• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why judge this game on it's own merits? : An editorial by Mrrandomlulz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zey

I came here to laugh at you.
Just quoting you here in case you decide to backpedal later on.

Don't call others idiots. It's uncalled for. And yes, if you approach the subject matter aggressively or in an insulting manner like you did, then you're usually wrong. I was justifiably defending myself from posts that others had written against me first.

So, you were the one attacking people first but you feel the necessity to defend yourself after that (even if you weren't attacked personally in the first place)? That's idiotic. And no, it's not your first time. I'm not being agressive to you though, don't be offended by everything.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I'm just gonna be very blunt here.

Nero you like DMC 4 a lot and more than most people here so you are clearly in favor of that game over DmC and you're not being fair. No matter how much you try to beat around the bush you are clearly the biased person you try so hard saying you're not. I couldn't care less what you guys like more and I'd actually appreciate it more if you guys would just be honest.

You told me your first DMC was 4. That's what you were introduced to. You base a lot of your appreciation for this series on that and I see that's your particular preference. You like Bleach while a few of us here think it's stupid. I pretty much hate Bleach and think it's a terrible show that's highly overrated. I'm an avid anime fan myself but I have a rather refined pallet. I've seen so much that I tend to enjoy anime now that are unique or interesting which nowadays is few and far between.

I'm also not an anime fan that basically only watches anime.

Bleach and sh!t is what you like. You are defensive because you want us to be more tolerant of that. I don't care if you like Bleach. But don't sit there and try to constantly bash on something that other people like and expect no one to give you a taste of your own medicine. And even though no matter how much we back up what we say you guys hardly listen anyway so we're all just gonna keep talking in circles.

You just said, "DmC straight up copied They Live" (in a negative tone) and called it a day. You didn't elaborate because I have a feeling you can't. You see, I have They Live on DVD. I love John Carpenter. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about when I say that DmC and They Live share less similarities than you guys think. But you people still plug up your ears because again, you guys hardly listen. That's what gets me the most.

And all you did to combat Dragon was to get very specific to try to make the window smaller for the people to talk about something you like more. We can all see through that kind of smoke screen you're trying to cast up.

You want to be truly unbiased then you need to understand the context and also that just because you like this Bleach sh!t it doesn't mean that it's better than something else because, that's just your own opinion. I will tell you straight up I HATE shows like Bleach, Naruto, and Evangelion and have a damn good reason to why I do. I would elaborate why and just hope you understand where I'm coming from. CONTEXT.

Summary:
You have your own personal preferences that you believe is actually better and while you spend time talking all the sh!t you want it's taboo for anyone to have the audacity to do the same to you and you will argue that until the cows come home. You're not literally saying it but that's what's happening.

You're not as bad as some people here *cough IncarnatedDemon cough* because you can be a decent dude to talk to but you do go all biased fanboy mode.

Now, I gotta go finish that new Attack on Titan.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
So, you were the one attacking people first
That's right. Use the old Nero defense and just say it was my fault. An old standby that has never worked before, and will most certainly never work now.

But I'm sure that people will most certainly make an exception this time around because of your ironclad argument.

And yes, you were being aggressive (by calling my argument "idiotic"). You still are, actually. Denying that little inconvenient truth won't make it any less true.

Edit:

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about when I say that DmC and They Live share less similarities than you guys think.
That's not what they want to hear.
But you people still plug up your ears because again, you guys hardly listen. That's what gets me the most.
At this point, are you really all that surprised?
And all you did to combat Dragon was to get very specific to try to make the window smaller for the people to talk about something you like more. We can all see through that kind of smoke screen you're trying to cast up.
Like I said, people can see past that.

EvilX-81

Well Yahtzee is a critic he mainly highlights the bad aspects in video games with DMC4 and DmC his review seems very obtuse especially if didn't catch the joke for DmC at the end. Before he said that DmC had some problems (its easy, lackluster story but the combat and art design was able to make his row boat sea worthy but at the end of the review he sarcastically said he was though he would make his boat sea worthy. He is basically implying if you didn't get it that DmC wasn't sea worthy.

I disagree with your interpretation here. While the first joke was basically saying the "the good outweighs the bad", the second joke was just basically "but the bosses are no challenge/are not not raping me/etc." Besides your analysis makes it sound like he said it was "sea worthy" and then "not sea worthy."

Plus Yahtzee didn't review the same aspects of each game. I mean he mentions the boss fights in DmC because they were bad while in DMC4 he didn't for he had no troubles. He only highlights the problems in games and makes fun of them while briefly mentioning the good aspects. Plus some of his issues with DMC4 could be labeled as petty such as having action packed cutscenes or not liking its style.

Plus Yahtzee never liked DMC since the beginning.

Plus Yahtzee makes excellent points but Yahtzee is the last person you want to go to for a fair review as he is mostly comedic relief and a critic.

I mean if you agree fine but I've seen all of his reviews and he is the last person whose opinion on a game I take to grain. Plus Yahtzee doesn't go in deep with the games he reviews he most mostly spends. Yathzee is mainly entertaining not accurate.

I dunno; he nailed the **** out of Bayonetta, actually noting the annoying-as-f*ck flaws that I barely hear anyone speak about in the game otherwise because they were too busy jizzing in their pants about how off-the-wall insane and otherwise quite fun it is. And then there's GTA4, which if I could give all the top game review sites out there a digital black eye, I would. TWICE.

F*CK THAT OVERRATED GAME.

At this point his is about the only review I take with any level of seriousness, his ripping on 90% of the games out there good or bad actually helps remove the rose tints and hype train-itis.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
review he sarcastically said he was though he would make his boat sea worthy. He is basically implying if you didn't get it that DmC wasn't sea worthy.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The joke
your head.

*Whoosh*

He didn't retract his recommendation of DmC.

The last thing about having his boat almost sea worthy was a tongue in cheek quip because he's thinking the final boss fight should have been harder.

aoshi

Wow, Even though Stylish Nero has compared the hell out of bleach and DMC 4 and explained it not be SO damn similar, Yet he is said to be blindly in love with DMC 4.With DmC drawing inspirations from They Live, is very logical now is it???Also, Ichigo does not have demonic-arm but has normal arms. If we draw similarities jus by the look, Vergil's order mask has the same mouth(with wicked smile) as ichigo's and lets not forget Hollow vergil/Hollow ichigo comparison.Yeah, I know mask concept has been for a while now with movies like V for Vendetta, But "hollow" reference is still from bleach.

Yeah, I think it's time we call Jerry Springer.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I think a sequel/reboot is not a 100% original to be judged solely on its "own merit". It also uses reputation and does not need to build one from ground up since everyone knows it from its predecessors.I am not saying its plagiarism but to judge a sequel/reboot on its own merit(even though it is using the brand-name/brand value of its predecessors), I am skeptical.

A reboot is supposed to go back to start, to do something aside from what people know. A reboot is taking a concept, story, whatever, and taking it back to zero in order to do something new/different. The only reputation it really uses is the franchise title and the basic genre it fills. DmC carries DMC's heritage of being a stylish hack 'n' slash game, but past that, everything is meant to be new and different.

You could judge it based on the previous iterations, but it sort of completely ignores the entire point of it being new and different. Sequels on the other hand, they have a pedigree to live up to because of the number slapped on the end the title, but even then in the end you're playing just the one game.

Like Fran said, It's a bit unfair to judge something on another's merits. Maybe after a time, but not right off the bat; you need to look at what the game itself provides to you before you start whinging about what else did something better. DmC suffered from constant comparison to both what came before it and what it was trying to be different from, even before it released! It's pretty difficult to shake that off...I think it's what caused such disparity between critic and "user" reviews, because most critics did the right thing looking solely at the game, acknowledging the franchise's pedigree, but not exactly using it as a standard that DmC had to measure up to.

Well Yahtzee is a critic he mainly highlights the bad aspects in video games with DMC4 and DmC his review seems very obtuse especially if didn't catch the joke for DmC at the end. Before he said that DmC had some problems (its easy, lackluster story but the combat and art design was able to make his row boat sea worthy but at the end of the review he sarcastically said he was though he would make his boat sea worthy. He is basically implying if you didn't get it that DmC wasn't sea worthy.

Woah woah woah woah. Woah...woah.

That's not what he said at all. "Make my boat sea-worthy" was an analogy for "plug my holes," and he was just talking about the giant bosses being slow and easy. So when the big ol' final boss turned into another gigantic monster, he said "My first thought should no be 'phew, I thought my my boat was about to be made sea-worthy'," as in "I thought this final boss would actually 'plug my holes'," as in "I thought this final boss was going to be tough." He turned his boat analogy into a rape joke y'see.

He's still commenting on the lackluster, screen-sized bosses there, even for the climactic final battle with Mundus. Nowhere did he imply the whole game wasn't worth playing.

Anyway...*ahem* Carry on.

aoshi

A reboot is supposed to go back to start, to do something aside from what people know. A reboot is taking a concept, story, whatever, and taking it back to zero in order to do something new/different. The only reputation it really uses is the franchise title and the basic genre it fills. DmC carries DMC's heritage of being a stylish hack 'n' slash game, but past that, everything is meant to be new and different.

You could judge it based on the previous iterations, but it sort of completely ignores the entire point of it being new and different. Sequels on the other hand, they have a pedigree to live up to because of the number slapped on the end the title, but even then in the end you're playing just the one game.

Yeah, Dante,vergil,mundus,sparda,eva were all original DmC characters and had no connection to original DMC source material....lol.

Also a reboot is not independent of original by any means since a reboot is possible only if there is an original. Else, it is a new franchise.Like Devil May Cry 1 was originally resident evil and Devil May Cry 1 is not a reboot of resident evil. Nor is Assassins creed a reboot of prince of persia.They were different games and were marketed as new games with no reference in names or context to original concept from resident evil and prince of persia. Ofcourse, followers of these games would know this through other sources which isn't so hard to find on the internet. As there is one extreme end of the spectrum that don't want to credit a reboot on its own-merit(Evil dead 2013), I also find other extreme end of it which is rather ignorant of original source material.

you need to look at what the game itself provides to you before you start whinging about what else did something better.

I also said that it is acceptable to have a logical comparison with originals. I also gave the example of Evil Dead 2013. I'm not the one clinging on to "I will NOT credit a sequel/reboot on its own merit". Especially, when DmC uses a lot of elements from its predecessors that its hardly worth crediting on its "own merit".

And, Even though a reboot is a re-imagining of originals and can leverage a lot due to word 'reboot' slammed to it, Reboot still rides on success and reputation of original which can be a big advantage in marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom