• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Tokyo Game Show 2012

crush

At last...I'm home! Took a wrong direction!
I would humbly like to make a review of the gamplay...

NOTE: My punctuation is a mess...sorry guys. And this post is long. And contains tons of personal opinions.

But first I would like you to see how many people supports or have interest in DmC.
Yeah..I thought nobody would like to play emo-haired Dante with his cussing terrible personality...I was quite mistaken.

ncm0339.jpg

...sorry true fans of DMC but I can't help laughing.

And I only arrived at the booth after 15 minutes the gates opened.
When I took the photo I was like about in at the half of the line, think there are more behind me...It's a bloody legion.

...watching the previous traliers on the screen on the right above.
I realized there was a NEW trailer involving the pier and the amusement park.
The boss is as you know, the hunter demon. He climbs up the bulidings of the pier like King Kong and makes a nasty sneer at Dante. He pesters you with his cable gun throughout the stage.
But what I found interesting is as the wire missed and hit the ground, limbo made a huge convulsion and grasped at the ground with a huge fist. Possibly High ranked demons are able to pull off this feat.
There was the introduction to the house of horrors stage. Which scary puppets crackling with electricity are involved.
Also the stingers are armed with fire bombs which you can deflect at them and blast a crowd of enemies.
The last confrontation is with the hunter demon. He has this belt/pouch? of weapons and selects his hunting knife...
The two dashes towards each other, Dante aggresivly scraping his sword on the ground, and the trailer ended.

After about 40 min The time has finally come... I was freed of the mob that swollen to about to 70~90 people. (They had made restrictions of lining up at this point) and was allowed to play DmC.
I was dissapointed because it wasn't the new stages so I selected the city stage...just in case.

After Dante smacking the can out of the obese man and limbo closed upon me, I realised the graphics are a bloody masterpiece at close up !....NT you are the best. Dante looks cooler then in the trailers!
As the colours fill the world I finally was allowed to walk around. I was quite surprised how Angel boost has a more smooth motion than sky-star..
And the Enemies appeared. First I was playing ordinary. Oh, you should be grateful that it IS DMC! Once you get your enemy up with hightime and doing combos you WILL feel relieved that NT baked it good.
But...yeah, I found it was quite hard for me to direct Dante in a different direction when a second enemy appears because there is no lock-on. But I quickly found out there is something wrong. not like the original series.

The enemies are aggresive as HELL on the ground. (Oh, who said it was easy?)
The normal drones are not a problem but the Chainsaw Dude is a prick. This enemy will make a HOMING charge attack.
I found this out because I back angel-boosted. And saw this dude curving towards me. With 4 drones this is chaos.
And yup, the stingers make it worse. lol...so I had to change my strategy to the sky. This is where it gets fun.

I yanked the shields off the cherubs and made a full-level charge shot (which could be charged to a level of 3) at them with my axe-head. And it instantly obliterated them off-screen. As a fan of gunslinger...it was a very satisfying moment.
After I dealt with them I hightimed a drone...and then I found out Osirs's Hanger is a very strong ability. It's more like a shovel. With Osiris's 360 degree combo there is nobody to interrupt your fun !
But my favorite is Arbiter. It's makes you pump with adrenaline as you smash off the heads of enemies and see them screaming like sissys.

Meanwhile I used Dante's DT when I saw a chainsaw charging towards me...Before playing I thought this was the lamest Dt in the series. But I was wrong. Actually the transformation is very cool as the music stops and the screen goes like classic DMC.
Besides his hair...(That is now white as you know) his coat looks like blood red wings in the air. (Oh this is DEVIL trigger, no?)
And the strong rock from the controller...it's like telling me "It's ass kicking time!"

After the fighting sequence. Limbo closes down on you. I know from the previous demos that it is not quite a threat but it was damn frightning. But it actually was quite fun. Like a escape mission from megaman.

Well...that's my 10 minute demo. Phew, I wanted to write more ya know. lol

AngelMode

Nice, you got to see a new trailer and play the game XD That's awesome.

And you just confirmed the Ricoshot having different levels. I sort of figured this out when I saw some videos of Capcom Unity, how Greg's shots didn't work too well when he charged it really quickly.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
At last...I'm home! Took a wrong direction!
But my favorite is Arbiter. It's makes you pump with adrenaline as you smash off the heads of enemies and see them screaming like sissys.
phoenix_wright_hold_it.gif
Crush, I'm sorry, but I can't let you finish
But that weapon sounds fun in any game series that ISN'T supposed to be fast paced action and stylish.

It just makes it sound brutal, and it confirms my fears,

The weapon is not quick and combo chaining, but instead just a freaking piece of brutal dogsh*t, put in their to appeal the GoW fanboys, who won't play anything without gore and blood.

I cannot even see this weapon being USED in a DMC game, much less one of the primary weapons.

Do I need to elaborate?

Allow me to.

While weapons like Osiris from this game and Cerberus from DMC3 fit PERFECTLY in DMC gameplay wise, this game takes a turn for the worst, and decides to make a weapon focused on brutality and violence, without even thinking about stylishness,

This weapon is used to decapitate, not to rack up a combo, and for that, it belongs in any Hack and slash-Beat em up EXCEPT for DMC.

Now I know what you are going to say, "But this is DmC, not DMC"

objection_by_speccysy-d4odss5.png

But why the HELL would you call it a Devil May Cry reboot, if it does not even have the same GAMEPLAY as the original, reboot means to change the story and keep the key aspects of what made the series. IF you are ONLY keeping the responsiveness of the combat (which is shared by God Of War, a completely different game), then it would make much more sense to make it a new IP.

AngelMode

Arbiter is not a mindless smashing demon brute weapon.... mainly because you are bound to get hit in the middle of a combo if you use it mindlessly. The weapon is meant to be used as a poke between combos. Like use the launching attack that hits from afar and then switch to angel, do an angel lift, and use Osiris in the air. Or basically to finish off an enemy with a high damage attack. Now, how is doing that brute? I call that stylish.

My point is, weapons in DMC aren't meant to be fast, but meant to give the player something to think about. For example, it took the longest time for me to get used to Lucifer in DMC4 because of how odd its moveset was. The weapon wasn't exactly fast, it didn't do damage at all, and swords just came out in random places. I was mindblown by how stupid of a weapon it was... until I realized that the weapon can be devastating, using it the right way.

And all that aside, don't get my started with the Nevan guitar. That weapon was slower than the Arbiter...

KnightBatman

Can't wait to see this new trailer you mentioned! If we get that and the trailer that played with Resident Evil Retribution, the wait for January may be just a bit easier to handle

ninjaa93

i think the Osiris is kinda overpowered especially if it get in the hands of a person who can jump cancel btw i find it funny how they only show helm breaker jump cancel and in all this time none knows how to do it but Dom in the streams its not that hard

ninjaa93

i know we don't get demo's until the game is close but i think it would be fair if they let the world play before they go gold just in case

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Lets not forget most of Pandora's moves the ones that you have to be completely immobile to use or that flying one and lets not forget Omen...the one move that takes forever to activate.

crush

phoenix_wright_hold_it.gif
Crush, I'm sorry, but I can't let you finish
But that weapon sounds fun in any game series that ISN'T supposed to be fast paced action and stylish.

It just makes it sound brutal, and it confirms my fears,
stylishness,
This weapon is used to decapitate, not to rack up a combo, and for that, it belongs in any Hack and slash-Beat em up EXCEPT for DMC.

Waaaait! I said at the top it's my very personal opinion at the first. And Mr Random you guessed it, I must admit I like Santa monica.
But let me explain.
As you know, Arbiter normal button mash Combo is Veeeeerrry slow. I actually rarely used it as a starter and it's rather hard to hit as Osiris.
So, is this only a hunk of beef? the answer is no.There is a thing I didn't write at the top. (Sorry I got tired you know!)
What makes this weapon stylish is it's laucher attack. Tremor. To be precise, it's shockwave.
It launches multiple enemies upwards if executed carefully and will add tons of stylish points.
After doing so, Angel lift and using Osiris will make a multi-enemy hitting combo. Starting from afar.
Deciding how you are starting your combo is very integral in this game.

The other thing that makes Arbiter good is...well it might be a a element of brutalness but, shield cracking.
The drones shield takes more than 20 hits or so from your other arsenals.
So doing a Rebellion pause weapon change to Arbiter and doing a trinity smash will disarm him with speed.

Overall yup, I must admit that this weapon can't be used to hang enemies into the air like Osiris.
But starting and finishing with this weapon makes things more stylish, it's like pepper.

AngelMode

i think the Osiris is kinda overpowered especially if it get in the hands of a person who can jump cancel btw i find it funny how they only show helm breaker jump cancel and in all this time none knows how to do it but Dom in the streams its not that hard

Dom seems to have practiced that helm breaker JC only, enough to get decently good at doing it a few times... but I have seen him fail it as well.

I don't know if some attacks of Osiris can be cancelled into enemy step because the weapon has very long reach, and Dante is usually significantly far away from the enemy when hitting it...

The game no longer requires enemy step to keep Dante in the air for a long time though... since some moves like Osiris' Rake are so retarded and keep Dante in the air for a longer time, brings enemies up, and combos can be performed right after it again...

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
And all that aside, don't get my started with the Nevan guitar. That weapon was slower than the Arbiter...
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=6164894
http://devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/Nevan#Movesets

True, the Nevan guitar was slow, but how many hits did it do per attack? That weapon actually WAS DESIGNED to attack stylishly, by hitting an enemy multiple times at once.

Furthermore the prosecution would like to add that the weapon did have a very fast attack in it's roster.

"Feedback" was a sword master move.

And Arbiter is not meant to do a poke in between combos.

According to 99.9% of what I have seen of it, it is completely brutal, and a violent finishing weapon.

Let us look at the evidence.

First and foremost, when I see it used to finish an enemy off, the enemy is straight up SPLIT IN HALF. (Sometimes followed by the words "Flawless kill" back in 2011, back when this game was REALLY looking brutal as opposed to stylish.)

But now for the prosecutions opinion on the GAME as a whole.

While the game looks like it may suffer from brutality as opposed to stylish action, and Dante does act like some kind of delinquent ass-hole. That is no reason not to get this game. I would recommend getting it after a price drop to at least $40.00. But that is just to give ol' Capcom a little payback for rebooting the series before finishing it. However, the game looks like a fun experience from head to toe, and something that will keep gamers occupied. If I had to guess, since I have not played it, I wouldn't put it next to DMC, but next to God Of War. And do not get me wrong, I do love brutal action, Manhunt was one of my all time favorites. But I prefer it stay isolated from Stylish action. Overall, there is no reason not to get DmC:Devil may Cry, but there is also no reason to call it a Devil May Cry game. So, if you are an open minded gamer, who wants to wail on something, DmC is the perfect opportunity to bully some demons.

miles-bow(b).gif

Devil Player

A new trailer? Nice, I can't wait! I'm glad you loved the event, crush. :)

So, based on the trailers, we know a ton of stuff:

Lilith won't die in the Night Club mission, considering she will be part of some kind of exchange deal between Dante and Mundus.

I bet the exchange part IS the ending of the game.

We have idea about at least 10 missions: Pier mission ( first one), Under Watch, Overturn, Devil's Dalliance ( Night Club), Virility Factory, another city mission ( based on the new trailer), train station, the exchange part is obviously a mission ( you see Dante following a car, in the trailer), there is a part where Dante is fighting flying demons ( in the new trailer, something like a red tower and a evil tower) which is another mission...If Barbas battle and Poison battle count as different missions, then we have even more.

Bosses are probably the Hunter Demon guy, Poison, Bob Barbas, the chainsaw demon that appeared in the new trailer, Lilith, Mundus and Vergil. I think there won't be a ton of bosses in this game. Maybe 1 or 2 bosses weren't revealed, but I guess that's about it.

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
In all fairness, NT wouldn't have been able to make the game as great as it is (well just basing it off what I've seen) without Capcom's guidance.
I may have to disagree with you there, given their track record.

Most Western companies aren't all that likely to just be adept at creating great fighting systems like the ones DMC 3 and 4 had.

wait where is the new demo with the train station? The frikin youtube link wont work
It was a live event.
And since YT isn't twitch.tv, we may not be able to see it for a while.

Devil Player

Thanks dude!. I'm overwhelmed to be honest.

And of being unstylish and sloppy, the DMC4 prop & real impact DT muliti hit is more unattractive but accepted. And abused...even from noobs. It's a tech only for killing. Am I wrong?

You're welcome, pal. XD

Yeah, some moves from DMC 4 took a time to be performed. I agree 100% with you, regarding how many people keep using them, lol.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Actually the enemy spliced in half animation happens no matter what weapons you use but it depends on the enemies. I've seen enemies smashed to pieces by Eryx and hacked to pieces with Rebellion.

DMC4 had tons of brutality within its content of gameplay.

Lets not forget that Nero Red Queen Combo where Nero repeatedly bashes the opponent with his sword in a violent manner.

This new Dante is a mix of old Dante & Nero considering he has a lot of Nero's moves as well not just his grappling hook (Devil Bringer).

Who says Brutality cannot be stylish.

Even Bayonetta had some very brutal and I MEAN BRUTAL Devastation finishing attacks does that mean that game isn't stylish or deserves to be next to DMC.

AngelMode

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=6164894
http://devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/Nevan#Movesets

True, the Nevan guitar was slow, but how many hits did it do per attack? That weapon actually WAS DESIGNED to attack stylishly, by hitting an enemy multiple times at once.

-The Arbiter is also designed to hit multiple enemies at once... seen its launcher? The only difference is that its projectile only hits grounded enemies.

Furthermore the prosecution would like to add that the weapon did have a very fast attack in it's roster.

-Please, don't do this Phoenix Wright bs... I'm sure you are far from being a lawyer, and if you are then I feel sorry for you.

"Feedback" was a sword master move.

-Don't remember that one... but this game doesn't use the style system, it just has some references to it.

And Arbiter is not meant to do a poke in between combos.

-Yeah it is. It's not meant to be used by itself for comboing, as opposed to something like Osiris. It's slow enough that will leave you wide open...

According to 99.9% of what I have seen of it, it is completely brutal, and a violent finishing weapon.

-Because people are just starting to play the game and don't use it right... hence why 99.9% of those 99.9% get hit whenever they use it.

Let us look at the evidence.

First and foremost, when I see it used to finish an enemy off, the enemy is straight up SPLIT IN HALF. (Sometimes followed by the words "Flawless kill" back in 2011, back when this game was REALLY looking brutal as opposed to stylish.)

-Most enemies split in half or blow up anyway... it's their death animation. It happens with Osiris, Rebellion, hell even the guns. So that argument is valid across the board, not just for Arbiter.

Top Bottom