• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What was the real reason for DMC being rebooted?

VergilNeroDante

Regardless a game is a game. People should be able to voice their opinions regardless on the matter. Yes I will admit, I'm not giving the reboot a chance because well, I just don't like it and for other reasons as well, such to as what Wicked has stated. People found issues regarding the game and how it feels, it's gameplay, and other main reasons. Even so, being respectful is something, yes people should do but either way, calling it EmoMayCry or calling this new character Donte, shouldn't matter. I don't care and if you heavly get insulted on the matter because people judge a game before it's release then your just adding fuel to the fire. I judge it and still do. Either way one major flaw this game has is that it's producing the same game machanics rather than being 'new', saying that it's new is a stretch, if they wanted this game to be better, add better things that will make it more interesting. Honestly this game is nothing more than a overskinned verison of the old that's it. Nothing new has been introduced (except the story has been able to be explained, with a twist) and it honestly bores me to see such a installment use the same things that the previous versions had but water down the framerate (since unreal can't handle it), no lock on, cut back on combos and moves and other things.

Again opinions are opinions, respect them even if you disagree.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
It's judging the game before it can be properly judged, because none of us outside Capcom and specific press have had a chance to play it yet. It's also the constant downplay of people's opinions to let the game speak for itself instead of "CHANGE BAD! KILL IT WITH FIRE!" that many of the vocal haters throw out.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
And people do that all the time, with anything, and it isn't going to change soon

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I don't think it's always a bad thing though.
Fanboys & Fangirls are the ones you can count on to keep that form of entertainment going.
Yea sometimes it's annoying or creepy (OMG guy in GameStop & GearsOfWar) but they're there buying almost everything & following whatever it is closely & they really help keep that form of entertainment alive.
When i go to comic stores we'd laugh about this. Call each other comic geeks & witchblade nerds & not think twice lol.

I'm glad Fanboys & Fangirls are around.
However when they get to threatening others than that's when i worry.
Nick picking over game titles, characters, & graphics, blah blah blah, fine.
They're free to it, as long as it doesn't go into personal attacks & threats then it's time avoid them.

Not to be a spelling nazi, but you meant nit-picking, not 'nick picking'.
I agree though, I think there should be people who are on the verge of being extreme, just to prevent the game industry from turning into crap. If we were all indifferent about DmC and said we would buy it no matter what, then there would eventually be no excellent games left.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
It's judging the game before it can be properly judged, because none of us outside Capcom and specific press have had a chance to play it yet. It's also the constant downplay of people's opinions to let the game speak for itself instead of "CHANGE BAD! KILL IT WITH FIRE!" that many of the vocal haters throw out.
the same can be said with the pro side assuming its going to be as good or better than the originals

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot

That the game can't be properly judged is your opinion, not a fact. The fact is, the gameplay has already been completed. The demo shows us that. The story has no doubt also been completed. In my opinion, you can judge the game very well, at least as far as gameplay is concerned. What the story will be like can be extrapolated a bit from what's seen in the demo and the videos.

All they can do now is polish the game a bit.

I say, you've got eyes and ears, so use them.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Most supporters are judging it to be at least as good so far, and letting the game come out so we can judge the final product. Kind'a like not judging a book by it's cover.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
The reason these demos exist are to impress people and get them to buy the game. If a person doesn't think the demo is good, the chances of them buying the full game are less. In demo you expect to see enough to convince you the product is worth it. Therefore, it is reasonable to be able to judge a game buy based on a demo - companies wouldn't bother making and releasing demos otherwise.

So yeah, people do judge on demos, as much as not

VergilNeroDante

Exactly, demos are there for us to test for the developers to adjust or fix something and overall have us 'the gamers' judge with the feedback system, so with such a thing, they won't hold us from making negative feedback on the matter even from day 1. The game is made and so it's hitting stores soon. So even with the backlash still, we will have our opinions whether people like it or not.

VergilNeroDante

I think that's why Capcom cancelled ResidentEvil operation raccoon city's demo.
I don't think even they had faith in it selling well, so they drop it on shelves getting the money from gamers before the gamers realized it wasn't all that great lol.
No demo no warning lol.

Well then just to get people to assume it's great and then steal it right under their noses. Geez game companies nowadays. At least some still have ideas up their sleaves rather than other, as I have seen of late.

VergilNeroDante

Ok, so towards the topic I made, question is what makes DmC apparently so much better, could someone easily explain to me exactly what makes it better from the original? That way I can see what the positives points and negative points are to the game and why people hate it and like it.

ZeroLove

Ok, so towards the topic I made, question is what makes DmC apparently so much better, could someone easily explain to me exactly what makes it better from the original? That way I can see what the positives points and negative points are to the game and why people hate it and like it.

When the game is released and people have played it through, I am sure there are many who can answer that question for you. However, to me, there are different factors that makes DmC look good to me. One of them is the work NT has put into the story. I love storylines in games, especially when it is elaborate and interesting. The storyline in the original series isn't all that great and there are tons of plotholes. The only good story in the original series is that in DMC3, imo, which is one of the reasons it's my favourite of the original series.

I also like the new Dante's style and design. He looks more modern and I like that his style derives from punk, as I'm myself digging the punk/goth/emo style. However, imo, Dante could do with being a bit more punk than just a haircut and a loose jacket. That's just a personal preference though.

I also digged that he was a smoker in the first trailer, but that seems to have been scrapped due to fanboy/girl raging requests... sadly.

As for gameplay, DmC's gameplay feels different, yet there are lots of elements taken from the original series which makes it recognizable and familiar. I like that. It doesn't need to be all new, but it doesn't need to be just like the old gameplay either. I just have to get used to the Angel/Devil styles.

But as said, when the game is released and I have played it through, I will be able to give you a full opinion about it.

VergilNeroDante

When the game is released and people have played it through, I am sure there are many who can answer that question for you. However, to me, there are different factors that makes DmC look good to me. One of them is the work NT has put into the story. I love storylines in games, especially when it is elaborate and interesting. The storyline in the original series isn't all that great and there are tons of plotholes. The only good story in the original series is that in DMC3, imo, which is one of the reasons it's my favourite of the original series.

I also like the new Dante's style and design. He looks more modern and I like that his style derives from punk, as I'm myself digging the punk/goth/emo style. However, imo, Dante could do with being a bit more punk than just a haircut and a loose jacket. That's just a personal preference though.

I also digged that he was a smoker in the first trailer, but that seems to have been scrapped due to fanboy/girl raging requests... sadly.

As for gameplay, DmC's gameplay feels different, yet there are lots of elements taken from the original series which makes it recognizable and familiar. I like that. It doesn't need to be all new, but it doesn't need to be just like the old gameplay either. I just have to get used to the Angel/Devil styles.

But as said, when the game is released and I have played it through, I will be able to give you a full opinion about it.

Yes I understand that NT put effort in the story than Capcom, which is a good thing, either way both stories are very entertaining, but if it was me I would prefer the original raher than the reboot because I feel the original's could have had so much more to it rather than these plotholes everywhere. Stories are good to have because that is what can drive people in. Well being modern shouldn't be a debate but honestly, Japanese should stick with what they have even if it has it's anime-ishness to it. The Reboot feels like a fantasy with modern mixed in and that just doesn't seem to fit, in my opinion. Dante's design overall is different yes but I feel that they could have done better with it. Along with him smoking I think that is what would have separated the game even more from the original because it's something that Dante never did, so I can see where your point stands there. The gameplay though has changed but I feel that it's not that different from what we had, of course switching is easier now and with few weapons from what I saw in the demo (I'm sure there will be more of course)

You've tried the demo right, you can get a feel of how it is.
I personally don't think it's better at all.
The graphics aren't as crisp or as sharp as DevilMayCry4, & i'm playing both on an SDTV.
The dialog screams of a desperate attempt at being vulgar with it's unnecessary ridiculous profanity. Like when comedy central allows southpark to say the S-word, so you heard it unnecessarily all the time.
The enemies linger & daydream before attacking, not much of a threat.
The style ranking is very generous where an SSS ranking can be easily accomplished & little fear of losing it.
It's more of a faster HeavenlySword with a weaker vulgar story.

Yea I played the demo and was displeased, but thats my own opinion. Regardless people have their perferences of course. I could say the game wasn't as smooth though even being 30frames, it's crisp for graphics are down because of the Unreal engine, it has its issues and I have heard it's very glitchy. I have noticed the enemies to tend to just stand there looking at you for about 10 seconds before finally deciding to attack you. I have noticed the SSS ranking is easier in this demo and I had no issue getting it even on Son of Sparda mode. Overall simple reasons as such is why I won't be getting the game, and because of various other reasons. It's just me but I just don't like the way the series is going, but again thats just me.

Thing is every now and then I go back through the DMC 4 demo and play it and I still find it more entertaining than the reboot.

Reactions: V

Shodan

May the reboot was successful. Otherwise, from what I heard (and I could be wrong) that Ninja Theory will cease to exist?
It would be a shame because "Enslave" was a pretty decent game.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
The fact the demo froze on me (and on first playthrough) is not a good selling point. If you're trying to plug a game to me, that's what not to have it do, for starters.

Never had any other demo freeze on me, and I think 1 game only ever has since I've had that console in 5 years - and others have reported the same thing on download. Maybe the game will be better but it doesn't exactly inspire players with confidence in it when they're checking it out and the game drops its **** all over the place.

VergilNeroDante

May the reboot was successful. Otherwise, from what I heard (and I could be wrong) that Ninja Theory will cease to exist?
It would be a shame because "Enslave" was a pretty decent game.

I tried it's demo and didn't even complete it because I got bored of it within the first 5 mintues. Even for 'amazing' talent NT has for stories I see they failed overall as a game company. Only 3 games with crappy reviews says something.

VergilNeroDante

The fact the demo froze on me (and on first playthrough) is not a good selling point. If you're trying to plug a game to me, that's what not to have it do, for starters.

Never had any other demo freeze on me, and I think 1 game only ever has since I've had that console in 5 years - and others have reported the same thing on download. Maybe the game will be better but it doesn't exactly inspire players with confidence in it when they're checking it out and the game drops its **** all over the place.

Whoa serious? I had it glitch up and somewhat freeze but not completely though but still, your point is valid because right there is a turn off for any gamer if that happens. It's direction overall, well we will see.

Top Bottom