• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

Z218

the man with doubts

Not about reviewing RWBY but commenting on the hatedom portion in fandom. The youtube critic is also a writer so that brings a different POV than most other fans. Thought it might be something people here might appreciate it.

Update- on my third draft of my spec tv pilot but I'm trapped in between writer's block/depression.

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
Twitter
sol_elemental
Welp, been working on my short story and not sure who long it should be... hm. Gotta figure that one out. lol But, I've been enjoying the story so far. I also want to post it up on a writing site as well. >.> Just need to look at which writing site to upload it. @_@ And remember the passwords too.

Thread starter #503

Shadow

Dead Witch Walking
Gold Supporter
I've been thinking about one of my fantasy stories and...like...what if I didn't set any possible romances in stone but, instead, showed the possibility of how they could start and left it open to reader interpretation? That way I don't have to deal with a tacked on romance and anyone can ship whoever they like together. I feel like that'd be nice for the readers? What do you guys think?

Also, why are so many fantasy series so gloom-and-doom? I get there's scary monsters and stuff, but you really want me to believe no one in this world has a sense of humour? That literally everyone has depression? That no one has been happy ever? I'm not expecting a D&D session's level of hilarity, but maybe a couple jokes. People not too concerned about the monsters outside the town because they've been there the last millennia and aren't going away anytime soon. "Aye, I've got goblins in my basement again" "Did you try hitting them with a broom?" "Yeah; didn't do anything" "maybe they'll leave on their own while we're down at the pub". Idk, I guess I want stories about genuine people and don't understand why fantasy writers are determined to make everyone in their novels miserable.

Rebel Dynasty

Flame of Olympus
Gold Supporter
Twitter
ShannonRohrer1
^I've noticed that with a fair bit of Epic and High Fantasy. Sometimes I think the authors are so concerned with following the formulae of those who were successful before, they forget to make their people with their own personalities. ._.

And I'm totally in favour of your keeping the romance angle open in your story. ^^ Honestly, I think it would be really refreshing; especially if it kept people guessing all the way through.