• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"Bungo Stray Dogs: Another Story" is written by Kafka asagiri and the art is drawn by Oyoyo. It's a spinoff to Bungo stray dogs and focuses Yukito Ayatsuji. He is a quirky detective working for the government tackling mysterious cases. It's feels like Jojo Bizarre Adventure and is based off a light novel spinoff.

"Friday" is written by Ed Brubaker and Marcos Martin. It centers around Friday Fitzhugh, the former partner of Lancelot Jones. Lancelot was the local genius who solved mysteries for fun. When Friday returns from college, she gets wrapped up in his latest mystery and its more than it appears.

Brubaker talked about doing a post YA story and he nails it.

"The Many Deaths of Laila Starr" is written by Ram V and drawn by Filipe Andrade. Death posseses a human girl in order to stop the inventor of immortal life from doing just that. Poignant and short read.

"Swamp Thing" by Ram V and Mike Perkins. It focuses on Levi Kamei dealing with the fallout of the events that lead him to be Earth's latest Swamp Thing. It's a great mediation on legacy and the value of change for humanity.

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Marukami. So far a 37 year old narrator recounts a friendship he had when he was 19.

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
"Legion of Monsters" by Marvel Comics. Not a team-up, but rather a short series of unrelated one-shots of Marvel's classic monsters from over the years. They were also each double bills so for example, included in the "Morbius the Living Vampire" issue was a second one-shot story revolving around "Lilith, Daughter of Dracula".

The purpose of the run seems to have been to reintroduce these characters back into the mainstream as most would go on to feature either in their own books or as major characters in other people's - such as Simon Garth AKA "The Zombie" unsurprisingly is key in fighting back against the zombie apocalypse in "Marvel Zombies 4".

The one-shots were a mixed bag. Some like Morbius' were interesting as it explored his desire for blood in comparison to the homeless drug addicts that he disguised himself amongst as he hid from the authorities. Others weren't so good, such as Man-Thing who is a very difficult character to base stories around and this one wasn't handled so well.

Speaking of Morbius, I read that the desire was to have him be the villain of a future Tom Holland Spider-Man movie, but honestly I am so over superhero movies at this point so I'd much more be interested in seeing them make more monster movies like the "Werewolf by Night" special on Disney+.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"On writing" is a memoir of Stephen King's life and how it ties into his career.

"My name is why" by Lemn Sissay. It explores his childhood in the British foster care system.

"I love the bones of you" by Christopher Eccleston. An autobiography of the actor's life, exploring his upbringing, career highs and lows and his father's battle with dementia.

I found myself feeling aimless and lost so revisiting these titles helped.

"20th Century Men" is a 6 issue comic book series published by Image Comics. It is written by Deniz Camp and art is by Stipan Moran and Aditya Bidikar. It's the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan told through the lens of superheroes. It's a heavy read and a solid recommendation for fans of Watchmen, the Boys, ex machina.

"Hell to pay" is written by Charles Soule and art by Will Sliney. It's a six issue miniseries published by Image comics. It focused on Sebastian and Maya stone, a married couple forced to work for the mysterious Shrouded College. The College is a group of magicians looking to remove the Qurrakh- coins made from the souls of hell. You can use a coin to buy the services of a demon. This ends being a thoughtful satire of capitalism while being a fun action adventure story.

"The Passageway" is a graphic novel written by Jeff Lemire and art by Andrea Sorrentino. It is published by Image Comics. It focuses on John Reed, a Canadian geologist who journeys to a remote lighthouse in order to investigate a mysterious hole. He runs afoul of the mysterious Yardle siblings who live at the lighthouse. There are mysterious flashbacks to his mother drowning. It feels like half a story.

Both stories set up a wider universe- "the shrouded college" and "the bone orchard mythos". But the former does a better job making me want to follow the overarching series further.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"No/Name" is a cool fantasy one-shot that's free online. Its written by Rafal Jaki and the art is by Machine Gamu. It's about a version of Northern Europe where naming is regulated because the first name you have gives you a special power.

The issue follows two agents of the Naming Bureau as they track down a kidnapped child of an influential figure.

It's a one and done story but I'd read more issues if they pop up.

"Boruto two blue vortex" is a sequel to Boruto. It's supervised by Naruto's creator Masashi Kishimoto and the art is by Mikio Ikemoto. Boruto's returns to Konoha years later to regain his place as Naruto's son after reality was rewritten by Kawaki. It has echoes of Shippuden but with its own flavor.

"Kagura Bachi" inspired many memes on Twitter- the Morbius of Shonen manga. It's about a young man looking to find 6 missing swords his late father created. The worldbuilding is kind of confusing but it's a retro world where magic is real. The first three chapters are decent but it's not really special yet.

It's written and drawn by Takeru Hokazono.

"G.O.D.S" is written by Jonathan Hickman and drawn by Valerio Schiti. It focuses on Wyn and Dimitri, two agent of "the Powers that be"- a secret organization under threat from Cubisk Core, a mage who wants to usher in a "Babylon Event" and rewrite the universe. They are forced to work with "the Natural order of things" a rival organization that counts Wyn’s ex-wife Aiko among their number.

I liked it too but I was rooting for it for a long time. I thought the plot and characters were fine.

However I thought it might've been better as a creator own comic. The Marvel appearances don't feel like they add much to me. So that could be a concern for some fans.

"Cosmic Detective" is a graphic novel written by Jeff Lemire and Matt Kindt. The art is done by Dave Rubin and it's funded by Kickstarter. It follows an unnamed private detective looking into a murder of an otherworldly being. It feels like an iceberg of potential that reads better on a reread. It's a sci-fi noir that's colorful and trippy.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
The Rising Storm by Cavan Scott. It's part of the High Republic era of Star Wars. That's about 200 years before the films.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell.
I have a copy of the 4th Wing I've been thinking about finally starting. Might go there next.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Into the Dark by Claudia Gray.
Worldtr33 volume 1 is written by James Tynion IV and art by Federico Blanco.
Pixies of the sixties by Harry Bozino and Alice Goslin.
The Fallen Star by Claudia Gray.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Where the body was by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips.

Suicide Squad: Blaze by Si Spurrier and Aaron Campbell.

Midnight Horizon by Daniel Jose Older.

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I read "The King in Yellow", an anthology of loosely connected short stories by Robert W. Chambers. Very gothic, very weird - I can see how it influenced a young Lovecraft. I am a sucker for the "embedded narrative" trope and so the fact that several of the stories revolve around the titular play that drives anyone who reads it insane, - which Chambers actually included snippets from the play and wrote in prose form was pretty cool. (y)

Just finished reading an old Sonic Adventure 2 fanfic I wrote nearly 20 years ago, predominately about Shadow. It was...a painful, yet bittersweet read. ^^;
Gosh, that reminds me of the first ever fanfic I ever did, an attempt to fix the writing of Sonic '06. I daren't go back and read it though, for fear of dying from cringe. :ROFL:

ReaperHunter

Follow me to Apex
Premium
I read "The King in Yellow", an anthology of loosely connected short stories by Robert W. Chambers. Very gothic, very weird - I can see how it influenced a young Lovecraft. I am a sucker for the "embedded narrative" trope and so the fact that several of the stories revolve around the titular play that drives anyone who reads it insane, - which Chambers actually included snippets from the play and wrote in prose form was pretty cool. (y)

Gosh, that reminds me of the first ever fanfic I ever did, an attempt to fix the writing of Sonic '06. I daren't go back and read it though, for fear of dying from cringe. :ROFL:
I read The King In Yellow earlier this year. I really like how strange and creepy the first four or so of the stories in the anthology were.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
@Lain I guess if it inspires us to cringe, it must mean we've grown a lot since, right? That is honestly a point of solace, lol. (And past-you had the right idea. Sonic '06 was...well, I guess I'd hoped for better. I barely remember anything about it now, which tells me it must've been a bit underwhelming. ^^;

@V's patron It really does! It's such a strange juxtaposition, especially when both reactions come from the same emotional mindset.

+Currently reading through some of my short stories, trying to figure out if I want to put all of them in a single anthology, or if two of the stories don't really fit and will have to have a book of their own.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
House of Slaughter

House of Slaughter set in the world of "Something is killing the children". That series focuses on a monster hunter named Erica Slaughter who went on a routine hunt in Archer's Fall Wisconsin and got more than she bargained for.

This series focuses on the history of the house of Slaughter- a group of monster hunters that raised Erica.

Each volume looks to be anthology set around the trials of a specific character.

Each volume could be described as an fantasy horror with action and YA moments.

The 1st volume was centered around Aaron a supporting character from the main title. Volume 1 was set years before the main series and focuses on a tragic love story between Aaron and new member Jace Boucher.

Unlike Volume 1, our protagonist Edwin is a new face. Edwin serves as a researcher for the order of the slaughter. He is sent to investigate a monster sighting around a seaside children's camp and uncovers a secret about his past.

Tynion described his work on Batman as Action Horror but his creator owned work fits the description better.

Volume 3 focuses on Jace Boucher, a returning character from the first volume. Jace tries to lead a new life away from hunters and monsters. When he's separated from one of his sons, he returns home to confront the past he left behind.

A tighter narrative than volume 2 and pays off better in its conclusion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom