• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why Do People Hate DmC: Devil May Cry So Much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014

Thanks to a suggestion that Macabre made, I've decided to post this video here.

I personally think it's neutral in its views, but I also think that at least one person will find something to be "offended" at.

Either way, it's very tame, but should also be brought to light simply because it's the sort of vid that presents itself in such a calm manner and therefore suits my tastes rather well.

Edit:

I don't really care about Devil May Cry anymore, so it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
He seems earnest, but the use of strawman around 2:54 really doesn't help. If your points are evident and well founded you shouldn't need to type the opposing viewpoint in pigeon english ALL CAPS just to make your perspective seem vindicated. All that does is alienate the very people you are trying to persuade.

At 4.10 he goes on about how the game wasn't intended for people who want a deep combat system. The problem with that concept is that the game has Devil May Cry on the cover. If I buy a car, I expect wheels. His analogy of saying that DMC fans being unhappy with DmC is akin to if he bashed on strategy games because he doesn't like them is a fallacy for this reason; if the game is labelled as something it isn't, people are going to be upset when the game delivers less than what the name entails.

In fact his analogies are pretty bad in general. "Expecting DmC to be similar to DMC is like going into a fast food restaurant and ordering burger but getting upset because you wanted lobster." is even more erroneous, because it's the opposite. If you went into a five star restaurant, dropped eighty dollars on the finest lobster imaginable, as you had done many times before, and got served ANYTHING less than just that, you'd be upset.

I feel like I'm whaling on a poor guy with good intentions, so I should probably stop.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
lol no, I'm not. And I'm not his friend, either.

Wrong? He said that this was just an opinion piece, and stated multiple times where Capcom went wrong with the marketing (saying that Capcom was trying to market this as "hardcore" when it really wasn't) and admitting that the combat system wasn't deep at all.

Still, if you think he's wrong, I won't try to convince you otherwise.

EvilX-81

Yes, you should. And you're right, he really did have good intentions underneath it all.

Though I haven't watched the entire video, I thought Macabre made a good counterpoint though. And we can have an opposing opinion without becoming overbearing assholes, can't we?

I mean... sometimes that can be fun, but...

In anycase, I kinda get him on the dumbed down DMC thing. I mean by 4 with the style switch, they'd created these beautiful, graceful, monsters of god comboing who can keep up with all six weapons at once and the style needed to do this or that move with godlike skill, timing and planning, all without needing a third thumb to top things off.This is awesome, while at the same time alienating to newcomers who might not have THAT deep an interest in order to get good at a game and beat it on it's highest difficulty. So they tried to bring back down the skill bar some, to make it easy to play, hard to master to try and grab a more overall audience.

Many would argue that failed on the second half of that equation (though people here have been posting some awesome and skillful combos as of late, unique to DmC.)

They were at Tekken, they wanted to dial it back down to say, Street Fighter, but instead wound up with Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I myself can't really perform J/C without changing the control scheme, so I know what you mean. Anyway, both versions of the series have their good combos, although I'll be the first to admit that DMC3 combos are better.

About DMC4... I honestly didn't like it at all. Yeah, it has great combo potential, but I'm not going to buy the game just for that.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
They were at Tekken, they wanted to dial it back down to say, Street Fighter, but instead wound up with Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm.

Now that's a decent analogy.

View attachment 600

Believe It!

Wrong? He said that this was just an opinion piece, and stated multiple times where Capcom went wrong with the marketing (saying that Capcom was trying to market this as "hardcore" when it really wasn't) and admitting that the combat system wasn't deep at all.

You're right, "wrong" was a rude way to describe it, I just think that his points are ill-founded and that his similes could be better. What's more, my point is that the game being called "Devil May Cry" at all means that people are going to expect content equal to or greater than preceding games in the series, regardless of how the game is marketed.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014

Thanks to a suggestion that Macabre made, I've decided to post this video here.

I personally think it's neutral in its views, but I also think that at least one person will find something to be "offended" at.

Either way, it's very tame, but should also be brought to light not only because of how good it actually is (in my opinion), but also because I really like this poster's vids.

People should make a priority to watch more of them... if they want to, that is.

Edit:

I don't really care about Devil May Cry anymore, so it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.
he's basically said what i've been saying...but smarter...and with a cooler accent

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
What's more, my point is that the game being called "Devil May Cry" at all means that people are going to expect content equal to or greater than preceding games in the series, regardless of how the game is marketed.
Well, he did say that this never should have been a Devil May Cry game to begin with. So, there's that.

he's basically said what i've been saying...but smarter...and with a cooler accent
Heh. He presents his opinions calmly, so I actually found myself agreeing with almost everything he said. Because of this vid, I now think that DmC shouldn't have been a Devil May Cry game either.

Well... maybe if the gameplay had been just as fast (60 fps, lock-on, and so on).

It really does make a difference when you present your opinion in less hostile way, you know?

m100t8s

1- Not the same previous creator for the series.
2- Bad PR from the developer.
3- 30FPS for consoles, that's a let down for the fans.
4- Cursing.
5- The look of the main protagonist.

I'm not a hater, but I think this is why people hate DmC, simply put.
This is as an answer for the thread's title, and for the video, I'll watch it later once I have my free time.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
The question posed in this thread was more rhetorical in nature, but ok...

I now see it as "non-Devil May Cry" only because the gameplay wasn't as fast. The rest are just details to me.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Well, he did say that this never should have been a Devil May Cry game to begin with. So, there's that.

Heh. He presents his opinions calmly, so I actually found myself agreeing with almost everything he said. Because of this vid, I now think that DmC shouldn't have been a Devil May Cry game either.

Well... maybe if the gameplay had been just as fast (60 fps, lock-on, and so on).

It really does make a difference when you present your opinion in less hostile way, you know?
i know. i really wish we all just took a chill pill two years ago and just expressed ourselves in a calm manner, both fans and developers

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i disagree
Remember, the developers and publishers cast the first stone, and they did so intentionally.

http://elder-geek.com/2010/10/capcom-devil-may-crys-new-look-controversy-intentional/
i have to disagree. though NT was acting childish, after the debut trailer fans did nothing but complain. and sometimes, some developers will strike back just as or if not harder. for example. the amazing spider-man. if marc webb decided to insult the classic trilogy the fans would protest the movie and it would have done terribly at the box office. i think if NT took the approach webb did and just not say anything, the game would have been more successful

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
i disagree

You can if you want, but that article demonstrates that Capcom wanted to rile up their fanbase and get them angry from the get go-Oh sorry, I mean that they intended "to create [...] discussion and dialogue". They wanted a divided fanbase, they got it, with the divided sales that come with it.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
long story short: people were extremely attached to classic dante, and the story was left on a cliffhanger with many unanswered questions.

Those unanswered questions were left unanswered and the decision was made to rewrite the dante so many were attached to into a new character the complete opposite of the original, and retell a story that had already been told. They basically discarded their existing fanbase in an attempt to get a new, larger one, and a lot of people took it personally.

Few people had faith in ninja theory too, since they'd made 3 games and all of them were widely considered pretty bad. Things are at a weird place now....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom