• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why Do People Hate DmC: Devil May Cry So Much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Make The Devils Cry

I still love the fact that people have been raging for over three years just because of the new look, and mainly the hair... mostly the hair, okay they just hate the hair, and weren't willing to give the game a try because of that. Meanwhile you have the more well thought out people who may have disliked the game due to actual reasons, and can support their arguments without using the without having to throw an absolute fit, or mention the hair.
HAIR!!!

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
The one thing remains certain:

Even if you didn't like DmC: Devil May Cry, the art-direction and music production were beyond amazing.
*Cough* I sorta didn't like the music too much *hides in a corner in fear*

EDIT: and the guy in the video sounded like a sweetheart. But yeah honestly, Kam's post pretty much summed up my feelings about DmC pretty well.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I dunno. I don't think the developers "cast the first stone" by intending to make a different game. It's not like they said "Ha-HAH! F#ck you all! Take this you DMC fans, have a different DMC or eat sh!t!" It may have been misguided to try and harness that PR about the game being different than the classics for good press, but their intention was overall to make a new game and try something different with the series.

The first to really cast stones were the people who got riled up and denounced Capcom and NT without having any information to base their opinions on. Instead of waiting for or listening to cold hard info from the devs, they listened to so many idiotic rumors as if those were fact, like overheating guns, dial-a-combo, and extensive QTEs.

Fans were the ones who started the bad behavior :/

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I liked the video, still, he answers in this same video why old fans complained about this game being a reboot to Devil May Cry, it was because it had the DMC name and have a very different purpose right from the beggining. As Macabre said, his restaurant analogy was not successful in demonstrating how DMC fans complains were somehow invalid or misplaced; but i understand his point and to some extent he's kinda right: from the start NT said that they wanted to make the game more acessible, easy to play, easy to pull off combos and everything, and if we sum all DmC flaws that old DMC fans points out here it pretty much sums up to the results of that casual philosophy DmC have, it was not an experience we had before with DMC and neither we wanted to have. Still, Capcom decided to make it one addition to the franchise, even DmC's goal as a game being totally different from another Devil May Cry games (challenge, deep combat and easy going story and plot that doesn't take itself too serious).

I agree with most things he said, and when it comes to talking about what's happening in the DMC community he's mostly right. But i think that he will end up gathering some hate from both sides as he subtly pointed out some of DmC's flaws and criticized classic DMC fans behaviour. Still, he was sincere with that video.

Martius

SSSmokin!
I still love the fact that people have been raging for over three years just because of the new look, and mainly the hair... mostly the hair, okay they just hate the hair, and weren't willing to give the game a try because of that. Meanwhile you have the more well thought out people who may have disliked the game due to actual reasons, and can support their arguments without using the without having to throw an absolute fit, or mention the hair.
HAIR!!!
Come on... A lot of people got the demo or rented the game to check if at least gameplay is decent.
Capcom made a lot of stupid decision and let Ninja Theory tell what they want for attention.
Probably DmC would work better as spin-off from start or new ip marketed as "made with help of creators of DMC series".

I Make The Devils Cry

Come on... A lot of people got the demo or rented the game to check if at least gameplay is decent.
Capcom made a lot of stupid decision and let Ninja Theory tell what they want for attention.
Probably DmC would work better as spin-off from start or new ip marketed as "made with help of creators of DMC series".
They made risky decisions, I can't deny that, but you can't deny that a lot of people tried to boycott it just because of the new style either :p

Martius

SSSmokin!
Agreed, although I may not find the change of hair justification to dislike a game, it is how they reacted, and their opinions, and they're entitled to opinions.
I dont think there are so many people not liking DmC just because of hair color. It was initial reaction since it was so striking and visible change. I thought it was not needed and i waited for gameplay, sadly it was not good enough for me too.
Entitled? Eh everyone is entitled for their own opinions. Capcom wanted controversy while hoping that would push the game but instead it backfired on them.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Remember, the developers and publishers cast the first stone, and they did so intentionally.

http://elder-geek.com/2010/10/capcom-devil-may-crys-new-look-controversy-intentional/

No they didn't. Don't talk lies.

You can if you want, but that article demonstrates that Capcom wanted to rile up their fanbase and get them angry from the get go-Oh sorry, I mean that they intended "to create [...] discussion and dialogue". They wanted a divided fanbase, they got it, with the divided sales that come with it.
The fanbase divided itself by being rude. They accuse Capcom and Ninja Theory of being the irresponsibles ones? They're not the ones going around spilling hate and foul language and trying to find every little reason to hate this game just because they must.

So don't even try to justify what people have done. Fans brought it on themselves for being thick headed and knocking any honest reasons for not liking it out for the window.

It's why we have idiots like this in the fandom causing flamewars when we'd all just rather get along and discuss our own positive and negative opinions freely without throwing death threats at each other:

1111_zpsfac7216d.jpg

IncarnatedDemon

Those who are fan of this guy:
DEVIL_MAY_CRY_1_A_Pat_Lee.jpg

Will always point to DmC Dante as a shadow of original Dante. I am fan of that guy above.

And i will til i live not look at DmC Dante as a independt character, because that's what he isn't, so why should i do that when he isn't? The foundation for DmC Dante was DMC Dante but while building him they added different flavors to make him different.

Hate is born from love. If DmC Dante is rebooted next year, you will also dislike that.

That is why i simply hate reboots like DmC. Because they aren't rebooted for sake of something good, but they are rebooted to appeal to a new generation or to change things up to make it look fresh.

However if DmC Dante was a independt character...people would at least have respect for DmC Dante. I simply dont.
Everything he does is like spitting on DMC Dante.

If your not the guy, stop pretending to be him. I look at it like this, in real life people are similar in many ways but at end of day we are all different in someway that makes us different from others.
In real life i live only once (unless i am cloned). So why should in a fictional sense a character be rebooted?

It only serves to replace the original character. And companies have shown us rebooting isn't done for a good reason.

OFC this is all Capcom's fault.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people

Will always point to DmC Dante as a shadow of original Dante. I am fan of that guy above.

And i will til i live not look at DmC Dante as a independt character, because that's what he isn't, so why should i do that when he isn't? The foundation for DmC Dante was DMC Dante but while building him they added different flavors to make him different.

Hate is born from love. If DmC Dante is rebooted next year, you will also dislike that.

That is why i simply hate reboots like DmC. Because they aren't rebooted for sake of something good, but they are rebooted to appeal to a new generation or to change things up to make it look fresh.

However if DmC Dante was a independt character...people would at least have respect for DmC Dante. I simply dont.

If your not the guy, stop pretending to be him. I look at it like this, in real life people are similar in many ways but at end of day we are all different in someway that makes us different from others.
In real life i live only once (unless i am cloned). So why should in a fictional sense a character be rebooted?

It only serves to replace the original character. And companies have shown us rebooting isn't done for a good reason.

If you think hate is born from love, you've got a lot of growing up to do, because hate can be born from a lot of other things. And regardless of your feelings for the new Dante, he isn't spitting on the old one.

And every once and while something needs a fresh take on it otherwise the formula gets stale. Tomb Raider is a perfect of example and is actually what people should be referring DmC to, instead of Metal Gear Rising [Because Rising is a spin off, DmC is a reboot, Tomb Raider is a reboot.] And how does comparing our lives that we only live once have any connections to a fictional character? You make it sound like NOTHING has ever seen rebooted in history. Even Resident Evil is apparently undergoing some changes and has hinted at a possible reboot for that too. You going to accuse that of spitting in the classic games and it's characters if they go ahead with it? I've loved that series from game one, but at least I'm open for change, whether I like it or not.

Btw the link you gave isn't showing up, so I don't know what guy you're talking about.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
If DmC Dante is rebooted next year, you will also dislike that.
Sorry, but I have to disagree on that. If DmC was rebooted next year, I would feel sorry for it not having had a sequel, which I really desired. But that is another thing altogether than hating a second reboot because it's a reboot.
Infact, if another reboot is made, since I have learnt a lesson with DmC, I would give it a try and then decide, on inedependent reasons, if I like it or not. (With "independent reasons" I mean that I will judge the merits of the game independently from the fact that it is a reboot)
Then again, if YOU feel that you can never like a game with another Dante that is not the original one in it, it is in YOUR right to do so. Just remember this is not something every fan of the old Dante MUST do.

On the other hand, I understand that people hate this DmC because it left behind important features in term of gameplay, and I understand Macabre's and other people's points about DmC not feeling like a Devil May Cry game to good players who can appreciate this aspects of the game.
Speaking from a less expert player's perspective, I have to say that I did not feel that strong difference, but I recognize this is exactly because I cannot appreceiate certain differences in gameplay. To ME, this is not a problem, but I understand that it may very well be, and for good reasons, a letdown for other players.

What I criticize, however, as has already been said in this and other threads, is the enraged and immature attitude of the fans who hated it from the very beginning and started to shower it with insults from the very beginning, without even attempting a calmer dialogue. They may be entitled to their opinions, but it is a problem of civility at the very least to state one's opinion in a calm and respectful way. By not doing so, the fans AND the developers gave birth to the terrible division we are experiencing now.

IncarnatedDemon

If you think hate is born from love, you've got a lot of growing up to do, because hate can be born from a lot of other things. And regardless of your feelings for the new Dante, he isn't spitting on the old one.

And every once and while something needs a fresh take on it otherwise the formula gets stale. Tomb Raider is a perfect of example and is actually what people should be referring DmC to, instead of Metal Gear Rising [Because Rising is a spin off, DmC is a reboot, Tomb Raider is a reboot.] And how does comparing our lives that we only live once have any connections to a fictional character? You make it sound like NOTHING has ever seen rebooted in history. Even Resident Evil is apparently undergoing some changes and has hinted at a possible reboot for that too. You going to accuse that of spitting in the classic games and it's characters if they go ahead with it? Hell am I. I've loved that series from game one, but at least I'm open for change, whether I like it or not.

Btw the link you gave isn't showing up, so I don't know what guy you're talking about.
You don't understand. By being replaced by a rebooted character instead of dieng , its quite similar to insulting the character.
Fictional characters arent alive, i know that very well, but i ask myself "How would i feel if a clone of me replaced me?". I would feel insulted or be sad about it.

Imagine this scenario:
You "died" in a accident in year 2100 at age of 6. Your parents cried over you. And eventually ur parents decided "We cant live this way, well request a clone of our son". Because of something u cud not return home, so when u were at around age of 26 u finally had that chance.

U returned home. Only to see ur clone and ur parents loving him.

That feeling...u must have...

I like to think a fictional character must feel something like this or feel insulted when rebooted.
So that is why i look at DmC Dante think "His existence is a insult to Dante".

Now...you say when something gets stale it needs a fresh take? You know what happens something gets stale? People move on to making new games. But it has become a corporate practice to reboot original franchises because it provides a safety net of players who will provide a decent amount of money.
And is Dante the character stale? So he needs to be rebooted?
I disagree and i bet you all money i have that MANY would agree with me on this.

IF DMC gameplay is stale - then make a new game.

Let's look at DmC: Same gameplay as DMC, similar story, similar character.
I thought DMC was stale? Oh right, repacking is the word. Repacking something equals "Something not stale".

I never acted like nothing has been rebooted before. I said "I hate REBOOTS LIKE DmC". That should be evidence of my awareness of reboots and rebooting of games.

And can i ask you: Why am i not open to change just because i have a belief?

Define change please. Is change:

retelling the same story
producing the same gameplay
retelling the same character
the same two brothers

just with different developers with slight different implementation.

No, i am very open to change. That is why i hate reboots. I say "Let old serie die and make a new game who will be spiritual successor to DMC but with DmC Dante as a new character in it".

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

Actually after looking deeper at DmC Dante. he's really not like old Dante.

And that depends on which Dante you're refering to from DMC

DMC1: They're kind of similar in beeing cool and take things serious when it gets serious in some ways, but new Dante doesn't really have the same attitude as new Dante since new Dante's more younger and raised in the streets of anger and death while DMC1 Dante's just been hunting demons on the streets.

DMC2: DMC2 Dante and new Dante are different in the sense that new Dante can have some fun and insult demons unlike new Dante.

DMC3: These two are not alike as people think. New Dante doesn't spew party lines and acts like a fratboy all the time In fact he's more focused on killing the demons and ending all this demon control instead of keeping them around to have a party with and saying "it's fun to kill creatures who want to enslave the human race and have already killed millions, I hope they stay forever."

DMC4: He's nothing like DMC4 Dante. DMC4 Dante's more flamboyant and all talk, while new Dante insults his enemies with no respect and is the first to attack at the closest one.

You don't understand. By being replaced by a rebooted character instead of dieng , its quite similar to insulting the character.
Fictional characters arent alive, i know that very well, but i ask myself "How would i feel if a clone of me replaced me?". I would feel insulted or be sad about it.

But you're not a video game character being replaced with your life forcefully. Atleast you could do something about it since its your life.

Imagine this scenario:
You "died" in a accident in year 2100 at age of 6. Your parents cried over you. And eventually ur parents decided "We cant live this way, well request a clone of our son". Because of something u cud not return home, so when u were at around age of 26 u finally had that chance.

U returned home. Only to see ur clone and ur parents loving him.

That feeling...u must have..

You could return home at anytime. It's your life, and nothing in this world should stop you from returning you to your family. Not mobs, gansters, the government, NOTHING.

I like to think a fictional character must feel something like this or feel insulted when rebooted.
So that is why i look at DmC Dante think "His existence is a insult to Dante".

By that logic, DMC3 Dante's existence is to insult DMC1 Dante.

Now...you say when something gets stale it needs a fresh take? You know what happens something gets stale? People move on to making new games. But it has become a corporate practice to reboot original franchises because it provides a safety net of players who will provide a decent amount of money.
And is Dante the character stale? So he needs to be rebooted?
I disagree and i bet you all money i have that MANY would agree with me on this.

And I'm sure you would bet money, but you also have to take into account that, if DMC had continued on the way it was, the gameplay would change drastically at some point. They've been using the same formula for almost ten years and franclly it can get tedious and boring doing the same algarithims and equations of gameplya over and over again. That's called insanity. After awhile people would either want to try somethin gnew, or quit in general. I like DmC for it's different take on the gameplay. I could care less if its easy, as an easy game isn't going to stop me from having fun with it. Easy doesn't equal bad.

IF DMC gameplay is stale - then make a new game.

And that's another thing; DMC is a good selling game for Capcom and a fan favorite. They know that DMC is a money making game and that they want it to continue making money. So the best way to do that is to make more of the games with the name on it. DmC isn't even that different from DMC in gameply. It's unique and very special in its own way but if people complain about DMC always having deep combat, then I'll gladly bring up DMC1 for how it's gameplay is pretty simple to master, and then there's DMC2.

Let's look at DmC: Same gameplay as DMC, similar story, similar character.
I thought DMC was stale? Oh right, repacking is the word. Repacking something equals "Something not stale".

Yeah, but DmC didn't do the same old same old that DMC's been doing but giving it prettier colors.

I never acted like nothing has been rebooted before. I said "I hate REBOOTS LIKE DmC". That should be evidence of my awareness of reboots and rebooting of games.

Well get use to them buddy, because reboots are gonna be everywhere soon and there's really nothing the gaming fans can do except cry on the internet and make boycotts that will never be filled to the target number.

And can i ask you: Why am i not open to change just because i have a belief?

Define change please. Is change:

retelling the same story
producing the same gameplay
retelling the same character
the same two brothers

just with different developers with slight different implementation.

No, i am very open to change. That is why i hate reboots. I say "Let old serie die and make a new game who will be spiritual successor to DMC but with DmC Dante as a new character in it".

But then people will do that whole "Why does this character have a slightly built character like Dante, and has some of Dante's moves, and has white hair at the end like Dante, and has a twin brother with a katana like Dante, and so on and so forth.

Terrutas

I thought 20 threads on the same topic were enough to fully cover this topic.

And then you tell the "haters" that they should supposedly "move on" when you keep beating on the dead horse.

TheRealDante

1- Not the same previous creator for the series.
2- Bad PR from the developer.
3- 30FPS for consoles, that's a let down for the fans.
4- Cursing.
5- The look of the main protagonist.

I'm not a hater, but I think this is why people hate DmC, simply put.
This is as an answer for the thread's title, and for the video, I'll watch it later once I have my free time.
I agree with you completely. People need to accept change , but I can understand why they're upset. Still , there is no need for death threats that NT received. I'm a fan of both versions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom