• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Timeline Changed - DMC 2 Now Takes Place Before DMC 4

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Anybody find it super weird that we still don't know who that first director of DMC2 was that left it in the state it's in for Itsuno to salvage?

It's probably for the best that it's not known to the public. Cause see, people on the internet have a very particular set of skills... Skills they've acquired over a very long career. Skills that make them a nightmare for people like him. They'd look for him, they'd find him, and they'd flame him.

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
@Lain They might as well, DMC3 was Capcom's version of Superman Red and Superman Blue. :ROFL:

Anybody find it super weird that we still don't know who that first director of DMC2 was that left it in the state it's in for Itsuno to salvage? Inb4 it turned out to be Ono or something.
Probably a nobody that Capcom just payed to make the game XD

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Probably a nobody that Capcom just payed to make the game XD
Nah, considering Itsuno and Kamiya are protecting the identity of who it is with a more professional "I ain't no snitch" mentality, it's way more intriguing if it's someone otherwise well-respected and they're taking it to the graves.

BlackAngel

Lol, I agree I was just bringing up that many fans wouldn't care why Dante attitude became pretty inconsistent between games. Giving an actual reason for his sudden change in attitude is something that should already be explained instead of Capcom putting effort into trying to white-wash Vergil actions.

That's why they need creative writers to write a story, to have players engage with the story. Not just combat gameplay.

That's rather grim, but, aside from that, I understand your point of view. However, over the years I've come to grips with the fact that the games were simply made by different people and that there is no cannon to explain these tremendous tonal shifts away. In the same way that the world of DMC1 is not one where one can ride rockets or drive motorcycles up towers the world of DMC2 has no tonal baring with the rest of the games. There is no hidden history, outside of the development one, and, if I am being honest with myself, no official reason would really suffice. There'd always be 'but then, why.'
They should've thought this through before doing anything. Story and characters are just as important as combat design, level design, and graphics. And they should give Dante character development, instead of an over-the-top and a care free character that never changes. As much as I love it, it could only go so far before it starts to get boring.

Now, they can make up a story about why Dante's is this over-the-top guy, because he's hiding his true self because of his demonic nature. He knows what he's really capable of, and there's a darkness inside of him that he's trying to contain. That's why he rather embrace his human side rather than his demon side.

Not really since his world version is still alive. Now if say Trish got possessed or mind controlled by some powerful demon (Urizen for example) and was firced to kill her. Then add on the fact that Dante had to kill Trish again from another timeline then it'd make sense but as it stand it's just not particularly strong in terms of motivations.
I think Patty being possessed by a demon would be more impactful, because he grew to love her and sees her as family. Since they been through so much together and she was a child at the time. Dante sees her as a daughter/sister figure, because he never had a chance to love someone. That would be a heavy thing for Dante to take her life to kill the demon and save Patty's soul.

Last edited:

Vergil95

Nah, considering Itsuno and Kamiya are protecting the identity of who it is with a more professional "I ain't no snitch" mentality, it's way more intriguing if it's someone otherwise well-respected and they're taking it to the graves.
I guess we will never know

That's why they need creative writers to write a story, to have players engage with the story. Not just combat gameplay.
They already have a good writer and it's bingo moriashi who writed dmc 3, 4, 5 and dmc anime, he even went upset when he find out dmc 4 would have cut many part of the story and decided to leave capcom and the project, thank God itsuno talked to him and he decided to stay

BlackAngel

I guess we will never know

They already have a good writer and it's bingo moriashi who writed dmc 3, 4, 5 and dmc anime, he even went upset when he find out dmc 4 would have cut many part of the story and decided to leave capcom and the project, thank God itsuno talked to him and he decided to stay
DMC3 is the only game that has a decent story. The rest they really need to work on, because it keeps following the exact same story: Enter town/demon world, defeat the villain, and save the day. It gets to be repetitive and tiresome. And I liked the anime because I can get to know Dante, and his daily life was like. The story has a lot of potential it's just the execution was a bit off.

berto

I Saw the Devil
They should've thought this through before doing anything
Should'a, would'a, didn'a. The issues started with 2. The director of that game did not think cool characters smiled. He thought they were stoic, they acted, they didn't talk about it. After that 3's interpretation got popular and that's what they stuck with.

Vergil95

DMC3 is the only game that has a decent story. The rest they really need to work on, because it keeps following the exact same story: Enter town/demon world, defeat the villain, and save the day. It gets to be repetitive and tiresome. And I liked the anime because I can get to know Dante, and his daily life was like. The story has a lot of potential it's just the execution was a bit off.
Well i don't see that repetitive lol they added Nero in 4 and they make dante the "villain" in the beggining, they added the whole religious thing
DMC5 put you against an unstoppable and mysterious villain who beat dante himself, you play whit 3 character to find out thr truth

Also This is dmc you fight demon and save the day, this is the core base of the story, but they always changed it and put innovation to keep it fresh

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Imagine calling Bingo Morihashi a good writer when he's at least half the reason the extended cast feels so superfluous, 4's plot was so predictable someone guessed it years before the game was even out within 8 pages of a thread being made to talk about it, Nero repeated his character arc from 4 in 5, and in 5 Vergil got a power-up from literally sitting on his butt letting a magic tree do the work of strengthening him. Can't relate.

Vergil95

Imagine calling Bingo Morihashi a good writer when he's at least half the reason the extended cast feels so superfluous, 4's plot was so predictable someone guessed it years before the game was even out within 8 pages of a thread being made to talk about it, Nero repeated his character arc from 4 in 5, and in 5 Vergil got a power-up from literally sitting on his butt letting a magic tree do the work of strengthening him. Can't relate.
Talk for yourself, i like the plot he made for dmc 3 4 and 5

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Yeah, that's literally why I said I can't relate. I am talking for myself and my experiences. If you believed Dante was the villain of 4 off of the trailer, the "Betrayer/Betrayed" marketing, and usual trickery with sound splicing, that's definitely on you, but that's not the plot they actually went with in the game. Same with DMC3's soft-reboot butchering of Dante's character to the "cuhrayzee" DGAF disaffected teen attitude when 1 established a clear quest for vengeance by him saying just three sentences about it. Same with 5 suggesting Dante would have the hardest fight of his life and the game would be the darkest it's ever been when it ended up rehashing 3's plot but with Nero in it and each of the Sparda boys gets a powerup in a completely unintuitive and invented-for-the-game way that vaguely suggests Sparda had to have some god-tier future sight for everything to play out well without the world going to Hell. I can't relate to thinking any of that comes from a good writer.

BlackAngel

Should'a, would'a, didn'a. The issues started with 2. The director of that game did not think cool characters smiled. He thought they were stoic, they acted, they didn't talk about it. After that 3's interpretation got popular and that's what they stuck with.
That's called being stagnant. It's nothing wrong with change and give characters development. As long as the execution is right. He does a very fine job with DMC3, he should've taken the step further to make stories more engaging.

Well i don't see that repetitive lol they added Nero in 4 and they make dante the "villain" in the beggining, they added the whole religious thing
DMC5 put you against an unstoppable and mysterious villain who beat dante himself, you play whit 3 character to find out thr truth

Also This is dmc you fight demon and save the day, this is the core base of the story, but they always changed it and put innovation to keep it fresh
Let me put it this way: It's not the defeat the villain/save the day that bothers me. It's the way they create it, and what they're doing is far too repetitive. I want characters to go through struggles of internal conflict, pain, loss, how they react on things, etc. That's why I liked DMC3 a lot and I just want them to do better than what they've done before.

Vergil95

Let me put it this way: It's not the defeat the villain/save the day that bothers me. It's the way they create it, and what they're doing is far too repetitive. I want characters to go through struggles of internal conflict, pain, loss, how they react on things, etc. That's why I liked DMC3 a lot and I just want them to do better than what they've done before.
Nero character have experienced loss and pain both in dmc 4 and 5, v himself is full of pain and loose
Unfortunately you have right about Trish and lady, and dante in dmc 4

BlackAngel

Nero character have experienced loss and pain both in dmc 4 and 5, v himself is full of pain and loose
Unfortunately you have right about Trish and lady, and dante in dmc 4

Nero was just a mess to begin with. He's just a Dante-look-a-like, has the same personality except he's a edgy teenager, and he has no depth. The side characters are just as boring and dull throughout the entire game. What they could've done is to play Nero as an orphan child, and was raised by the Order to become a member. That way we can get the chance to know the characters and empathize with their struggles and plight they've going through of fighting demons.

The story of DMC4 should've took place playing as Vergil that met a woman he loved and cared for, until she was murdered by demons. That explains why he finally decides to embrace his demonic heritage, because he sees his human side as weak and inferior. That's why he believes in power and strength, because he has a traumatic experience of the death of his mother and the love of his life. And left Nero in the care of the order, and start Nero's story from there.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Imagine calling Bingo Morihashi a good writer when he's at least half the reason the extended cast feels so superfluous
That's not entirely fair. He wrote what was asked of him, to include all of those characters, to add all of those DmC references, to include Dante in 4, even when they didn't want to, and turned Gloria into Trish in disguise. 3 had a good story so I'm willing to believe he has skills. Then again, he wrote for the anime and 4 & 5's novels were... Well, let's just say he's shown to have skill so I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Let me put it this way: It's not the defeat the villain/save the day that bothers me. It's the way they create it, and what they're doing is far too repetitive.
I'm actually in the middle of writing about this, though, my thoughts are a bit different.

Vergil95

Nero was just a mess to begin with. He's just a Dante-look-a-like, has the same personality except he's a edgy teenager, and he has no depth. The side characters are just as boring and dull throughout the entire game. What they could've done is to play Nero as an orphan child, and was raised by the Order to become a member. That way we can get the chance to know the characters and empathize with their struggles and plight they've going through of fighting demons.

The story of DMC4 should've took place playing as Vergil that met a woman he loved and cared for, until she was murdered by demons. That explains why he finally decides to embrace his demonic heritage, because he sees his human side as weak and inferior. That's why he believes in power and strength, because he has a traumatic experience of the death if his mother and the love of his life. And left Nero in the care of the order, and start Nero's story from there.
I don't think so, nero and dante are two completely different characters, just like solid snake and naked snake, despite them look alike

I actually prefer the original story, of vergil needing more power because he couldn't save his mother, just like the last chapter of vision of V shows us

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
That's not entirely fair. He wrote what was asked of him, to include all of those characters, to add all of those DmC references, to include Dante in 4, even when they didn't want to, and turned Gloria into Trish in disguise. 3 had a good story so I'm willing to believe he has skills. Then again, he wrote for the anime and 4 & 5's novels were... Well, let's just say he's shown to have skill so I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

At that point it's just easier to write it off as Beginner's Luck. He honestly has more misses than hits and he's being excused because he wrote the story to the "best" DMC game in the series and it hinges on a clear retcon to "Vergil was assumed dead for 20 straight years". The failures in the script for 4 and 5 can't all be conveniently someone else's fault due to "time constraints" and "demands from higher-ups", seeing as, of course, the novels. It's his vision that's flawed once you take extenuating circumstances out of the equation.

DarkSlayerVergil

I don't think so, nero and dante are two completely different characters, just like solid snake and naked snake, despite them look alike

I actually prefer the original story, of vergil needing more power because he couldn't save his mother, just like the last chapter of vision of V shows us
But this flies straight out the window when Vergil craps all over his mother memory by undoing her and Sparda seal in 3. This basically would cause people to experince the same loss he endured (if he even cared to begin with). Vergil is best when he's not played to be a sympathetic/tragic figure as that's what we have Dante (or at least as much wasn't retconned out by three) and more so played off as whiny entitled bratty brother that believed he was superior to everyone due to his heritage because of said heritage thought himself worthy of his father power. Knowing full well that Sparda and Eva would heavily disapprove of his actions.

Vergil95

But this flies straight out the window when Vergil craps all over his mother memory by undoing her and Sparda seal in 3. This basically would cause people to experince the same loss he endured (if he even cared to begin with). Vergil is best when he's not played to be a sympathetic/tragic figure as that's what we have Dante (or at least as much wasn't retconned out by three) and more so played off as whiny entitled bratty brother that believed he was superior to everyone due to his heritage because of said heritage thought himself worthy of his father power. Knowing full well that Sparda and Eva would heavily disapprove of his actions.
There s more than that
Vergil saw himself weak the day he could not fight Back mundus demons and save his mother but he also hates her because she wasn't able to help him and abandoned him, so he saw humanity and his human half as a weakness...
That's why he wanted power, he saw himself as weak and last chapter of vision of V let us see this, when he meet the boy who wanted to save his mother, he had. Vision of himself beign massacred bu mundus minion, and just look at how he talk to that boy, calling him weak because he is unable to protect both himself and his mother...
that boy is just like vergil was that day when mundus minion attacked his house...

Vergil is more complicated than you think, he is full of contrasting emotion and feeling, it's not just a bad or good guy

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
But this flies straight out the window when Vergil craps all over his mother's memory by undoing her and Sparda seal in 3. This basically would cause people to experince the same loss he endured (if he even cared to begin with). Vergil is best when he's not played to be a sympathetic/tragic figure as that's what we have Dante (or at least as much wasn't retconned out by three) and more so played off as whiny entitled bratty brother that believed he was superior to everyone due to his heritage because of said heritage thought himself worthy of his father power. Knowing full well that Sparda and Eva would heavily disapprove of his actions.

Pretty much this. 5 failed by playing too heavily into "sympathetic fandom interpretation" that absolved Vergil of his transgressions by pinning it on how he wanted to feel protected and thought Dante was the favored son, at which point they have to retcon something that was explicitly stated and reiterated in various media ( Dante's "My mother risked her life to save me" line in 1, Mundus's "The true enemy was you, Eva!" spiel in Viewtiful Joe, Dante's flashback in 3's manga of Eva warning him to hide as she draws the demons' attentions from his hiding place by setting herself as a distraction) to entertain Vergil's entitlement issues by saying "Actually, she died looking for you, so she loved you after all!" It's like when Loki ranted at Thor about being in his shadow and being "cast off into the abyss" in 2012 Avengers when he deliberately let go just because he heard the word "No". sometimes, entitled whiner genocidal maniacs are exactly that and their delusions can't be entertained. Imagined slights, indeed.

For a guy that wanted to be protected by his mother, he sure didn't care when he hired a man that murdered his own wife and orphaned their daughter, and then expected that man to murder the daughter too, huh?

And for that matter, Dante should have cared much more about what Vergil was doing precisely because of the memory of his mother if not the father on whose name he swore he'd kill Mundus. Regardless about how he felt about Sparda, Eva still died to demons, and whoever ordered that attack was still out there, and both twins should have had that informing their actions instead of some bizarre fujoshi-bait tunnel vision where they're each the only thing that matters to the other at the exclusion of everyone else.

Top Bottom