• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why devil may cry 4 wasn't as good as the previous titles??

virgil fan

lets just hope that DMC5 do justice and not miss so of the most important thing that gave you the reason to love DMC in the first place.^_^

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Most things you're talking about are insignificant. While I didn't like DMC4 as much as DMC3, it was still great. Things like 'Oh noes, they gave Trish a boob job' aren't going to change that.

I guess DMC4's main problem was that it was too repetitive, and the bosses weren't that great. Otherwise, it was quite good - especially when compared to DmC.

You said that DMC4 was more anime-like... more anime-like than what? DMC3? That's simply not the case. You also said that DMC4 was cheesy - yeah, and DMC1, 2 and 3 aren't?

virgil fan

im just saying just because you dont like DMC4 doesnt mean that others dont like i know that DMC3 was much better then DMC4 still i like DMC4

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Most things you're talking about are insignificant. While I didn't like DMC4 as much as DMC3, it was still great. Things like 'Oh noes, they gave Trish a boob job' aren't going to change that.

I guess DMC4's main problem was that it was too repetitive, and the bosses weren't that great. Otherwise, it was quite good - especially when compared to DmC.

You said that DMC4 was more anime-like... more anime-like than what? DMC3? That's simply not the case. You also said that DMC4 was cheesy - yeah, and DMC1, 2 and 3 aren't?

It was "okay" But Bad by the standards set by DMC 1&3

Repetition is a major part of DMC series you fight same enemies/bossses over and over and still its fun compared to DmC ?? ah come on ! DmC hasn't even released yet

Yeah every game is has anime elements you're right but the themes were different

>DMC 1 was more like an action-horror anime it was just perfect

>DMC 3 was cheesy but at its core it offered Action-packed gaemplay with a decent story

>DMC 4 was awfully cheesy it had Romantic anime elements all just galvanized the series

Dante47

The first Devil May Cry had the full package. It offered unique hack n' slash gameplay that revolutionized the genre.
The atmosphere was perfect, giving you a creepy vibe that actually scared you. The story was also good, with the newly appeared and unique Dante and the looming presence of the main enemy, Mundus. One of the best hack n' slash games of all time.

Devil May Cry 2 was quite a departure. It gave up one huge level that a player could explore for more linear levels that had the player seeing many different places. It also simplified combat, making it harder to do the crazy combos that the first game endorsed. Story was far from perfect, though I didn't mind the mute Dante but other characters needed work. Especially the villain, who was no where near as threatening as Mundus.

Devil May Cry 3 ignored the cliffhanger in Devil May Cry 2 so they could give Dante a origin story. This time, instead of a cool Dante that was suave and funny, they had a more immature Dante who laughed in the face of any foe, not even taking his brother's threats very seriously. The story had a good plot line with a still maturing Dante and a great main enemy. The combat was greatly improved from previous games, giving players more room to perform outstanding combos.

If you read anything I wrote previously, it's obvious why Devil May Cry 4 isn't as good as other games. The lack of a serious Dante distracted from the story, which isn't even a good story anyway. Nero is a whiny character, and pointless considering Dante could easily end the oncoming conflict (but for some reason decides not to). The gameplay is good, but shows no innovation. It uses recycled gameplay from Devil May Cry 3, so it's no wonder why combat is at it's best. The only new thing the game shows is the fantastically designed boss battles. Otherwise, it's just a cheese fest. The plot, to sum it up, is like a anime that makes no sense at all. A huge disappointment.

Seeing how Devil May Cry 4 was a main installment in the series, it's no wonder they decided on a reboot and gave the series to a company well known for their story telling skills. The Devil May Cry franchise has become one big plot hole.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Resident evil !!! I was just wondering how much ridiculous this series can get in terms of story

Every story seems like a rehash of the previous titles i mean C-virus ??? is this all they can come up with ? wesker's son from nowhere and C-virus WTF ?? G virus, X virus, M virus ,F** Virus it seems like Capcom is running out of ideas

they have to understand that every game doesn't need a virus outbreak to make it a block-buster they need to do some innovation i liked the revelations it was set in a ship

i meant more on how the new character was being introduced as they seemed to be avoiding most of the mistakes they made with nero.

Dante47

It is strange they shrouded Nero in such mystery, yet never explain him. Why isn't Dante in the least bit interested that they look identical? Or that his DT looks like Nelo Angelo?

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
It is strange they shrouded Nero in such mystery, yet never explain him. Why isn't Dante in the least bit interested that they look identical? Or that his DT looks like Nelo Angelo?

Actually if you look closely Nero looks like an Asain kid who bleached his hair just to look like Dante the B.A -_-' and his DT looks like as if something is possessing him

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Nero isn't a terribly bad character its just his "Mysterious" lineage which butchers the story

and they sidestep the issue by saying jake is wesker's kid from the get go.

they also gave you the choice of choosing which character to play as which also sidesteps the issue. Nero would have less hate if you were allowed to play as him.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
If you read anything I wrote previously, it's obvious why Devil May Cry 4 isn't as good as other games. The lack of a serious Dante distracted from the story, which isn't even a good story anyway. Nero is a whiny character, and pointless considering Dante could easily end the oncoming conflict (but for some reason decides not to). The gameplay is good, but shows no innovation. It uses recycled gameplay from Devil May Cry 3, so it's no wonder why combat is at it's best. The only new thing the game shows is the fantastically designed boss battles. Otherwise, it's just a cheese fest. The plot, to sum it up, is like a anime that makes no sense at all. A huge disappointment.

The part I highlighted in red is simply your opinion, not a fact. I didn't find Nero whiny at all; he was simply more 'human' than Dante, and finally showed some emotion as opposed to Dante's constant gibing.

People also seem to get their panties in a bunch over the fact that DMC4 featured a love story. So what? Can't we have those in games or anime anymore? I don't see why it would be worse than any other generic story.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
The part I highlighted in red is simply your opinion, not a fact. I didn't find Nero whiny at all; he was simply more 'human' than Dante, and finally showed some emotion as opposed to Dante's constant gibing.

People also seem to get their panties in a bunch over the fact that DMC4 featured a love story. So what? Can't we have those in games or anime anymore? I don't see why it would be worse than any other generic story.

^I think it wasnt a bad idea to do a love story, i just felt the love story itself was badly written.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze

Nero's is unwanted its just simple no one asked for him he's just a BiG plot hole you mean crying and weeping like a bi*h only shows human emotions ??? i don't think so and The only reason Dante was such a bum because the whole game was scripted like a cheesy-ass soap opera totally absurd

NO ! you can't and you shouldn't have these type of stories in Devil may cry NEVER ! if you want it badly go play one of those Romance oriented RPG games there are tons of it but DMC is something which happens once in a devilmoon !

Remember Its Devil may cry not Maiden must cry

Zargus

Do you know how to install true FEAR?!
Premium
I am surprised that people say DMC 4 was not as good even though it sold the second biggest amount of copies in the franchise (The first being DMC 1 at 2.99 million and DMC 4 is at 2.8 million.)

One that was not as good as the others I think a lot of people will agree with this is DMC 2.

DMC 4 had a love story which in my eyes was not needed but I did not mind as it allowed the story to progress as it meant Nero had something to fight for. Also I posted on a different thread that someone said that Nero's dad is Vergil making him a Bas*ard son and a decedent of Sparda. Whether it is true or not...I do not know.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I am surprised that people say DMC 4 was not as good even though it sold the second biggest amount of copies in the franchise (The first being DMC 1 at 2.99 million and DMC 4 is at 2.8 million.)

One that was not as good as the others I think a lot of people will agree with this is DMC 2.

DMC 4 had a love story which in my eyes was not needed but I did not mind as it allowed the story to progress as it meant Nero had something to fight for. Also I posted on a different thread that someone said that Nero's dad is Vergil making him a Bas*ard son and a decedent of Sparda. Whether it is true or not...I do not know.

Because DMC 4 was a multi-platform game :troll: and original DMC 1 was only exclusive for ps2 and DMC 3 was also exclusive until they released the S.E so by this generation's standards and being a multi-platform game its doesn't fair

allowed the story to progress what ?? DMC 4 just fuc**ed it all up my friend it totally galvanized the story-line they even released an iphone port but they didn't even bother to look at psp i wonder why ?

Zargus

Premium
Because DMC 4 was a multi-platform game :troll: and original DMC 1 was only exclusive for ps2 and DMC 3 was also exclusive until they released the S.E so by this generation's standards and being a multi-platform game its doesn't fair

allowed the story to progress what ?? DMC 4 just fuc**ed it all up my friend it totally galvanized the story-line

Not really as it showed Nero becoming what he was meant to be and that was a true decedent of Sparda. His love interest in trouble made him push himself more and become the new hero who will start his own legacy just like Sparda did. A demon (in Nero's case a 1/4 demon) turning on his own kind to save the world (In this case his own faction The Order of the Sword) and the Human woman he fell in love with (Kiria)

And before anyone says how can he be a decedent of Sparda or he is a plot hole, he is Vergil's son officially. Link was provided by 788Masri on another thread it is the third point:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/carbo/b..._devil_may_cry_news_no_new_game_unfortunately

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Not really as it showed Nero becoming what he was meant to be and that was a true decedent of Sparda. His love interest in trouble made him push himself more and become the new hero who will start his own legacy just like Sparda did. A demon (in Nero's case a 1/4 demon) turning on his own kind to save the world (In this case his own faction The Order of the Sword) and the Human woman he fell in love with (Kiria)

And before anyone says how can he be a decedent of Sparda or he is a plot hole, he is Vergil's son officially. Link was provided by 788Masri on another thread it is the third point:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/carbo/b..._devil_may_cry_news_no_new_game_unfortunately

Whatever speculation or whatever facts you may show to prove that nero is a descendant of sparda but in the actual game there is not even a single cut-scense which actually explains who the fu*k nero is

The story is just eh......
images
beyond my sanity i prefer DmC's story over DMC 4's story anytime !!

Zargus

Premium
Whatever speculation or whatever facts you may show to prove that nero is a descendant of sparda but in the actual game there is not even a single cut-scense which actually explains who the fu*k nero is

The story is just eh......
images
beyond my sanity i prefer DmC's story over DMC 4's story anytime !!

Well for starters it is not speculation that Nero is Vergil's son or a decendent of Sparda, he does look like he is related to Dante or at the very least a young Vergil from DMC 3. Also DMC 5 was going to be about Nero and how he is related to Sparda since he is the new guy in the DMC cannon. The reason they cut out that Nero is Vergil's son in DMC 4 is because it would be the base plot for the next game. And it has been stated by someone in that link who worked on DMC 4 as well as being in one of the Novels (The Novels I am not sure about and I know some people do not class them as cannon.)

Plus it give a bit of mystery to his origins as not much is known about him. Also you do find out he is related to Sparda in a cut scene in DMC 4 because the leader of the Order said he is a "Decedent with Sparda's blood." If that is not a hint then I do not know what is.

As I said it is obvious it is a story resembling Sparda as I gave my reasons in a previous post meaning DMC 5 was going to be about Nero cementing his story and legacy as well as finding out who his dad is...Vergil.

And you say the story is beyond your sanity? I get the story fine it is not that hard to understand....but then again I am a bit crazy.

Top Bottom