• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Snyder Cut

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Did nobody else notice that Willem Dafoe's name is on the cast? I have to see Aquaman again.
Willem Defoe's name is in the cast, but Amber Heard's isn't even though we've seen Mera scenes in JL. :ROFL:
Amy Adams has top billing right after Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill, and before the remaining cast of the Justice League. :oops:

I'm digging Christopher Nolan, Chris Terrio, and Ben Affleck (among others) in the Executive Producer credit.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yeah, how is this so amazing looking. Even if the movie sucks I am happy with how visually stunning this movie looks. It's a 4k purchase for me. I'm gettin my subscription on my next pay day, too. They also have Ghibli and classic films there I am dying to check out.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, that's a bit of a shame. I think this trailer would've been far more impactful if I hadn't watched those shorts the last 4 days. A lot of cool stuff was spoiled there. I guess I should try to media blackout this movie till the day of release. Might as well shut it all down for a bit.

Question, though. What is with this "we live in a society" thing? I've never heard the joker mention this but people are losing their minds over it. What's that about?

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Well, that's a bit of a shame. I think this trailer would've been far more impactful if I hadn't watched those shorts the last 4 days. A lot of cool stuff was spoiled there. I guess I should try to media blackout this movie till the day of release. Might as well shut it all down for a bit.

Question, though. What is with this "we live in a society" thing? I've never heard the joker mention this but people are losing their minds over it. What's that about?
Short explanation: It's a series of macros of the Joker with edgy cringe "social commentary" attached to it, whether ironic or sincere depends on who's creating it.

Long explanation: "We live in a society" is more or less one long-running joke that started with people (read: Gamers, see also "incels" or "Nice Guys") using images of the Joker captioned with edgy or cringeworthy texts (without the quote) about how the women they want only date "jocks", how Gamers have superior "traits" (use your imagination for that one) compared to jocks, or how Gamersown perceived high intelligence is what caused their rejection from functioning social circles, while those who remained in the circles were inferior sheep for going along with the crowd. As the meme bled into the rest of the internet it turned into an ironic macro to dunk on the edgelords for being that socially maladjusted and having no sense of self-awareness to the point where they'd idolize an obvious villain and/or buy into any interpretation where the Joker is declared "super sane", "hyper aware of the fact that he's in a comic", or as TDK Joker puts it, "not a monster, just ahead of the curve". The latter group started using "We live in a society" to satirize those fake-deep "philosophical" quotes from the former group.

The actual line of "We live in a society" is probably a variation of a line George Costanza said in The Chinese Restaurant episode of Seinfeld, where he went into a sanctimonious rant of, "We're living in a society! We're supposed to act in a civilized way. [...] Does anyone ever display the slightest sensitivity over the problems of a fellow individual? No. No. A resounding no!" over not being able to use a payphone. He immediately drops his hyper-machismo act the second the person using the payphone apologizes for taking so long, because the point of his character is that he's a neurotic and spineless coward who fails to assert himself in appropriate ways.

Snyder including it in a trailer and having the Joker say the line in a way that makes sense (near the end of the world, with few heroes left) is a) making the line an Ascended Meme, and b) an additional dunk on pseudointellectuals.

Last edited:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021

Vanity Fair: Justice League: The Shocking, Exhilarating, Heartbreaking True Story of #TheSnyderCut

Excerpts (read the whole article anyway):

Reports that Snyder himself asked Whedon for help were false. Johns, one of the studio-appointed babysitters, had been planning a Batgirl movie with Whedon, and Snyder and others say Johns recruited him to do rewrites for Justice League. (Johns’s representatives didn’t respond to a request for comment.)
“Zack went through something very difficult, and I think he probably realized, like we all do, it’s okay to be vulnerable. For those of us lucky enough to know him and Deborah, he’s a very soulful, kind, thoughtful human being. He’s got this façade of big action movies and all these bravado things, but there’s a sweet kindness to him.”

At a time of stories of abusive creators, Snyder is an anomaly. Even executives who were sometimes at odds with him agree that he’s genuinely nice. “I’d be stronger than that,” says Silverman. “He’s a wonderful guy and fostered a wonderful working environment on his sets. He really valued the crew. He valued his cast.”
Snyder cringes at descriptions of the abusive tactics [from trolls]. “I 100 percent think it’s wrong,” he says. “I don’t think that anyone should be calling anyone anything. I’ve always tried to give people in the fandom attention who do good things.”
Initially, says Snyder, Warner Bros. just wanted to release the raw footage on his laptop. “I was like, ‘That’s a no, that’s a hard no,’” he says. “And they’re like, ‘But why? You can just put up the rough cut.’” Snyder didn’t trust their motivations. “I go, ‘Here’s why. Three reasons: One, you get the internet off your back, which is probably your main reason for wanting to do this. Two, you get to feel vindicated for making things right, I guess, on some level. And then three, you get a ****ty version of the movie that you can point at and go, ‘See? It’s not that good anyway. So maybe I was right.’ I was like, No chance. I would rather just have the Snyder cut be a mythical unicorn for all time.”

Snyder estimates that it cost around $70 million to undo Whedon’s redo. For that, HBO Max gets four hours of hotly anticipated programming—and the Hollywood comeback story of a lifetime. Snyder himself gets nothing. “I’m not getting paid,” he says. He was paid the first time, of course. This time, he wants creative control, and forgoing a fee helped. “I didn’t want to be beholden to anyone, and it allowed me to keep my negotiating powers with these people pretty strong.”

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
The end of that teaser says "Now Streaming". Barry ran all the way to March 18 I guess. :ROFL:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Getting a bit exited, are they? Thursday after next. If I think about it too much I'll explode so I only invest minute a day to it. Any more than that I'll have a hard time staying away from videos, threads and theories, which all lead to spoilers and this one I want to go in as blind as I can. I can hold off for 10 days. That's doable.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
This is gonna be a harder 10 days for ZSJL fans than the entire month of November was to.... yeah nvm. Have some random pictures and memes.

ge607yixgfl61.jpg

93dun5iugol61.jpg

l6vgr2p7tqk61.jpg

Top Bottom