• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why devil may cry 4 wasn't as good as the previous titles??

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
Actually i thought he was more like batman he was silent,serious gloomy and sporting a dark badass outfit

That's what the problem with the story of DMC4 it actually goes backwards rather then forwards taking everything too much anime isn't really a good idea

Off-topic = hey do you know of a good DMC2 dante mod for DMC4 or 3 ?? i might play DMC4 again just for it the way his coat flows in DMC2 is just epic...

Yeah, BATMAN!!

Sorry bud, I don't know or have that kind of mod but it would be great to play as DMC2 Dante.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I agree with you completely on Kratos. No argumenthe end.

Yeah But Dante's story is so inconsistent from DMC 2 and changing his role would just mess everything up

I think there are two dante's there

1# Original Dante
dmc1dante.jpg
>>>
images
they both share the same characteristics and theme even though DMC2's dante was silent he still felt like the dante from DMC1

2# Animefied Dante
images
>>>
images

he was never really meant to be the Original Dante It really makes sense to me !

3# And Now comes NT's DanteX

images
>>> ????? something like alex mercer from prototype i guess

You've a wide range of dante's to choose from

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
Yeah But Dante's story is so inconsistent from DMC 2 and changing his role would just mess everything up

1# Original Dante
dmc1dante.jpg
>>>
images
they both share the same characteristics and theme even though DMC2's dante was silent he still felt like the dante from DMC1

2# Animefied Dante
images
>>>
images

he was never really meant to be the Original Dante It really makes sense to me !

images

I would choose DMC1 and 2 Dante any day over Animefied and NT's Dante!

ZeroLove

1# Original Dante
dmc1dante.jpg
>>>
images

2# Animefied Dante
images
>>>
images

images

I would take Devil May Cry 3 Dante with a side of DmC Dante and a big Coke Zero, please. ^^

McdD

Ignorant and closeminded - That's me :D
I don't mean to be an **** but DMC 4 Dante is such a copy of DMC 3 Dante but exaggerated more when it comes to being cool for moment.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I don't mean to be an **** but DMC 4 Dante is such a copy of DMC 3 Dante but exaggerated more when it comes to being cool for moment.

Well now this is screwed dude some ppl love the overly cheesy dante some people like DMC 1 dante now that's why dante in DMC4 was such a hybrid clown

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
DMC4 was so corny that even I got embarrassed hearing Dante's constant one-liners! There was not any actual character interactions between Dante and others. It's just I couldn't connect to him and I felt I achieved nothing at the end of the story! He was the same person through out the game, no character development, but I love playing as him anyway. So where was the fault, THE STORY!

McdD

Ignorant and closeminded - That's me :D
Well now this is screwed dude some ppl love the overly cheesy dante some people like DMC 1 dante now that's why dante in DMC4 was such a hybrid clown
DMC 4 Dante was rushed.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I believe it wasn't as good, because:

a) It felt like you had to repeat half the game all over again just with a different character. Same areas, same bosses. That felt lazy on the part of the developers, even if it does make sense within the story to an extent.

b) If you wanted to play as Dante, you only got half a game as him. If you didn't, and preferred Nero, same there. The action also felt rather slow to me (after DMC3), especially as Nero.

c) The whole "rescue the damsel" thing has never really been Devil May Cry, it has always played a minor role... Devil May Cry is mainly about punishing those devils. While I don't hate on the Nero-Kyrie thing - because in some ways it's refreshing to see a character who is not 'strong and defiant' and a character that is honestly in love or cares genuinely for another in a more tangible way - I don't think it fits too well in the series. It feels like a guilty cliche in that way. Just to mention, I have no problems with Nero's character - just because he cares about Kyrie and cries for her is not that different than Dante crying about Trish in DMC1 or for Vergil at the end of DMC3. Devil May Cry is all about emotional response. All the 'emo' comments and hate about him seemed to be as vapid as the knee-jerk hate for this new Dante when we very first saw him. Nero is a strong character, not a weak one, emotionally or physically.

d) Aside from Nero, the newbie, the character of Dante I felt was overdone. Don't get me wrong, Dante is always "over the top" and a bit silly, except in DMC2, and in that he felt terribly devoid because of it. But there were a lot of theatrics here. Some people preferred this mature (but still daft) Dante... no problem with that. I just didn't go for it this time.

e) Female characters. Let's face it, they ruined Lady, turning her into almost the opposite of what she used to be, gave her a boob job and a shirt without too many buttons this time. I liked Lady's character very much in 3 - my favourite of the DMC heroines because she's very believable. In 4 though... eurgh. Trish and her 'Gloria' persona - while I know Trish is a demon created originally to lure and be alluring - I think I'll just echo Vergil's UMvC3 sentiments on how it's just a bit repulsive. And Kyrie is... well, quite helpless and doesn't get much to do. They all feel rather shallow in this game, and that's a shame because usually the females have a strong character arc and do get something to do. Here, they don't.

f) Loose ends. Who is Nero? Why is he such a mystery? Why are we dangled hints that he's a Sparda relation or a Vergil relation but it's never confirmed? In Western stories, people tend to tie up loose ends and explain things and Western audiences like that - and while I appreciate that in Japanese stories there's a lot more unexplained and simply implied and left at that (and I like that too) the mystery of Nero was done in a way that only ended up bugging the crap out of me. Of course that leaves things open for explanation if they ever made another game featuring Nero... it just wasn't 'tied' up in a way that things were in most of the other DMC games, and it almost feels (when you take the novel into account) that CAPCOM couldn't decide whether to confirm what he was or not, and I'm not sure why that is, beyond that they intended to rile or pique the curiosity of fans.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze

>>just because he cares about Kyrie and cries for her is not that different than Dante crying about Trish in DMC1 or for Vergil at the end of DMC3

I disagree sorry if you care about someone you don't have to yell and cry every second to show that !
secondly Dante didn't cry like a squeaky baby it was just two damn tears proving that he too is human

But Nero's utter crying just proves that he'll be always inferior to Dante

>> Female characters. Let's face it, they ruined Lady, turning her into almost the opposite of what she used to be,
How much screen time did she get anyway ? 2 seconds in two cutscenes ??

V

Oldschool DMC fan
How many times/occasions does Nero scream Kyrie's name...? I don't remember exactly, but it surely is not in every scene.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
How many times/occasions does Nero scream Kyrie's name...? I don't remember exactly, but it surely is not in every scene.

I'll just browse through the story browser

From the beginning till the end its a really painfully awful love story of Nero-kyrie they take 80% of screen time i don't know who enjoys this type of awful romance stories

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I believe it wasn't as good, because:

a) It felt like you had to repeat half the game all over again just with a different character. Same areas, same bosses. That felt lazy on the part of the developers, even if it does make sense within the story to an extent.

b) If you wanted to play as Dante, you only got half a game as him. If you didn't, and preferred Nero, same there. The action also felt rather slow to me (after DMC3), especially as Nero.

c) The whole "rescue the damsel" thing has never really been Devil May Cry, it has always played a minor role... Devil May Cry is mainly about punishing those devils. While I don't hate on the Nero-Kyrie thing - because in some ways it's refreshing to see a character who is not 'strong and defiant' and a character that is honestly in love or cares genuinely for another in a more tangible way - I don't think it fits too well in the series. It feels like a guilty cliche in that way. Just to mention, I have no problems with Nero's character - just because he cares about Kyrie and cries for her is not that different than Dante crying about Trish in DMC1 or for Vergil at the end of DMC3. Devil May Cry is all about emotional response. All the 'emo' comments and hate about him seemed to be as vapid as the knee-jerk hate for this new Dante when we very first saw him. Nero is a strong character, not a weak one, emotionally or physically.

d) Aside from Nero, the newbie, the character of Dante I felt was overdone. Don't get me wrong, Dante is always "over the top" and a bit silly, except in DMC2, and in that he felt terribly devoid because of it. But there were a lot of theatrics here. Some people preferred this mature (but still daft) Dante... no problem with that. I just didn't go for it this time.

e) Female characters. Let's face it, they ruined Lady, turning her into almost the opposite of what she used to be, gave her a boob job and a shirt without too many buttons this time. I liked Lady's character very much in 3 - my favourite of the DMC heroines because she's very believable. In 4 though... eurgh. Trish and her 'Gloria' persona - while I know Trish is a demon created originally to lure and be alluring - I think I'll just echo Vergil's UMvC3 sentiments on how it's just a bit repulsive. And Kyrie is... well, quite helpless and doesn't get much to do. They all feel rather shallow in this game, and that's a shame because usually the females have a strong character arc and do get something to do. Here, they don't.

f) Loose ends. Who is Nero? Why is he such a mystery? Why are we dangled hints that he's a Sparda relation or a Vergil relation but it's never confirmed? In Western stories, people tend to tie up loose ends and explain things and Western audiences like that - and while I appreciate that in Japanese stories there's a lot more unexplained and simply implied and left at that (and I like that too) the mystery of Nero was done in a way that only ended up bugging the crap out of me. Of course that leaves things open for explanation if they ever made another game featuring Nero... it just wasn't 'tied' up in a way that things were in most of the other DMC games, and it almost feels (when you take the novel into account) that CAPCOM couldn't decide whether to confirm what he was or not, and I'm not sure why that is, beyond that they intended to rile or pique the curiosity of fans.

lexy here made some great points.

in general i think Re6 is attempt at doing DMC4 right and is succeeding where DMC4 failed.

Dante47

I can't pick any Dante right now. I don't know how NT's Dante will develop in DmC, for all we know he could become more like the original Dante. But if I had to pick, I'd (of course) pick DMC1 Dante. He's such a bad ass.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
lexy here made some great points.

in general i think Re6 is attempt at doing DMC4 right and is succeeding where DMC4 failed.

Resident evil !!! I was just wondering how much ridiculous this series can get in terms of story

Every story seems like a rehash of the previous titles i mean C-virus ??? is this all they can come up with ? wesker's son from nowhere and C-virus WTF ?? G virus, X virus, M virus ,F** Virus it seems like Capcom is running out of ideas

they have to understand that every game doesn't need a virus outbreak to make it a block-buster they need to do some innovation i liked the revelations it was set in a ship

virgil fan

i dont think DMC4 wasnt that bad to me i kinda like it your right it did miss somethings but to me the best thing was the music i love the frozen frog music nero was okay but to me i like his arm the best thing about his arm was the whole grabbing part when you fight the boesses all in all the game was okay to me

Top Bottom