• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you sick of?

Dark Drakan

Admin
Dear god, this... I was told that Dark Souls was a terrible game because the graphics weren't as good as Battlefield 4. Um, whot? Seriously?

Its such a narrow minded way to think that good GFX make a good game or a game better than another game because it simply looks prettier. Cant compare games in different genres regardless, or for any reason but also shouldnt judge games of the same genre purely on the way they look. I understand if you cant play a game thats 10-15 years old because you cant get used to the GFX as some people cant re-adapt to retro style but still shouldnt judge a book by its cover.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Its such a narrow minded way to think that good GFX make a good game or a game better than another game because it simply looks prettier. Cant compare games in different genres regardless, or for any reason but also shouldnt judge games of the same genre purely on the way they look. I understand if you cant play a game thats 10-15 years old because you cant get used to the GFX as some people cant re-adapt to retro style but still shouldnt judge a book by its cover.

^ This is a problem I have; I find if it's a game I had the privilege of playing, it isn't as bad, but it still hurts my eyes after awhile. If it's a game I missed out on, and I go back to play it? All kinds of motion sickness. D:

Though that's not just with older games, either. There are games that are only a few years old that have the same effect on me. I'm thinking GFX alone aren't the cause of my motion sickness. Screen tearing is something of an issue; if the screen distorts often, it does a number on me.

It's only recently that I've gained some knowledge of the whole "frames per second" thing, but as long as the game moves smoothly, that's my only real concern-and only because of the motion sickness. Odd, I don't remember it really being an issue when I was younger. I wonder if advanced GFX with lacking engines to run on is the cause?

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Dreams where I end up repeating stuff. I get to a certain point after doing a bunch of things, usually mundane/boring or otherwise horrifying, and then my brain decides like it's going to lose a save game and I have to repeat that crap over. And over.

The other night it was an endless nosebleed that just got worse, last night it was running around after like a million cats in some kind of cat shelter. I spend however long feeding and watering these damn cats only to find a bunch have escaped or the ones at the start have been without food and water for two days and proceed to freak out in case they die. Wtf.

Dark Drakan

Admin
^ This is a problem I have; I find if it's a game I had the privilege of playing, it isn't as bad, but it still hurts my eyes after awhile. If it's a game I missed out on, and I go back to play it? All kinds of motion sickness. D:

Though that's not just with older games, either. There are games that are only a few years old that have the same effect on me. I'm thinking GFX alone aren't the cause of my motion sickness. Screen tearing is something of an issue; if the screen distorts often, it does a number on me.

It's only recently that I've gained some knowledge of the whole "frames per second" thing, but as long as the game moves smoothly, that's my only real concern-and only because of the motion sickness. Odd, I don't remember it really being an issue when I was younger. I wonder if advanced GFX with lacking engines to run on is the cause?

Its usually FOV (field of view) that has an affect on people in regards to motion sickness in lots of cases. Some games almost have a fish lens effect with their FOV that can effect people.

MW3 introduced a slider to change it, this is from 65 to 90 FOV change.

44-mw3-fov-65-to-90.jpg

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Its usually FOV (field of view) that has an affect on people in regards to motion sickness in lots of cases. Some games almost have a fish lens effect with their FOV that can effect people.

MW3 introduced a slider to change it, this is from 65 to 90 FOV change.

44-mw3-fov-65-to-90.jpg

That might be it, too. Also, if the camera erratically moves around on its own, it tends to bother my eyes. Luckily I don't suffer from the motion sickness, in that case. My eyes just burn a little. :p

Thanks for the info; you learn something new everyday. :)

Dark Drakan

Admin
That might be it, too. Also, if the camera erratically moves around on its own, it tends to bother my eyes. Luckily I don't suffer from the motion sickness, in that case. My eyes just burn a little. :p

Thanks for the info; you learn something new everyday. :)

My uncle is a big First Person Shooter fan but some with a strange FOV give him motion sickness and he gets it quite bad.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Zombies. I am sick of zombies. There is very little original material for zombies left and the market has now been oversaturated with them. I've never liked them before but I liked some of them, 28 Days, American Zombie, Night of the Living Dead and so on, but now we even have romantic happenings like Warm Bodies. Zombies have become the new vampires.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Zombies. I am sick of zombies. There is very little original material for zombies left and the market has now been oversaturated with them. I've never liked them before but I liked some of them, 28 Days, American Zombie, Night of the Living Dead and so on, but now we even have romantic happenings like Warm Bodies. Zombies have become the new vampires.

I dont mind them to an extent and now in most zombie shows and games the humans are more a danger than the zombies themselves (The Walking Dead show and games and DayZ game for example). Dont mind it when they mix it up a little too like in Red Dead Undead Nightmare and Left 4 Dead. Its when they do the same stuff thats been seen a thousand times before that it starts to get a little tiresome and market is oversaturated with movies and games about zombies I agree but the good ones are brilliant. If im not mistaken Warm Bodies was more of a mockery comedy version of Twilight than an actual zombie romance movie made to be taken seriously.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium

I hear you; it's overplayed. I like The Walking Dead, but I can't really get into much else involving them because it feels like the same recycled themes over and over again. In fact, I think I get 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead mixed up for that reason (I've seen both, and I'm pretty sure the plot was basically the same).

And ew...Twilight almost ruined Vampires, entirely. Thankfully, Stephenie Meyer didn't invent the lore, and we still have Anne Rice to fall back on-because that woman knows what real f*cking vampires are.

But now zombies have been romanticized? Good god....D:

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I've never been a big fan of zombie genre, I don't think I like any of the 'classic' zombie movies that much but the 'new breed' of "running rabies zombie" since 28 Days Later just made me like the old ones a whole lot more. Sure, 28 Days is an alright film, zomgCillianMurphy : D : D but everything has taken from that since? So many sped up zombies now. Sped up or not, zombies in general are boring and the plot has to be kept going by how much assholes the survivors can end up being to each other? That in itself is a frustrating premise to a movie for me.

Unless it's a comedy. Braindead is gross and hilarious.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I've never been a big fan of zombie genre, I don't think I like any of the 'classic' zombie movies that much but th...
You should check out American Zombie. It's not a comedy, it's a mocumentary that has some interesting themes. It's pretty low budget and B but it has a good story and it's more original than most. It's more drama then anything and you might not like it, it's not for everyone, but it's worth checking out on it's merits.

Reactions: V

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Thanks, I might. :>

CT: Kinda sick of people stealing my art and selling it on Amazon and eBay. The prints must be horrible quality since I never upload them at print resolution. The last guy had a funny story about purchasing the rights to my work from some mystery unnamed company I never gave it to, then lost the receipt in a mystery flood when I asked to see it. Wonder what this one will have to say for themselves. :rolleyes:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Thanks, I might. :>

CT: Kinda sick of people stealing my art and selling it on Amazon and eBay. The prints must be horrible quality since I never upload them at print resolution. The last guy had a funny story about purchasing the rights to my work from some mystery unnamed company I never gave it to, then lost the receipt in a mystery flood when I asked to see it. Wonder what this one will have to say for themselves. :rolleyes:

As much as it sucks to have to do this (since it tends to mar the artwork) you might need to put a watermark on it. :(

V

Oldschool DMC fan
As much as it sucks to have to do this (since it tends to mar the artwork) you might need to put a watermark on it. :(

I always do. This particular one was modified by somebody who removed my watermark and signature, turned it into a wallpaper and posted it on tumblr, and it's since showed up being sold by a guy on eBay and now someone from Germany on Amazon.

I still think the print quality must suck badly, you can't upscale something small like that without a massive hit in quality or pixellation.

But that's it, new watermarks going across all my pics now. Might ruin the overall effect but I want to make life as difficult as possible for these people.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I always do. This particular one was modified by somebody who removed my watermark and signature, turned it into a wallpaper and posted it on tumblr, and it's since showed up being sold by a guy on eBay and now someone from Germany on Amazon.

I still think the print quality must suck badly, you can't upscale something small like that without a massive hit in quality or pixellation.

But that's it, new watermarks going across all my pics now. Might ruin the overall effect but I want to make life as difficult as possible for these people.

The same problem happened to one of my favourite render artists on there. He always put a watermark on his, too, but probably in the same manner you do (off to the side, alongside one of the characters, random spots that wouldn't ruin the overall look), and some a$$hole kept stealing his art, removing the watermark (even managed to do it with some of the more challenging ones) and took credit for them on some random site.

I kept spamming the idiot, telling him if he had any common decency, he'd stop taking credit for another's work. He deleted and ignored my comments, every time. :/

As a result, the artist no longer does wallpapers. :( He does verticals, only, and I swear that guy has still managed to steal some of the art, even with the artist's signature being on the characters.

It's discouraging, to say the least.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
It is a bit. I mean I guess it's the internet, it's gonna happen sometime, a determined person with some software can erase watermarks or modify images, and places like eBay or Amazon don't even care what their sellers are up to.

I'm not mad, I mean after nearly 10 years posting art online I'm used to it, it just now means contacting the person selling it and going through the motions of trying to get them to take it down. The only time I was mad was when some doucherocket stole one of my picts and actually entered it in a Metal Gear art competition. He didn't win, but if he had I would have had so much fun getting him disqualified post-win.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Is your work copywriten? Is your avatar your own work?

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Is your work copywriten? Is your avatar your own work?

In this case it was fan art that I would not sell myself because of copyright laws, that somebody else has taken on themselves to scrub off my signature and watermarks, upscale (badly) from a low res upload and sell on their Amazon shop as an on-demand print without my permission. The law protects me as the maker of the fan art, the image I made is copyrighted to me, and CAPCOM remains the owner of the copyright of the character in the image, as per the Berne Convention/Creative Commons license.

If it was one of my own copyrighted works or characters then I would go to town on this guy. As it stands all I could currently do was to politely ask for him to remove it from his storefront, before taking it higher, since it looks bad on me or that I might be mistaken for endorsing the mass sale of copyrighted works. It looks like he has removed it now anyway.

The last dude who did this on eBay decided to wrangle with me that I didn't have the right to tell him to take down my work because it wasn't "mine" when the character belongs to CAPCOM (not like he had CAPCOM's permission to sell it either), but he's legally incorrect, and I got him to take it down in the end. Legally it's mine but it can't be sold, only shared, and I nor anybody else can profit from it in that way. In reality a lot of artists do profit from small-scale copyright breach, such as dojin publishers and print makers at cons, without getting legal permission from the copyright holders but dojins usually make next to nothing in profit after costs and small scale runs at cons are normally beneath the concern of large companies. Print-on-demand mass selling like this guy though would attract their attention.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind or care if someone uses my work for their own amusement, wallpapers or whatever... there's even a few people who have used my work as avatars and sigs on this site probably without knowing they're mine and don't mind at all. Someone just starts selling it like this though and it's in my interest to get them to quit. I don't want anyone coming up to me online at some point and saying "hey, aren't you the dude who sells DMC prints?" because I don't.

The av isn't mine, but I know the artist. I've seen people trying to sell her work of copyrighted characters, too.

I just draw the line here: realistically anything I upload to the net is fair game for someone to use, change, deface, whatever. But as long as they aren't selling it, it doesn't matter. As soon as they start trying to mass produce for profit, we got problems.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Sounds like a pain. You can't always get proper punishment for those things, it wasn't easy before the internet it certainly isn't easy now, and I'm sure it would feel like an uphill battle. I can totally why you'd be sick of it.

Top Bottom