• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What can Capcom do to make a DMC5 a "true" mainstream hit.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
- You know what I mean by 'classic demons'. I mean the classic DMC demons. The old fantasy christian type of demons. The ones with horns, wings and pointy tails. The ones that actually look demonic. Your interpretation of 'classic' does not factor into the equation.

Well, I can say that DMC1, DMC2, DMC3 and DMC4 all had a pretty similar gothic theme. Aside from that, there have been hints of anime throughout all the games. DMC3 Dante and DMC4 Dante were much alike, DMC1 and DMC2 Dante kind of too, though DMC2 Dante was more silent. The settings were often very similar to each other. Hell, even the last DMC (DMC4) had castles and ****e as its setting. I see a lot of similarities, even between DMC4 and DMC1. DmC... not so much. It has a completely different kind of story, the demons are not the classic demons anymore, its world hardly looks like DMC at all, and the characters are quite different from their DMC counterparts. If you replaced DMC characters with DmC characters, that just wouldn't really work: put Bob Barbas or Poison into DMC and you'd be like 'wtf'. I could go on and on. DmC is very different from the DMCs in most respects. So... again, I disagree.

1. There's nothing gothic related in 2 or 3 setting-wise.

2. DMC4 Dante is literally just a copy/paste of DMC3. 1 & 2 Dantes are nothing alike.

3. The demons actually looking like demons dropped long after DMC2. Everything in 3 in 4 aren't classic looking demons.

Sunaka Marién

- I was just saying I dislike DmC because it does not feature anything I like. I don't like its version of Dante, I don't like Vergil. Mundus is incredibly cliché and badly written. Lilith too. Kat... I hardly even remember her. It's all just a bit boring to me.
I'm also criticizing it for being so different from DMC, because nobody asked for that. Not a single gamer asked for that. It was all Capcom's idea to change the characters, story, style, atmosphere... everything. And it didn't really work out for them. Most people don't like DmC because it changed so much FOR NO REASON. I understand that DMC didn't make sense story-wise, but the reboot didn't have to change so many things so drastically. That's what I mean.
Well you're free to dislike DmC's characters, I'm not saying anything against that, but the way you put it made it seem as if they'd done something that goes agains some kinda 'rules' for rebooting.
Mundus has allways been pretty cliché, as far as I remember. I don't find him to be THAT badly written, surely nothing you'd win an oscar for, but definiely not worse than any other Devil May Cry villian.
I don't think that anybody ever asked for any kind of reboot, at least for the most part, so I don't really see your point.
I find the general atmosphere of DmC to be quite a bit like the one in DMC1&2, not quite as thick, but still very similar; it's different in the case of DMC3&4, but that did't really have anything form it's predecessor's atmo anyway. Same goes for the story and characters, I can still see their original interpretation in them.
You know the thing is that the entire reason for the reboot to be made in the first place was to make it drastically different - and especially to make it more western - while still keeping the DMC DNA, or at least that's how I understood it.

- DmC does have vibrant colors, but I see no anime influence in that, per se. Just because something is vibrant doesn't mean it's related to anime. If I color something bright yellow, does that make it anime? Of course not. So I think you're just grasping at straws there.
Well, first off, it is a fact that they drew inspiration from anime for that, and secondly I also mentioned the over the top ness which is quite anime-ish; you know if you don't see anything anime in DmC it's not my fault, but I feel like it's still got something of that; like it's a mix between Japanese and western aesthetics and sensibilities.

- DmC Dante a mix between DMC1 and DMC3 Dante? Not really. He acts like an asshole in DmC. He acts like he's worth more than other people. DMC3 Dante didn't do that: he just calls demons names and tells them their powers suck. In DmC, Dante acts like he's all that (you can call me Dante the demon killer! hurr durr). In DMC3, Dante acts like the demons are nothing. Big difference. DMC3 Dante = cocky and self-centered, DmC Dante is arrogant and opportunistic.
I'm not gonna argue that he acted like a bit of an asshole in the beginning, but he certainly changed during the course of the game. I don't exactly see how he acts all that differently towards demons I'm afraid, as I don't exactly see much of a difference between calling demons names (which, btw, DmC Dante does just aswell) and that 'Dante the demon' killer line; they're both ways to show that he feels like he's better than them in a way, be it power wise or simply because he thinks that he doesn't have the same mentality as them. He dosen't act like he's worth more than other people, where did you even take that from? If anything that's what Vergil acts like, but Dante? At the end of DmC he even gave Kat all the credit for freeing mankind, how's that acting like he's worth more?

In terms of appearance, he looks nothing like any of the old Dantes either. The anime/gothic style has been completely wiped away. Now he just wears a ruddy white t-shirt and a tattered black coat. Boring. And no, I don't give a sh*t about his hair color - it could be red for all I care.
I never enven talked about appearance, because exept for maybe a more or less similar basic face structure they really don't look much alike - luckily.

- You know what I mean by 'classic demons'. I mean the classic old fantasy christian type of demons. The ones with horns, wings and pointy tails. The ones that actually look demonic. Your interpretation of 'classic' does not factor into the equation.
Even in christian believe and old fantasy demons are usually belived to posses people and/or form contracts with them, it's not about appearance alone, because that way they could just be any kind of monster. Not to mention that a lot of demons in the original games didn't exactly fit into the 'horns, wings and pointy tail' archetype either, except for a bunch in DMC2, if I remember correctly.

- Yeah, you just gave a general impression of the characters instead of going deep into what makes them tick.
''big hearted'' anyone can be big-hearted. That's not a trait of Dante alone.
''whise cracking'' *wise-cracking - not a trait of Dante alone.
dude who just loves slaying demons - not a trait of Dante alone.
They're his most defining traits, though, but sure if you want more:
- lost his mother due to demons and now wants to take revenge
- both are more of the loner type
- likes pizza ;P
- DmC Dante drowns his loneliness and worries in alcohol, sleeping around and killing demons, and it is hinted at that DMC Dante isn't much different in that aspect
- values the ones he loves a lot, probably more than his own life
- usually kinda goofy and easy-going, but serious if the situation calls it
- DMC Dante is pretty lazy, and DmC Dante seems to be aswell, judging by his appearance and the trailer he lives in
- both are quite the party people, just that DMC Dante always talks about parties while we see DmC Dante actually going to parties, or well, clubbing
- both want to protect mankind (though I guess that's a bit debateable for DMC Dante), even though people never really gave them a reason to do so in the first place, but somehow he still thinks their worth it

''the more silent and calculating type'' - not a trait of Vergil alone. It could pertain to anyone, anyone who's not even in DmC or DMC.
- feels a need to take control of things
- feels a need for more POWER ;P
- feels better than Dante until defeated by him, which he cannot accept
- actually seems to feel superior to just about anyone
- actually really cares about his mother's death, but wouldn't really show it ; the driving force behind his actions aswell
- doesn't really care for anyone but himself and maybe his family, or what's left of it
- DmC Vergil doesn't want to get attached to people, since that could become a disadvantage for him; DMC Vergil *seems* to be the same, although that has never been expicitly stated

...aaaaaaaaaand that's all I can think of for now as far as personality traits for the twins go. Idk, but maybe it'd be helpful if you'd tell me what exactly you feel makes them so different, because I honestly can't find anything which is THAT drastically different that I can't see them as different interpretations of the same character.

- Well, the anime influences are still important to me. If you take that away and put some 'western grittiness' in there, then you end up with something I cannot call Devil May Cry.
Well that's okay, it's just not necessarily a super important defining trait for me, and I don't see all that much "western grittiness" in Poison, so I still think she'd do just fine in the originals as far as visuals go. On a side note, I personlly feel like DMC1&2 actually had a certain grittiness, which was dropped in 3&4, unfortunately.

Reactions: Gel

DEMON-999

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...nnouncement-for-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc-imminent/

this pop out !
DMC5 anyone?
e6645.gif
What say you, Koba-P?

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
1. There's nothing gothic related in 2 or 3 setting-wise.

2. DMC4 Dante is literally just a copy/paste of DMC3. 1 & 2 Dantes are nothing alike.

3. The demons actually looking like demons dropped long after DMC2. Everything in 3 in 4 aren't classic looking demons.
1. 2 was the darkest and 3 was all anime-ish!

2. I can add DMC4 Dante is a poor parody of DMC3 Dante! And I completely agree with DMC1 and DMC2 Dante not being alike!

3. Well, the demons were scarier-looking in the first two DMCs, so yeah...

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Nowhere does it say that Mundus 'must now be a demonic banker instead of a three-eyed demon'. Nowhere does it say that 'Vergil now needs to be a techie' or that he 'needs to be an asshole'. Or that 'the world needs to be redesigned'. Or that 'everything needs to be westernized'.
Hmm.. didn't you just say " 'Reboot' means restarting the old story in a different way (alternate universe etc), or making a new story from scratch." so that's what they kinda did with the story and characters while retaining the same hack'n'slash gameplay so that's "Faithful" enough DMC series is mainly known for its gameplay.
Well, I can say that DMC1, DMC2, DMC3 and DMC4 all had a pretty similar gothic theme.
That's not true at all! DMC 1 had early Beta resident evil 4's pre-rendered backgrounds along with some really creepy ambient music wheres DMC 2 had simply bland level designs with forgettable techno something music.
DMCHD1.jpg

Devil-may-cry-3-screen.jpg

devil_may_cry_4_481.jpg

DMC 3 simply did away with all the pre-rendered backgrounds for a better combat camera angle sacrificing all the grandiose scenery and artwork DMC 1 had.

I can vividly remember the castle from DMC 1 but i can't remember any level from DMC 3 because they all are just arenas basically.... in DMC 1 levels were actually designed like a a castle.

And the fratboy attitude of dante in DMC 3 was simply inconsistent but i excuse that for him being "younger" but that doesn't explain why he still acts like a partyboy in DMC 4... he's supposed to be stoic and serous like how he was in DMC 1 and anime and the story was just about a whiny teen love story... i was like WTF is this the video game adaption of bleach? and the bright cartoony look of the game didn't help it either... sure the gameplay was refined but everything else felt like a downgrade.
Aside from that, there have been hints of anime throughout all the games.
EXACTLY but what type of anime?

A Seinen anime(DMC 1&2) stuff like hellsing,monster,ghost in the shell and basically anime made exclusively for adults or mature people in mind.
A Shonen jump anime(DMC 3/4) stuff like naruto,dbz,bleach,fairy tale mainstream stuff..
the demons are not the classic demons anymore, its world hardly looks like DMC at all, and the characters are quite different from their DMC counterparts.
you see this is the same complaints i have with DMC 4 the enemies look like meat sacks with blades that's not very creative or demonic... the bright colorful world in DMC 4 hardly reminded me of anything from DMC 1 even though it had a castle..
put Bob Barbas or Poison into DMC and you'd be like 'wtf'.
And if you put this dante in DMC 1 you would like double WTF?
luciferrose.jpg

The line ''there's no such thing as a casual gamer'' holds no merit on its own.
Because there simply isn't any! dividing gaming community like this stupid people play whatever they want we don't need any arbitrary labels like "hardcore' or "Casual" the term "gamer" is enough.

Last edited:

Tosto

The Dark Brawler
I love this franchise, I love the old DMCs and the reboot. Though the reboot was a weird side step and it has it's problems, I really thinks most fans who are bashing it are upset that so much was changed for reason they don't understand. I respect that and that is good but instead of in-fighting amongst our selves what we should be doing is banding together and putting our differences aside to let Capcom know that WE WANT A NEW DMC ASAFP!

Give us both DMC5 and give us DmC2. (but give us DMC5 first:happy:)
Both games can exist and both games can continue to be fun for everyone who likes them for what they are. We can argue all day about this and that but if we can't all come together at the end of the day as Fans of Devil May Cry to let the developers know that we want them to keep the franchise alive and relevant; we would have failed as fans and as a community.

I for one would love to see small spin offs featuring Trish and Lady, Kat and even Nero and DMC3 Vergil. To do this Capcom needs to set things straight. Hire someone to keep a coherent mythos and continuity. (for both universes of course) Explain away some of the stupid plot holes as best as possible though smaller more bite-sized games and even a new more story evolving and world building ANIME OVA.

I'm also very serious about an 'RPG-like' DmC game where we create our own Demon Hunter in a Post DMC2 world. But that's probaly just me. I mean, I've seen that you guys can do this in Dragon's Dogma so why not DMC-ify that DD layout and see what happens. ...and also give us DD2. :tongue:

Last edited:

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
I love this franchise, I love the old DMCs and the reboot. Though the reboot was a weird side step and it has it's problems, I really thinks most fans who are bashing it are upset that so much was changed for reason they don't understand. I respect that and that is good but instead of in-fighting amongst our selves what we should be doing is banding together and putting our differences aside to let Capcom know that WE WANT A NEW DMC ASAFP!

Give us both DMC5 and give us DmC2. (but give us DMC5 first:happy:)
Both games can exist and both games can continue to be fun for everyone who likes them for what they are. We can argue all day about this and that but if we can't all come together at the end of the day as Fans of Devil May Cry to let the developers know that we want them to keep the franchise alive and relevant; we would have failed as fans and as a community.

I for one would love to see small spin offs featuring Trish and Lady, Kat and even Nero and DMC3 Vergil. To do this Capcom needs to set things straight. Hire someone to keep a coherent mythos and continuity. (for both universes of course) Explain away some of the stupid plot holes as best as possible though smaller more bite-sized games and even a new more story evolving and world building ANIME OVA.

I'm also very serious about an 'RPG-like' DmC game where we create our own Demon Hunter in a Post DMC2 world. But that's probaly just me. I mean, I've seen that you guys can do this in Dragon's Dogma so why not DMC-ify that DD layout and see what happens. ...and also give us DD2. :tongue:
I really love the way you are thinking! I'm with you on this! :D

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
sadly i doubt there will be a middle ground on this matter. It would be either DMC or DmC, and i personally think it rather would be DmC, looking at sales and capcom support.

Top Bottom