• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

when did you first respect Dante (any) as a character?

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Well, not necessarily... you can still explain why you respect the Dante you respect, without comparisons to the other ones, like absolitude, berto, Wuodan and I did (yeah, I talked about each of them, but I didn't compare them to each other, I took them individually and on their own, but that's because I respect each of em... if I didn't respect some of them, I just wouldn't have included him).
Part of the reason I respect the certain incarnations of Dante that I like is explicitly because how different they are from their later counterparts.

I believe that warranted some explaining and discussion. If not, then this can't really be a proper discussion about characters.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Part of the reason I respect the certain incarnations of Dante that I like is explicitly because how different they are from their later counterparts.

I believe that warranted some explaining and discussion. If not, then this can't really be a proper discussion about characters.

About the first part, okay, if that's why you respect the Dante you respect.

But at the same time, this kind of discussion, comparing the Dantes, has been done to death already and the arguments brought up are always the same, from every part involved. So imo, we should avoid turning this thread into that kind of discussion as well, as it doesn't add anything new to the forum's content. It's repeating the same discussion over and over again. I don't think it's a good thing for the forum, that's all.

Last edited:

NessPSI

Tony Redgraaaave!
Ill be frank... i HATED his DMC3 self. He was just to over the top sarcastic, quirky, and overall annoying. It wasnt until i saw him in the anime and his interactions with Patty that i realized just how much of a great person he is deep down. Which leads DMC2 Dante to being my favorite when it comes to games. Im just a sucker for characters who appear dark and gloomy but really have a heart of gold. :happy:

WolfOD64

I don't HATE DMC3 Dante. I felt he could've been better. But he was enjoyable for when I wanted entertainment. And say what you will about DMC3 Dante, but he certainly knew how to entertain.
Meh...different definitions of entertainment. What you call entertaining, I call agonizing.

But, hey...whatever entertains you. Who am I to shame someone for enjoying something? I enjoy a franchise of anthropomorphic space animals.

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
DMC1 Dante: The rage he showed when Mundus killed Griffin. He acted so....human in that scene.

DMC2: His comforting of Lucia when she found out she was a clone. He was so cool and wise in that scene

DMC3: The Speech to Lady in the Library, right before she gifts him with Kalina Ann. Dante starts becoming the cool headed professional he will be in DMC1

DmC: It's a brief moment, but in the Prison he shows actual human emotion, calling the trapped souls "poor bastards" and showing empathy for them. Again, the kid is growing into a man before our eyes

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
DMC1 Dante: The rage he showed when Mundus killed Griffin. He acted so....human in that scene.

DMC2: His comforting of Lucia when she found out she was a clone. He was so cool and wise in that scene

DMC3: The Speech to Lady in the Library, right before she gifts him with Kalina Ann. Dante starts becoming the cool headed professional he will be in DMC1

DmC: It's a brief moment, but in the Prison he shows actual human emotion, calling the trapped souls "poor bastards" and showing empathy for them. Again, the kid is growing into a man before our eyes

Please tell me you skipped DMC4 Dante on purpose.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted

lmao, i kinda wonder too, but no, don't tell us and just keep to yourself, we could guess..

Wajpa

Also Viper339 on Twitch!
Mine was Dante in DMC3 during the Lady cutscene where she gives him the Kalina Ann. It was really cool to see him start to care about things but still keep his humor and slowly transition into his DMC1 self. The DMC1 scene where he respects Nelo Angelo for his honor comes pretty close.

The moment in the end of DmC Devil May Cry where Dante fights Vergil is probably on the same place for me as the DMC3 scene. You could see why he was so angry at Vergil and it showed that Dante changed during the game. If the Dante from the start of the game was asked by Vergil to rule along with him, he would've probably agreed.

If a DMC sequel ever comes out I would actually love to see what changes his personality so much in DMC2.

KRSkull

Well it was the anime that introduced me to the franchise. And i started to recpect him in the first mission

When he told Patty that anyone would want to see their parents. That line made me see that deep inside he is kust a little kid.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I never would have put 'Dante' and 'respect' in the same sentence... but I thought about it a bit and honestly the only moments I can say I respect Dante is:
- the last episode of the anime where he pulls himself off the crucifix.
- fighting the bad guy with Rebellion with two broken arms in the DMC2 novel.
I mean.
bro-fist-o.gif

Respect, bro.

But the respect starts and ends there. He does a lot of other shnitzel that tarnish any respect I'd have had for his character otherwise.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Dante's most respectable moment as a character actually appears in a fashion that I swear to God, no one ever talks about...which floors me beyond belief, considering my attachment to Dante pretty much disintegrated by the third game.
Devil-May-Cry-HD-Collection.jpg

"Mundus... His heinous ways make me sick; killing his own like
they were nothing. My mother always used to tell me that my father was a man who
fought for the weak. He had courage and a righteous heart.
In the name of my father I will kill Mundus."

Only moments after the Griffon Boss Fight, Dante displayed arguably his most relatable, character-defining moment in the entire franchise. The way he expressed disgust with Mundus' dishonorable nature was one of DMC1's rare instances of showing a layer of emotional depth that the script had buried under a ceaseless pile of cheesy lines and cocky mannerisms...something that future games would fail to do with each subsequent entry: displaying Dante as a warrior first, and a party-loving man-child second.

It was a defining moment for an underdeveloped character...and we never saw it again.

Well, not in the original series, anyway.
dmc___the_world_is_under_my_protection_now_by_earthcenturion-d5stv4d.jpg

"The world is under my protection now."

I really love that cutscene and I love this entry from the 1st novel which shows his love for children.

"Tony had erupted at the mention of demons, kicking his stool away.
His face had contorted into a mask of fury.
"Hey, Tony! Calm down, man. Don't get so worked
up."
"Where is she? What hospital was he taken to?"
"What does it matter? There' nothing you can do
any---"
Tony's arm whipped out and lifted Enzo into the
air. Just tell me, Enzo. I'm running out of patience."

While I don't like DmC Dante too much, he does grow.
This cutscene made me respect him.

Starts at 15:58.

WolfOD64

I really love that cutscene and I love this entry from the 1st novel which shows his love for children.
I really wish the novels were canon. They were much better scenarios than anything we ended getting in the original series.

I agree with DSZ. Dante grows, and eventually he earns your respect.
It's one of the reasons I like DmC so much. Dante learns humility, patience, restraint, and selflessness...until by the end of the game, he's earned the right to be the center of the story, rather than being forced on the player like in the old games.

outoftheblue

I got to say my first DMC game was the third one. If I'd met with Dante on 1,2 or 4 or maybe SMT, I'm pretty sure I could never love him as I do today.

So DMC3.

To be honest the whole game was a cheesy mess with some touching subplots going around to me. Up to a point at least.
The scene that started it all:
Till that point, I always thought Dante was like a slightly more quiet Deadpool or something. Always messing up, making cheesy one liners and never getting serious; but this scene, this library is like the monument of character development. Dante shows that he is not a walking funbox; but a human being in core. And not only we get to see Dante understanding and caring about everything's been going on, we get to see a broken, emotionally wasted Lady afraid to go on anymore, and a Vergil that is going further with nothing but determination to take his enemy down, to get the job done. The game introduces every character with not verbal narrative, but with an emotional one. At that point, just like Dante, I also come to understand and began to care about the whole thing, I understood everyone's motivation and they became real persons.

Anything that happened after that single moment not only complimented the game; but made me go through a even more emotional experience in my second, third and other playthroughs. Arkham explaining his motivation that was his misery, Lady killing his father with the last bits of her strength and breaking down, bursting into tears and of course the final dialogues between twins... Every single dialogue, the whole finale...

In short, the whole game wouldn't and couldn't make sense if that particular scene never happened and it could never cause such an emotional impact.

If it wasn't for that scene, DMC could never be a beloved tale in my heart. I could never feel any emotion while playing the other games and I could never love Dante as a character. But since then, whenever I hear/see/remember anything about DMC, I feel like crying. Whether they are tears of sadness or joy.

So beautifully expressed, and so close to my own heart

Ok. I edited to add my own favorite moments in Dante´s character :
DMC1 The already mentioned scene about his father being a protector of the weak and my absolute favorite, the moment he aims his weapon at Trish and commands her to not come any closer.....they let you peek past the fun and games smokescreen to see him in emotional pain.He cares.

DMC3 The mentioned library cutscene and my favorite one : when Lady finds Dante with a fallen Arkham on the floor and asks him if he did kill him. After the expected goofiness and shooting, a broken Lady explains he is her father and that it had to end by her hand.
Dante is so silent during that moment and tries to get a grip of his emotions and maybe lighten hers when he asks her if she isn´t going to shoot him, because that would be a first. Poor thing, only gets insults and bullets from the pretty lady. He cares again.
I could add more scenes as DMC3 is so heavy with them: Dante and Vergil teaming up, the fight in the Underworld, the tears in the rain, the glove and picture on his desk at the end....

DMC4 had his moments, but they didn´t shine that much as it wasn´t really his game.
I liked the Credo dying scene, because there was emotion, maybe repressed one, but still. Only when he catches Trish watching him closely, does he crack the not denying anyone his dying wish.
Also at the beginning, when Lady is ranting about the Order and that only one interested in knowledge would know these things, Dante very ironicly says: "like you" while pointing a slice of pizza her way. I don´t know why but I felt as he was touchy on the subject.

Nothing to comment on DmC, didn´t play it. Another universe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom