• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What does a new lead need to have?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
So what "attributes" would a new lead for Devil May Cry need?

by attributes I mean personality, species, powers, connections, weapons etc?

EDIT- to clarify, I'm not saying we need a new lead or should get a new one. I'm just curious about what people would consider important in creating one.

Just assume all the other characters got their own game so we can avoid the "I wish Vergil/Sparda bla blah blah".

By connections I mean how connected should this new character should be to existing characters or lore/concepts. Should they be a whole new untouched aspect or should they have some connection to Dante etc?

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Hmm, as the protagonist they need to be able to carry the show even when no other character is present.

So I would say they need to be endearing above all else so you actually want to follow their story. Whether it be through their charisma, funny jokes or vulnerability. It also helps if they have people to play off against.

As for powers, something simple yet with versatility tends to work best. They mustn't be too overpowered though.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Eh, Devil May Cry really doesn't need a new lead, but if we had to get one, he shouldn't be just discount Dante.

I think this is just a "what if?" kind of thing. I agree that I'd rather keep to Dante. Would be cool to have a standalone Vergil game.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I remember that the original staff of DMC1 had wanted to make a sequel with a new lead but they never go the chance. I honestly don't remember where I read that, it was years ago, and I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that was a thing.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Whatever it was that Nero didn't have.

Also, the resolve to not cry every three seconds.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Whatever it was that Nero didn't have.

Also, the resolve to not cry every three seconds.

Pretty sure this is not the type of comments Z218 wants. Not explicative and adds nothing to the discussion. Let's try to keep this thread free of jabs, pokes, baits and flames. The holidays have just passed, let's start the new year on a positive note when it comes to posting, alright?

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
i wouldn't want a new lead, if it's co lead then let's have a go, but what about nero? and trish? and lady? and vergil? and lucia? lol..

anyway,
1. a dude
2. 23-27 of age (demon kind of age)
3. yes, a demon
4. cool, messy looking
5. serious, having a though life
6. related to mundus
7. mundus ditched his older generation for siding with sparda
8. his older generations are very familiar with sparda and eva and have seen dante and vergil as a child..
9. has brutal stylish combat
10. brutal looking weapons, no guns please
11. his devil trigger should have this shocwave effect when triggered, throwing enemies away from him and slightly injured em
12. black devil trigger, with yellow iris
13. will he need an over coat? hmm.. yes, yes, coats are cool, maybe use a duster
14. black hair, sharp tired eyes, pale skin..
15. his feats will be like dante+vergil, i mean a balanced mixed version of them..
16. he don't care about dante and vergil, not friend nor enemy..

that's all for now, i dont know what else, and it is kinda a long one already..

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Guys, if some of you aren't going to address the topic appropriately or give a serious answer, then please refrain from making comments that could otherwise just be classed as spam. I'd appreciate that a great deal, thankyou!

i wouldn't want a new lead, if it's co lead then let's have a go, but what about nero? and trish? and lady? and vergil? and lucia? lol..

And Sparda?...

I mean, I've said it before, but a Sparda game would be awesome. Like @Blackquill said, the key would be to not make him overpowered or anything like that. Sparda was a legend, but I'd like to see him have to strive to gain that status.

absolitude

Sparda was a legend, but I'd like to see him have to strive to gain that status.

suppose back at his time was the demon's glory age with strong, and glory-hunting demons around maybe aiming to be demon king themselves, i'd say he should strive for that..

he even prepared his kids swords, special kinds of swords, as if saying these swords should make it easier..

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
So what "attributes" would a new lead for Devil May Cry need?

by attributes I mean personality, species, powers, connections, weapons etc?
I really hope there is no new lead and we get Dante all the way through in DMC5 but just to play along I would say Sparda would be a good new lead for one of the games in the series. I guess that's not exactly a "new" lead character but it's the only thing beside Dante or Vergil that I would want to see.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I don't Capcom will be doing new leads for a long time, but for a what if scenario, I want someone whose a bastard. Not old Dante or even new Dante type of bastard, but John Constantine type Bastard who tries to save humanity, but doesn't always catch EVERY snow flake.
Powers should be as powerful as Dante along with a species that can rival his.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Would love someone like alucard from castlevania in looks and be full demon but in human form

Name
Wraith age 500

Fighting style would be a mix between ryu hayabusa and vergil for katanas and dante or kratos for bigger weapons

His powers

Teleportaion full teleporting powers anywhere on screen

Super strength at least class 100 in base while calm higher when limits are pushed

Super speed at least lightning timer or faster

Super regeneration instant healing

Shapeshifting demon forms and animal forms

Flight and anti gravity for flying and levitation and walking on ceilings etc

Control over the elements which can also be channeled through his weapons

Immortal age wise but is killable of course

Mimicry to the point they can learn an enemies moves instantly

Devil trigger
Obsidian black body with longer hair spiky at the top and going down like a ssj3 with spikes protruding from the back and elbows and shoulders with retractable blades from the wrists standing about 10 feet tall with red lightning crackilng around it and a red aura , red eyes and a big red glowing orb in the chest with scales on the forearms and diamond like pecks and six pack wirh large wings.

The devil trigger would allow flight and multiply all attributes by 20x , it would also allow new moves and channel the elements better

Weapons
A huge broad sword
A single katana
dual katanas
a lance
a kusari gama
a halberd
tonfas
gauntlets and greaves

I would also give him shurikens and a pair of mp5's

His appearance
Long white hair and pale skin with yellow and black irises

6 foot 5 in height with a strong build
A long black trench coat and black pants with a dragon symbol and talisman with an adjoining belt
A black leather zip up top with high collars and bare chested inside and a pair of tall black leather boots and gloves

I will also give him styles but with a difference

Swordmaster for power attacks and speed attacks with large weapons

ronin/darkslayer for moves like vergils and ryu hayabusas ultimates combined

brawler For martial arts attacks

Speedster/trickster teleporting dashing, phasing up and down and through walls and wall running diagonally and horizontally

gunslinger for trick shots richochets and demon power infused bullets and shurikens and more

Elemental/ for using the elements

Shield/ royal guard which would allow blocking and shields aswell as energy absorption to return health or dish out damage

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
to respond to your responses-

@Vergilius please be a little more specific, what did you think Nero lack? (I'm just curious).

Tbh I never saw his crying to be a problem plus he only did it once. But I wouldn't mind him yelling out Kyrie to be a taunt in the next game.

@Chancey289

So Nero was too close to Dante then? You rather have someone drastically different or an untouched part of the lore?

@mrrandomlulz
Quiet and the end are cool characters so I wouldn't mind that.

@DragonMaster2010
So you would want a character who is more extreme like a Magneto/Red Hood/Sinestro, someone who you could have a debate about?

@absolitude
So why the connection to mundus?

@ef9 o shea
so why a wraith of 500 years?

@LordOfDarkness
So would you want someone who could explore what the world(human, hell etc) was like during Sparda's 2000 years?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I guess what every Dante lacks as well except for the first one -- a genuine badass but still casually funny attitude instead of forced one-liners.

"Kyrie" technically wouldn't be a taunt -- it's more of a war cry in that sense.

absolitude

was always the sons of sparda.. mundus was the big bad, he ruled, trish can't be the only significant being directly connected to him..

and with mundus and sparda gone, the story could keep the legendary mundus vs sparda thingy strong and focused, the story may even dig more on that legend and the surroundings..

but with the character not enemy nor friend to dante n vergil, it won't redo the same mundus vs sparda plot..

the main thing is, i just want to see another badass dude character.. that is equal or close in feats to dante n vergil, but with a contrast appeal..

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Not only did Nero look like Dante, but he basically acted like him. He also still just brought to the table swords and guns. Like I said, discount Dante.

If it were up to me, Nero would have had a more distinct personality, look, and gameplay style.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Not only did Nero look like Dante, but he basically acted like him. He also still just brought to the table swords and guns. Like I said, discount Dante.

If it were up to me, Nero would have had a more distinct personality, look, and gameplay style.
I think Nero had a good concept. They wanted him to be somewhat disturbed and with his lover been the only thing that anchored him to other humans. The problem is that was never evident with neither the game nor the novel. Without Dante in the equation Nero is just a smart mouth young punk-ass type who gets way to much crap whenever he says any swear words, like he was a kindergartner who said it during class.

The concept for Nero that they describe in the art book seemed really good to me but for whatever reason that just isn't how he comes off. Maybe it was budget or time or just never had a scene where they could display those characteristics or, what's more possible, they didn't want to show it because they were trying to build this image of him as a romantic lead type and the twisted personality they described him having might've put their female target audience off, who knows. What I do know is that Nero, let's all be honest here, is a discount Dante but with a love interest to attract a bigger audience of women.

Top Bottom