that well structured, but hey, sword fighting. I'd rather replay DMC1 then DMC3 in action, because DMC3 relies too much on its action cutscenes to cover up for a less then really intresting plot. Sure it goes fine for now, but after a while it gets repetitive and pretty lazy. But no one wants to see such because "ITS DMC3 AN ITS THE BEST DMC EVA!"

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3

I understand that, but again: highly subjective, "you liking" doesn't sums up for we to measure how good each stories are. DMC ever had simple and linear plots and i agree with you (i think that DBZ is a good comparison, to be honest), even in DMC1, to be honest DMC1 has the more simple plot of them all. The same way you can only imagine a 12 year old telling you that DMC has a sensational story, i can only imagine a child playing a hack'n'slash game for plot and story because they can't understand and see much difference between genres of videogames. You're seeking plots and storys in the wrong place, they don't belong in hack'n'slash games and even DmC sums up as proof to this, and even more, shows how an endless barrage of cutscenes can hurt an action game for the sake of storytelling.

Fran0823

I understand that, but again: highly subjective, "you liking" doesn't sums up for we to measure how good each stories are. DMC ever had simple and linear plots and i agree with you (i think that DBZ is a good comparison, to be honest), even in DMC1, to be honest DMC1 has the more simple plot of them all. The same way you can only imagine a 12 year old telling you that DMC has a sensational story, i can only imagine a child playing a hack'n'slash game for plot and story because they can't understand and see much difference between genres of videogames. You're seeking plots and storys in the wrong place, they don't belong in hack'n'slash games and even DmC sums up as proof to this, and even more, shows how an endless barrage of cutscenes can hurt an action game for the sake of storytelling.

I believe ANY game can have a good story, or at least a enjoyable one regardless of the genre, FPS like the Bioshock series, H&S like DMC1,DmC and maybe Darksiders,cover-shooters like Uncharted and platformers like Jak or Ratchet and Clank are pretty good examples of not amazing-yet-well-put stories in several genres

Again, this is all in my opinion, but Im sure you can find some of your own examples within your favorites genres

Top Bottom