• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why the Yamato is the way it is in DmC

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600

By holding his sword edge up, new vergil is actually being slightly more correct in his Iaido than old vergil, who held edge down for faster draws. Realism is a moot point though; the thing about Iaido is, it's not a style where sheathing your sword makes your strikes better or anything, it's a style about not getting killed if you get caught with your pants down. If you're walking around with your sword sheathed and some guy jumps out swinging for your head, Iaido teaches you how to smoothly counterattack. You can have your sword sheathed and still be "at the ready" so to speak, which is a very neat way to view readiness.

There is absolutely zero reason you would resheathe your sword mid-combat for another Iaido strike. With the exception of showing off (or, if you're jetstream sam, the explosive charges that launch your sword out of your sheath) you will always be better off with your sword already out and at the ready.

Patience. Here's what I have in the meantime, it's taking unusually long to process, but it should be up soon...

great start. Hm, looking closer it looks like new vergil isn't holding his sword out as weird of an angle as I previously thought in helm breaker. Posture still bugs me though

Here is some DMC3 Vergil Battle Footage to compare against my DmC Vergil Footage:
SS Ranking No damage VMD difficulty Mission 1
you need to mix up your use of summoned swords. They aren't just a free damage source, they're a great way to set up interesting combos. Just like dante's pistols, shooting a target you've sent flying will usually halt their momentum (most often seen in bullet juggling) but unlike dante, vergil can launch summoned swords without breaking his attack, leading to some truly interesting combos.

Vergil can pull off some incredible stunts, with his swords, probably my favorite of which is where he obliterates an enemy with three different ranged weapons simultaneously (something only vergil could do). If you watch some of the truestyle entries, you rarely see swordspam just to deal damage. Look up sword hanging though, it'll make you like 10x better

Well, I"m not very good at DMC3, I'll be the first to admit that. Hence, why I only did mission 1, but considering I've only had about 3-4 hours with the game its not so bad.

As for the sheathing regarding DmC, that's what I've been saying all along, you don't have to wait for the waepon to be sheathed, its just a nice little touch if the player is finished. All the moves can be linked easily together with new vergil, which is why you rarely see the weapon sheathed unless you "the player" is actually done, you are not forced to sheath your weapon in any of those attacks.

On a side note, kicking enemies in the face on the ground is way too awesome, why that was taken out of DMC4 and DmC boggles the mind.

Kam

Well, I"m not very good at DMC3, I'll be the first to admit that. Hence, why I only did mission 1, but considering I've only had about 3-4 hours with the game its not so bad.

As for the sheathing regarding DmC, that's what I've been saying all along, you don't have to wait for the waepon to be sheathed, its just a nice little touch if the player is finished. All the moves can be linked easily together with new vergil, which is why you rarely see the weapon sheathed unless you "the player" is actually done, you are not forced to sheath your weapon in any of those attacks.

On a side note, kicking enemies in the face on the ground is way too awesome, why that was taken out of DMC4 and DmC boggles the mind.

I know, right? A ton of stuff got clipped out of DMC3 when they made 4 and it made me really sad :(

Kam

Updated. Just need Judgement Cut/Perfect Slice and need to add titles, I also need to look at some comparisons, might need to adjust the moves being compared.

very nice! I still don't like helm breaker, but rapidslash doesn't look as bad as I thought. Vergil's twirly launcher also makes a whole lot more sense now (I can't believe I didn't catch the rising sun comparison). Moves also aren't as slow as I thought they'd be when viewed side to side, I guess some of them just look that way because of the animation, but some even ended up being faster.

Overall I feel like new vergil's kit is much more fleshed out than classic vergil (who was never meant to be playable, and all of his moves are boss moves) with a more organic combo chaining potential. I'm not a huge fan of some of the sound effects in the new attacks, and some animations still bother me, but I feel like this was balanced out by giving vergil a much more rounded out kit.

Keep it coming, can't wait to see the finished result

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
By holding his sword edge up, new vergil is actually being slightly more correct in his Iaido than old vergil, who held edge down for faster draws. Realism is a moot point though; the thing about Iaido is, it's not a style where sheathing your sword makes your strikes better or anything, it's a style about not getting killed if you get caught with your pants down. If you're walking around with your sword sheathed and some guy jumps out swinging for your head, Iaido teaches you how to smoothly counterattack. You can have your sword sheathed and still be "at the ready" so to speak, which is a very neat way to view readiness.

There is absolutely zero reason you would resheathe your sword mid-combat for another Iaido strike. With the exception of showing off (or, if you're jetstream sam, the explosive charges that launch your sword out of your sheath) you will always be better off with your sword already out and at the ready.
Many games I have played always involves characters sheathing during mid-combat. In Ninja Gaiden Ryu Hayabusa does it if you allow enough time. In Devil May Cry, Dante, Nero, Vergil, and I'm assuming Trish and Lucia - didn't play as them in DMC2 - do it too, except with DMC Dante and DMC/DmC Vergils having more noticeable animations when using Yamato. Raiden in MGR: Revengeance does it when ever you perform ninja run and during his charge in sheath attack. As you pointed out, Samuel Rodrigues does it during his charge attacks and whenever he dashes. God of War's Kratos sheathes his weapons mid-combat with many weapons except for gauntlets and "awkward" weapons like the Claws of Hades. inFamous's Cole MacGrath does this with the Amp. And there are plenty more. Then again, they're games, not real life simulators.

Surprisingly, it's RPG games that get it right, which sort of make sense since they're role playing games. In Final Fantasy XIII, XII, and Type-0 whenever you attack, your characters draw their weapons and leave them out until the fight is over; I don;t list the other Final Fantasies I haven't played or remember for obvious reasons. Whereas in the Kingdom Hearts series, once the weapon is out, it's always out even when there is no danger; expect the unexpected. I think Dragon Age does this too. Mass Effect doesn't really count since there are "instances" and the Elder Scrolls series had a controlled draw/sheath systems which Type-0 also has.

The only time I think someone would sheath their weapon in mid-combat would be if the person assumed the fight was over. Showing off will usually get you killed against someone who's really out for blood. Against an amateur or "fair" fight, it might be okay, but disrespectful in some cases and dangerous to the performer. Against someone who's been in fights a lot, it might not make a difference. And against a crazed killer, it's probably better to knock him out or outright kill him and run as faraway as possible.

Also, thanks for the clarification about iaido.

Top Bottom