• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
There are people right now complaining about characters being compared to food (in terms of colour). I could ask a long series of questions about why exactly this is a big issue to them and I'd love to do a psych interview with them, but, taking just one point of interest from their...uh...essays, I'm just going to ask this one question: when, exactly, is it more flattering to have your skin compared to a cliff face instead of food? Because, as weird as it was that one time I was told my skin looks like a cookie, I'd rather look like a cookie than a cliff face. :unsure: Just a thought.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I'm probably never going to be satisfied with the Prologue. The stupid thing is, it plays out just as I want it to--but I feel like it falls short in the technical aspects. I have no effing clue on how to make it better, and being the stubborn idiot I am, I refuse to do a full rewrite on it. Rewrite any other scene giving me this much grief? I'm all over it. But the Prologue? Nope. Too effing attached for my own good. >.>

Maybe it's not lacking as much as I think it is. Maybe it's just because I've read it a hundred times... :unsure:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I'm probably never going to be satisfied with the Prologue. The stupid thing is, it plays out just as I want it to--but I feel like it falls short in the technical aspects. I have no effing clue on how to make it better, and being the stubborn idiot I am, I refuse to do a full rewrite on it. Rewrite any other scene giving me this much grief? I'm all over it. But the Prologue? Nope. Too effing attached for my own good. >.>

Maybe it's not lacking as much as I think it is. Maybe it's just because I've read it a hundred times... :unsure:

Have you tried rewriting it in a totally different style? Not just tweaking it, but entirely rewriting it? Where you're not looking at the original doc or your notes at any point in the process? It might end up a bust, but it might give you an idea what you feel needs to be prioritized or, at the very least, freshen your thoughts for it up a little. That way you can compare the drafts later or go into the next edits with a clear head.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
@Shadow It bears consideration. Much as I'd hate to rewrite it, at the end, it might be the only recourse. If the full rewrite of the Prologue isn't favourable, perhaps parts of it will be, and can be put in place of those areas I find lacking in the current version. ^^;

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
@Trish67 You mean from one scene to another, or within a single scene? -Feels your pain- If you need any help, I'd be happy to try. ^^

Current writerly thoughts: In retrospect, I feel kind of silly for the writerly angst. So far, the edits are coming along really well. Or so I hope. ^^; Things look a lot better than I thought they would, at any rate.

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
So, I currently working on some character bio sheets. Lol I'm really enjoying it. Also going to write a short story mixed with folk lore/fables and such. The first short story is going to be with little red ridding hood who gose missing when she gose to visit her grandma. Lol

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Hmm...I wonder if I should double-back a bit, elaborate on some of the alliances Reeves gained upon his exodus from Nowhere...or is it better off being left as is? Both ideas have merit: the former because aside from Iris pretty much hand-picking the Akuma for him, nothing is shown of how he gained the nameless multitude under his command (shadows not included). The latter, because sometimes it's better to let the readers make some inferences of their own. Don't want to do all their thinking for them, right?

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Apparently the chapter I'm about to post made mum really sad and almost made her cry...this should be fun. I can't wait to see the reviews....

The only thing I can't decide is whether to bother posting fanfiction to Inkitt anymore....

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
The woes of trying to pick up where you left off on a document you've barely looked at since it's creation (four months ago).

All the more reason to make my focus the prequels on the weekends. Gods, I hope I can get back into the feeling that comes with it. @_@

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
You ever go into a fic and the intro alone lets you know this fic is going to be a terrible read just because of the style? I feel so guilty because the author seems really sweet and has been very nice to me, but their fic...it just screams "this is the first thing I've written and I have no idea how to do this". I don't want to send them a critique, but I also don't want to be facetious and send them praise where it's not due. x_x This is awkward.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
(I've probably bitched about this before, but since my edits have by and large involved keeping my eyes open for this particular issue, it seems appropriate to vent about it again--especially now that I've got a much clearer view of it than I did when someone last whined about it).

It's official: I'm ignoring people who say Gwen "cries too much" in WoN. I have gone through 3/4 of the story, and every single time she's cried thus far has been warranted--and I guarantee the next (and last) time she does will be too, considering what happens. Hint: When someone you care about dies right in front of you, you ****ing cry.

Besides which, it actually hasn't been as frequently as they've made it out to be. I also notice a great many of those people like to say what they'd do in her situation, and a lot of the things they say they'd do have me calling, "bullshit"; we, none of us, would be that ****ing brave facing down monsters. People are so full of ****, it's coming out their ears.

That said, I have a sneaking suspicion I'll need to tone it down a smidge by FotS; I can think of at least one occasion where it feels like a bit much. :cautious:

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
I know it's a stupid name, but it fits the character damnit.
Detective Mann, if you say it without context, it's Detective Man. Then the smarks go "then does that make him a superhero detective? Ha lulzor" then he just goes off and solves a murder. plus, it's not his real name, so everyone just stops looking deeper.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Royal titles are one of the most confusing things I've ever had to write out. @_@ Do I capitalize them like a name? Do I leave them lowercase like when I refer to a parent? Why is there no guideline for this?

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Royal titles are one of the most confusing things I've ever had to write out. @_@ Do I capitalize them like a name? Do I leave them lowercase like when I refer to a parent? Why is there no guideline for this?

I think it depends on the context. Like if you put "the prince", it's okay in lowercase. But if you put, "Prince Harold", or if you have someone addressing them, then it's uppercase? And I feel your pain; I always have to think twice about it with words like "Commander", "Lieutenant", "Lordship/Ladyship". x_x

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
The fact that some of the things that get published make it past editing pains me. (This is what I'm referring to: Link Warning: NSFW content...and terrible writing)

+ C'mon brain, we wrote a one shot yesterday. We can do another today! We can do it!

Top Bottom