• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Just read the last chapter of My Dress Up Darling. Juju's low tolerance for scares iiiiissss... a thing, but her reaction to the cake was brilliant. You ever see something that while you didn't laugh you might think to yourself, or say out loud, 'that was was hilarious'? That was me.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"The Knight, the fool and the dead" by Steve Cole. It's a Doctor Who tie in novel set during the Time Lord Victorious event. That event is set after the Water of Mars episode from 2009. The 10th Doctor journeys to a planet called Aldhani. The inhabitants are approached by the Kotthuri, a group of aliens that have found a way to stop death through a device called the Lifeshroud. The Doctor is suspicious of their claim and investigates.

He teams up with Brian a mysterious alien assassin who wants the device for his employer, Chaskal a crooked politician who hires Brian, Fallomax an amoral scientist who had a previous encounter with the Kotthuri and Estine a young girl of interest to the Kotthuri.

It's a great read and feels like a lost Doctor Who episode. I'm looking forward to it's sequel "All Flesh is Glass".

I just want Davies to patch things up with Eccleston and adapt "All Flesh is grass" as a miniseries for Disney+. It's a great multi- Doctpr story between 8, 9 and 10. It also follows up on the events of "The knight, the fool and the dead" and acts as a bridge from the Waters of Mars to the End of time.

Last edited:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
The entire Wheel of Time series - currently on book 5, halfway through, remembering why this is possibly the best fantasy series ever created (even if the ending sucks)

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
32660808.jpg

My daughter got it for me last Christmas (off my list), and I have to say, I wish I'd started it way sooner. It was one of those books I was afraid to get into because EVERYONE was talking about it at the time, so I was afraid I'd set the bar too high. Suffice it to say, I'll be getting its sequels in the near future.

(It's not dystopian, because they've essentially got a utopia, but it's not fully cyberpunk either, because the technology doesn't rule their lives to the same extent as, say, Psycho-Pass or the Matrix. But it definitely fits in there, somewhere).

berto

I Saw the Devil
I finished reading Before the Coffee Gets Cold. There is a note on the back flap I never noticed that says that the whole thing was originally a stage production and that it got a movie adaptation after the book published. I tracked down the movie but I am rather let down by it. There are way many details that they got wrong with the movie on the cafe alone so god only knows what they're changing with the actual plots.

After this I think I'll move on to Steppenwolf or Siddhartha by Hesse. I read them both when I was younger and want to go back and reread them.

Last edited:

Dr. Cheesesteak

I've been slowly reading Blade of the Immortal. The cut+pasted (not quite flipped) Dark Horse printings. I loved the anime. The manga so far has a lot more content than the anime, which I expected. But what I DIDN'T quite expect was the difference in tone. The anime is quite...serious and dark and sad and intense. The manga is more...I dunno...whimsical? More light-hearted. But still has plenty of dark and serious moments.

It's definitely a good read, and is more interesting when I think of the differences between it and the anime. This is the first time I've read a manga after watching an anime (or read ANY manga that had an anime, for that matter...). It's an interesting experience. I may try it more often.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"Bungo Stray Dogs" was a good read. It's ripe up my alley of Urban Fantasy. It would be cool if the writer and artist can work on the next DMC game. They handled the supernatural detective angle pretty well.

It's written by Kafka asagiri and drawn by Sango Harukawa. It focuses on Atsuhi Nakajima, a young man living on the streets. He is taken in by a detective agency after discovering he is a weretiger.

The first volume focuses on him adjusting to his new life, meeting his coworkers and learning the ropes. It also sets him against the local mafia who want to capture him because capturing a weretiger and selling it seems like a good business plan.

It's marketed as a seinen but more like a shonen so far.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"Starman" is written by James Robinson and drawn by Tony Harris. It was published by DC comics in the 1990s. I read the first two volumes "Sins of the Father" and "Night and Day".

Starman focuses on Jack Knight, a finder and trader of collectibles living in Opal City. His father Ted was a scientist turned superhero named Starman. Jack is forced to take up the mantle after his brother David was killed by one of his father's old enemies.

Both volumes deal with Jack learning the ropes of being a superhero and resolving his complicated feelings towards his family.

Last edited:

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Game of Thrones part 1. Cannot watch the show, tv violence sickens me, but books are fine.

As an audiobook, Nevermoor #3 (Hollowpox). Nevermoor #2 was slightly better than the first. I liked it as a whole, just some plot holes, deus ex machina moments and cardboard cutouts. Oh and generally the plot teaches very questionable stuff to children. But it was entertaining, and I like the worldbuilding.
I expect progress from #3.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"The Wild Storm" is a 24 issue comic written by Warren Ellis and art by Jon Davis Hunt. It was a reboot to the Wildstorm characters that DC popularized in the 90s. It starts with Angelica Spica having a bad day trying to request more resources from her boss Miles Craven. Her day gets worse when she saves Jacob Marlowe from falling out a window. She learns that Miles wanted to assassinate Jacob and has to go on the run herself. It only gets stranger when Jacob reveals himself to be an alien looking to influence humanity for his own purposes. It's a cool sci-fi comic about what happens secret conspiracies come to light. It's a way to use worldbuilding to affect characterization and it works although it spreads itself very thin with all the characters it juggles. I'm sad it didn't take off beyond these 24 issues and one spinoff. I'm hoping DC gives it a second shot in the future.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"Legend of Korra: Turf Wars"- is a 5 issue miniseries set after the season 4 finale. Korra and Asami return from their vacation in the spirit world to find tensions have grown between the humans of Republic City and the spirits. Also brewing in the background is a gang War between the various factions and politicians looking to benefit for their own agenda.

"Hellboy and the BPRD: The Return of Ellie Kolb and other short stories" is a collection of 5 different short stories set around Hellboy's life.

Dr. Cheesesteak

"Hellboy and the BPRD: The Return of Ellie Kolb and other short stories" is a collection of 5 different short stories set around Hellboy's life.
I'm actually thinking of taking a dip into the Mignolaverse finally. I've known about Hellboy since the 90s, but the new video game has me interested in checking out the larger franchise. Quite a lot to read, but hey...start slow.

AND, my internet went out last night, so I decided to do some reading. Read the first vol of The Wild Storm. Easily Ellis's best work I've read so far. Which isn't much, I've only read Stormwatch, The Authority, Secret Avengers, and a couple indies I can't even remember. But I'm eager to finish it.

The original Wildstorm universe was one of my favorite superhero universes, if not my favorite. Seeing it reimagined in a realer world w/ this quality of writing is awesome.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm actually thinking of taking a dip into the Mignolaverse finally. I've known about Hellboy since the 90s, but the new video game has me interested in checking out the larger franchise. Quite a lot to read, but hey...start slow.

AND, my internet went out last night, so I decided to do some reading. Read the first vol of The Wild Storm. Easily Ellis's best work I've read so far. Which isn't much, I've only read Stormwatch, The Authority, Secret Avengers, and a couple indies I can't even remember. But I'm eager to finish it.

The original Wildstorm universe was one of my favorite superhero universes, if not my favorite. Seeing it reimagined in a realer world w/ this quality of writing is awesome.
I've been meaning to check out Planetary by Ellis. I was hoping Ellis would do a reboot of Gen 13 and Planetary for the Wild Storm but alas it wasn't meant to be.

I'm curious what his take on DMC or Ninja Gaiden would be.

There are omnibuses for the main Hellboy plot but the short stories are a fun place to start. It's a whole universe onto its own and the spinoffs are great. This collection is a good sampler for if you wanna read other stories.

"Damn them all" is written by Si Spurrier and the art is by Charlie Adlard. It focuses on an exorcist that investigates series of local murders by another exorcist. If you like John Constantine, this is for you. I wished this team could work on a potential DmC2.

"Star Wars: The Blade" is written by Charles Soule and art is by Marco Chossietto. It focus on Porter Engle and his surrogate sister Brasha. They are Jedi that lived in the High Republic era, a time 200 years before the movies. They are some cool new characters and the High Republic era is what Star Wars needs- the feeling of something fresh and new.

"Star Wars: The High Republic" volume 2 is written by Cavan Scott and the art is by Ario Andidito. It focuses on Vildar Mac a Jedi who journeys to the Planet of Jedha in order to partake in a meeting of Force Users. But a mysterious murder threatened to send these various groups against each other. Vildar has to team up with a mysterious thief in order to get to the bottom of the mystery and keep the peace.

Last edited:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Tevinter Nights - It's a collection of short stories from the Dragon Age writers. I've read most of the DA novels and they tend to annoy me (the writing's good, but the characters are insufferable--which I applaud, because realistic characters, but also makes me want to punch them LOL), but this one's okay so far. Maybe the restriction of length helps.

Also reading half a dozen books on the Victorian era for work.

Dr. Cheesesteak

I've been meaning to check out Planetary by Ellis. I was hoping Ellis would do a reboot of Gen 13 and Planetary for the Wild Storm but alas it wasn't meant to be.

I'm curious what his take on DMC or Ninja Gaiden would be.

There are omnibuses for the main Hellboy plot but the short stories are a fun place to start. It's a whole universe onto its own and the spinoffs are great. This collection is a good sampler for if you wanna read other stories.
I finished The Wild Storm and it was one of the best comic stories I've ever read. And I've read a lot.

Currently on the 1st Omnibus of Hellboy and really enjoying. I'm actually surprised at its writing style and how good it is. 1. it's a 90s action comic (or at least I presumed action-y/superhero-y), so I figured it'd have the general 90s superhero writing style. And 2. I thought Hellboy itself would just have generic writing. Even tho I've read other stuff from Mignola and loved it, I think I just presumed Hellboy would be generic because...the movies? I dunno really. But I was way wrong.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
The Harbringer is an 8 issue comic book published by Valiant Comics. It is written by Collin Kelly and Jackson Lanzing with art by Robbi Rodriguez. It's about Peter Stancheck, an addict who decides to become a superhero in order to make amends for misusing his powers. He contends with Ago an superhero turned activist, Faith an old friend who doesn't trust him anymore and the Renegade a mysterious character who can activate the abilities of other people. Peter's connection with the Renegade is Kingdom Hearts done right.

Bungo Stray Dogs: Beast is a flip on the original premise as the hero and villian roles are now swapped. It reminded me of my love for swapping Vergil and Dante in a potential reboot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom