• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The 20th Anniversary is Upon Us.

berto

I Saw the Devil
How time flies. 20 years now. Not sure what I'm going to do on the day of, if anything. Should be celebrating, I guess, but not sure how. It's a few weeks away so I'm sure I'll think of something, or forget during the process.

EkMkjT9VcAU8Dyi

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
The Streets of Rage franchise turned 30 this year too!

First time playing DMC1 was my brother and I in a friend's basement.

Reactions: Meg

berto

I Saw the Devil
First time playing DMC1 was my brother and I in a friend's basement.
First time I played it was when I first moved out on my own.

When I was in school and they first started to get good internet in schools. Me and a friend were in a 3D class and we were looking through video game websites. He was big on Konami and we saw a few of their gameplay videos. He pulled up Capcom's and they were showcasing the technology for Onimusha and the opening cinematic. Then, navigating on my computer, I pulled up DMC1's page. I remember how they showed how you could juggle enemies in the air with your guns and the first thing I remember 'thinking is how do you even play this game?'

When I moved out to my own apartment I had some extra cash that I'd been saving up and I always wanted a PS2 and the first games I had to get while I was at the store picking one up were Kingdom Hearts, MGS2, Oni and DMC1.

Good times.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'll buy it and play it on my ps4. There's also fanfiction to write but I'll see what I come up with at the time.

@berto people have done retrospectives on YouTube so you could add your two cents. Or even a lifestream.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
First time I played it was when I first moved out on my own.

When I was in school and they first started to get good internet in schools. Me and a friend were in a 3D class and we were looking through video game websites. He was big on Konami and we saw a few of their gameplay videos. He pulled up Capcom's and they were showcasing the technology for Onimusha and the opening cinematic. Then, navigating on my computer, I pulled up DMC1's page. I remember how they showed how you could juggle enemies in the air with your guns and the first thing I remember 'thinking is how do you even play this game?'

When I moved out to my own apartment I had some extra cash that I'd been saving up and I always wanted a PS2 and the first games I had to get while I was at the store picking one up were Kingdom Hearts, MGS2, Oni and DMC1.

Good times.
I know before playing the game, the first time I ever seen footage of DMC1 was the preview done by Extended Play (formerly GameSpot TV and before they became X-Play). They showed the Alastor scene, and 11 year old (soon to be 12 during the mid-late summer), was saying "What the hell are you?!"

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I've probably told this story before but I saw an advert for Gungrave on the TV and went to a gamestore to buy it but couldn't remember the name so I vainly tried to explain what I saw to the young-ish clerk and he was like all "this is *totally* what you're looking for kid so just buy it and get out of here, we're busy" and he sold me a copy of the first DMC.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I've probably told this story before but I saw an advert for Gungrave on the TV and went to a gamestore to buy it but couldn't remember the name so I vainly tried to explain what I saw to the young-ish clerk and he was like all "this is *totally* what you're looking for kid so just buy it and get out of here, we're busy" and he sold me a copy of the first DMC.
What a d**k. I hate getting attended by a**holes who treat you like a bother, like you are imposing on them. It's why I don't go to comic book stores. You're not there to indulge your nerd on, you are there to serve the customer. Don't like it don't work in retail.

people have done retrospectives on YouTube so you could add your two cents. Or even a lifestream.
I work too much to do live streams so they're not really my thing, and I already did something like a retrospective, though not as optimistic. I might just play the game or try to do a sculpture. Haven't done one since college. I got a good grade on mine, though I don't know where to buy the clay.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Dude was a dick! I had similar siutation happen to me when I was 19 and looking for a good 3rd party Wii game. This lady at one of our local Gamestops (ironically the only one left in the neighborhood to survive) was hasting us for not buying games fast enough and being in "too long". When we've been minding our own business nor bothering other customers. It got so bad that my older brother threaten to beat the crap out of her, and manager knew we never caused trouble, so he told her not bother us anymore and let us be. Turns out she had a knack for being a biatch to other customers and got fired about a couple months later, because of her attitude. The complaints kept piling too, she had to go.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
a couple months later
Why is it that the a'holes are the ones that don't get fired right away? I've been dismissed for performance or because they didn't like my work and they tossed me out pretty quickly, yet I've seen rude, angry, condescending, drugged out, insufferable pricks of all kinds last forever before finally being kicked to the curve. The only other kind of person I've seen let go, fast, were thieves.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Why is it that the a'holes are the ones that don't get fired right away? I've been dismissed for performance or because they didn't like my work and they tossed me out pretty quickly, yet I've seen rude, angry, condescending, drugged out, insufferable pricks of all kinds last forever before finally being kicked to the curve. The only other kind of person I've seen let go, fast, were thieves.
I know that particualr GameStop was a ****-hole to work at the time between 2007-2013. Almost no one wanted to work there (not that I blame them back then or now), and half the people they hired did not know ass about gaming. Around mid 2013, things got better, and they started getting people with better attitudes and actually know games and consoles. Now it's one of the elite stores.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Welp. Tomorrow's the day and I ended up not planning anything. I guess I'll play the game after work and check to see if there's any activity on Capcom's side, besides a tweet, though, I won't hold my breath.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I'll be busy playing No More Heroes 3 on Friday, so I won't be playing DMC 1 right away. Plus I'll be playing some more Samurai Showdown when I get off work.

berto

I Saw the Devil
E9cPlOTVcAEi-PF

I'm gonna go play the game, now. It's been surprisingly eventful.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I'm surprised that Capcom are still acknowledging that 2 and the reboot exist. Though, with the opinions on them having swung more towards "they did a shocking amount right for what they had" I'm not super surprised in hindsight.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
My older brother bought dmc1 at launch in 2001, he didnt like it much

I loved it and played it loads at the time, i was only 14 then crazy how time flies

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I still wonder how come I never saw my older brother play DMC. He played a lot of video games, at least tried out practically everything, and I can see that DMC would have suited his taste.

That's why I was so confused when I learned DMC it's such an old franchise :LOL:

Top Bottom