• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

To those who give DINO a chance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
moseslmpg;273994 said:
I guess a way to rephrase the question is: Why do you even treat this like a DMC game? Why do you bend over backwards for this to fit into your image of what DMC is rather than reject it outright as a DMC game?

Why treat it like a DMC game? Because it's got DMC stamped all over it, and I don't mean the actual title for the game. The coat, the badassery, the moves, the demons, it all screams out DMC and should be treated as a DMC game as such. Maybe not the DMC game YOU envisioned, but it's got the name DMC5, it mentioned Dante = I'm sold on it being the next DMC.

Why bend over backwards for this to fit into my image of what DMC is? I'm not, and neither is anybody else who is sticking up for this game through the slush pile of attacks. I'm not going 'oh, well, he's not blonde, and he doesn't look hot, but his name is Dante and even if he smokes, oh well, the new Dante tralala'. Heck no. This guy doesn't fit the bill, he doesn't come close! But then my view on it is that it's all very likely meant to deceive us. I don't believe the Dante in the trailer is our Dante, but I have a feeling that our Dante is IN the game.

Why not reject it as a DMC game outright? Are you CrAzY?! LOL :lol: And say now I'm right and this 'Dante' is not our Dante and our Dante is in there going by the alias 'Tony'? Then I'm shooting myself in the foot by missing out on a fantastic game because my first impression of it was tainted by having a biased outlook on it. I'd rather keep an open mind and get peeved off if they DO actually screw it up when the game is released, rather than get worked up into a tizz NOW because I jump to conclusions.

Vampi

Chloe_Ryder;274037 said:
Why treat it like a DMC game? Because it's got DMC stamped all over it, and I don't mean the actual title for the game. The coat, the badassery, the moves, the demons, it all screams out DMC and should be treated as a DMC game as such. Maybe not the DMC game YOU envisioned, but it's got the name DMC5, it mentioned Dante = I'm sold on it being the next DMC.

Dante's coat doesn't look like that. He's not badass he's cliche and westernize. I didn't see him do any of Dante's signature moves. The demons don't look anything like the Marionettes from DMC 1 or the Scarecrows from DMC 4, or even the sand demons in DMC 3 (though they kinda do resemble those iron maiden demons in DMC 2). So i have no idea why you conclude that this screams out DMC when its barely a whimper.

Oh and btw, its not called DMC 5. Its called DmC: Devil May Cry. (Yes the subtitle is Devil May Cry and the "m" in DmC is lower case. Its not me. Capcom made it that way)

And also, you never see the character say he is Dante. You hear it, but you don't see him say it.

Capcom is known to edit and place either dialogue or scenes that don't go consistantly with each other in their trailers. Look at the past trailers for DMC and you'll know not all of the dialogue or scenes are in that particular order.

Maybe the real Dante is in here, maybe not. But you just can't approach this as a DMC game. The gameplay is not stylish enough (its rather slow). There's no gothic setting (it has more of a DMC 2 vibe with the warehouses and city). And well, Dante looks really old even tho he's suppose to be really young. This is suppose to be a younger Dante...i guess much younger then DMC 3 Dante, which is absurd. But since this is a REBOOT. Emphasis on the word REBOOT. You can't automatically assume just because it has the DMC name on it that it is DMC. Its like me making a puzzle game and saying its DMC when its most absolutely not.

I think everyone is having way too much faith hoping we'll see the real Dante...if there's even the original Dante that we know in this game. You should approach the game for what it is....a new game that has nothing really to do with the original DMC. I will now refer to it as DINO, meaning

DMC

In

Name

Only

So everytime we talk about this game, we should refer it as a new game that is nothing like the true Devil May Cry. So yes guys say hello to DINO.

Also, its not bad if people like this game, even though we haven't seen any gameplay of it really. Its just that when people say "Oh i like it cause it says DMC on it". Well guess what? Its not DMC. It has none of DMC aesthetic at all. So try not to be like sheep just because it has DMC as its title, and realize what this game is. A rebooted game of an old series that's practically dead at this moment.

I'm even interested in knowing more about the game. But i'm not fooling myself to treat it as DMC. I'm treating it as a new IP.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
With the coat I meant the colours are the same as Nero's, red and blue (or it might have been black, it came out as really dark deep blue on my screen).
Also when the bullets are fired it's purple - a trait to DMC by now.
The demons don't look anything like the previous bunch in the games, so the argument that the ones in the trailer don't look anything like the marionettes defeats the point. They are demons, he is killing them with stylish moves - that's what I meant with 'there are demons'. What would DMC be without them? (...lol...don't want to imagine that)

And he is badass. Yeah he's cliché, but then so was Dante with his lame ass 'yo momma' jokes and his famous one liners. He has the same moves as Dante and he's got the same lazy aura about him that makes him badass.

And thanks for clearing up about the name, but it remains that it is a devil may cry game.

And also, you never see the character say he is Dante. You hear it, but you don't see him say it.
I thought of pointing that out too, because they focus on the character when the voice says it, but I don't want people to tell me 'stop grasping for straws' because I'm fairly sure it was all meant to deceive the fans and win some reaction from us. Think about it, what would we talk about for longer? A trailer featuring Dante for barely a minute - we'll ooh and aah and 'YAY Capcom is giving us Dante!' and the buzz will fizzle out MONTHS before the release date. OR, do you smack the fans in the face with some new guy who they give us the impression claims to BE the beloved protagonist, and know that there will be talk of this game up until the date of release? I doubt it matters whether the reaction from fans is positive or negative. You can't please everyone, and Capcom should know well by now that pleasing the DMC fanbase is never gonna happen. That's why they tell us "We've got candy for you" and make us wait and starve and wait some more until we all start to lose hope, and then they remind us "Hey, we've still got that candy for you" and we all go @.@ GIVE!!! And Capcom FINALLY dangles the candy above us and the fans go "Oh. But I wanted a different flavour candy. BOO!!!!!!"

Anyway, it's all part of their marketing ploy, I feel. Even with the words REBOOT and REBIRTH being tossed around, Capcom is not completely retarded. They're not going to change our blonde Dante into an unrecognisable character, no matter how westernized they want to go. There's a difference between remaking a series and killing it, and I'm sure Capcom knows where the borderlines lie.

Also, you say that the gameplay isn't stylish yet you admit that we didn't get to see any gameplay, so how you can judge that the gameplay is slow goes beyond me. And there is one of the Dante signature moves in there. The bit that starts at 1:11 in the trailer is a copy move that Dante pulls when defeating the knights in the beginning of DMC4. It has plenty of DMC influence in there, maybe not as in your face like Bayonetta but then they don't need to be obvious about it, since it is a DMC game.

And no one said they like it because it says DMC on it. Who said that, seriously?

Chrysander

I think that if he didn't say "dante", and if it didn't say "DmC" on it, then nobody would have ever guessed or even suggested that it was Devil May Cry, and certainly would not have said it was Dante. I think that's the point moses is making. Regardless of whether it's going to be good or bad, it is not actually recognisable as DMC or Dante, except that we are told so. I find this whole situation really odd, I woke up this morning and thought perhaps I'd dreamed what I saw last night! Nope

moseslmpg;273984 said:
Anyway, to those of you who do give it a chance, why is that? Why treat it like a DMC game at all at this point?
I think im gonna play it :\
cuz it still cary the name of DMC and it's related to DMC and it's about DMC
it's a worst thing that they made a reboot but we are not capable of doing anything are we? so we have to play it :) it's about Dante so no problem( this is th last thing I can say) but he is smokin and his ALOT different face, I cannot accept it.

Vampi

Chloe_Ryder;274050 said:
With the coat I meant the colours are the same as Nero's, red and blue (or it might have been black, it came out as really dark deep blue on my screen).
Also when the bullets are fired it's purple - a trait to DMC by now.
The demons don't look anything like the previous bunch in the games, so the argument that the ones in the trailer don't look anything like the marionettes defeats the point. They are demons, he is killing them with stylish moves - that's what I meant with 'there are demons'. What would DMC be without them? (...lol...don't want to imagine that)

And he is badass. Yeah he's cliché, but then so was Dante with his lame ass 'yo momma' jokes and his famous one liners. He has the same moves as Dante and he's got the same lazy aura about him that makes him badass.

And thanks for clearing up about the name, but it remains that it is a devil may cry game.

I thought of pointing that out too, because they focus on the character when the voice says it, but I don't want people to tell me 'stop grasping for straws' because I'm fairly sure it was all meant to deceive the fans and win some reaction from us. Think about it, what would we talk about for longer? A trailer featuring Dante for barely a minute - we'll ooh and aah and 'YAY Capcom is giving us Dante!' and the buzz will fizzle out MONTHS before the release date. OR, do you smack the fans in the face with some new guy who they give us the impression claims to BE the beloved protagonist, and know that there will be talk of this game up until the date of release? I doubt it matters whether the reaction from fans is positive or negative. You can't please everyone, and Capcom should know well by now that pleasing the DMC fanbase is never gonna happen. That's why they tell us "We've got candy for you" and make us wait and starve and wait some more until we all start to lose hope, and then they remind us "Hey, we've still got that candy for you" and we all go @.@ GIVE!!! And Capcom FINALLY dangles the candy above us and the fans go "Oh. But I wanted a different flavour candy. BOO!!!!!!"

Anyway, it's all part of their marketing ploy, I feel. Even with the words REBOOT and REBIRTH being tossed around, Capcom is not completely retarded. They're not going to change our blonde Dante into an unrecognisable character, no matter how westernized they want to go. There's a difference between remaking a series and killing it, and I'm sure Capcom knows where the borderlines lie.

Also, you say that the gameplay isn't stylish yet you admit that we didn't get to see any gameplay, so how you can judge that the gameplay is slow goes beyond me. And there is one of the Dante signature moves in there. The bit that starts at 1:11 in the trailer is a copy move that Dante pulls when defeating the knights in the beginning of DMC4. It has plenty of DMC influence in there, maybe not as in your face like Bayonetta but then they don't need to be obvious about it, since it is a DMC game.

And no one said they like it because it says DMC on it. Who said that, seriously?

Dino's coat (Dino is also meant for the new "Dante" as in "Dante In Name Only" as well) coat is red and black with the British flag on the upper arm of his left arm. There's no blue there. :p Also Dante has never fired a purple flash when he fire off his gun. But then again Nero kinda did when you do his Charge Shot. Anyway, that's alright if you don't notice these as much.

Actually the demons remind me of the Iron Maiden demons in DMC 2 (they're called Argonofinis). I see the resemblance just a lil. But that's just me.

Maybe i was looking at the wrong trailer cause i didn't see him use any moves that were stylish against the demons. His bullet shooting skills were when he shot them and he didn't do Rainstorm or anything like that. All of his "stylish" moves were so vanilla compared what the original Dante executed. But i get what you're trying to say a lil. But still, if that's what they consider stylish and over the top then i can only fathom how the gameplay will be.

Dante never said "Yo momma" jokes, yeah he was a cornball i'll give you that. But the thing that seperated Dante sumwhat from other main protagonist is that he always did stuff in a child like way. He was more sarcastic and witty, while other protagonist like Kratos and Ryu were super serious. Dante was rebellious but he didn't do it just for the sake of being rebellious. He did it cause he wanted to have more freedom more then anything. Dino looks like he has sum agenda and looks like a punk. DMC 3 Dante was rebellious, but he always did it in a playful innocent sorta way. Not jamming cigarette's in the head of an enemy.

I have no idea where you saw Dante's moves. Cause i don't see them at all. I don't think Dino is as lazy as Dante. It looks like he has a mission and will do anything to do it. I think the only thing he's lazy at is his hygiene, sumthing even the original Dante always took care of (remember DMC 3 Dante taking a shower at the beginning of DMC 3 before he answers the phone).

I agree about your candy analogy though. But Capcom has gone completely bonkers. You have to realize they did change our platinum haired hero into a dark haired goth kid. Until you fully accept that, you can't treat this game as a true DMC game just because Capcom is telling you this and that. Its a reboot, and reboots are practically another game really. They have not taken anything what makes DMC recognizable. Weird, since the creation of Nero Capcom was adamant that they wanted a protagonist that was easily recognizable with the DMC series. Dino is the complete opposite and i would never have concluded that Dino was DMC even without the title being revealed.

I think sum DMC fans are in a state of denial. Capcom did pretty much axe the franchise and i think they knew their borderline after the riot it caused with Nero and DMC 4. They just chose to ignore it.

Keiji Inafune was quoted that DMC 5 was meant to cater to the fans and that Capcom was listening. Oh they listen alright, one thing is listening another thing is truly comprehending what it all means. I can listen to music while doing my homework, but at the same time am i really listening to the music? No. I just want noise because being too quiet would probably make me go to sleep. Would i follow what the lyrics are saying? No cause i'm concentrating on my homework. You see where i'm getting at? Capcom can listen, but that doesn't mean they truly comprehend what the fans are saying.

The trailer is suppose to give us an idea on how the gameplay looks. And from the speed Dino shoots his guns, which is very slow, i have to conclude the action won't be as fast pace as the past DMC games. But i'll see what they have in store though. Western game are more slower base rather then the headache inducing adrenaline rush Japanese action games are. And you're gonna have to show me what move Dante does with the Knights in DMC 4. Cause from what i saw of the Dino trailer i don't see any recognizable move from DMC 4 that he did.

And you asked "And no one said they like it because it says DMC on it. Who said that, seriously?" Well you should read the post from the other users in this thread carefully. They keep saying "Oh it has the DMC name. I'll get it" and this and that. They're saying the name is more important then the identity. Like Moses said "What's in a name?" and what constitutes as DMC in sum fans eyes. Is it the name or the aesthetic? Again, i have a fantastic puzzle game that is called DMC. I don't care what you say or what you've known of DMC, i call it DMC so it is DMC. Get what i'm trying to say here?

Chrysander;274055 said:
I think that if he didn't say "dante", and if it didn't say "DmC" on it, then nobody would have ever guessed or even suggested that it was Devil May Cry, and certainly would not have said it was Dante. I think that's the point moses is making. Regardless of whether it's going to be good or bad, it is not actually recognisable as DMC or Dante, except that we are told so. I find this whole situation really odd, I woke up this morning and thought perhaps I'd dreamed what I saw last night! Nope

You're half right. What Moses is trying to ask is that why should we DMC fans accept it as a DMC game when it most certainly doesn't carry the recognizable key elements that identified a DMC game, like the whole look of the game and such. Why should we give it a chance when it most certainly doesn't have the qualities of a DMC game. Alot of games in the past tried to emulate DMC gameplay and aesthetic, why did we shun those but not shun this game? That's what Moses is trying to figure out on the people who are giving this game a chance. Why should we treat it as DMC? And why should a name matter when the game in question looks nothing like the original in style?

Drakkar;274060 said:
I think im gonna play it :\
cuz it still cary the name of DMC and it's related to DMC and it's about DMC
it's a worst thing that they made a reboot but we are not capable of doing anything are we? so we have to play it :) it's about Dante so no problem( this is th last thing I can say) but he is smokin and his ALOT different face, I cannot accept it.

You're mistaken. It might carry the name DMC but its not related to the past DMC. You can't approach this game thinking that Lady or Trish will make an appearance. Its not about the DMC we know. Its a completely new game. If you approach it as DMC then you're in for a rude awakening.

How do you know is about Dante or not? It could be about sumone Dante is trying to save. Again, Capcom is known for being tricky with their trailers. None of the dialogues in their past trailers of DMC were in order.

Guys i'm not bashing this game, honestly. It looks very interesting and i want to see what Ninja Theory's reimagining of this franchise is. But i will not approach Dino hoping against hope that Dante will all of a sudden have a full head of platinum white hair and that i'll see Vergil like we knew him in DMC 3. You should treat this as a new game, and that's not a bad thing to say.

Goldendriger

Personally, this matter is simple.

They've called it DMC, Not Devil May Cry, so i will call it "DMC" As such and treat it as a seperate game.

As a new game ill give it a chance (A rental THEN a purchase if its good)

But if the story goes: This guy isnt Dante, but thinks he is and goes crazy that his life is a lie and becomes the villain and the real Dante stomps him i just want you guys to know i called it =D

EDIT: I just thought of what Vampi said in regards to dialog in trailers, if you watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHN_VzU4wjc the DMC4 Trailer, you get the impression that Nero's arm is "Made for sending guys like you back to hell" after Dante's backtalk, so you get the impression Nero will send Dante back to hell, "Return it to me, and ill let you go" again, you think Dante is talking about Nero's arm, when we all know he's talking about Yamato. So maybe Vampi is on to something, maybe this guy isnt Dante but when someone asked "What is your name?" the guy didnt answer but they inserted "Dante" from a different part, i mean whats better publicity than an outrage? the trailer and topics are spreading like wildfire, free advertisements for them.

VI-Rainbow

Aya Brea
Since I'm open to this stuff, I'm going to at least give it a try. Hopes are not high here, but I'm going to stop bashing it and wait til it's release to say whether it's the biggest insult to the DMC series, or actually something worth playing.

moseslmpg

Chrysander;274055 said:
Yes, that is the gist of what I'm saying, exactly.

Chloe: There are other games that have characters more similar in name or attitude to the real Dante than DINO, and calling a game DMC doesn't make it a DMC game. If you want Dante, EA has him. Rising Zan has a similar character to the old wacky Dante. For gameplay, Bayonetta has it. For infernal setting, Darksiders and Dante's Inferno. For gothic setting, Castlevania.

Really, it seems there is nothing left that is "DMC" so the nly thing Capcom had to go on was tradition, and then they threw that right out of the window. This almost seems like Bizarro DMC.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
How many times have they rebooted Batman? yet there is nothing wrong....companies reboot things all the time...and the only changes they make may only be in appearance...they may keep the story and just shed more light...u know nothing..u shouldn't judge...this is capcom...this is DMC....either u trust it or u dont...if u do, ur a true fan...and if not, then ur only a Kamiya fan

moseslmpg

GamblingGambitCloud;274197 said:
How many times have they rebooted Batman? yet there is nothing wrong....companies reboot things all the time...and the only changes they make may only be in appearance...they may keep the story and just shed more light...u know nothing..u shouldn't judge...this is capcom...this is DMC....either u trust it or u dont...if u do, ur a true fan...and if not, then ur only a Kamiya fan
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance You seem to be suffering from this, almost hysterically. Get it checked out

2. How is this DMC, besides in name?

3. A true fan of DMC is someone who appreciates the game for its content, not its label. Blindly accepting whatever comes your way doesn't make you a fan at all, it makes you a casual consumer, in fact. You aren't a fan of DMC then, you are just a fan of holding a controller and pressing buttons.

Edit: I believe they have rebooted Batman only once actually, although there have been spinoffs and uncanonical reimaginings. But DMC isn't a comic and the same continuity rules don't apply, nor are they relevant.

bobek388

Bobek388
Even if it isn't a reboot and the guy we see isn't a real Dante I have to say. WTF!! They are adding another half demon? I thought that Dante and Vergil were supposed to be the only half demons, but then they added Nero and now this. I will give this game a little chance, But when the info on storyline will come and I won't like it I won't even buy this game, I won't buy it even if the only bad thing in it will be a new Dante look! I won't buy it even if there will be an atmosphere like in the trailer. Police or something enslaving Dante in the laboratory? WTF? It doesn't look like a DMC at all. What I don't understand, is why did they use the DMC name for this game if it's so different??

hugohugo

well, I blogged about it and its a bit long, I'll just share this:
DmC.jpg

to make it short, i think this could be a teenage dante

The crazy demon

Metal Gear Vindicare.
hugohugo;274372 said:
well, I blogged about it and its a bit long, I'll just share this:
DmC.jpg

to make it short, i think this could be a teenage dante

By the fact that indeed it can get rit of all plotholes confusion and still have the badass personality and gameplay of DMC, i agree with you :)

moseslmpg

That's a cool pic, much better than his actual design. The increased white hair is appropriate, and him not looking like a drug addict is nice too. It would have been nice if they went with that manic expression as well.

I don't understand where people are getting the idea that Dino is younger than DMC3 Dante though. He doesn't look it and he isn't, according to his supposed birth date which is July, 1989, according to his arrest report. Assuming they are taking present day as their reference, he's 21, which is older than Dante in DMC3.

I am struck by the willingness of some fans to so casually cast aside the past 4 games, as if they never cared for them in the first place. It is disturbing.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
First of all can i ask what do you guys mean when you talk about eastern/western styles of developing?
I would give DINO a chance since I'm just glad they are doing a devil may cry anything (video game,anime,manga,etc.)and i dont an official document saying its a reboot so im thinking it is a prequel and since they gave us nothing based on his childhood other than the snippet of info that Dante and Vergil lost their mom to demons and we have no frigging clue what happened between then and 10-11 years later when we have DMC3 this can be considered canon and help give us a deeper understanding of his childhood so go far it.
And im adopting a wait and see till i find out more info cause so far all we have is 6 screens and a trailer with a cutscene that is mostly action so im waiting for something more concrete.

Kittn

Dante's Lapcat
Since the thread is here, I just gotta ask. What in the world about this Nega-Dante appeals to any of you?

Seriously. Even as a stand alone game without any connection to DMC, I wouldn't want it if that fella has to be my hero. I know tastes are tastes, but I guess I just can't see what's so amazing about him. He kinda makes me want to vomit actually. Or spray him with a hose and some windex. :/

And likely that's why them calling him Dante and putting him in a game with this name on it such a huge sucker punch to so many people.

Seeing folks change their tune though, and then act like they are taking some moral high ground for doing so. What baloney. There's no moral high ground here. It doesn't make you a saint, and it doesn't make us disliking this game haters. Eesh. You guys say we haven't seen enough to decide if we like it, but if that's so, then there shouldn't be anyone defending it so voraciously either.

So those of ya'll who say we should at least wait for more info before saying no - why are you so quick to say yes, you'll buy it?

And I think this is what the point was: Especially to something that admittedly throws everything we knew (good and bad) out the window. What drew you to Devil May Cry in the first place, if this game is more to your taste?

And for me: This is just a generic looking action game with a gritty, dirty looking hero in it who smokes. Yeah. Not my idea of awesome. This character is ridiculous looking. I think if I lived in the UK I'd be sorta ticked at him having that flag on his sleeve as some "This is Euro-dante" label. And having a black and silver gun slinging hero does not a devil may cry make.

I've never been one to buy games on their genre. If a game appeals to me, I want it regardless of what type of game it is. It's probably why I don't like many of the other action games out there. And it's another reason why this new dmc stuff is such a bummer to me. I loved Devil May Cry (oh god, past tense!). This ain't it, guys. Say what you want, but it really isn't.

the DMC wiki said:
As initial fan reaction to the teaser has been quite negative, Capcom issued a statement clarifing that this game takes place in a different universe, as it is being developed by a different developer from previous titles of the franchise, and will not affect any story elements already established by the classic series.

This just sounds so ridiculous. Different universes. Alternate timelines. Blah. What is even the point. Just call it something else. You can even keep the name Dante for your putrid looking hero.

Asmodaius

I keep reading that this new Dante looks like a cliché...

The Dante we know from the past games, the Dante with the long red coat and the silver hair... He has japanese animé cliché written all over him! So I don't see it as a valid arguement.

I welcome this re-invention of Dante, and I could more or less just post my previous statements from other threads in here to defend why I do so, but I'm not going to. Chloe_Ryder actually said it, and I simply agree with it.

Can't wait to see more of this new Dante. ^^

Ats

Hey dumbfu*ks. I'm here to tell you that you haven't seen sh*t yet. Why the hell are you judging this game over some fu*king hair color. They just released a trailer and a picture. You don't have a fu*king clue what the game is gonna be about. None of us can't tell if the game is gonna be pure awesomeness or garbage. So stop this prejudice.

And excuse my vulgar language, but some of you are really stupid close minded twats. I'm just trying to make a point here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom