• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Who thought Vergil's true intentions were suggested well?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Granted, but I doubt Mundus would have let him hang around for very long :tongue:
Besides, Mundus raided Order HQ, then when he found out Vergil's name and his affiliation with Dante, he was going to try and kill him sooner or later.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Besides, Mundus raided Order HQ, then when he found out Vergil's name and his affiliation with Dante, he was going to try and kill him sooner or later.

I think he was talking about Vergil and Mundus in the end of DMC3 :x

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
I knew Vergil's motives would be evil.

He's following a dark path in power and pride. Like Lucifer overthrowing his Father, his Creator.
Okay, I respect you and have nothing against Christianity.

But may I ask why you are constantly trying to incorporate religion into this game? THAT would cause a HUGE ****strorm

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I think he was talking about Vergil and Mundus in the end of DMC3 :x
Oops, my bad:blush:

Okay, I respect you and have nothing against Christianity.

But may I ask why you are constantly trying to incorporate religion into this game? THAT would cause a HUGE ****strorm
DMC games do take things from religion though. Angels, demons, demonic control, inspired by Dante's Inferno, Dante's journey into hell; and Mundus is like satan.

However, if they started putting figures that people actually worship and revere into the game, I could see that causing a lot of trouble.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Dante's Inferno, all the Divine Comedy, was extremely religious. Dante wrote it as a way to cope with exile and his troubled and waning faith at times.

And Mundus is Satan. All of his aliases are that of Satan/Lucifer :tongue: That was Kamiya's intention.

The problem with having religious figures or their analogues in a work of fiction is that really nervous people think it's impossible to differentiate that religious figure from their fictitious form. It's entirely possible to write about religion and religious figures in a non-religious way, but no one ever seems to give it a chance. Audiences either put too much emphasis on the religious aspect of their character, or impose their own religious beliefs onto them :/

The Final Offer

There were three point of views in DmC.

Dante.
Vergil.
Kat.

Vergil came in and f***** s*** up. No seriously. Every plan. Vergil did it his way.

Subject of Missions:

Vergil: "I'm not going DANTE's going."
Kat: "Why?"
a_gentleman_c__dmc_vergil__by_kunoichi1111-d6bfr0j.jpg

Vergil: "Cause I look like a BOSS!"

Subject of Mundus:
Vergil: "DANTE's the key. I need to stay close to him."
Kat: "...."
kat-and-vergil-detailed-in-dmc-making-of-vid.jpg

Vergil: "You're so useless now Kat."
Kat: o_o

Subject of being a boss:
vergil_dmc_by_commandercaitlinshep-d5ug0mc.png

(("Tell me to stay in the car? I'm a boss, you don't tell a boss to stay in the car YOU stay in the car! DmC received raving reviews because of ME! Not you! You wanna see the boss get gangsta!? Watch this gangsta s***!"))

Subject of Vergil:
Mission_20_03_DmC.png

Kat: "How does revenge taste mother******!?"
Vergil: "Like......your.....sandwiches!"

Vergil:"Ugh...Dante...what...are..you going...to be without...me...imagine it....a f****** weirdo with white hair........on the street corner....in a red trench...coat with a big a** sword...they're gonna...gonna call you...Inuyasha Man....ha *cough cough* ha."
1353200136_GTAIV2012111718410393.png

Edit: Just re-read this. I think drank too much. Disregard it. Especially the sandwich part. Disregard the hell out of it.

Last edited:

AgentZero

The Darkness Consumes Me.
(Spoilers in red.)
It really came out of no where for me.
Like, the only other DMC games I played were 4 and 3. I only got half-way through three, and Vergil was obviously an antagonist.
It took me alon
g to trust him in this game, but still, I thought the abortion wasn't necessarily evil, since he was using it to attack Mundis. But after we killed Mundis, and Vergil said "The Path is Clear for us to Rule"
I was like ha! I knew you piece of ****

>>Yamato<<

Vergil's sword and #1 fan!
(This is how I thought it went down on the last mission)

Vergil::thumbsup: I think it's fair to say the humans shouldn't be worried anymore now that WE will take control and WE will protect them! :happy:
Kat: :eek:
Dante: :eek:
Vergil:... What? :unsure:
Kat:*GASP* :nailbiting:
Dante:YOU SON OF MY MOTHER!
This whole time we were doing this for YOU not the humans! :bored:
Vergil:... o_O I what now?
Dante:*takes out rebellion* DIE! :mad:
Vergil: :facepalm: *sigh* I knew I should've just said good job and skipped to the credits.

Blazer-X

I thought it was suggested well, but the way Vergil reveals himself in the last mission is a bit sudden. You mean to tell me he managed to manipulate Dante all the way till killing Mundus but did not account for his growing compassion for Kat (even despite lampshading it himself in mission 16) before deciding to blurt it out in front of both of them? Also, of all the ways he could have put it, he had to use the word "rule"? Not protection? Not guidance?

Quite honestly, he should have just said "The humans are now under our protection" and just as easily taken control, probably without having to fight Dante. Hell, Dante says as much at the end of their fight anyway.

Its fine that Vergil is a selfish tactician. That part of his personality has been made clear by the later missions. Its just seems like they decided to let go of the tactician part and just made him stupidly selfish for mission 20 just to have an iconic fight with Dante. Like others have said, it probably would have made a better story impact if we had him do his face-heel turn in DmC2. But with the ambiguity over whether or not we'll get a second game, I suppose they had to leave the fight in here just in case.

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
I thought it was suggested well, but the way Vergil reveals himself in the last mission is a bit sudden. You mean to tell me he managed to manipulate Dante all the way till killing Mundus but did not account for his growing compassion for Kat (even despite lampshading it himself in mission 16) before deciding to blurt it out in front of both of them? Also, of all the ways he could have put it, he had to use the word "rule"? Not protection? Not guidance?

Oh, please! Vergil couldn't know what compassion is even if he had unprotected sex with it. Actually, if you as much as glanced at the Chronicles of Vergil comic, you'd know that Vergil and Kat had a brief relationship but it ended as Vergil perceives love and compassion as weaknesses and so he wiped their memories.

But yeah, he could have used a different word to express himself so he wouldn't look like a douche. I guess that's just Vergil being clumsy. I mean, as clever as he is, Vergil is also at a young age (20, 21, by the looks of it) and he has been working on his goal to free humanity from Mundus' reign for a few years now. Now imagine, after years of trying to conquer the world for yourself, would you be able to contain your emotions?

Blazer-X

Its not so much that Vergil can't understand compassion as a being (can't really call him a human now, can we?), but to not take Dante's compassion into account as a strategist. The problem with this is that Vergil himself outright mentions it in Mission 16 "You really care about her", lampshading Dante's change in character and his new intense trust on Kat. If Vergil never mentions this, we can kind of write it off as him just not understanding compassion, like you said. But the fact that he lampshades it (even if its more for the benefit of showing Dante's growth) makes it clear that he is aware of the change. The fact that he slipped up after clearly having that realization is what makes his reveal kind of stupid.

Well, I suppose we can always chalk it up to him being tad bit too excited after finally offing Mundus.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Regarding Dante's passion for humanity and Kat, I think the main point is that Vergil thought he'd be able to use that growing compassion to get Dante on his side - "Hey bro, we'd be protecting those humans you care about so much, what's the problem?!"

Vergil just wasn't planning on Dante's feelings of compassion also for being about humanity's total freedom, whereas he thought Dante just wanted to save them from abject tyranny.

The Final Offer

Oh, please! Vergil couldn't know what compassion is even if he had unprotected sex with it. Actually, if you as much as glanced at the Chronicles of Vergil comic, you'd know that Vergil and Kat had a brief relationship but it ended as Vergil perceives love and compassion as weaknesses and so he wiped their memories

You do know each time he used his DT his humanity was being drained...

What was replacing humanity as it was being drained? The devil gene.

Vergil got rid of the memories so that he and Kat wouldn't remember the people that were massacred when they took down a demon. So, in short, he did have the trait that Dante had gained by the end of the game.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Vergil mostly got rid of Kat's memories so they wouldn't have a relationship that could put him and Kat in so much danger again, causing him to use his Devil Trigger which he still couldn't quite control.

Sort of a precursor to Vergil's Downfall, cutting away something so it doesn't get in the way.

Railazel

As a plot twist, Vergil's true intentions confession was a piece of genius but to say that the hints were always there is arguable consider that stuff like his attitude towards Kat (or humans in general) or him aborting Mundus' child can be written off as excusable.

However, if you take things like how he never cared about the lost of the Order, his dependency on Dante, or even his tactics like using social media terrorism, which seems akin to trying to amass an army, you can see it pretty clearly.

Top Bottom