• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Writers, please, I beseech you: if you see a fellow writer getting bullied or picked on for no reason, please, please, please say something. Tell the bullies to stop. Offer support for your fellow writers. Don't just stand by and let this continue to happen. Writers have problems enough without us not helping each other.
I second this!
I'm always trying to encourage and support my fellow writers when I can.
I'm also anti-bullying. I'm known for turning on a mega-fan on behalf of others when there's :poop: being flung their way.
So if anyone here is being bullied, or know of someone being bullied, and need some backup, see this as my calling card.
I'm good at confrontations. I've got screenshots as reference if anyone wants to see my resume of online altercations.

Personal cyber-guard
Bullies on your back?
Rep at stake?
Hit me up.
(fee charge of cyber biscuits/cookies applicable for services rendered)

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
So I finally feel like I've got something worth publishing.
I set myself a serious goal to get this thing to satisfactory standard so I can submit it by the end of this year.
It's taken me well over nearly two decades to wrap my head around the whole publishing deal, because before now I really wasn't all that interested. So now that I've finally made up my mind.

No. Of course my left hand will get worse.
Of course it's some tunnel issue or 'nother.
Of course I'll need to have surgery.
Oh, yes, of course it will be in a splint 6 weeks after that.
I mean.
tumblr_inline_obhzjaNpvt1rqb07t_500.gif

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Warning: This is a self-pitying rant. While I hate these kinds of things as much (if not more) than you guys probably do, it is something I need to get off my chest in order to move past it. I'm not expecting anything from this; absolutely nada. Just saying my piece so that I can shake off those negative feelings.

I'm really tired of feeling like my work is being bypassed. Of my writerly social circles--some of which occasionally overlap, but mostly are separate--only one gives my work any mind...and that circle consists of like, two other people. I mean, I'm sure a lot of people won't understand why this bothers me, considering WoN has gained a fair number of readers, primarily on Wattpad. But to be frank, only a few opinions there really matter to me. The rest are nice to have, but they aren't what I thirst for.

I know this probably sounds pathetic, but what I thirst for is acknowledgment from my peers; from those other writers/readers I correspond with, those I actually hold in high esteem... But more often than not, I find my work being casually shrugged off, while they seek to support other writers we mutually know. I do everything I can--everything I can--to treat each of my writing friends equally. If they need a second pair of eyes, I'm there. They need an opinion? I'm there. The list goes on. And yet, there seems to be some sort of favouritism when the role's reversed; I either get half-baked responses (in which I'm given to wonder if they actually read the source material, or just skimmed it) or I get ignored outright. Why the hell am I constantly doing all I can to be supportive and helpful, just to be treated as the low man on the totem pole when I'm in need?

Given the fact that it's not something easy for me to admit (I suck at asking for help) it always comes as something of a punch to the gut when my pleas fall on deaf ears.

Don't get me wrong; I'm grateful for those few who have taken the time (and continue to take the time) to bolster my spirits and help where they can. It just feels like many of the people I think highly of clearly don't think the same of me.

Sorry for the long post. ._. You can just go about your business, now.

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Not really a rant, but a question for you guys, since I seem to be struggling with this a lot lately:

Since there seems to be this stigma when it comes to a writer replying to critical commentary by defending their work, I was just wondering: do you think it's still unprofessional/unreasonable to clarify something about your work in response to said comments, even if it's done in a civil, friendly manner? Or is it permissible to point out your perspective on something (say, a character's actions/emotional state/attitude) during certain events?

If clarification is needed, I can provide an example.

Last edited:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Not really a rant, but a question for you guys, since I seem to be struggling with this a lot lately:

Since there seems to be this stigma when it comes to a writer replying to critical commentary by defending their work, I was just wondering: do you think it's still unprofessional/unreasonable to clarify something about your work in response to said comments, even if it's done in a civil, friendly manner? Or is it permissible to point out your perspective on something (say, a character's actions/emotional state/attitude) during certain events?

If clarification is needed, I can provide an example.

I think writers should always be able to defend their work. Especially if the person critiquing it has misunderstood it.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Defend it with whatever material is present in the work itself. Depending on the criticism, they might be missing something, or jumping to conclusions, which is easy enough to clarify; like you and I talking about "did you see how Dylock and Chorem handled their company tags?" because it's something noticeable in the story itself.

Of course, if you must respond, rule number one is to always be kind :p It's not bad to want to defend your work, or even help someone understand something. Criticism comes from two places: legitimate fundamentals, and incongruous conclusions. The latter is easier to debate than the former.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Defend it with whatever material is present in the work itself. Depending on the criticism, they might be missing something, or jumping to conclusions, which is easy enough to clarify; like you and I talking about "did you see how Dylock and Chorem handled their company tags?" because it's something noticeable in the story itself.

Of course, if you must respond, rule number one is to always be kind :p It's not bad to want to defend your work, or even help someone understand something. Criticism comes from two places: legitimate fundamentals, and incongruous conclusions. The latter is easier to debate than the former.

I must have managed polite better than I thought, because it didn't scare the person in question off. :laugh: Their statement also was definitely of the "incongruous conclusions" variety. In a nutshell, a lot of people tend to have a linear view of what character growth can be--but to me, that growth is intended to have dips and valleys, because people in real life go through change in the same way. All I did was point that out in reference to one character's behaviour, given the context of said behaviour (i.e. grieving a loss).

Thanks TxA, and thanks @Shadow. ^^ The input is much appreciated, since I'm never really sure where the line is on the matter. It's a relief that I don't have to keep silent, lol.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
My art teacher would be slapping me inside out if she could see me now. I hate anatomy. I hate perspective. I hate shadows. I hate light. My 'angel' looks like a dead fish with vampire teeth instead of ethereal.
And the pit.
Oh, man. I can't even begin to explain everything that is wrong with it.
Yeah, yeah, I'm just planning it out at the moment but good grief. Is this what a first draft novel would look like in art form? Me thinks yes.

At least Arthur is coming out alright. Although I still think there are a couple of curls too many.
And I really, really, really don't want to do his feet. Maybe I can hide them behind the brim of the pit?
Well. After I FIXED the pit, anyway.

I don't know how artists do this for a living. I feel like throwing something!

But dammit, I'ma do this book cover-poster thing, even if I'd rather drink scalding black filter coffee without sugar than stand around fussing with this. (which, no, spew)

I need an easel.
That would probably help a lot with the perspective issue.
But sheesh.
:banghead::banghead:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
"Why is she so frightened all the time?"

Okay, one: she's not frightened all the time. The only time she's frightened is at the start of the story (because it makes freaking sense), and once she gets used to the company she's keeping, she's only frightened for two other reasons: heights, and bad guys--and as said bad guys tend to be monsters a lot of the time, and since she has been injured as a result in past scenes, I don't think it's unreasonable for Gwen to lock up every now and then.

Considering this is also the first book, there's this cute little thing (and I cannot stress this enough) called "character growth/development". She's not a hero by nature; it's going to take her a bit more time to come into this role, and...ugh. >.> Why do I even bother?

It's a good thing we have this thread, because if I actually allowed myself to be snarky with readers over what should be obvious, I guarantee a lot more people would have jumped ship by now.

Last edited:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Finding out one of my old writing buddies went a bit mental and did something to one of my other old writing buddies has me sitting here, torn between "you're okay, right?" and "what happened?" Except I really don't want to ask what happened because they'd been friends for years and, if that was enough to tear them apart, I'm kinda scared. :S What is it about writers when we snap...? >_<

--

I don't think this story will ever be done. 85 pages in and it feels like I have so much more I need to write and no time.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I think I have no choice but to take hubby's advice. Between the headaches these past few days and the feeling of being disconnected from the characters, the only way to salvage things is to take a few days off and read what I have of the trilogy so far. Maybe if I go back to their roots, and get to view their growth (and the growth of their relationships), it'll help me get back into their heads.

It's not like I don't want to work with them anymore; quite the opposite. But for some reason, it's just been hard to really get into their mindsets and moods of late. ._. This had better pass. I'm too close to TMT's end for this ****, not to mention those prequels will happen, come hell or high water--though at least with those, I can take as long as I bloody well like. The trilogy is top priority.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
For anyone struggling creatively right now:

"One reason that people have artist’s block is that they do not respect the law of dormancy in nature. Trees don’t produce fruit all year long, constantly. They have a point where they go dormant. And when you are in a dormant period creatively, if you can arrange your life to do the technical tasks that don’t take creativity, you are essentially preparing for the spring when it will all blossom again."
-Marshall Vandruff

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I have this reoccurring writing nightmare that I’ll get a good way into a story and I’ll realize I forgot to add an important plot piece. And it’s almost always just paranoia but I just did it. The important plot piece being characterization before the plot’s inciting incident. So…basically, I forgot to give my MC a starting point in her personality. -insert much cursing here- Uuuuuuugh. Now to go back and rewrite the entire first chapter. At least I’m only 30 pages in to the story. But, still. -headwalls- Whyyyyyyyyyy?! :'(

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Writers, tell me if this is something you've had happen.

Okay, so around the time that I first started outlining my second novel (so about a year or so ago), I came up with another antagonist; Sitri. Now, there are characters whose names I have selected from mythology and demonology lists before, but I swear to whatever sentient force(s) govern this world--Sitri was not one of them. At least, not knowingly.

So, due to a demon form Mirajane (a character from Fairy Tail) uses by the same name, I've literally just looked Sitri up. First, I'm going to show you a quote from the article on Sitri, then I'll show you the basic bio/appearance of my character of the same name.

This prince among demons has the form of a man with the head of a leopard and the wings of a griffin, though he will change to human form if the conjurer requests it. It is said that in human form he is quite handsome and dangerously charming.

Some believe that Sitri is the same being as the ancient Egyptian god Seth (aka Set). Seth was the Egyptian god of Chaos and Darkness and was largely believed to be evil. He tricked and murdered others who got in his way - most famously his beloved brother, the Egyptian god Osiris. Sitri and Seth seem to share an affinity for chaos, trickery, and darkness, and like the demon Amon, Sitri has enough in common with his Egyptian alter-ego to make this comparison intriguing. Whether they are the same being or not, neither Sitri nor Seth are beings to attempt to conjure as both have the capacity to be extremely dangerous.

Okay, My Sitri's bio:

Sitri

Physical Appearance: Humanoid, though sporting large, brown and white feathered wings, each one the length of his body; has deep, golden, cat-tilted eyes, with a long nose, that tapers off, looking rather feline; darkly tanned, with short hair, except for one long, reddish-blonde lock falling across his forehead and the length of his jaw; tall, muscular, though still quite elegant-looking; has a tattoo below his left eye in the shape of a Maltese cross.

Attire: Short, leather pants that stop at the knee; his feet and torso are bare. Gold circlets wrap around his upper arms and his right ankle.

Personality: Abrasive and temperamental, he often seems bored while carrying out Apophis’ orders, and with life, in general. He is very arrogant—in his words, as well as his body language. Despite this, he serves as a very capable General in Apophis’ army.

Entity Type: Egyptian Demon, born from the brow of the malevolent Egyptian god, Set; thus, he holds a portion of Set’s power, as well as his dark nature.

I remember sitting and puzzling over a name for a character. I remember deciding to make him the son of Apophis' rival (to the claim of Destroyer god; not in actual mythology), yet having him loyal to Apophis over his own father. I borrowed the "born from the brow of" part from Athena's own origins from Zeus.

But I did not--and I cannot stress this enough, did not--knowingly select his name from the list of demons. The fact that there are such strong similarities and connections is just...wow. The only conclusion I can come to with his name is that I saw it in passing, and plucked it from my subconscious. But beyond that, the rest of what I've posted here on the actual demon I have never read before. Trust me, I remember when I read things.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who's had this happen. ._.

Top Bottom