• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Who thought Vergil's true intentions were suggested well?

Exejpgwmv

I'm mean yeah his throne room was a bit of a hint. And what he did in "The Trade" did show how he's willing to put even allies in danger to get what he wants done.
But I still think him wanting to rule over and control all of humanity was a bit sudden.

AcidX_Y

I think it was sudden but believable, the order seemed like a pretty dark place. In the concept art you can see laboratories and such which was probably for human/demon/angel experiments in his search for power. I also didn't think he would let Mundus die and just walk away.

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
I must respectfully disagree with you. There was nothing sudden about it. Actually, I kinda knew something like that would happen. Throughout the whole game, Vergil seemed to be really eager about overthrowing Mundus. Also, the way how he treated Kat as nothing but means to complete his goals (another way to say item), really made it obvious he had something sinister in mind. Besides, I knew NT would use the sibling rivalry to make the game more interesting; it was unavoidable. The first moment I saw Vergil, I immediately thought to myself "Oh, he's gonna be a boss!"

Maybe NT didn't make the ideal DMC (they did according to me, but I am talking about the hate bandwagon riders), but one thing it did right is that it worked with clues very well.

Edit: The title is very misleading by the way.

Last edited:

Exejpgwmv

I must respectfully disagree with you. There was nothing sudden about it. Actually, I kinda knew something like that would happen. Throughout the whole game, Vergil seemed to be really eager about overthrowing Mundus. Also, the way how he treated Kat as nothing but means to complete his goals (another way to say item), really made it obvious he had something sinister in mind. Besides, I knew NT would use the sibling rivalry to make the game more interesting; it was unavoidable. The first moment I saw Vergil, I immediately thought to myself "Oh, he's gonna be a boss!"

Maybe NT didn't make the ideal DMC (they did according to me, but I am talking about the hate bandwagon riders), but one thing it did right is that it worked with clues very well.

Edit: The title is very misleading by the way.
How is the title misleading? It's just a question.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I like the way they built up to it. If you read the French Vergil comic, it also shows how manipulative Vergil was toward Kat, even before the start of the game.

During the game, I think the introduction to The Order was a big hint. Security cameras watching Dante as he entered. Sure, it's for the security of HQ, but I could see that kind of surveillance playing into how Vergil would have ruled humanity; selling the idea of security cameras as being for public protection, when all he really wants to do is know a person's every move.

The big hint that something was up with Vergil comes when he disregards Kat's safety; instead he focuses on making sure The Order's computers are wiped of any info that could put him in trouble. He chooses data over a living person.
Then he refuses to rescue Kat from Mundus, and then puts Kat's life in danger during the trade by taking the shot.

Finally, Vergil just comes straight out with his plan to rule humanity for their own good, and I guess at this point it isn't much of a shock considering the hints that were given in the game.

So, the build-up to his true plan was subtle, but the hints were there.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It only seems sudden because he didn't make his intention known until the end, but you can see a lot of his motivation in his actions throughout the game. Things that seem somewhat questionable at the time, but you play it off as Vergil focusing on the greater good. Then, in the end, we find out it really wasn't for the greater good (it sorta was still), but for his own goals, which he hid from his companions.

I really like how it was done because on subsequent playthroughs, after knowing Vergil's true intentions, everything he does doesn't seem nearly as virtuous as it once did.

People can talk sh!t about NT's writing, but to ignore what they did there is ignorance. That is good writing, things that make you look at characters differently, that challenge your perceptions, and making you see things one way and then suddenly another way entirely.

Kite

Shadow DMC Player
Me personally I was actually surprised with with the last mission after Mundus I wasn't expecting it at all. Of course when it comes to stories for video games or movies or shows, hell even books I just get so into them I don't think about what's going to happen next.

But to answer your question, from someone who wasn't looking for anything, no I don't think it was suggested well.

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
How is the title misleading? It's just a question.
It's probably because I don't speak or understand fluent English, but first time I saw it, I thought you were trying to explain how you thought Vergil's intentions were actually good.

Exejpgwmv

It's probably because I don't speak or understand fluent English, but first time I saw it, I thought you were trying to explain how you thought Vergil's intentions were actually good.
Well I'd like to inform you that I wasn't.

Rolanthas

Oh I think it was pretty well done, and I mentioned this once or twice around the forum I believe. There are hints to his view on humanity / Kat as others mentioned above. The computer backup scene, and his instant dismissal on Dante's plan to rescue Kat, you can really tell he doesn't even bat an eyelid when it comes to choosing between his comrades and his objective.

But I also found his performance to be extremely well done. He just holds himself back in his every move and dialogue, not being all that comfortable with the rift between himself and humans. And he just cracks when he realizes this rift is also there between him and Dante, who up to that point he symbolizes as the trigger that can set him free of his self imposed shackles( even though he fully believes he was holding himself back for Mundus).

I think Vergil's Downfall especially stressed how different his true self and his former self was. In VD he's just a beast, extremely able and facing every obstacle head on with a brutal finality, just like OG Vergil was. Contrasting his manners to DmC where we see a Vergil who's passive in his every encounter with others, who only speaks and moves only when he absolutely can't let other people to do so for him.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Tell the truth, anyone who had played DMC3 knew that Vergil was gonna betray Dante from the second we saw the Vergil trailer back during Gamescom 2012. For original fans, we all knew Ninja Theory wasn't stupid enough to make Vergil a protagonist.
What I DIDN'T see coming, was the Vergil's Downfall DLC.
I just thought Vergil would be all 'MUAHAHAHA, I tricked you, Dante!', instead, they gave us an in depth look at the cruel mother ****er that we all knew Vergil to be.
That DLC is the highlight of this entire game, storywise. Because the original series always left it to fanon to see why Vergil was such a heartless bastard. DmC actually had the balls to ruin a couple of fan fics, to finally get some canon around Vergil's origin
(Not to mention: Unlike Tim, David actually was a worthy successor to his DMC3 counterpart)

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I liked how it was done. Throwing out hints through the game and how he didn't give a damn for Kat, but did for Dante. Like how Vergil literally starts firing during the trade and doesn't show much regard if Kat gets shot, while when Dante is falling after Mundus knocks him out, Vergil immediately swoops right in to save his ass. You could also put that down to family stuff, but then there's the whole order too, after getting his little operate set up and his custom made mighty throne booty of a chair shipped off to his king sized office, he didn't think once to have an escape plan for the whole of his dedicated team, rather than himself and Dante.

He just wanted to be king with his brother over mankind, but it felt like it was done in a believable way where Vergil personality didn't suddenly take a U turn and start breaking out in manic laughter. I like that he got genuinely hurt Dante didn't see things the same way as him, and that it wasn't such an easy a decision for him to make, even if he did choose to go against his bro in the end.

So yeah, I think his true intentions were suggestions well. Although we all knew it was coming. It probably would've been easier to get into if I hadn't known the original series. But I think if they'd laid on his intentions too thickly, then it could've been a problem. Like if Vergil started walking around with a crown on his head Dante might've been suspicious.

Top Bottom