• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why devil may cry 4 wasn't as good as the previous titles??

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I think Nero was just a last minute character. In almost all DMC games, you can play as someone other than Dante with different ways of fighting and different personalities. Nero controlled pretty well at least.

Actually Dante was the last minute character and Nero had the flood lights focused on him and the most annoying character kyrie making this game completely mediocre

Nero was good...... if you take the fact that he cries like a baby :'(

As someone that only cares about gameplay, I think the game was awesome. Nero wasn't as cool as Dante, but they didn't want to make him as cool as Dante or Vergil, which is fine.

Actually the gameplay was great but the atmosphere being so boring and colorful sucked out the fun and ultimately made me fed up of it

Dante wasn't cool either he was dressedup like a jackass and he acted like a drugged-up jack-sparrow

He's supposed to be in the same timeline CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT ??

(DMC 1)
dmc1dante.jpg
Badass and Awesome !
(DMC4)
images
What the ?? is he dressed by a japanese fangirl ??? and why the heck is he 100% white ?? he should be tan because he's a run'n'tuf badass devil hunter not some cosmetic Japanese playboy !

Dante47

When you look at it like that your right. Nero (if he had a better story) would be awesome in a spin off if they fully explained his origin. I feel they should have done that rather than what they did in DMC4.

wallE156

The Devil's Advocate
And more importantly i still can't figure out what was the purpose of introducing nero
I think the purpose of introducing Nero was to add something "fresh" to the scene. While this may not apply to you personally, for most people playing as the same character over and over again can lead to boredom or lack of interest. I like Dante as much as the next guy but at some point you have to move on. That's why I think a lot of people liked Bayonetta. It introduced a new character with a different story line, while keeping the game play similar but not replicating it completely.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
When you look at it like that your right. Nero (if he had a better story) would be awesome in a spin off if they fully explained his origin. I feel they should have done that rather than what they did in DMC4.

I think the lack of clarity on his origins is kind of why people hate his role as lead character in 4.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I think the purpext guy but at some point you have to move on. That's why I think a lot of people liked Bayonetta. It introduced a new character with a different story line, while keeping the game play similar but not replicating it completely.

Lol you get bored so soon dante has only appeared in like 3 games and i only played DMC 1&3 so two for me why do you feel like there is a need for something new in just two games ??

I believe it has been confirmed that his dad was Vergil. I mean, his dad was also Nero Angelo.
The confirmation wasn't really official or else In the Game there is not even a single cutscene which explains who the hell nero actually is

wallE156

The Devil's Advocate
Lol you get bored so soon dante has only appeared in like 3 games and i only played DMC 1&3 so two for me why do you feel like there is a need for something new in just two games ??

I already stated that it might not apply to you personally. But you need to understand that not everyone feels the same way you do. I'm not saying that they should ditch Dante altogether, but I believe that Dante has more potential as a boss character than as a playable character at this point. In the four games he's been playable, Capcom has done a pretty good job of making him seem invincible. And in my opinion the best thing to do with a seemingly invincible character is give the player a new character and tell them to go fight the invincible character. It makes you feel as if you have a goal to accomplish, rather than playing as a character you know story line wise basically can't die. It's kind of like playing an old NES or SNES game with cheat codes. It's fun for a bit, running through the game not being able to die, but it just gets boring after awhile. This is all in my opinion by the way, I realize not everyone shares my point of view.

Dante47

Anyway, Nero shouldn't have been implemented and Dante shouldn't have been just comic relief. The story was boring and unmotivating with bad characters like Kyrie and had a huge lack of a good creepy atmosphere. The only thing good was its awesome combat and incredibly well designed bosses and enemies. Otherwise, it just added more plot holes to the series.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I already stated that it might not apply to you personally. But you need to understand that not everyone feels the same way you do. I'm y the way, I realize not everyone shares my point of view.

I can understand if you're talking about a game like Tomb Raider which has like more than 5 games in a progressive storyline and more than two spin-offs ! BUT Devil may cry is a totally different case it has only two games which actually continues the story

DMC 1 = Which has dante go through all crap and finally seals mundus and its pretty much of an happy ever after ending

DMC 2 = Its story was so badly scripted it just left the dante's future ambiguous

(prequel) DMC 3 = Which introduced a very different dante in his youth babbling around doing some daredevil stunts around and then he learns that he can't be like that forever and finally changes to DMC1's dante as seen in the ending and it doesn't really progress the story of Dante

(Interquel) DMC 4 = It didn't progress the story either all it did was adding more complexities to the existing story/timelines

SO In the end the story of DMC 1 never NEVER really progressed in a healthy way as it should've been so i don't really get how you are so bored and fed up of dante so soon why don't people get fed up of kratos or batman ?

Anyway, Nero shouldn't have been implemented and Dante shouldn't have been just comic relief. The story was boring and uns.

I agree 100% except for the enemy design they lacked grittiness and eeriness they endedup being more hideous and clumsy rather then deadly and creepy although that blind thunder monster could've been much much better if this game had a creepy makeover only if .....

Dante47

I agree 100% except for the enemy design they lacked grittiness and eeriness they endedup being more hideous and clumsy rather then deadly and creepy although that blind thunder monster could've been much much better if this game had a creepy makeover only if .....
By design I meant their A.I.
I also agree that they lacked creepiness. I miss the puppets from DMC1. :'(

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I believe it has been confirmed that his dad was Vergil. I mean, his dad was also Nero Angelo.

Donte was right as this was never brought up in the game.

Well i felt that the problem wasn't really nero's fault as kobayashi and bingo didn't care about making this story work.

Dante47

A.I was okay DMC 4 had the most refined gameplay yet but it isn't as fun as the other and i miss gore !
I was replaying DMC1 earlier and I did notice that enemies bleed. I guess gore is returning in DmC which is great.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I was replaying DMC1 earlier and I did notice that enemies bleed. I guess gore is returning in DmC which is great.

No there is no gore or creepiness in DmC all i've seen is vivid and hollywood style gameplay with refurbished DMC4 gameplay and enemies bleed black goo

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Your profile picture is a picture of DMC2 Dante.
Oh, the irony...

I'm not a typical hater i was just pointing out the Facts only thing i liked in DMC 2 was dante's character design it was Perfect just as i wanted him to be but his personality was way much darker then i expected

DanteDevilMayCry2.png

If he had this attire in DMC 4(unlockable) the game might have been a super-hit just sayin... Its simply awesome !

Its gameplay was shallow it didn't require any skills and it wasn't as accessible as DMC1's in-depth gameplay it had weapons but darn me the game was too easy that you didn't even need to try them

Its Story I wonder what were they smoking when they wrote the script for DMC2 its just plain absurd ! It should get an Oscar for "The worst story writing for one the most anticipated game of the year"

And finally the product came out as uninspired and very weak sequel all they needed to do is to make DMC4 just in DMC2's theme with a decent script writing like DMC1's story

I think Capcom doesn't realize that DMC2's wasn't bad in-terms of ideas it wasn't just executed in a proper way

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
I'm not a typical hater i was just pointing out the Facts only thing i liked in DMC 2 was dante's character design it was Perfect just as i wanted him to be but his personality was way much darker then i expected

DanteDevilMayCry2.png

If he had this attire in DMC 4(unlockable) the game might have been a super-hit just sayin... Its simply awesome !

I completely agree with you in the DMC2 Dante's design being the most Badass out of all 4. He really looked like Devil Hunter, much like Van Helsing. I also liked his personality in DMC2, not the best but it was ....OK. He was experienced and mature so it wasn't necessary for him to give one-liners all the time. The thing DMC2 really sucked was in it's clueless storyline and that coin flipping part!

For me, DMC4 Dante was just the carbon copy of DMC3 Dante, he looked mature but his personality was the same of DMC3, there wasn't any character evolution! DMC1 Dante in other hand gave one-liners but was serious when things got escalated, which made him the true hero!

Dante47

No there is no gore or creepiness in DmC all i've seen is vivid and hollywood style gameplay with refurbished DMC4 gameplay and enemies bleed black goo
Well, they are demons. Their blood isn't going to be identical to humans.
I also don't think its a "refurbished" version of DMC4's gameplay. It has new unique moves, different weapons, and a new Stance system that allows you to switch from Angel or Demon combos and weapons without breaking the fluidity of the gameplay. In DMC4, when you switched Styles, it broke the fluidity and felt unnatural.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Well, thance system thaity and felt unnatural.

IF that's the case then why is sparda more humanoid ?? and why is dante's blood red ? it must be a mix between sparda's blood so that proves demons do posses red blood black goo just seems so unnatural and censored almost every enemy in DMC1 except some of the dark panther ones had red blood

As far as I've seen it just seems refurbished to me its just more aerial with those cheesy-ass camera close-up's and just adding some stupid stance system dosen't make this game unique its just like two styles rather then 4 and they just attached styles to weapons just like god of war 3 pfft

He really looked like Devil Hunter, much like Van Helsing

For me, DMC4 Dante was just the carbon copy of DMC3 Dante, he looked mature but his personality was the same of DMC3, there wasn't any character evolution! DMC1 Dante in other hand gave one-liners but was serious when things got escalated, which made him the true hero!

Actually i thought he was more like batman he was silent,serious gloomy and sporting a dark badass outfit

That's what the problem with the story of DMC4 it actually goes backwards rather then forwards taking everything too much anime isn't really a good idea

Off-topic = hey do you know of a good DMC2 dante mod for DMC4 or 3 ?? i might play DMC4 again just for it the way his coat flows in DMC2 is just epic...

wallE156

The Devil's Advocate
SO In the end the story of DMC 1 never NEVER really progressed in a healthy way as it should've been so i don't really get how you are so bored and fed up of dante so soon why don't people get fed up of kratos or batman ?
I agree with you completely on Kratos. No argument there. But again, I didn't say I was fed up with Dante. I just think we need a new protagonist to keep things fresh. Batman, Superman, and just about every super hero fit into the point I'm trying to make. After one character, Dante in this situation, saves the world as many times as he/she has, you'd think eventually the "bad guys" would just stop trying. I would like to see Dante in a more antagonistic role. Not necessarily a "bad guy" but someone opposing a new protagonist. Or maybe just a supporting role. Personally I think DMC is overdo for a female lead. Preferably one who doesn't dress like a tramp. But that's just my personal preference, I want to put a female lead in everything XD. In the end I think someone else needs the spotlight. Which is what they attempted to do with Nero in DMC4. Their effort was just halfhearted in the end.

Top Bottom