• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The DMC series

Danf

Hello everybody,

since i have much time atm i started to go back to my ps2/Gamecube and play some good old games. A friend came to me and brought this game. Its name was "Devil may Cry" for Playstation 2. I never heard of game before and tbh, it looked pretty ****ty and i expected some easy game. After playing 2 hrs i ordered dmc2 + dmc 3 Special edition (very hard mode in PAL Version). Amazing game.

I searched for some newer games (ps3/ps4) and found these titles:
- DMC 4 (ps3)
- DMC: Devil may cry (ps3)
- DMC: HD Collection (ps3)
- DMC 4 (ps4)
- DMC: Definitve Edition (ps4)

And i have to say, that im not sure if these titles are entire new games or just remakes with better graphics, so i wanted to ask in the DMC forum if someone can help me with this topic. Is there any game from these above (or maybe i did not found every game) which i HAVE to play. I am really not interested in better graphics, i just want to suck in the whole DMC series :D

It is really sad that i never heard of DMC before. It seems that Capcom did some poor Marketing over here in Germany.

Thank you for reading, thank you for helping,
Greetings
Dan

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
DMC4: Special Edition is a remaster of DMC4 with 3 more playable characters, DMC HD Collection is an HD remaster of the first 3 DMC games, and DmC: Definitive Edition is a remasted of 2013's DmC (which is a reboot of the franchise, an alternate universe) with a bunch of rebalances and new difficulty levels.

Those are the remasters of the bunch, so if you don't have the basic version of them, look up for those.

Danf

Thanks for you answer.

So, just to be sure, i should buy dmc4/dmc4 CE and DMC: Definitive Edition, right?

Greetings

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Yeah if you got a PS4 then go for DMC4: Special Edition and DmC: Definitive Edition. Although DMC4SE is also on PC, if you're interested in trainers to modify the game to get better at it (or even just cosmetic mods). After all, DMC is all about learning its deep combat system.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Thanks for you answer.

So, just to be sure, i should buy dmc4/dmc4 CE and DMC: Definitive Edition, right?

Greetings
Just a word of advice. When you get DmC: Definitive Edtion, verify your ability to return the game. Since it's a reboot it's not universally loved. There's a 50/50 chance that you might love it or hate it, there really almost no one in the middle ground. You should definitely give it a chance to see if it's your cup o' tea but don't be surprised if it's not.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Just a word of advice. When you get DmC: Definitive Edtion, verify your ability to return the game. Since it's a reboot it's not universally loved. There's a 50/50 chance that you might love it or hate it, there really almost no one in the middle ground. You should definitely give it a chance to see if it's your cup o' tea but don't be surprised if it's not.

C'mon man don't put him already in the trench.

berto

I Saw the Devil
It's a fair warning. I don't want him to get stuck with a game he might not like, specially if he decides to buy digital which is still at full price and refunding is hard to get. It's not as though I told him to love or hate it Just to be mindful of his purchase. At this point I doubt will give him lip for trying it out, anyway.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
If which versions, well you already have the 2 and 3 ordered, so the HD Collection isn't needed.

For DMC4, the special edition has more playable characters and features. But as of now, there are no physical versions released outside of Japan (I'm still waiting for my copy from Amazon....2 weeks late). So I honestly recommend getting the PS3 version, unless you don't mind not having a physical copy.

For DmC, the Definitive Editon all the way. The vanilla version for PS3 is s#it in comparison, the Definitive Edition is the way to go.

Danf

Hey, thanks again, i think i will just end DMC 3 and watch some vids after that. Because idk, DMC 2 was literally one of the worst games i ever played. i started today, but i lost it at the level with the tanks and helicopter. I am not sure how they were able to take a awesome game like DMC1 and release something like DMC 2 lol. DMC 3 seems pretty nice tho :)
BTW, is there a way to start at hard/very hard from the beginning?

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Hey, thanks again, i think i will just end DMC 3 and watch some vids after that. Because idk, DMC 2 was literally one of the worst games i ever played. i started today, but i lost it at the level with the tanks and helicopter. I am not sure how they were able to take a awesome game like DMC1 and release something like DMC 2 lol. DMC 3 seems pretty nice tho :)
Yeah we should have warned you, DMC2's by far the worse game of the series.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

Oh yeah, should've given you some extra warning.

I assume you know about the history of Devil May Cry and how it started?

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
lol, that's exactly what I thought

DMC3 is my favorite, just some advice, go look up some DMC3 combo mad videos on Youtube. When I first started DMC3, I didn't completely understand how important jump canceling is and how much it changes the combat. Also make sure to switch weapons a lot during combat and also during air combat while using jump canceling. In my opinion, learning to master jump canceling so you can pretty much stay in the air as long as there are enemies around while switching weapons and doing some amazing combos is why DMC is the greatest video game series ever created. I wish I could erase Devil May Cry from my memory and start it all over again, you're going to have a blast dude, enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
DMC 3 seems pretty nice tho :)

Yeah. There is a cheat for DMC3 that makes you unlock every difficulty level and every costume.

In the main menu, where there's "New Game", "Load Game", etc, hold R1 + R2 + L1 + L2 + D-pad Up/Left + move left analog stick down/right. When you hear "Devil May Cry" (if I recall correctly, in a deep demonic voice), you're good.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
In the main menu, where there's "New Game", "Load Game", etc, hold R1 + R2 + L1 + L2 + D-pad Up/Left + move left analog stick down/right. When you hear "Devil May Cry" (if I recall correctly, in a deep demonic voice), you're good.

what? i didn't know about this

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Doesn't it only work for the vanilla version though? I tried it with the special edition on the HD collection, and it didn't work.

I know it's real though, I did it years ago for the vanilla version.

Top Bottom