• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What a moron!

moseslmpg

You know, Germans generally try to distance themselves fro anything to do with Nazism even to the point where it is illegal to name a pet Adolf or draw a swastika have realistic blood in videogames. So, they definitely don't relish being generalized as Nazis.

But the difference is that the Nazis are gone. The Taliban and Islamic extremists are not, and they have exacted a very real and tangible influence on the contemporary world. So to compare the two is overreaching in a way that is characteristic of gamer rhetoric.

Jack says something crazy, gamers say something opposite yet usually equally crazy. That's how it tends to go.

I myself feel sorry for him. I didn't know he had been disbarred, that is a shame. He certainly believes in what he is doing, and he has seen firsthand the aftermath of violence which he attributes to videogames so it is understandable that he would be saying things like this. And with the exclusion of the Taliban from the game, this certainly isn't a a clear cut case where he is wrong and everyone else is right.

This is one of the issues that we will have to deal with, especially with games that depend on their realism, and especially given the increasing realism and respect being given to games as legitimate modern media. It can't just be all about fun and games anymore. Those days are past us, alas.

Meg

I'm not saying the Germans are cool with Nazism. I'm just pointed out how stupid it is that people are fine with Nazis, but not the Taliban. The Nazis are not gone, they still exist today in small groups, even in Ameria. Even if they were gone completely words like Holocaust, Nazism, Hitlar, and swastika still hold an incredible amount of power. So it is not that different.

*realizes something* Uh oh. Once an discussion on the net becomes about Hitler any chance of a rational argument is lost. We should stop. :wacko:

Ember To Inferno

Eternal Rest
moseslmpg;280524 said:
But the difference is that the Nazis are gone. The Taliban and Islamic extremists are not, and they have exacted a very real and tangible influence on the contemporary world. So to compare the two is overreaching in a way that is characteristic of gamer rhetoric.

Jack says something crazy, gamers say something opposite yet usually equally crazy. That's how it tends to go.

I myself feel sorry for him. I didn't know he had been disbarred, that is a shame. He certainly believes in what he is doing, and he has seen firsthand the aftermath of violence which he attributes to videogames so it is understandable that he would be saying things like this. And with the exclusion of the Taliban from the game, this certainly isn't a a clear cut case where he is wrong and everyone else is right.

This is one of the issues that we will have to deal with, especially with games that depend on their realism, and especially given the increasing realism and respect being given to games as legitimate modern media. It can't just be all about fun and games anymore. Those days are past us, alas.

1st Paragraph: The Nazi party is gone and no longer in power yes, but Neo-Nazis currently exist, albeit no political power as antecedently said. So technically in sense both the Talibans and the Nazi-Party have had an after-shock on the world, although the Talibans can compass a little known munition called the "Nuke". Thus in a hierarchically manner, Taliban > Neo-Nazis. Just clarifying your post a bit, as the two are relatively similar and comparable, although not so at the same time.

2nd Paragraph:

Pretty much, although his showing of attacking anyone who plays games simply because of his opinion on them makes him a bigot, and thus doesn't justify his accusation of telling every gamer that exists to "Go to hell". He can attempt to dismantle games all he likes, but when he unequivocally attacks everyone in this way it's sort of over doing it.

3rd Paragraph: I myself agree here, as it was the gamer communities fault in removing the Talibans from the game, not his.

4th Paragraph: That's why I rather enjoy Dead Rising 2, it doesn't take its self seriously at all. You can make 1 Bowie knife spawn 6 so you can duct tape them onto boxing gloves for claw like weapons :lol: Good fun.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Ember To Inferno;280548 said:
3rd Paragraph: I myself agree here, as it was the gamer communities fault in removing the Talibans from the game, not his.

Actually it was the fault of numerous complaints from families and friends of soldiers rather than the gaming community itself.
It wouldn't be so bad if it were the soldiers themselves, but hell, even members of the armed forces have expressed a desire to play the game.

Yet EA buckles from pressure of groups who won't, nor ever had any intention to play the game in the first place.
What frustrates me most about this is that if these sorts of things keep happening, where publishers and developers bow down to the vocal complaints of people who directly want nothing to do with video games in the first place, then gaming as a form of expression and an art form will never be taken seriously.

Jack Thompson is just a tremendous tool who has been in the business of trolling the gaming community for years and years just because he can. He stopped the R-18 rating from coming into Australia for god knows how many years simply because he was the only person who begrudgingly stood against it without any real evidence to back up his case.

He regularly refers to us as a community as little more than idiot man-children time wasters who need to "go out and get lives". As well as that, one of his biggest, high profile misgivngs was to directly insult a GameFAQs user who took his own life with absolutely no remorse and no care for the feelings of anyone close to him.

The letter he sent is here, for anyone who cares to read.

Jack Thompson said:
"Your "gamer friend" will find peace through the Lord, Jesus Christ, but sadly it's too late for that.

There is a void in every heart. You can fill it up with the things of God, or the things not of God. This unfortunate soul chose to fill it up with combat games.

The playing of these video games is masturbatory activity, meaning senseless self-stimulation. If you gamers could use a dictionary you would know that that term is not necessarily a sexual one.

The real tragedy here extends beyond the life and death of this one fellow. There are literally millions of young people and young adults whose despair is deepend by turning to the things of this world and then finding them meaningless.

All of you gamers need to put down the controllers and get a life. The utter inanity of the vast majority of postings here shows how vapid "gaming" really is.

You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.

Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess.

Sad. Sad for all of you."

He is a moronic, idiotic man who deserves absolutely no sympathy, the very reason he was disbarred is because his mental state and ability to reason were called into question and his pathetic smear campaign against the gaming community, developers and games themselves have gone on for far too long.

The man truly disgusts me.

TL;DR Screw Jack Thompson.

aka958

Don't trust people
Angelo Credo;280677 said:
Actually it was the fault of numerous complaints from families and friends of soldiers rather than the gaming community itself.
It wouldn't be so bad if it were the soldiers themselves, but hell, even members of the armed forces have expressed a desire to play the game.

Yet EA buckles from pressure of groups who won't, nor ever had any intention to play the game in the first place.
What frustrates me most about this is that if these sorts of things keep happening, where publishers and developers bow down to the vocal complaints of people who directly want nothing to do with video games in the first place, then gaming as a form of expression and an art form will never be taken seriously.

Jack Thompson is just a tremendous tool who has been in the business of trolling the gaming community for years and years just because he can. He stopped the R-18 rating from coming into Australia for god knows how many years simply because he was the only person who begrudgingly stood against it without any real evidence to back up his case.

He regularly refers to us as a community as little more than idiot man-children time wasters who need to "go out and get lives". As well as that, one of his biggest, high profile misgivngs was to directly insult a GameFAQs user who took his own life with absolutely no remorse and no care for the feelings of anyone close to him.

The letter he sent is here, for anyone who cares to read.

He is a moronic, idiotic man who deserves absolutely no sympathy, the very reason he was disbarred is because his mental state and ability to reason were called into question and his pathetic smear campaign against the gaming community, developers and games themselves have gone on for far too long.

The man truly disgusts me.

TL;DR Screw Jack Thompson.

The hell does he think he is? I bet he has an angst against gamers because they have a hobby playing games thus making it a hobby trying to stop them.

He segregates gamers from the rest of the people in the world. Telling that we are ignorant and got an IQ of 10.

This dude = no lifer who does nothing but trying to destroy for the one's that do have a life in envy.

He can't even see that gaming is entertainment, such as movies, books, music, etc.

He can get back to do nothing but writing his troll letters. In the end of his life he will notice how ****ing stupid he was and that he wasted the majority of his life trying to destroy for others.

Also: Trolls from GameFAQs response would've been something like this I think:
"Lol get a life"
"l2live"
"Nobody cares"
"Bronze league confirmed"
"My charisma score is infinite times better than yours, you don't stand a chance"
"ITT: Jack Thompson thinks anyone gives a damn"
"Yupp. You heard it folks! Jack Thompson doesn't give a **** about people dying when he can insult them even after they've died!"

I love GameFAQs trolls. They are epic. =D

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Do you think he'd say that stuff in a room full of gamers?
Does this guy know what he is on about.
If it wasn't for video games I would be dead.

I'm suprised no one has actually used their FPS skill and killed him by now :D

I, I just... EPIC FAIL...

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^You don't need FPS skills for that VB.*Gets the Buster Sword*.There are more ways to make the bastard suffer.

*Rides off to the sunset with Fenrir.*

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Devil Bane;280720 said:
^You don't need FPS skills for that VB.*Gets the Buster Sword*.There are more ways to make the bastard suffer.

*Rides off to the sunset with Fenrir.*

*cough* *points to pet Xenomorph* I have a better way.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
I think... we should use all methods at our disposal.
Personally, If the xenomorph gets good results... what the hell :D
Just as long as it is a painful death and i can ram a couple of controllers up JT's rectum.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xeno's have tongue-mouths and implant embryos into people, so you can torture him as much as you want. Just steer clear when you start hearing his ribs cracking. >:3

The crazy demon

Metal Gear Vindicare.
Vergil'sB*tch;280759 said:
I think... we should use all methods at our disposal.
Personally, If the xenomorph gets good results... what the hell :D
Just as long as it is a painful death and i can ram a couple of controllers up JT's rectum.

Lady, instead of controls i suggest you use a Xbox or a PS3 >;3

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
What a waste of a console:lol:. I prefer controllers... they have nobbly bits and bits that stick out..

Storm: I assume that is a Xenomorph in your avi?
I'm not sure how how wide the human butt hole can stretch

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Yep. And she's about as ready to kill as any other.

In hentai, it can stretch surprisingly far... Not that I'd know. >.>

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
*Imitates Rowan Atkison's voice*Oh,believe me,an eternity in hell with Satan and his demons torturing him in the worst possible way will be a parkwalk compared to five seconds with me...*picks up something*and this tissue.

Top Bottom